2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Best Travel Bag

I'm planning a trip to Vegas in a few months and considering all of my golf stuff is only a few months old I want to ensure that nothing happens to them. I'm definately getting a TSA lock but want a great travel case that will take the beating being tossed around. I'm leaning towards a hardcase, but saw a really nice mizuno model at my local golferswarehouse. What do you guys think? I don't have a price limit I just want what's going to get the job done and durable ( if that means spending more so be it ). Also for those with the hardcase travel covers how well do they fit in a cab? do you need to usually get a minivan cab? Any info is much appreciated. I have an ogio syncro bag I intend to bring on the trip and its rather wide and heavy. Thanks

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I use the Ogio Monster bag, great bag. I can fit 2 pairs of shoes plus foul weather gear with ease. The club glove is also a good choice. I have not seen the Mizuno bag so I can not compare it to Ogio. The two consideration on the hard cases is reaching the weight limit of 50 pounds for check baggage and like you mentioned getting it into taxis or rental cars.

I use the Club Glove Burst Proof for carrying my stand bag and the Club Glove Last Bag for carrying my staff bag, both are great. I have had each for 9 years and gone on many trips with them, clubs have always made it to my destination intact (knock on wood).

Titleist TSR3 KBS Tour Driven

Titleist TSR2 5 & 7 wood KBS Tour Driven

Titleist T100 2023 4-PW KBS Tour

Titleist SM9 50°, 56°, & 60° KBS Tour

Swag Handsome One KBS GPS

I have a Club Glove Last Bag, but the thing would weigh too much with two pairs of shoes and extra clothing in it- some TSA agents will give you grief nowadays. Now I use a Burst Proof that carries a stand bag (hoofer) and two pairs of shoes and whatever gear you normally carry in your stand bag, not much else. Manageable size and weight to move around as easily as possible. I would also recommend getting a bright color to differentiate from all the other golf bags (though it gets a bit dirty over the years), and definitely get a "Stiff Arm" type device if you are worried abt breaking that expensive >45" driver shaft.

I personally can't stand hard cases since they are so hard to move around, are heavy, and won't fit in most cars easily. I'm all about ease and speed when travelling.

TM M5 10.5* Diamana BF 60TX
TM M1 15* Diamana Kai'li 80g X
Titleist 716 T-MB 3; 620 CB 4-PW Project X 6.0
TM Milled Grind 50, 54; Hi-Toe 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
ProV1

Thanks for the quick responses everyone. I'm definately going to pick up one of the Club Gloves with stiff arm, I'm going to weigh my setup and run some numbers as far as overall weight and maybe I'll use my stand bag if weight is a big issue. I definately will pick up a bright color, I'm liking the red color in the club glove it really stands out. If It goes over 50 do you pay a fee? or do they not allow you to fly with it? my setup right now fully loaded is 30lbs. for cart riding

Nice! My burst proof is red too, and trust me- it has travelled all over the world w/o any damage (excluding black marks from bag carousels and light scratches on the plastic part- knock on wood!). The red is easily picked out of a pile of bags at the airport. With a stand bag, it's hard to get it over 50lbs, which is when they charge you for a heavy bag. Mine usually weighs in around 40lbs. You'd have to carry at least 3 dozen golf balls to get to over 50lbs, which I never do.

Have fun in vegas!

CORRECTION- I used to carry my Bushnell 1500 range finder in my golf bag in my travel bag, and it's now "misaligned" but off warranty. It worked just fine for years while flying in my golf bag and still works if the flagsticks have reflectors. If you're worried abt that, then put the range finder in your carry on or something a bit more secure.

TM M5 10.5* Diamana BF 60TX
TM M1 15* Diamana Kai'li 80g X
Titleist 716 T-MB 3; 620 CB 4-PW Project X 6.0
TM Milled Grind 50, 54; Hi-Toe 58
Scotty Cameron Newport 2
ProV1

I've flown with an Ogio soft cover bag, a Contico hardcase, and now with an SKB case.

The Ogio was convenient in that it folded down to about the size of a medium suitcase. I never had a club damaged flying with it, but I did have one of the outer straps torn off in baggage handling, on another trip it received a large gash down one side that ended its career and lost one golf shoe and a polo. Surprisingly, the golf bag inside wasn't harmed.

The Contico case I bought at a garage sale...I have to say the case itself was probably the toughest one I've seen – 1-2mm thick heavy plastic. You would have to make a concerted effort to stick a knife through it. Never a question that the case would be safe ... except the latches were crap. First trip the bag arrives with no latch on one end. So I attach a luggage strap. Next trip, lose another latch. I couldn't find a site where I could buy a replacement.

Then I got the SKB case. No damaged clubs, no damaged box. No problemo. It lighter weight plastic than the earlier one, but that's never been a problem. And I can buy replacement latches if I ever need one!

I've never had an issue with the hard case being difficult to handle. In a rental car, I just lay it across the back seat. Once I get to my hotel, I just leave the case leaning up in a corner for the duration of my stay.

I have a Club Glove Last Bag, have traveled with it for almost 10 yrs, thing is really industructable. Mine is Red and other than the black marks from the belts in baggage no tears pulls nothing. Before these weight restrictions I could pack a weeks worth of golf wear in it. I also have tried the hard case years before and hate them for weight, hard to fit in many cars just a pain vrs a soft bag that you can fold up and mash in most anywhere needed

Just to chime in with the chorus... you can't go wrong with the Club Glove! I had the burst proof, as a matter of fact, I sold it to a guy on these boards. I now have the Last Bag version. After using them both many times, you can't go wrong with either model.

By the way, my last trip (last month) was to Vegas! As usual the sticks made it both ways with no problems! I hope your flying Southwest, I only remember them weighing my bags one time out of many trips.

Enjoy!

X________________________________ Sign Here

• 1 month later...

[quote name='lightgrip' date='28 February 2010 - 05:11 PM' timestamp='1267395110' post='2283768']
Anyone try the Burst Proof II? And what is the difference from the regular Burst Proof? Thanks.
[/quote]

I have the Burst Proof 2, and the difference between the two (from Club Glove site):

The best collegiate travel bag keeps getting better! Enhanced changes include a new split top zipper, two-inch webbing, new riveted handles, new riveted lifting handle at the bottom, layer of Ballistic nylon at the base, and added footings to base mold for better balance. The most significant change is the 2-year warranty has been upgraded to a Limited LIFETIME WARRANTY.

Burst Proof 2 or any Club Glove is the only way to go. I've traveled all over the world (military) and taken my clubs with me...never any damage. My buddy just borrowed my Burst Proof 2 for a trip from Guam to Hawaii...he'll be a believer as well. For the peace of mind alone, it's well worth the extra 30 bucks.

I also own a Club Glove Burst Proof II and love it. The Strong arm device is a must have.

Off topic; I have used the bag by itself when I have to travel and need a rolling duffle style, but can't bring the clubs due to scheduling. Now with airport fees for golf bags, I'm not playing so much abroad, so using the Club Glove in this capacity has saved me money on getting another piece of luggage.