2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Callaway LR800 vs. Leupold GX-1

Opinions, comparisons, and eBay pricing
My search for a rangefinder has led me to narrow it down to these two models. Unfortunately, the local golf store that I like to support carries neither, nor does the local Dick's etc. I've been looking online, and can find retailers selling the GX-1 at $300 (free shipping) and the LR800 at $360-400 (free shipping).

When I look at eBay, I see new units of both, but the prices are reversed. The Leupold can't be had for less than about $280, whereas I can find the LR800 as low as $250. Is anybody aware of whether the Callaway units online are more likely to be refurbished units, or whether they are genuinely new? Many of these are from power sellers with extensively good feedback profiles. But the price disparity just causes a little gnawing question.

I've read pretty much every review I can find (Critical Golf, Sandtrap, and retailer sites) and, honestly can't find any reason to prefer one of these over the other. So, if you own or have tried one (or both) and have something that you feel it does better than the other model (or just something that you particularly like) please feel free to point it out. I'm just looking for *something* to nudge me off the fence in one direction or another.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have the GX-1, bought a brand new off of ebay for $225. Great price. It worked okay for the first two rounds and then I started having problems with it. It stopped working and I had to send it back to Leupold. There was no questions asked on why, how, or where I got it. They put it through some tests and sent me another brand new in the box. The bad part was, it took them six weeks to test it and get it back to me. When I would call to check on the status, I would average about 15 minutes on hold waiting for a service rep. In the end, they said it had a bad circuit board. I asked if that is a common problem and they said no.

Now that I have it back, it is working incredibly. It can lock on to a pin at 200 yards in about 8 seconds and that is standing in the fairway holding it with one hand. My buddy has the Nikon 550, which is not as good as the 800 model, but it can't touch my GX working the way it is now. The last round I played, we had a 17 year old high school player with us that just got a range finder for Xmas. He is a good player. He literally stood over a ball for 3 solid minutes trying to lock onto a flag from about 155 yards. I was about ten yards in front of him and locked onto the same flag under ten seconds.

I am thrilled with mine now. I wasn't thrilled with it while I waited for six weeks, but it is awesome now.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

• 4 weeks later...

I have the leopold GX-1...bought on the strength of reviews on this site....very easy to get the distances...easy to lock on...only criticism...and it is a small one...is that the distance appears in the top left corner of the viewer...and is occasionally difficult to see first time.

I have never used the Callaway so can't comment on it...however I would recommend the leupold.

• 2 weeks later...

I've used both and they're very similar. The Nikon has slightly larger yardage numbers and they're more centrally located on the display so it's a little easier to see the number. But once you get used the placement on the Leupold you'd be fine.

I personally like the way the Nikon Monarch 800 works better than the Callaway versions. The Callaways constantly hunt for 8 seconds once you press the button, which makes the numbers bounce around constantly. The Monarch is slightly different, you press once to turn it on, then press on any target to get a yardage. Or, you can also press and hold to hunt like the Callaway versions.

[quote name='biscuity' date='09 February 2010 - 02:07 PM' timestamp='1265746025' post='2239068']
Interesting. One of my friends has a Callaway LR550 that hunts/scans for 8 seconds when you press the button. I'm surprised they didn't make it the same for both versions.
[/quote]

Correct, they are different. The LR550 only has one mode, scan mode, and it blinks continuously for 8 seconds after you lock onto the target. If you move it around, it will lock on to other targets and give you the yardage for those other targets. It does have first priority mode, though, so it should give you the yardage of the pin even if you move off of it slightly. The LR800 has two modes, target mode and scan mode, the latter of which is activitated by holding down the button.

This is an interesting thread. I am torn between the GX-I and the LR550, but the truth is that I like the LR800 better than both of them. The GX-I would be in my bag today if it weren't for the fact that the yardage is displayed so high in the viewfinder. I wear glasses, which probably doesn't help as my eyes aren't flush with the eyepiece (my glasses are). I find that with the GX-I I actually have to take my eyes of the target in order to see the yardage. It's very distracting. Sometimes I feel like I can't see it at all. With the LR550, the yardage is very prominent just above the center of the screen and there's no need to move your eyes at all. The downside of the LR550 is the color (yellow) and the scan mode (which is always on). The LR800 solves both of those problems, but the major downside with the LR800 is cost. Whereas the LR550 is $299.99 at Golfsmith, the LR800 is $429.99. If the LR800 came down to $349.99, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

e

You should look for the Nikon Monarch 800 (at a hunting store? I don't hunt..).
As far as I know, it is the same as the Callaway LR800 except that it has two modes: First Target Priority Mode and Distance Target Priority Mode. You want the First Target Mode (I believe Distance may be the default).
Then, you call Callaway for a replacement cover, if you care.

Voila.

[quote name='h_baden' date='09 February 2010 - 07:26 PM' timestamp='1265765162' post='2239942']
You should look for the Nikon Monarch 800 (at a hunting store? I don't hunt..).
As far as I know, it is the same as the Callaway LR800 except that it has two modes: First Target Priority Mode and Distance Target Priority Mode. You want the First Target Mode (I believe Distance may be the default).
Then, you call Callaway for a replacement cover, if you care.

Voila.
[/quote]

Funny you should mention this. I actually called Callaway to ask them about the difference between the Callaway LR550 and the Nikon 550 (which is green). The told me that the Nikon 550 does not have first target priority mode and only has distance target priority mode. If the Nikon 800 has both, then that solves my problem because I bet the Nikon 800 is $100 cheaper than the Callaway LR800 (just like the Nikon 350 is $100 less than the Callaway LR550). I'll look into it and post up what I find. Thanks for the tip.

e