2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

big island

karlk11

As this is my first post, just want to start off by saying you guys are great with the information and advise that is available with the search of the forums.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm traveling to the big island at the end of the month. I am on a limited budget and time frame and I'm only going to be able to get out one time while I'm there. Which course is a must play? Also how are the rentals at this course, if you know? Thanks for the help.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='karlk11' date='04 January 2010 - 07:28 PM' timestamp='1262651281' post='2161325']
As this is my first post, just want to start off by saying you guys are great with the information and advise that is available with the search of the forums.

Back to the subject at hand, I'm traveling to the big island at the end of the month. I am on a limited budget and time frame and I'm only going to be able to get out one time while I'm there. Which course is a must play? Also how are the rentals at this course, if you know? Thanks for the help.
[/quote]

Some please help us out - I am going the middle of February - and I have the exact same "must play" question -

The courses that I have played are either very private (Ke'olu amd Nanea) or connected to the resorts (e.g. Mauna Lani, Hualalai, Kona CC and Mauna Loa. There are also a couple of courses that the locals play that are inexpensive by comparison. All of the courses have a few holes with oceanfront and then wind up the mountain. Playing the wind and reading putts present unique challenges. Weather is incomparable.

I'd suggest that you book online through one of the many websites for the best prices and times. Business is way down so there should be some good prices.

Also, if you have time, drive to the east side of the island to see the volcano; well worth the drive.

When playing on the Big Island (Kona side of the island), you would need to clarify what limited budget means. Most of the must play (resort) courses, Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, Hualalai will run two to three hundred dollars a round, I believe. I also believe that for Mauna Kea and Hualalai, you will need to stay at their respective resorts. Mid-range I think Hapuna, Big Island Country Club and Kona Country Club, are very nice courses. If you are on a budget, there are only a couple of courses that may fit. Waikoloa and Makalei come to mind. Note that all are on the Kona side of the island.

If for some reason you are on the Hilo side of the island, there are only two courses within reasonable driving distance, Hilo Muni and Volcano (30-45 minutes). Neither are a must play. Almost always raining in Hilo, so the Muni is typically wet. Volcano's weather is always a crap shoot, grainy and fuzzy greens.

[quote name='mauiatheart' date='09 January 2010 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1263098163' post='2172073']
When playing on the Big Island (Kona side of the island), you would need to clarify what limited budget means. Most of the must play (resort) courses, Mauna Kea, Mauna Lani, Hualalai will run two to three hundred dollars a round, I believe. I also believe that for Mauna Kea and Hualalai, you will need to stay at their respective resorts. Mid-range I think Hapuna, Big Island Country Club and Kona Country Club, are very nice courses. If you are on a budget, there are only a couple of courses that may fit. Waikoloa and Makalei come to mind. Note that all are on the Kona side of the island.

If for some reason you are on the Hilo side of the island, there are only two courses within reasonable driving distance, Hilo Muni and Volcano (30-45 minutes). Neither are a must play. Almost always raining in Hilo, so the Muni is typically wet. Volcano's weather is always a crap shoot, grainy and fuzzy greens.
[/quote]

For my case I am staying on the Kona side of the island - budget is not a big concern for me - but don't want to throw money away because it is in my wallet - would like to keep it around no more than $250 for the round - if that case can you give me from your perspective the top 3 or 4 in order I should investigate getting a time - worst case I guess I call and they tell me no dice if I am not staying at the resort (we are renting a private residence for our trip)

[quote name='pwrfade' date='10 January 2010 - 08:04 AM' timestamp='1263146654' post='2172779']
[quote name='mauiatheart' date='09 January 2010 - 11:36 PM' timestamp='1263098163' post='2172073']

[/quote]

For my case I am staying on the Kona side of the island - budget is not a big concern for me - but don't want to throw money away because it is in my wallet - would like to keep it around no more than $250 for the round - if that case can you give me from your perspective the top 3 or 4 in order I should investigate getting a time - worst case I guess I call and they tell me no dice if I am not staying at the resort (we are renting a private residence for our trip)
[/quote]

If you can get onto Hualalai, then I would say that this is number one on my list. Second would be Mauna Lani. For a visitor, I would say the South is more of a must play since it has the oceanside holes. But the North is no slouch either, and I think a little more challenging. I haven't played Mauna Kea since they reopened, but it is always one of the must plays.

This list does not include the ultra-private courses. If you have connections, Hokulia, Nanea and Kukio are the tops. But to play these courses, you will need to have some serious contacts.

• 2 weeks later...

I've played most of the Big Island. Unless you have a connection to play Nanea, Kukio, or Hokulia, I would suggest you play Mauna Kea. It's actually probably better than any of those anyway, with dramatic elevation changes and great ocean holes. It's expensive, but it's better IMO than Mauna Lani, Hapuna, Hualalai, or the other resort courses. Another tip: skip anything that's outside of the Kohala Coast.

I've just visited the Big Island (getting back home yesterday) and played several courses. The answer to your question is Mauna Kea. It is an incredible course. While I can't afford these type of green fees on a regular bases we only go through life once and this is a once is a life time course. Twilight fees were $155 and worth every penny, and is open to the public, phone to reserve a time so your name is at the security gate.

• 8 months later...

Just got back from the Big Island a couple days ago.

Muana Lani South 170 with taxes and a ball marker. Course was great. Had several holes on the ocean. lava rocks line every hole and ate some off my ball ups. The course was soft, almost spungy feeling and very slow IMO. I just could not make solid contact with the ball at all on this course.

Mauna Kea Ocean 190 with taxes extra rider and ball marker (twilight). This course was also great. had a lot of ocean views but only one or two holes right on the water. This course was fast. Being that I putted alot better. I also struck the ball a lot better on this course. This couse also seemed to go out of their way with the extras provided. Snacks on several holes sodas and water, orange shapies and range books free. Pro shop just seemed a lot more friendly to me also.

JDM TMade SLDR set @ 11.5* w/Speeder 757
Adams Tour LS 15* w/DI7x
Adams Tour LS 19* w/DI8x & 23* 9031
Adams MB2 5-GW w/Black Nickle KBS Tour S
Machine M6 Inspirer
50*/54*/58* Satin Puglielli wedge kbs tourS
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/910665-bennysupremes-first-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

i play the kings and beach courses constantly because we are timeshare owners and thus get a significantly reduced rate. i pay about 85$ a round with cart and in my opinion thats dirt cheap considering mauna kea, mauna lani and hualalai are just outrageously priced. we also have the opportunity to play a second 18 (in the same day) for an extra $40.

i have been going to hawaii since 1998 and have played the kings/beach course well over 40 times each and i really dont get bored there.

the kings and beach courses are both very nice courses. the kings is very long from the tips on those blustery hawaiian days where as the beach is a shorter more open course. i love both but having said that, i would not pay more than $130 a round for them. At times the courses can brown out and the upkeep is just not the same when compared to mauna kea etc. but then again, that is partially why those courses can charge 240+ per round plus tax (non twilight times).

the one thing that i hate about mauna lani is that for 240$ for a regular priced round youd think that they can throw in a bag of range balls for free. NOOOOO, instead they have to charge you $7 for a small bag.

for those on a budget, consider twilight at hapuna and the kings/beach courses. prices should be all sub $100 and are certainly worth it. Hapuna has great customer service and a is a very fun course,however it is a mountain course so you wont get any close ocean vistas.

rentals at all clubs seem to be the same, basic nike sets or cobra sets from what i have seen.

ill be on the big island in may and i cant wait to play hapuna and the waikoloa courses!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

I just got back from a trip to the big island and was fortunate enough to play 3 rounds so i figure i'll add my two cents...by no means am i a good golfer and i don't normally play nice courses but i figured it might help...i certainly used this thread to make some decisions while i was there...so, i played
Mauna Kea
Waikoloa Beach course
Hapuna

Mauna Kea- This course is beautiful and it was fun to play. Everything was perfectly maintained and the people couldnt have been nicer. actually i will say there were a few parts where the fairways that were pretty soggy in places that didn't seem like it should be that way but it was all well marked.
i also have to add that i was lucky enough to have a local connection so i didn't have to pay the 225 it normally is.
pics are the
par 3 3rd,
[attachment=715854:165319_495010949302_532874302_5822475_4935366_n.jpg]

par 3 11th,
[attachment=715855:166463_495011019302_532874302_5822479_2127469_n.jpg]

and i don't remember...
[attachment=715856:167839_495011004302_532874302_5822478_8310261_n.jpg]

Beach course- No connection here so i payed 135 and i have to agree with the poster above me...prob not worth it...there were some brown areas of the fairways and some rough areas in some bunkers, but it was a forgiving course nothing was too hard, wide fairways, slowish greens
pics
par 5 12th,
[attachment=715857:DSC00396.JPG]
and tee box at the 18th
[attachment=715858:DSC00403.JPG]

Hapuna- I decided to play here because it's owned by the same people as Mauna Kea so i figured it would be maintained well and because there aren't any ocean holes it was only 90 bucks for a morning tee time. I was right, it was just as well maintained as mauna kea. But it is cheaper so you don't get all the little snacks and sodas like at mauna kea. the greens were also fast here

par 5 3rd
[attachment=715859:IMG_0723.JPG]

don't remember which hole
[attachment=715860:IMG_0732.JPG]

and par 3 16th
[attachment=715861:IMG_0737.JPG]

All in all i would recommend Hapuna for someone looking for a good experience and still wants some money leftover afterwards.

• 2 months later...

I spend three weeks to a month on the Big Island every winter, and I've played all the courses that the public is allowed on. The one course that people aren't mentioning enough is the Big Island Country Club. The course is a Dye design, with a wonderful combination of holes. It's at the 2500' level, so it's cooler than the courses on the beach, as it doesn't seem to be so beset by the trade and Kona winds.

The BICC has struggled in recent years, with no permanent club house and spotty maintenance. Last year (2010), it got a new owner, and he's been seriously upgrading the maintenance of the course. In November/December of 2010, the course was without question the best golf deal on the island ($49.00 with cart). I think prices have risen since then, but there are some really wonderful golf holes there (18 is the hardest finishing hole I've ever played, and 17 is no slouch, having a Sawgrass style island green - these can be heart breakers if you've got a round going). It's my favourite course on the island, without question.

I'm thrilled that the place finally has an owner who seems intent on investing in it and keeping it up as the design deserves.

[url="http://bigislandcountryclub.com/home.html%3Cbr%20/%3E"]Big Island Country Club website[/url]

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Big Island Report - May 14-28th.

writing this review of some of the courses i have played during my vacation (on going). playing hapuna later this week and ill post the review after my round.

ive also played mauna lani and mauna kea courses extensively in the past but i chose not to play them this year. mauna kea aerated on the 18th of may and mauna lani albeit spectacular course layout and challenge (both courses) nickels and dimes us every time we go. they also have pretty poor service which is another reason i have boycotted them. (about $230 a round, poor service, and they charge for range balls).

Waikoloa Kings - $95
i've played this course maybe 40 times and know it inside and out. i always find the round enjoyable and challenging.

[list][*]Course was in fine shape. fairways were for the most part green.[*]Tee boxes were pretty green. but a couple (par 3's were a little rough)[*]greens were most likely punched about 4 weeks ago so all the bumps and holes were pretty much filled in. putts rolled relatively true for bermuda grass. greens were probably rolling at an 8-9[*]bunkers were inconsistent. i played an early morning round and some of the bunkers on the front 9 were dry and some were wet.[*]service was overall very good as there has been turnover since last year.[*]driving range was pretty decent although much of the dirt was also mixed with sand and not comparable to the actual fairways.[/list]Waikoloa Beach - $95

[list][*]tee boxes were not as good as the kings. decent amount of brown grass[*]greens were brown in some areas and there were tiny ant hills on the greens.[*]fairways were pretty solid overall.[*]service same as kings.[/list]
Four Seasons Hualalai (non members only course) $350 (paid $175)

the course overall was not incredibly challenging as i really did not need to use much course management at all. greens were quick but not difficult. the only difficult part of the ccourse was the back 9 when the wind picked up. i played from 6600 yards but could have easily played from 7100.

employees at the golf course seemed to be happy to serve you whereas compared to mauna lani (last year), i received alot of curt and quick responses from many of the employees. i also tip pretty well so i know that money was not the issue.

if you want to feel that your business is appreciated then i suggest you ignore mauna lani and play hualalai. however, i would rank the overall quality of the mauna lani course better the the nicklaus hualalai course.

[list][*]tee boxes immaculate[*]fairways immaculate[*]greens immaculate and rolled 100% true. no tricks on these greens. rolled at a 10-11[*]bunkers very cleaned and always raked.[*]service was unparalleled[*]all non alcoholic bevereages were free from the beverage cart.[*]free cookies, fruit, crackers at the turn.[*]excellent driving range (prov1's, turf was similar to the fairwways)[/list]

Callaway AI Smoke TD 8* - Ventus Black TR 5x

3W -Ping G430 LST - Ventus Black TR 7x

5W - TM Qi10 Tour - Ventus Black TR 7x

2i - Srixon ZX MK II Axiom 105X

4-6 T200 Axiom 105s

7-AW T150 Axion 105s

54S SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

60T SM9 - Accra Iseries Red

Bettinardi QB14 LA Golf

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

My $0.02 (since I always find playing reviews extremely helpful)

played mauna kea today (10/7/11). fair warning was given by pro shop, they verticut fairways recently, and punched greens about 3 weeks ago. bummer, but I was willing to take a chance given the golfnow rate (what a deal!) the fairways looked awful - brown, lots of exposed roots, but thankfully not top dressed (no sand), so lies were fine, not overly tight. greens were still rough with evidence of aeration holes and top dressing (lots of little pebbles, ?from the sand). I haven't played here before so I don't have any idea how fast the greens usually are, but I'd guess the greens were stimping around a 9.

anyways, classic resort course in that it was very forgiving off the tee. bermuda rough was very short, so flier lies but no difficulty putting the club on the ball. lots of elevation change, elevated tees, contouring of fairways that makes flat lies uncommon. green complexes were imo a bit repetitive - something like 8 of the 10 par 4s have elevated greens, many so high that you cannot see the green from the fairway, or where the pin is relative to center (the day's pin position is only marked by quadrant). greens have a lot of movement to them, and some pin positions are tough! knowing the course or playing more would definitely help. overall reasonably enjoyable golf experience.

as far as the "other stuff" - views are nice, though only 3rd actually plays along the water. (270 from the back, 250 to cover? I overswung driver and made it pin high. but talk about low probability shot...) i guess i lucked out with the weather - it was overcast from about 1230 on, so very low wind. half club at most...BIG different from a few days ago when it was a steady 30+ mph down at the beach! service was good, though it definitely felt like the "offseason" - only saw the cart girl twice, and maybe 3 other staff? the "comfort stations" are great, free granola bars and peanut butter cookies, sodas or water. VERY empty course - I teed off at noon, and played 14 in about 2.5 hrs before I ran into a twosome. clubhouse is dated but everything you need in the locker room (showers, towels)

i'd be upset if I paid $250+ for the round, conditions didn't merit it, but for $125 here in hawaii at a name brand resort, i'm a satisfied customer.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I am staying at the Fairmont Orchid the first week in December they have the North and South Courses are they good tracks? I also found this deal how does it look?
[size=3][color=#000000]•$375 + tax per person[/color]
[color=#000000]•2 rounds at Hapuna Golf Course[/color]
[color=#000000]•1 round at Mauna Kea Golf Course[/color][/size]

Mauna Lani North and South are both good resort tracks. The South has two spectacular par 3s on the ocean, but I play both often and greatly prefer the North for the variety of holes and shots required. Aside from the signature holes, I find the South dull.

The $375 deal for Mauna Kea and Hapuna is very good. I think Mauna Kea is the best public course on the island and it is usually in very good condition. Hapuna is fun, if not great. The variety of holes is good and depending on the tee box you select you'll get to hit many different clubs from the tees.

As your trip gets closer start checking out Golfnow.com for deals at both Mauna Kea and Hapuna. They don't always offer discounted rates, but when they do the compare well to what we pay as residents.

Have fun!

• 3 months later...