2024 The Ascendant WITB Photos ×

Tour Striker

filthee

[quote name='Jacob Mac' timestamp='1323353195' post='3910041']
So I have been practicing trying not to come from the inside so much, and I am using the towel drill. Half the time, this works great. The other half, I am lagging the hosel into the ball, or I hit it off the heal of the club and get really weak glancing shots. How do I avoid lagging the hosel into the club?
[/quote]

See how Tiger is "swinging left" during his practice swings now?? This is his feel to sequence a better path that doesn't allow the club to get stuck and get too inside out. You path goes inside out. Feel like you can swing "left" through impact. The hosel will be getting farther away from the ball.

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1323526874' post='3920137']
So I have been practicing trying not to come from the inside so much, and I am using the towel drill. Half the time, this works great. The other half, I am lagging the hosel into the ball, or I hit it off the heal of the club and get really weak glancing shots. How do I avoid lagging the hosel into the club?
[/quote]

See how Tiger is "swinging left" during his practice swings now?? This is his feel to sequence a better path that doesn't allow the club to get stuck and get too inside out. You path goes inside out. Feel like you can swing "left" through impact. The hosel will be getting farther away from the ball.
[/quote]

To this end,watch Martin's "golf pro impact video".do 9-3 swings with this drill and emphasize your pivot when swinging through

[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you. The whole swinging left thing feels so weird and OTT that it just feels wrong. I know I need to, just a weird mental hurdle. Plus, my teacher is telling me to release my arms and swing to right field. Maybe that is just a feel he is trying to teach, but the advice seems bad from everything I read on this site. Maybe time to find a different teacher?

On another note, when is the educator going to be released? I am getting set to buy a Tour Striker wedge and would like to consolidate orders if possible.

[quote name='Jacob Mac' timestamp='1323547145' post='3921217']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Thank you. The whole swinging left thing feels so weird and OTT that it just feels wrong. I know I need to, just a weird mental hurdle. Plus, my teacher is telling me to release my arms and swing to right field. Maybe that is just a feel he is trying to teach, but the advice seems bad from everything I read on this site. Maybe time to find a different teacher?

On another note, when is the educator going to be released? I am getting set to buy a Tour Striker wedge and would like to consolidate orders if possible.
[/quote]

Its unfair to criticize a teacher when you don't have all the facts...BUT I think "releasing your arms and swinging to right field" is very detrimental advice.

[quote name='gjack' timestamp='1323547685' post='3921255']
[quote name='Jacob Mac' timestamp='1323547145' post='3921217']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Its unfair to criticize a teacher when you don't have all the facts...BUT I think "releasing your arms and swinging to right field" is very detrimental advice.
[/quote]

Ya, I was thinking out loud more than anything. Shouldn't have written it. Regardless, I think I am going to work on swinging left and moving forward with that idea.

The Educator has taken way too long to get to market. I finally got the PO going. If anyone wants one, send me an E-mail to [email protected] and I'll put you on the list. Anyone who gets on the pre-release list will save $5.They will retail at $29.95 and come with a drills DVD and course pocket guide. They will be another 30 days or so. Thanks for your patience.

Here's a simple example of one of the many awareness drills that can help you.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LaqBB-WFfIE[/media]

The fellow, for whom I shot this tip, blocks off his finish and needs to feel a "full roll" re-hinge. This "tip" is personal to this golfer and is not my preference for everyone I coach.

[b]Project Joey Update[/b]:

Hello there my people. Still practicing 4-5 times a week. One handed and reverse takeaway drills abound. Hitting them good and continue to work on impact. Anyone that is a chronic caster, fornicating flipper, or sensational scooper heed Joeys words, theres my 3rd person again, My only swing thought is to keep my right wrist bent back as long as possible. To literally try to make my right knuckles tough my right forearm, thats it. This has been working for me for 2 weeks straight now and it is the only swing thought I have. When I feel like Im holding the right wrist bent, I catch it good, when I dont hold the right wrist angle, the hijinks and hilarity insue and Joey hits ball bad. Anyone suffering from this infliction, give it a try. For a below average Joe like me( pun inserted for your reading pleasure), that swing thought and Martins videos have helped tremendously. On a related note I read this article this morning at http://www.golf.com/ where there is a guy called Dan at http://www.thedanplan.com/ that is kinda doing the same thing I am here but a more hardcore approach. I call it 10K Dan but he wants to go from never hitting a golf ball to the pga in 10000 thousand hours. Really cool article. As always I look forward to more torture and ridicule from the big sensai himself, aka Tour strikers Martin Chuck.

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1323696994' post='3927313']
[b]Project Joey Update[/b]:

Hello there my people. Still practicing 4-5 times a week. One handed and reverse takeaway drills abound. Hitting them good and continue to work on impact. Anyone that is a chronic caster, fornicating flipper, or sensational scooper heed Joeys words, theres my 3rd person again, My only swing thought is to keep my right wrist bent back as long as possible. To literally try to make my right knuckles tough my right forearm, thats it. This has been working for me for 2 weeks straight now and it is the only swing thought I have. When I feel like Im holding the right wrist bent, I catch it good, when I dont hold the right wrist angle, the hijinks and hilarity insue and Joey hits ball bad. Anyone suffering from this infliction, give it a try. For a below average Joe like me( pun inserted for your reading pleasure), that swing thought and Martins videos have helped tremendously. On a related note I read this article this morning at [url="http://www.golf.com/"]http://www.golf.com/[/url] where there is a guy called Dan at [url="http://www.thedanplan.com/"]http://www.thedanplan.com/[/url] that is kinda doing the same thing I am here but a more hardcore approach. I call it 10K Dan but he wants to go from never hitting a golf ball to the pga in 10000 thousand hours. Really cool article. As always I look forward to more torture and ridicule from the big sensai himself, aka Tour strikers Martin Chuck.
[/quote]

Joey, post a video when you have some time.

[quote name='russc' timestamp='1323704580' post='3927801']
Martin is a terrific teacher.In time you will own a much more effective golf swing.
[/quote]

Russ, thanks for the kind words. I appreciate it.

Project Joey 1.8 in full swing. Here is another action packed fantastic learning edition of one of the most athletic golf swings on the planet. I am wearing gloves in these videos for warmth and a massive grape size blister on my right hand. I would say its from hitting so many golf balls but seriously who would believe that after they see my swing. On a side note I ran into a guy at the local range here that recognized me from the videos here on golfwrk.com. He is also working on his swing with a guy on golfwrk I think. Small world. Oh and since Ive become a local celebrity here in Maryland, I know give what not to do golf outings or clinics as we call it in the biz and bar mitzvahs for 7.25 an hour. Circumcisions are extra.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jc27FDl4VM4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obWAvPKyBxU[/media]

Martin- I just got the TS 7x. After a couple times out I have a couple of questions for you.

Can there be a half and half shot with the TS? I mean I definitely hit some 200 yd worm burners that were obvious. And I definitely hit some pop ups I assume from just hitting it fat (I was hitting off of tight grass and out of divots). And I hit some that were my idea of a perfect 7 iron, shape, distance, etc. But then there were some that I couldn't tell if they were well struck or not because they were somewhere in between. Low, but not a worm burner. Farther than usual. Almost like a knockdown flight.

My wear spot on the face was low (obviously) and toward the toe. The wear that was on the sweet spot was also low with nothing more than halfway up the lines. Should it be higher up near the center for well struck shots?

Thank you for your participation on this forum.

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1323828452' post='3935865']
Project Joey 1.8 in full swing. Here is another action packed fantastic learning edition of one of the most athletic golf swings on the planet. I am wearing gloves in these videos for warmth and a massive grape size blister on my right hand. I would say its from hitting so many golf balls but seriously who would believe that after they see my swing. On a side note I ran into a guy at the local range here that recognized me from the videos here on golfwrk.com. He is also working on his swing with a guy on golfwrk I think. Small world. Oh and since Ive become a local celebrity here in Maryland, I know give what not to do golf outings or clinics as we call it in the biz and bar mitzvahs for 7.25 an hour. Circumcisions are extra.

[/quote]
Joey ,you da man

[quote name='word' timestamp='1323835380' post='3936533']
Martin- I just got the TS 7x. After a couple times out I have a couple of questions for you.

Can there be a half and half shot with the TS? I mean I definitely hit some 200 yd worm burners that were obvious. And I definitely hit some pop ups I assume from just hitting it fat (I was hitting off of tight grass and out of divots). And I hit some that were my idea of a perfect 7 iron, shape, distance, etc. But then there were some that I couldn't tell if they were well struck or not because they were somewhere in between. Low, but not a worm burner. Farther than usual. Almost like a knockdown flight.

My wear spot on the face was low (obviously) and toward the toe. The wear that was on the sweet spot was also low with nothing more than halfway up the lines. Should it be higher up near the center for well struck shots?

Thank you for your participation on this forum.
[/quote]

Word, thanks for picking up a TS and the kind words. I appreciate it. You are a good striker and simply need to hone your rhythm and timing. The more you practice with the TSPX, the better your presentation of the club will be. The club doesn't teach YOU impact alignments. It teaches a guy like you a refined rhythm and timing.

You "miss" sounds to me like you are a little steep and late, catching it a hair on the elevated leading edge. This is certainly a better players miss. We've all taken a divot too far in front of the ball and that sounds like what your miss is, without seeing you.

[/quote]

Joey, you are ripping it! Looks a ton better. Now it is time to get started:) I'm out of town until next week, besides the weather is poor in Phoenix right now. You are going to kill me with the next tip, but it will really take you to the next level.

Way to go.

MC

BTW: I'm enjoying your candor and self effacing humor:)

[quote name='HAWKEYE77' timestamp='1323835904' post='3936573']
Outdoor golf is now well over where I live. Any reason not to use my Tour Strikers indoors or any tips for maximizing their benefits indoors on the simulator? Quality mats, if that is important info.
[/quote]

No reason not to use it inside. You can feel if you've hit it well or not. I prefer you use a firm mat, have a shallow approach and have as much lean as you can muster without getting "ahead" of the shot. If you are shallow, it's tough to over do the forward lean. You'll be lucky to have 5 or 6 degrees.

I believe I am the local yocal stalking Project Joey at the driving range. I can attest that he was hitting some great shots last night. Equally impressive was his one handed swings.

I too am inflicted with an early release. I've been working with Monte Scheinblum (golfswingsurgeon.com), and he has me working on a more compact swing, eliminating wasted motion, and maintaining my spine angle. (Fortunately, one change at a time - I like his style.) Anyway, I have already noticed some improvement with consistency, but have a long way to go. I may invest in a tour striker for Xmas.

Anyway, while I did not offer any advice last night for fear of being the proverbial "bling leading the blind," I noticed that Joey's posture and spine angle also changes throughout the swing. This may be more noticeable in a down-the-line video. Joey - I would happy to film that for you next time you're at the range.

BTW, who was that stud two stalls down from Joey at the range last night? (Yes folks, I took stalking Project Joey to a whole new, and creepy, level by making a cameo in his video...)

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1323842013' post='3936937']

[/quote]

Joey, you are ripping it! Looks a ton better. Now it is time to get started:) I'm out of town until next week, besides the weather is poor in Phoenix right now. You are going to kill me with the next tip, but it will really take you to the next level.

Way to go.

MC

BTW: I'm enjoying your candor and self effacing humor:)
[/quote]

Joey,

Great job. Can clearly see some changes.

[quote name='ETGoHome' timestamp='1323875820' post='3938019']
I believe I am the local yocal stalking Project Joey at the driving range. I can attest that he was hitting some great shots last night. Equally impressive was his one handed swings.

I too am inflicted with an early release. I've been working with Monte Scheinblum (golfswingsurgeon.com), and he has me working on a more compact swing, eliminating wasted motion, and maintaining my spine angle. (Fortunately, one change at a time - I like his style.) Anyway, I have already noticed some improvement with consistency, but have a long way to go. I may invest in a tour striker for Xmas.

Anyway, while I did not offer any advice last night for fear of being the proverbial "bling leading the blind," I noticed that Joey's posture and spine angle also changes throughout the swing. This may be more noticeable in a down-the-line video. Joey - I would happy to film that for you next time you're at the range.

BTW, who was that stud two stalls down from Joey at the range last night? (Yes folks, I took stalking Project Joey to a whole new, and creepy, level by making a cameo in his video...)

[/quote]

You have a nice action and it did not go unnoticed! You are in great hands with Monte.

Project Joey is a "one thing at a time" deal. Believe me, it is hard for an instructor not to bombard the student with everything he'd like to fix. I see the "early extension," but again it is one thing at a time and while I see a lot of improvement, there is a bunch of stuff we will continue to improve.

Hello, I recently purchased a TS wedge and promptly went to my local shop to get the lie angle adjusted, 2' upright.
I was told/shown that it could NOT be done in the "Mitchell" machine they had...seemed to not fit. Needless to say I was a little disappointed.
Is there some special tool or adapter needed to do the job?

Also, can the loft be adjusted as well? I play a 54', I know I wouldn't notice the difference but I'm just curious.
Thank you

[quote name='unloopme' timestamp='1324067312' post='3949239']
Hello, I recently purchased a TS wedge and promptly went to my local shop to get the lie angle adjusted, 2' upright.
I was told/shown that it could NOT be done in the "Mitchell" machine they had...seemed to not fit. Needless to say I was a little disappointed.
Is there some special tool or adapter needed to do the job?

Also, can the loft be adjusted as well? I play a 54', I know I wouldn't notice the difference but I'm just curious.
Thank you
[/quote]

The elevated leading edge does present a challenge to bend the TS clubs.

The bending machine needs a back support needed for bending hybrids and woods like this one: http://www.mitchellgolf.com/products/STEELCLUB_Signature_Angle_Machine-352-1.html

If you have the right machine, you can bend to your hearts content. A basic iron bending machine won't do the job. Sorry!

[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1324141891' post='3952805']

The bending machine needs a back support needed for bending hybrids and woods like this one: [url="http://www.mitchellgolf.com/products/STEELCLUB_Signature_Angle_Machine-352-1.html"]http://www.mitchellg...hine-352-1.html[/url]

If you have the right machine, you can bend to your hearts content. A basic iron bending machine won't do the job. Sorry!
[/quote]
Thanks for the reply and link!
I guess I just need to ask a shop if they can bend hybrids and woods before I head over there.

On another note. It's so incredibly refreshing to find someone who stands behind, and supports their product the way you do...kudos, sir. I know that if anyone ever asks or approaches me regarding the TS, I would not hesitate to give it and yourself, a ringing endorsement. I wish you continued success, and I appreciate the time and effort you dedicate to this forum.

[quote name='unloopme' timestamp='1324217701' post='3955827']
[quote name='Cmartingolf' timestamp='1324141891' post='3952805']

The bending machine needs a back support needed for bending hybrids and woods like this one: [url="http://www.mitchellgolf.com/products/STEELCLUB_Signature_Angle_Machine-352-1.html"]http://www.mitchellg...hine-352-1.html[/url]

[/quote]
Thanks for the reply and link!
I guess I just need to ask a shop if they can bend hybrids and woods before I head over there.

On another note. It's so incredibly refreshing to find someone who stands behind, and supports their product the way you do...kudos, sir. I know that if anyone ever asks or approaches me regarding the TS, I would not hesitate to give it and yourself, a ringing endorsement. I wish you continued success, and I appreciate the time and effort you dedicate to this forum.
[/quote]

Thanks for the kind words. I'm very lucky to have achieved some small nugget of success in this game and I truly get a lot of satisfaction helping people play better. More fun stuff for Tour Striker in the coming months and years. Stay tuned:)

• 2 weeks later...

[b]Project Joey Update[/b]

A little update for everyones christmas holiday extravaganza. Still repeating the drills setforth by da man i.e Martin . One handed and reverse casting drills. Still trying to get my wrist set as early as possible i.e. make my right backhand touch my right wrist on the take away. It seems to me that the faster I try to set my wrist angle on the backswing the better contact I make. I cant seem to set it to fast. This has given me more power and better consistent contact. Now hitting the 8 iron about 155. What Im attempting to do is swing longer not harder, feels like Im coiling my body more. Ill try to do that and hit 10 balls in a row as fast as I can. Then hit 10 real slowly. Ill literally break a good sweat doing this. I still hit some a little thin or a little fat but they still go out there pretty good. My good friend flippy is still with me Im sure of that. Flippy has been with me a long time, ever since I started this idiotic game. Flippy is like that one crazy uncle whose had to much to drink on Christmas eve, he keeps lingering around and never seems to want to leave. It seems my misses are better and more manageable than before. Try to work the ball and make the ball hook a little or fade a little on purpose. When I bring the club inside on the back swing it draws and when I bring the club back on the outside a little it fades. Thats the feeling that Im getting anyway. Of course that could be the remminents of the beer talking. You see in my family around the holidays, we call it Christmas but we really should rename it Oktoberfest. I mean how many families play beer pong around the Christmas tree and play drinking games with a deck of cards and are forced to drink booze out of a big glass beer stein of a womens boot. And if I could play golf like I play quarters I would most definitely be on the tour. Anyway, as I anticipate another life changing, awe inspiring, religious awakening, post apocalypses myan calender world changing lesson, I bid you a merry Christmas and happy new year, or happy Kwanza, or excellent Hanuka, or from my family to yours merry Oktoberfest.

Joey, Merry Christmas. I'd like to hang out with you at Christmas (after the kids are coming off their sugar high and in bed). Anyway, glad you are hitting the ball nicely. I've been buried with Holidays and travel, but I'm back in Phoenix and getting ready for a busy season of coaching. I will have plenty of time to continue Project Joey.

Look for something from me on Thursday or Friday.

Cheers,

Martin

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1324992254' post='3991733']
[b]Project Joey Update[/b]

Still trying to get my wrist set as early as possible i.e. make my right backhand touch my right wrist on the take away. It seems to me that the faster I try to set my wrist angle on the backswing the better contact I make. I cant seem to set it to fast. This has given me more power and better consistent contact. Now hitting the 8 iron about 155.
[/quote]

isn't this feeling opposite of the "lagging clubhead takeway drill" martin wants you to do? correct me if i'm wrong, but i thought the lagging clubhead takeaway allows for a more natural set of the wrist (i.e. weight of the clubhead) as opposed to your feeling of setting the wrist angle as fast as possible.

Thanks Martin, look forward to the next episode and merry Christmas to you as well. Lynx31, I dont think your wrong in your assumption. However I am a phenomenal flipper or if you prefer the count of casting. I struggle greatly with trying to hold my angles into impact. This is strictly the feel that I have and not necessarily what Im actually doing mechanically in my swing. Feel is so ambiguous from one person to the next it is hard to describe accurately. For me and me only it feels like Im starting the back swing by setting my wrist angle. By hip height or parallel my wrist angle is fully set and left wrist flat. Working with Martin and hitting a massive amount of balls this is what has been working for me. Again, the [u]feeling [/u]Im getting when Im hitting great shots is that I cant set my wrists soon enough, the sooner I set them the better the shot and further it goes. Its just that simple. For example, I recently bought a Ping G5 16 degree hybrid stiff flex grahite club. When I first got that club about 2 months ago, on a good day I could maybe carry it to the 200 yard marker. I got that club right before I started working with Martin. I always felt like I could hit it way longer than that but could not figure out why not. Once I started making videos of my swing and got with Martin it became clear that I was flipping at impact and to make matters worse had an early release from the top of my swing. Now when I hit my same Ping G5 16 degree hybrid Im getting about 220-230 of carry. And Im sure I can get more once I really keep those angles into impact. Im still leaking power but not nearly as much as before. Do yourself a favor next time your at the range, look down the line and listen at people hitting balls off the matt. Youll hear some that sound like a little pop when they hit it and others that make a massive sonic boom sound at impact. Those are the guys you want to watch because they are really compressing the ball at impact.

That was a lucid and coherent paragraph if I do say so myself. Not bad for a Maryland Terp alum.

[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1325080021' post='3996021']
Feel is so ambiguous from one person to the next it is hard to describe accurately. For me and me only it feels like Im starting the back swing by setting my wrist angle. By hip height or parallel my wrist angle is fully set and left wrist flat. Working with Martin and hitting a massive amount of balls this is what has been working for me.
[/quote]

Ahhh, very true Joe. Was just worried you were hitting a lot of balls without practicing the correct takeaway. From your videos it looks exactly like you describe.. an early wrist set. But I understand. Indeed, feel is very subjective per individual. Hope you keep progressing throughout the new year!

[quote name='LyNX31' timestamp='1325092454' post='3996809']
[quote name='JoeCool73' timestamp='1325080021' post='3996021']
Feel is so ambiguous from one person to the next it is hard to describe accurately. For me and me only it feels like Im starting the back swing by setting my wrist angle. By hip height or parallel my wrist angle is fully set and left wrist flat. Working with Martin and hitting a massive amount of balls this is what has been working for me.
[/quote]

Ahhh, very true Joe. Was just worried you were hitting a lot of balls without practicing the correct takeaway. From your videos it looks exactly like you describe.. an early wrist set. But I understand. Indeed, feel is very subjective per individual. Hope you keep progressing throughout the new year!
[/quote]

Lynx, you are right. Joe is a hard case for sure:) I'd love to see him let the mass of the club set the wrists and thus the lagging club head takeaway drill. As a coach, I'm content with what I'm seeing based on the exchange of video and that we've never even spoken on the phone. If he was with me at the range, we'd exaggerate the lagging takeaway drill. He's hitting it pretty consistently and far. The thing now is to take it to the course, control the trajectory and flight different shots. To do that, we still have work to do.