Different types of Hogan shafts

I don't know about weight, but when I pulled my Legend 3 shafts ('78 Apex II) and placed them up against my Apex 4 ('88 Redline), the '06 Apex 4 (Clambshell) and a new set of Apex 4 shafts (? TT vs Brunswick) the steps all matched up, the only difference being the stiffer shafts were 1" shorter in the final (hosel) step.

Those Apex II now have TC S3 in them, the Redlines have KBS Tour 6.5s. (My practice set of Redlines still has the Apex 4s in them.)

I had to weight the crap out of them though to get the TCs to a D2 and the KBS to a D4.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

• 9 months later...

I was told that the Apex was very similar if not identical to the TT Dynalite shaft as it was a lighter weight low flex point shaft. Actually plays(ed) a bit stiffer than the Dynamic but with the lower kick point so a different feel. I think the Vector was one of those shafts with the weird looking steps where they tried to change the flex point on each club, at least that's what I remember about it. They also put in Dynamic or Dynamic Gold in some sets and called them Apex Pro or something similar. At least that is how I remember.

Titleist TSi3 HZRDUS Red 65 
Titleist 975F PX Evenflow Black

Titleist 620 MB 6-PW 
Titleist 620 CB 4,5
Nickent 3DX 17
Callaway Forged +52 and 56
Ping Anser 4

The Hogan shafts that have AMF and are #4 shafts, which would have been those made for the PC, Redlines, early Edge models, Radials, mostly those made for the 1980's line were of lighter weight than the Dynamic, and the Dynamic gold. If memory serves me correct, then the regular flex or #3 shaft was 108 or 110 grams. the #4 shaft or the stiff flex shaft was either 112 or 114 grams, and the #5 shaft or extra stiff shaft was in the 116 to 118 range. back then,(for all your people that have come to golf since the TW era) then the Dynamic gold shaft was heavier than it is now, by a few grams

I hung around a couple of pro's, that were late 30's, middle 40's when i worked for Lowe's in South Carolina in the 1980's. Both of them had played on the PGA tour back before the 125 money list, and were club junkies.

I talked to a Hogan rep and listened to what they said, and basically this is what i got from them. This time frame I am talking about is 1987-1988. As this was when I first started to shoot around 80 and played in the skins games as a D player.

Hogan #3 shaft equal a R500 shaft by Dynamic Gold
Hogan #4 shaft equal a S500 shaft by Dynamic Gold
Hogan #5 shaft equal a X300 or X400 shaft by Dynamic Gold

Deerslayer says he still has a set of Redlines with the #4 shaft in them. and a set with KB x flex
I do the same, and to be honest with you. I cant tell much of a difference in them in flex.

The old Hogan #4 shaft was one stiff shaft.

The shafts with AMF were made by the same company that became RIFLE, but back then it was called Brunswick.

Their also was a D shaft in there. This was a heavier shaft, and I have a couple of clubs that are single irons, that have this #4 D shaft in them. They seem to flight higher than the AMF shafts.

The shafts made for the Spalding/Hogan company of the 1990's were not the same #4 shafts. Every time a new model would come out, then I would hit them, hate the shafts and stick with the set of PC's that I played with for years. I honestly wore the chrome off the bottom of the sole, from E thru 6 iron and the PW,and & iron had a big rust spot on them the size of the golf ball. I hit balls every day of the week for years and years.

After Callaway bought out the Hogan Company for the ball patents, then the shafts they used unless they were dynamic gold were pure d JUNK in capital letters.

I have basically played Hogan Blades of one model or another since 1985. I had a couple of years there with Ping Eye 2, and the the ISI's, but always went back as the Pings made my swing bad, by all the slop I could get away with. Since 2000, I have played with a set of Titleist 660's and a set of Nike blades some. Otherwise I have still played with a set of PC's or Redlines.

To the OP, I hope this has helped some.

and a small joke- in the 1980's the Hogan #5 shaft in irons were known to be as stiff as a wedding DXXX on a honeymoon.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

[quote name='justaman5' timestamp='1294961271' post='2894969']
The Hogan shafts that have AMF and are #4 shafts, which would have been those made for the PC, Redlines, early Edge models, Radials, mostly those made for the 1980's line were of lighter weight than the Dynamic, and the Dynamic gold. If memory serves me correct, then the regular flex or #3 shaft was 108 or 110 grams. the #4 shaft or the stiff flex shaft was either 112 or 114 grams, and the #5 shaft or extra stiff shaft was in the 116 to 118 range. back then,(for all your people that have come to golf since the TW era) then the Dynamic gold shaft was heavier than it is now, by a few grams

I hung around a couple of pro's, that were late 30's, middle 40's when i worked for Lowe's in South Carolina in the 1980's. Both of them had played on the PGA tour back before the 125 money list, and were club junkies.

I talked to a Hogan rep and listened to what they said, and basically this is what i got from them. This time frame I am talking about is 1987-1988. As this was when I first started to shoot around 80 and played in the skins games as a D player.

Hogan #3 shaft equal a R500 shaft by Dynamic Gold
Hogan #4 shaft equal a S500 shaft by Dynamic Gold
Hogan #5 shaft equal a X300 or X400 shaft by Dynamic Gold

Deerslayer says he still has a set of Redlines with the #4 shaft in them. and a set with KB x flex
I do the same, and to be honest with you. I cant tell much of a difference in them in flex.

The old Hogan #4 shaft was one stiff shaft.

The shafts with AMF were made by the same company that became RIFLE, but back then it was called Brunswick.

Their also was a D shaft in there. This was a heavier shaft, and I have a couple of clubs that are single irons, that have this #4 D shaft in them. They seem to flight higher than the AMF shafts.

The shafts made for the Spalding/Hogan company of the 1990's were not the same #4 shafts. Every time a new model would come out, then I would hit them, hate the shafts and stick with the set of PC's that I played with for years. I honestly wore the chrome off the bottom of the sole, from E thru 6 iron and the PW,and & iron had a big rust spot on them the size of the golf ball. I hit balls every day of the week for years and years.

After Callaway bought out the Hogan Company for the ball patents, then the shafts they used unless they were dynamic gold were pure d JUNK in capital letters.

I have basically played Hogan Blades of one model or another since 1985. I had a couple of years there with Ping Eye 2, and the the ISI's, but always went back as the Pings made my swing bad, by all the slop I could get away with. Since 2000, I have played with a set of Titleist 660's and a set of Nike blades some. Otherwise I have still played with a set of PC's or Redlines.

To the OP, I hope this has helped some.

and a small joke- in the 1980's the Hogan #5 shaft in irons were known to be as stiff as a wedding DXXX on a honeymoon.
[/quote]

justaman5, I just wanted to say thanks. That info was very helpful and informative to me.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='txcountrylawyer' timestamp='1305433438' post='3234867']
I played Apex 4 in redlines as games for 20 plus years, which are are my practice set. I still really like the feel of those shafts even though I now play KBS in Mizzy's 67and 37..
[/quote]

I agree!!!!!!

I just pulled my TC S3s and KBS Tours from my Redlines and White Cameos and am putting the Apex 4s back in.

Gonna sell 2 sets of flighted KBS Tours and 2 sets of TC S3s soon.

I was fortunate enough to buy 2 extra sets of new in plastic Apex 4s on eBay 2 years ago. I almost put them in my Miuras, but I stumbled into Nipons for those.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn