2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Wedge1's WITB 2010

Bring it on!
The 2010 game bag is set...bring it on!

Driver - Ping G15 - 9 Deg - Blueboard 63X - White WinnLite Firm
Fairway - Ping I15 - 14 Degree, UST Axivcore Red 79g Stiff
Hybrid - Adams A7 - 19 degree, Matrix Ozik Xcon 8h Stiff
Irons - Titleist 710 MB - 3-PW, DGS300, Tour Velvet
Wedges - Titleist Vokey, 52,58 (different sets with different bounces + conforming set if needed)- DGS300, Tour Velvet
Putter - Bettinardi Studio Stock 1F, 34", 69 Lie, 3 deg loft
Balls - Prov1X

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Iron covers is a little bit too much for me haha.

How do you like your i15 14* 3wood?

Did you compare it to 909F2 and G15?

How many extra yards did you gain by getting the 14* instead of 15,5*?

Is it hard to hit the 14* off the deck?

I have planned to buy the i15 14 and 18,5 or 909F2 13,5 and 18,5.

Which setup do you recommend?

How is the AXIVCore shaft compared to Made for titleist blueboard?

How does it feel to play blueboard in the driver and AXIVcore in the 3wood? Don't you want the same shaft in both to get the consistency?

/Williamo

[quote name='williamo' date='04 February 2010 - 01:09 AM' timestamp='1265263771' post='2226469']
Iron covers is a little bit too much for me haha.

How do you like your i15 14* 3wood?

Did you compare it to 909F2 and G15?

How many extra yards did you gain by getting the 14* instead of 15,5*?

Is it hard to hit the 14* off the deck?

I have planned to buy the i15 14 and 18,5 or 909F2 13,5 and 18,5.

Which setup do you recommend?

How is the AXIVCore shaft compared to Made for titleist blueboard?

How does it feel to play blueboard in the driver and AXIVcore in the 3wood? Don't you want the same shaft in both to get the consistency?

/Williamo
[/quote]

Well as far as iron covers go, I keep them on when I am not on the course. I see no point beating up soft forged irons for no reason. On the course/range, they are off for sure. As a former pro tennis player, I never carried my rackets around off the court without a bag or cover. It makes no sense to me why anyone would not have iron covers for off the course.

The 14 degree three wood is perfect for me. I must have tried about 50 different heads (Tour issue, etc) and shaft combos and could not find exactly what I was looking for. The i15 sets up really nice...it reminds me of the Burner TP fairway woods but has a hotter face. I did look at the G15 but I do not want a closed face on a fairway wood so I did not bother with it much. Of all my clubs, feeling comfortable going left or right with the 3 wood seems the most important. I find myself needing 225-250 alot and often needing to move it a little in the air. The i15 head seems built for a flat sweep swing and works out perfect for me. I liked the 909f2 also but the i15 is a little bigger head and frankly is just longer. I practice sometimes with an LPGA player and she bought one and set it up just like after hitting it. It's probably the best club in my bag.

As for the loft. I picked up about 15 yards with it...I neded to be able to reach the 550 plus par fives and needed something I could get on and hit 260. I don't hit the ball really far so the lower loft works perfect. I tried a few 13's in other models and did not gain any distance with them. I have no trouble getting any fairway wood off the deck...I had a Titleist 909 D2 10.5 that I could get off the deck pretty consistently! The 14 in this head is really a gem and gives me a good spacing between it and my 3 hybrid (19). I like the Titleist stuff (As you can see by my bag) and would be playing the F2 if there was no i15. You have to see for yourself but the spacing between my 9 deg driver, 14 fairway, and 19 hybrid is perfect.

Shafts...the million dollar and loaded question. I play a blueboard 63x in my driver because it works really well in that head and feels super smooth. The G15 is a heavier head than most so it loads perfect for my swing with the bend charaterictsics of that shaft, in that weight, in that flex. The low-mid launch works well with teh 9 degree head for me too. In other words...you gotta get the right setup for you. It's a little like cooking, you have to know the characteristics of the ingredients and put them together correctly...I see people do some crazy stuff on here. They will buy a high launch/higher spinning head...and then buy the lowest launching/lowest spinning shaft. Doesn't make any sense to me. The mfg's usually do a prety good job of matchign up characteristics and the i15 and 909/blue are both matched well.

BTW - The blueboard in my G15 is a real blueboard G4T installed by Ping WRX. The characteristics of the Blueboard and Axivcore Red are similar. They are both low-mid launch, lower spin. The Axivcore is not nearly as smooth as the Blueboard but is a VERY stable and predictable shaft so it's a good fit for now. I like the 79 gram version in the 3 wood. I had a 909D2 with a "Made For" Blueboard in it and that shaft is a mess. The Made For Titleist is not the same as the real Blueboards...I've played these shafts for a while and can tell the difference. It had consdierably more flex at the tip, and did not have the smooth feel of the real ones. That alone is a reason to make a decision IMHO. I swapped it out for a real on in that head and the club came alive. The AxivCore in the Ping is the real shaft (They are much cheaper than a blueboard to begin with though).
Hope this helps in some way!

Joby

[quote name='williamo' date='04 February 2010 - 10:44 AM' timestamp='1265298242' post='2226915']
How much better is the real Blueboard than AXIVCore red?

I have considered putting a real Blueboard or an Axivcore red in my 909D2. Which do you recommend and why?

If it isn't that much of a difference then I can play the AXIVCore and go the cheaper way...
[/quote]

They are "Simiilar" characteristics in their profile. There are some slight difference I notice but not enough to tell you one performs that much better than the other. What is very noticeable though is the Blueboard is much smoother feeling as it loads. The Axivcore is a much mroe rigid feel to it. I actuallyput both those shafts in a 909D2 to try. The Blueboard felt better but results were similar. Truthfully, that heads spins a little more than I wanted and launched a little bit higher. I would think that head was MADE for a Whiteboard with my swing. A 9.5 in the D2 with a 73 X Whiteboard would be a bomber.

[quote name='chris9594' date='04 February 2010 - 12:48 PM' timestamp='1265305721' post='2227203']
nice bag
interesting set up. lovely irons and interesting set up with your woods.
i like the driver and the 3 wood and the hybrid, any reason why you chose the A7 hybrid over say something like the pro gold or pro black?
[/quote]

Haven't hit the pro black but don't care for the boxy shape of the pro gold. I had an idea pro before this and absolutely hated the proto Bayou shaft. I was offered this club new and gave it a try and loved it...so I did not bother re-shafting the idea pro. To me, the A7 sets up similar in looks to the idea pro (maybe a little more closed) but has a slightly hotter face. The 8H shaft is really smooth and the whole thing just works. The slightly closed bias does promote a draw so I have to be careful of that...probably would benefit from a tour issue version that is setup a degree open or true square. I use it anywhere from 210-225 or shorter sometimes if the lie is poor.