2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

FT-IZ Driver review

mbradley

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1286736400' post='2736946']
so I have my second round on mine..heres my feedback. I finally figured out how to hit it at the end of my last round. I open the face a degree or two and swing hard...long high bombs. I hope it wasn't a fluke. If I don't open it up...nothing great~

[/quote]

Same experience as you exactly - I'm sure it really does set up closed despite what Callaway say.

I'm reluctant to change my standard FTIZ for the tour version since I hit it so well by opening the face but in theory the tour version would mean you don't need to make that adjustment at address. But there again if I don't change my driver every month whats the point of living? :D

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 deg x-torsion shaft
Callaway XR16 4wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 7 wood
Irons: Srixon Z545 4-PW Nippon 950GH shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 48, 52, 56
Putter: Scotty GOLO 5R

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

fyi..hit the tour version in imix and didn't like it at all! Its not as forgiving and lower trajectory. I just went out to club for a quick 15 holes this evening. Its much better. I don't know why but I need to open it to hit it. I have the iz 3 wood and don't need to do the same thing. thanks for your tip. I read it early this am before I played then I figured why not and tried it...BAM 1000% better!

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway FT IZ 3+ Stock Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Taylor Made Spider Tour T3 Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='StuartM' timestamp='1286739891' post='2736995']
so I have my second round on mine..heres my feedback. I finally figured out how to hit it at the end of my last round. I open the face a degree or two and swing hard...long high bombs. I hope it wasn't a fluke. If I don't open it up...nothing great~

[/quote]

Same experience as you exactly - I'm sure it really does set up closed despite what Callaway say.

I'm reluctant to change my standard FTIZ for the tour version since I hit it so well by opening the face but in theory the tour version would mean you don't need to make that adjustment at address. But there again if I don't change my driver every month whats the point of living? :D
[/quote]

One thing I've noticed is that when I look down at the club there is a temptation to use the seam - the line where the Ti cup face integrates into the composite - as an alignment aid, and that will most definitely make the club appear closed.

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1286813087' post='2738032']
[quote name='StuartM' timestamp='1286739891' post='2736995']

[/quote]

[/quote]

One thing I've noticed is that when I look down at the club there is a temptation to use the seam - the line where the Ti cup face integrates into the composite - as an alignment aid, and that will most definitely make the club appear closed.
[/quote]

I just had another look and I see where you are coming from. The seam might add to the closed appearance. I did question if it might be an optical illusion on an earlier post on here. But still my problem with the FTIZ is when I look down on it against the ball all I can see coming is something going sharply right to left and that's exactly what I get. ....

Unless of course I crank the clubface open a bit at address and then it sends out missiles. Its weird and I've never come across a club like this before.

Callaway XR16 4wood

[quote name='jaycajun' timestamp='1286825327' post='2738258']
By far, this is the straightest driver I have ever had. Tour, IMIX, 10.5 head.
[/quote]

Some questions if I may:

How do you find it compares with other drivers for length?

What is your Swing speed and which shaft gives you get the best results?

Callaway XR16 4wood

[quote name='Andaluzian' timestamp='1286734148' post='2736901']
I've had 4 rounds with mine, The first one wasnt anygood [b]with the stock fake voodoo[/b]. I just hit high spinning floaters. I sent it back and upgraded to the Motore F3. This is the first time I"ve gone with a higher end upgraded shaft. Driving has always been my weak point but this thing is point and shoot and its as long or longer then any of the last 2 years models sold retail.
The bottome line is people complain it looks funny or this or that. Bottom line its long and forgiving and actually fun to drive with. I highly recommend dumping the stock shaft as its garbage in my opinion and confirmed a made for so don't kid yourself unless you upgraded to the real thing.
by the way this motore F3 with 105 mph swing speed is a great combo[/quote]Why is it fake? Are you saying Adila makes a crappy version just for the OEM's and only sells the "real" stuff for those who like to fit aftermarket shafts? That's a small market and seems like a silly business practice. You'd think they wouldn't want people using the stock shaft to think they make a so-so product.

Not calling you out, just curious and looking for info. I've seen this business practice implied before.

Taylormade SIM Max  – 10.5°
Taylormade M4  – 16.5°
Titleist 818H1 - 22.5°
Titleist AP1 718 – 4-P
Titleist AP1 718 – 48°
Cleveland CBX – 54°
Taylormade EF – 60° 
Ping Vault 2.0 Craz-E H   

[quote name='StuartM' timestamp='1286833830' post='2738474']
[quote name='jaycajun' timestamp='1286825327' post='2738258']
By far, this is the straightest driver I have ever had. Tour, IMIX, 10.5 head.
[/quote]

Some questions if I may:

How do you find it compares with other drivers for length?

What is your Swing speed and which shaft gives you get the best results?
[/quote]

I buy Callaway products when they are available on Callawaypreowned.com and have gone through the FT-5 tour, FT-9 Tour IMIX, FTiQ Tour IMIX, and now the FTiZ Tour IMIX. All were 10.5 loft with the same IMIX shaft, which is a Aldila NVS 55 Reg. Each IMIX head I bought was progressively longer and straighter than the one before, not by huge amounts, but it was noticeable. But by far, the FTiZ is extremely straight compared to the others. Swing speed is mid 90s, drives are 230ish and find the fairway 90% of the time. However, I am not liking the FTiZ 3 wood I just bought....it replaced a Callaway X that I had for 5 years.

However, I am not liking the FTiZ 3 wood I just bought....it replaced a Callaway X that I had for 5 years.
[/quote]

IM curious why? Its the longest and most forgiving fairway wood I have played in years. I love the driver too.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway FT IZ 3+ Stock Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Taylor Made Spider Tour T3 Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

[quote name='StuartM' timestamp='1286818018' post='2738108']
I just had another look and I see where you are coming from. The seam might add to the closed appearance. I did question if it might be an optical illusion on an earlier post on here. But still my problem with the FTIZ is when I look down on it against the ball all I can see coming is something going sharply right to left and that's exactly what I get. ....

Unless of course I crank the clubface open a bit at address and then it sends out missiles. Its weird and I've never come across a club like this before.
[/quote]

I've noticed it but I think that coming from an FT5 I've gotten accustomed to that, even though I think it's more noticeable on the iZ. I've gotten to that point of trust with the club that it doesn't bother me in the least, but that's not to discount what you see or how you react to it. There are some clubs out there with much subtler markings that I can't stand to look at. That's why choice is good.

And with that I'm gonna bow out of this discussion before it gets me thinking about it... :crazy:

[quote name='odshot68' timestamp='1286896421' post='2739518']
However, I am not liking the FTiZ 3 wood I just bought....it replaced a Callaway X that I had for 5 years.

IM curious why? Its the longest and most forgiving fairway wood I have played in years. I love the driver too.
[/quote]

In my own case, while the shape did not bother me for the driver, it did for the FW. For whatever reason I'd bring it inside going back and flip it coming through and hit low hooks. I'd get out my X FW and all was well.

[quote name='WVP' timestamp='1286836766' post='2738546']
[quote name='Andaluzian' timestamp='1286734148' post='2736901']
I've had 4 rounds with mine, The first one wasnt anygood [b]with the stock fake voodoo[/b]. I just hit high spinning floaters. I sent it back and upgraded to the Motore F3. This is the first time I"ve gone with a higher end upgraded shaft. Driving has always been my weak point but this thing is point and shoot and its as long or longer then any of the last 2 years models sold retail.
The bottome line is people complain it looks funny or this or that. Bottom line its long and forgiving and actually fun to drive with. I highly recommend dumping the stock shaft as its garbage in my opinion and confirmed a made for so don't kid yourself unless you upgraded to the real thing.
by the way this motore F3 with 105 mph swing speed is a great combo[/quote]Why is it fake? Are you saying Adila makes a crappy version just for the OEM's and only sells the "real" stuff for those who like to fit aftermarket shafts? That's a small market and seems like a silly business practice. You'd think they wouldn't want people using the stock shaft to think they make a so-so product.

Not calling you out, just curious and looking for info. I've seen this business practice implied before.
[/quote]
The Stock Voodoo is a decent OEM shaft that plays well for many. Callaway made some interesting choices with this shaft. Its high torque, but it must be decent quality because it does not excessively contort during the swing. The problem is the flex point. Why would you put a mid-low to low flex point in a driver shaft. That guarantees high floaters for decent swingspeeds. Decent quality shaft, bad design choice.Depending on what you are looking for, one of the best heads ever.

I am a total cally ho and had this driver for about 2 months. Very long carry with good roll out, head had decent feel and sound and i-mix shaft option was great. Actually got a free head from Callaway as my old FTI driver broke. I ended up selling the head to a friend as I just could not get used to the mass of the head in my downswing. I don't care for drivers that get their volume from long front to back and face length measurements. I like a deep face driver. Nothing wrong with this head at all and it performs admirably, I just could not get past the sensation that i was swinging a wet mop through impact.

[quote name='BlkNGld' timestamp='1286897770' post='2739553']
[quote name='StuartM' timestamp='1286818018' post='2738108']

[/quote]

I've noticed it but I think that coming from an FT5 I've gotten accustomed to that, even though I think it's more noticeable on the iZ. I've gotten to that point of trust with the club that it doesn't bother me in the least, but that's not to discount what you see or how you react to it. There are some clubs out there with much subtler markings that I can't stand to look at. That's why choice is good.

And with that I'm gonna bow out of this discussion before it gets me thinking about it... :crazy:
[/quote]

Thanks for your input - you helped me quite a bit and, yes, it's best not to think too much :shout:

Callaway XR16 4wood

[quote name='bjrapper' timestamp='1278071359' post='2550679']
[quote name='mbradley' date='01 July 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1278043568' post='2550343']
The 10 degree is actually square faced. The 10.5 is slightly open. I hit the 10.5 dead straight. My bad swings are hooks so this head helps a lot. Great driver! As far as I am concerned, best ever!
[/quote]

That is very interesting. I've always gone with the Tour version of Callys only because I didn't want a closed face. Might have to check one of these out. Thanks.
[/quote]

+1

Good info to know. It's tough finding an open face / higher lofted driver. They just assume that all the hackers slice the ball.

[quote name='jmon22' timestamp='1287018963' post='2742108']
Anyone else feel that this driver needs to be teed up lower than other drivers? Or is it just the shaft? Either way, this thing is a cannon.
[/quote]

Ironic, I found I need to tee it higher due to my swing path.

Ping G400 driver
Ping G425 5 wood

Ping G425 4 hybrid
Titleist T200 Irons (2019)
Vokey SM9 52, 56, 60 wedges
LAB Link 1

ive always played exotic x flexed shafts with high end drivers. i saw this at a cadillac/ callaway event and hit it a ton. weve all done that before but of course i had to have one. so for me to get a special shaft in x it would be a pain so i said ill buy the stock voodoo in stiff just like the one 8.5 i hit.. ill tell you its AWESOME. straight long,hard to shape but why phil doesnt hit this i dont know. I would be surprised if I dont have this in my bag for years to come. Side note Ive always been in the middle of stiff and x. 108 mph but i changed to all stiff flexes in my woods and all stock shafts. motore in r9 3 wood and a stiff reax burner hybrid from taylormade its been so much more effective. Im done with the exotic shafts. they may be better but dont help me that much.