2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

FT-IZ Driver review

mbradley

Probably takes out my Ping G15
I finally got a chance to really play my new Callaway FT-IZ on some challenging courses out in Palm Springs. I was able to guage it's performance versus my Ping G15 Driver. The set ups are somewhat different. but a comparison can be made. The Ping is a 10.5 with a Stiff Fuji Rombax 5Z-08;tip stiff, weak butt, 57 grams. The FT-IZ is a 10.5 Tour with a real Voodoo SVS6, 66 grams. Both are at 46 inches.

Distance

I don't know if this FT-IZ is as long as a FT Tour , which I found sick long, but its long. The thing that the FT-IZ has over the FT as well as the Ping is that it is consistently long, as in you make contact and its gone. I won't make statements like the whole face is a sweet spot, but any kind of decent contacct results in very long drives. It is so consistently longer than the G15 thats its not worth debating. Long all day. Some of the length could be due to the differences in shafts, but that kind of consistency has to be due to the head. The voodoo has a pronounced kick for sure. It dfinite,y suits my agressive swing better than the Rombax thats lighter and forces me to swing more within myself.

Forgiveness and Accuracy

No comparison. I was hitting the ball all over the face all weekend. It didn't matter. Long! I do not feel that this driver is as straight as my FT-IQ Tour was, which is the straightest that I have hit. I cannot say that it was significantly straighter than the Ping, but on average, its straighter. Toe hits were almost like center hits with little loss of distance. I was actually able to fade the ball consistently if I chose to. I was surprised that this club was more workable than the Ping.

Conclusion

Great grip it and rip it driver. Probably as long as anything out and the most forgiving, by far, that I have hit. Get a shaft better than the stock Voodoo. The G15 is a great buy at $299 with good shaft options, but the FT-IZ is a better driver.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='K-Brown' date='01 June 2010 - 05:10 AM' timestamp='1275383401' post='2479556']
i ordered my new ft -iz yesterday with a proforce v2 shaft. I am playing the ft-iq at the moment and i am hoping to gain another 5 yards or so off the tee. On the simulator it was showing about 10 yards longer with the iz but i will not be greedy.
[/quote]

Many agree that the FT-IQ fell behind the FT-9 in distance by a significant margin. I can say that for my swing, I was longer than the FT-9 with the FT-IZ. My FT-9 Tour was maybe 15 yds longer than my FT-IQ Tour, which has a Real Fubuki in it. The FT-IQ really limited side spin, but hit relatively short drives.

Great review! I have had my FT-IZ for about 4 months and have had very similar results. The most impressive thing for me about this driver is as you mentioned even mis-hits are LONG, and for the most part are straight. I definitely agree that the voodoo that comes with IZ is not ideal. I have the i-mix and have been experimenting with shafts, right now I'm gaming the 73 x whiteboard which is pretty awesome. I was gaming the RIP 80x which was great but I think it was too stiff and heavy for my swing. If you find the right shaft for this driver it is a monster!

[quote name='Asleep' date='08 June 2010 - 03:41 PM' timestamp='1276026064' post='2495499']
Compare the launch between the two, if you will?
[/quote]
If you are talking about my Ping G15 vs the FT-IZ, the set ups are a little different. The Rombax 5Z08 definitely lowers the ball flight more than a SVS6. Accordingly, the ball was flying a little lower with the Ping. While the FT-IZ launched higher with the Voodoo, it did seem to be a relatively low spin head.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately the FT-iz in a 13* is 1* closed. I have/had one and if hit in the middle it really flys. But I have a tendency to draw the ball and I hit one or two bad hooks with this club. I had to roll the face open which effectivally made it a 14* I think. I did like the look and feel when hit properly.

Then I realized I was not really hitting it any farther than my G10 12* so I am selling the club. It is a D-4 swing weight compared to the Ping D-? I forgot to measure it before I put on some lead tape. It took a bit of tape to get it up to a D-3 tonight. With more head weight I will probably hit the Ping longer. I like a D-4 weight. But the Callaway is shorter so was the test fair? For the money I'll stick with what I have.

I would like to try the FT-iz in a 10.5 SQUARE face. (I find it really irritating to have to look hard for a square faced driver.) I may return to one, we'll see. I am sure it will be a big seller. I am not sure I care for the plactic on the bottom. If I hit it good then it would be no issue. LOL JMHO =) maverick

BTW On the range I let a young player who was hitting the ball very well try the driver. All he said was, "it goes high." He forgot to mention it went very far.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='mbradley' date='01 July 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1278043568' post='2550343']
The 10 degree is actually square faced. The 10.5 is slightly open. I hit the 10.5 dead straight. My bad swings are hooks so this head helps a lot. Great driver! As far as I am concerned, best ever!
[/quote]

That is very interesting. I've always gone with the Tour version of Callys only because I didn't want a closed face. Might have to check one of these out. Thanks.

There's a lot of threads on these boards comparing the FT-iZ to the G15, and the 'consensus' seems to be it's a horse a piece / can't go wrong w/ either.

From what I've seen, the tour version sits square (the standard version about a * closed). As far as the G15, there's varying squabbles about some of them sitting closed, as Ping seems to have a larger margin of acceptable QC, but you can find ones that sit square (or do as I did and order one digitally lofted / set).

I've done the square iZ Tour vs. square G15 comparison. Both are great drivers. I didn't find one blowing the doors off the other - I hit about 20 balls with each and if anything it might have been 22 to 18 in terms of which went longer. Both have tight dispersion patterns, both went a long way, both had relatively similar launch and excellent forgiveness, and both strike me as more appealling clubs than anything Taylormade has out there.

Ultimately, I'm in the G15 camp, which is surprising considering I play the Diablo Tour 3wd, X-Forged '09 irons, and X forged wedges. I like Callaway's stuff.

But as there was little discernable performance differences (again, both are really solid drivers), I just find the G15 to be so much more pleasing to the eye. It's traditionally shaped and really feels great. The FT-iZ feel is nice too, different, but nice. But I just don't care for the shape of some of the high-MOI drivers. Didn't jump on the sqaure driver bandwagon, and am not jumping on the triangle bandwagon either. They just don't look good to me.

I'd get past it if there was a considerable performance difference, but there just isn't (for me).

Having said (written?) all that, I DO agree that the fact that I found a G15 that sits square is a HUGE advantage. If it came down to a square sitting FT-iZ vs a closed G-15, I'd roll with the FT-iZ.

Based on what I've read on these boards, I'd THINK this was the majority opinion?

G430 LST 9* Ventus TR Black 6S

Darkspeed 15* 1K Pro White 70S

G430 19* LIN-Q TSPX Black 85H F4

Black Ops 22* AV White 85S
ZX5 MkII (5-P) Modus3 105X
MG4 50,54,58 Modus3 125S

009M Welded 1.5 Flow Neck SSS

The Ft Iz looks closed but it is not. The 9* & 10* are square. The Ftiz Tour may look square but it is open. It may take a little time to get past this but these are great heads.

By chance I picked up the worng one. I hit straight to a fade with my miss being a slice. I hit a tour well at a demo and went with it.. I need the non tour but I can still keep the tour in the fairway. Being someone that was once a consistent slicer ------- I can't stand going to the right even if it is a slight fade.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

Keep this in mind. The FT-iZ generates it's distance while coming in at 45 in stock length. The G15 has a stock length of 46 in. The FT-iZ at a shorter length should be easier to control and hit more consistently.

So...what would happen if I make an i-Mix shaft to make my FT-iZ play at 46 in.

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Goldenhawk' date='02 July 2010 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1278079645' post='2550850']
Keep this in mind. The FT-iZ generates it's distance while coming in at 45 in stock length. The G15 has a stock length of 46 in. The FT-iZ at a shorter length should be easier to control and hit more consistently.

[/quote]

It seems that the extra inch on the Ping does not make much difference on accuracy. Actually I did not notice it very much but have in the past with longer shafts. I think the club is balanced very well so you do not notice the extra inch. JMHO =) maverick

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

[quote name='bjrapper' date='02 July 2010 - 07:49 AM' timestamp='1278071359' post='2550679']
[quote name='mbradley' date='01 July 2010 - 11:06 PM' timestamp='1278043568' post='2550343']
The 10 degree is actually square faced. The 10.5 is slightly open. I hit the 10.5 dead straight. My bad swings are hooks so this head helps a lot. Great driver! As far as I am concerned, best ever!
[/quote]

That is very interesting. I've always gone with the Tour version of Callys only because I didn't want a closed face. Might have to check one of these out. Thanks.
[/quote]
The tour versions in the past were mostly .5 degrees open. That's because the regular FT was 1 degree closed. The 9 and 10 degree loft that a lot of high swing speed players would hit, are definitely square. So if you are used to a closed faced Cally and got the Tour model, this time the tour could be too open. I was inittially hitting the 10.5 with a slight fade. I adjusted my grip. As it turns out the adjustment improved my ball striking on with all clubs. The Tour is now dead straight

[quote name='maverick' date='02 July 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1278088321' post='2551130']
[quote name='Goldenhawk' date='02 July 2010 - 09:07 AM' timestamp='1278079645' post='2550850']

[/quote]

It seems that the extra inch on the Ping does not make much difference on accuracy. Actually I did not notice it very much but have in the past with longer shafts. I think the club is balanced very well so you do not notice the extra inch. JMHO =) maverick
[/quote]
The ping shafts are counterbalanced with the somewhat heavier head of the G15(204 grams). That might be why it still swung well at 45.75 inches. My FTIZ Tour at 46 inches gets way more distance than the G15.

[quote name='mbradley' date='02 July 2010 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1278093465' post='2551298']
[quote name='maverick' date='02 July 2010 - 12:32 PM' timestamp='1278088321' post='2551130']

[/quote]

[/quote]
The ping shafts are counterbalanced with the somewhat heavier head of the G15(204 grams). That might be why it still swung well at 45.75 inches. My FTIZ Tour at 46 inches gets way more distance than the G15.
[/quote]

Now that's what I want to hear. What shaft are you using to play at 46 in.?

TaylorMade Qi10 Driver, 10.5*, GD Tour AD IZ-5S

Ping G430 Max 3 and 7 Woods, 16.5* and 21.0*, Alta CB Black 65R

TaylorMade 2023 P790 Irons, 4-PW, TT DG 105 R300
Titleist SM9 Wedges, 48.10 F, 54.10 S, 60.10 S, TT DG Wedge S200
Titleist Scotty Cameron Super Select Newport 2 Putter

[quote name='Goldenhawk' date='02 July 2010 - 03:15 PM' timestamp='1278098153' post='2551440']
[quote name='mbradley' date='02 July 2010 - 01:57 PM' timestamp='1278093465' post='2551298']

[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

Now that's what I want to hear. What shaft are you using to play at 46 in.?
[/quote]

I'm playing a Voodoo SVS6 at 46 inches. Great kick decent feel. No loss of control at 46 inches.

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1278077546' post='2550779']
The Ft Iz looks closed but it is not. The 9* & 10* are square. The Ftiz Tour may look square but it is open. It may take a little time to get past this but these are great heads.

By chance I picked up the worng one. I hit straight to a fade with my miss being a slice. I hit a tour well at a demo and went with it.. I need the non tour but I can still keep the tour in the fairway. Being someone that was once a consistent slicer ------- I can't stand going to the right even if it is a slight fade.
[/quote]

Just got a 10 degree FT IZ and it really really looks closed at address - can't believe Callaway say it is square. Is it an optical illusion?

I started off hooking or drawing everything but then started opening the clubface (so it appeared square to me) and hit some absolute bullets from then on. Can't decide whether it might just be easier to get the tour version......

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 deg x-torsion shaft
Callaway XR16 4wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 7 wood
Irons: Srixon Z545 4-PW Nippon 950GH shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 48, 52, 56
Putter: Scotty GOLO 5R

[quote name='StuartM' timestamp='1286647064' post='2735802']
[quote name='Cwing' timestamp='1278077546' post='2550779']

[/quote]

Just got a 10 degree FT IZ and it really really looks closed at address - can't believe Callaway say it is square. Is it an optical illusion?

I started off hooking or drawing everything but then started opening the clubface (so it appeared square to me) and hit some absolute bullets from then on. Can't decide whether it might just be easier to get the tour version......
[/quote]
Sounds like you would be better off with the tour version. I hit straight to a slight draw with mine. I think that this is the first time that I have read one of my old driver reviews and I was still playing the same driver. The FT-IZ has continued to do everything that I mentioned in my original review. Just no reason to replace it. I have seen many references to the Ping G15 since my original review. I'm going to stand by my original statements; if you have a FT-IZ with a good 46 in shaft, it will be longer and on average straighter than a G15.

[quote name='elcantante' timestamp='1278075534' post='2550742']
The FT-iz is a good driver but I can't stand the look of the head of the FT-Iz.. The shape totally throws me off, so I do not hit the FT-Iz as consistent as the G15. G15 by a large margin
[/quote]

I am with you on this one. I love my FT9 and was excited to try my new FT-iz. I could not get used to the head shape. Also, good contact shots were not longer than my FT9, through that might be more about the stock voodoo shaft than the head. I am going to try to find an i-mix FT-iz and see if it can hold up against my FT9

I've had 4 rounds with mine, The first one wasnt anygood with the stock fake voodoo. I just hit high spinning floaters. I sent it back and upgraded to the Motore F3. This is the first time I"ve gone with a higher end upgraded shaft. Driving has always been my weak point but this thing is point and shoot and its as long or longer then any of the last 2 years models sold retail.
The bottome line is people complain it looks funny or this or that. Bottom line its long and forgiving and actually fun to drive with. I highly recommend dumping the stock shaft as its garbage in my opinion and confirmed a made for so don't kid yourself unless you upgraded to the real thing.
by the way this motore F3 with 105 mph swing speed is a great combo

so I have my second round on mine..heres my feedback. I finally figured out how to hit it at the end of my last round. I open the face a degree or two and swing hard...long high bombs. I hope it wasn't a fluke. If I don't open it up...nothing great~

Callaway AI Smoke TD 10.5 Project X Denali Black 60S Driver

Callaway AI Smoke TD Tensei AV White 75 Stiff 3 Wood

Callaway Apex UW 19 & 21 deg MMT 70 Stiff Hybrids

Mizuno JPX 923 HMP 5-PW Project X IO 5.5 Irons

Cleveland RTX 6 48.10, 54.10, 60.12 TI DG Spinner Wedges

Ping Oslo 4 PLD Putter

TaylorMade TP5

Vessel Lux XV 2.0 Black Cart Bag

When these two came out I really thought it might finally be the time I get a Ping driver. Liked the look, liked the Serrano shaft elsewhere, but it failed miserably for me. Don't know if it was the length of the shaft, the weight, the counterbalancing or what -- it just didn't work. Fairways and hybrids, no problem.

OTOH my first experience with the FTiz was at a demo day and my attitude was more or less to take a couple of swings on my way back to the car. The bad shots aren't so bad, and the good ones leave me with a stupid grin. It's just a fun club to hit, and I've never used that word to describe a driver.