Mizuno MP-T10 vs Vokey

sboyle

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My last wedges were vokeys then cg15s - then I tried the mpt10s and these are still in the bag - sold the others...

Especially the black version is noticibly softer off the face and I've found them to create more spin than the others.

If you look at my witb - I'm obviously a little mizzy biased but I didn't get on with the mprs which I had a couple of years ago - couldn't get em to spin at all. OK I've improved my striking since then but the difference in the mt10s is night and day.

The finish on the black versions does not last - don't expect it to look sexy after even a couple of rounds - I like the worn look however and may end up "rawing" them. I had wear "issues" with the vokeys and clevelands too but not as obvious as the mizzies.

The biggest difference for me is the feel - the full on mizzy forged wedges just feel better/softer to me than the cast / semi-cast vokeys and clevelands. They're all great wedges ofc and it might just be my mizzy bias but I won't be changing them any time soon.

STZ 10.5 Motore F3 60s

STZ 5 wood Motore F3 70s

CLK 22 Tensei blue 
JPX 850 Forged 4-pw S300

ES21 54 60 
Mizuno Craft 1

I have a 56 degree vokey spin milled and a 52 degree Mizuno MP-T10, and for me the Vokey is superior in every department except for feel. I still feel that the Vokey spins better and is more playable from different lies and it's look at address is very pleasing to me as well. I will stick with the Mizuno for a while, but it won't be long before I bite the bullet on another vokey.

Before the Mizuno 52 deg. I was playing a Cleveland CG-12 52 degree and found it to be better as well.

I'll say that the MPs feel much better but the conforming grooves lack the spin of the SM Vokeys. I ditched my Vokeys for Scratch 1018s (non conforming) and I ditched them early this year for Cleveland CG15 Forged in Japan wedges I got as a gift through TSG. Although the CG15s are conforming I find they spin plenty out of the rough and have not hit any fliers as of yet though I am used to the conforming grooves on all of my irons already. If you plan on playing Conforming grooves the Scratch/Mizzy/Cleveland offerings will feel better than the cast Vokeys -- difference in spin will pretty much be negligable between sets.

If you are playing non-conforming you can't beat SMs/MDs/VRs -- they chew covers up after a few full swings.

Haiku as a sig?
They may be overrated
But I'm rocking one!
WITB:
balls, clubs, keys to your moms place...

I have a set of mp t-10's and had a set of vokeys before switching. here's my 2 cents:

mp t-10s: looks better at address. small and compact club head = better accuracy for me. feels better - forged. 360 grind which offers great versaitility on various lies. i cant comment on the spin aspect, yet.

sm vokeys: face is a bit bigger, but still a good shape. more forgiving. great spin. c-grind. doesnt feel too hard for a cast club. SW felt heavier, whereas the mizzys felt perfect for me.

i love mizuno products, but i am [i]kindaaa[/i] missing my vokeys.

Went from Callway X Forged to MP T10 after trying out Vokey's, Cleveland, etc. Couldn't get away from forged feel and after 3 months, I am still very happy with performance. FYI, I have noticed that they spin alot and it's taken a little to get used to

G430 MAX Alta

G425 MAX FW/Hybrid Alta

ZX5 mk ii KBS Tour Lite

S159 KBS Tour

Bettinardi Inovai 6.0

I'm a Titleist biased guy, but I definitely like my Mizuno wedges more so than the Vokey's I've owned/hit. Thinner topline, more compact, and better feel. I can't comment on spin as I've never hit either on a monitor, but I've never had never had a problem getting either ball to hold on the green.

The Mizuno wedges used to chew the hell out of my ProV1s, but after a year of use the ball comes away relatively unscathed. I'm sure the Vokey's lose their bite a bit also.

+1 vote for Mizzy.

• 2 weeks later...

I used to game MPT10s and went to the Vokeys. Love the spin and playability of the Vokeys. I hit the MPT 10s in the golf store. WOW! These things are soft!!!! I cannot comment on playability or spin bc I hit them into a net. But these things feel amazing!

[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Taylormade R9 10.5* Diamana Kai'li [/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Taylormade R9 17* Diamana Kai'li[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Callaway FT 21* Diamana Thump[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Mizuno MP-52 5-PW Project X[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Vokey SM 52, 56, 60, 64 KBS Tour[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#0000ff][size=3][font=courier new,courier,monospace]Bettinardi SB-1[/font][/size][/color]

I´m loving my Vokeys, they stayed in the bag longer than anything else (expect for a new set of Vokeys, because the old one were worn).

I tried the MP-T10 in the black finish as well. The finish looks good, but I prefer the headshapt of the Vokeys. In the feel department the Mizunos are slightly softer, but the Vokeys have exceptional feel as well, almost like a forged club.

Overall the Vokeys are just the perfect wedge for me, looking and performing percetly.

Yamaha V202 Tour - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha v FW 14° - Tour AD BB-7
Yamaha IFF 19° - Tour AD DI-7
Epon Personal 3-P - DG Pro
Yamaha Inpres X 52° 58° - DG Spinner
Golds Factory SUS 303 custom
WITB Link

I was a Vokey player for about 8 years and loved them. I switched to the MP T10 black this season (54 & 58) and don't regret it one bit. The MP T10s are more versatile, look better, and far superior in feel. The Vokey's offer more bounce and loft options and have superior spin (not by much). But they also chew up balls a lot faster. To me, the difference in feel outweighs the difference in spin. I can't say enough good things about the MP T10. My short game (and confidence) is better right now than it's been in years. I feel like I can get up and down from anywhere and have been a lot lately.

Callaway X2 Hot Driver Aldila Tour Green
Callaway X2 Hot 15* 3 Wood
Mizuno JPX EZ 16* Hybrid
Ping I20 20* Hybrid
Callaway Apex Pro 4-W KBS Tour-V
Mizuno MP T-5 Black Ion Wedges 52, 58 KBS-610
Odyssey Works Versa V-Line, 33"

I have a backup set of MP-T Chrome wedges (53 and 58). They do feel great (softer) but I like my Vokeys better (more spin). If anybody is interested on trying forged Mizzy wedges, send me a PM. rolleyes.gif

[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Taylormade M1 10.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics EX9 Tour 13* - Diamana S+ 70S[/font][/size]
[size=2][font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Tour Edge Exotics CB Pro 14.5* - Fujikura Speeder 661[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Adams Idea Pro A12 23* - Aldila RIPd VS Proto[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Bridgestone J36 PC (4-PW) - KBS Tour[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Nike Engage 56TS & 60S- DG S200[/font]
[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif]Mizuno-Bettinardi BC1[/font][/size]

[color=#1C2837][quote=acquadiice]wow i had the t-10s and now have the vokeys in the bag... the t-10s are amazing... i miss them and cant wait for the conforming ones to come out here. [/quote][/color]
[color=#1C2837]
[/color]
[color=#1C2837]I called my golf shop guy today and he tells me the C-C Mizuno Wedges will be out in a month.[/color]
[color=#1C2837]
[/color]
[color=#1C2837]I'm also eagerly awaiting that release.[/color]
[color=#1C2837]
[/color]
[color=#1C2837]Anyone have more info on this?[/color]

• 1 month later...

Does anyone have a comparison to how either, the Vokey or the MP T-10s tear up the balls. And if so any quick wear to wear down that just a tab to preserve the ball a little longer?

my mpt10's are wearing pretty damn fast, just like all mizzy clubs. they dont spin the ball like other "spinny" wedges (callaway with md groooves, nike vr's etc.) but they feel SO good and are accurate as hell.

I feel I can control the spin a lot compared to my pops cally with md grooves. no matter what you do, its stopping or spinning back.

Don't hear much about people playing the Taylormade xFT wedges see as how you can change worn out grooves instead of replacing the entire club. I'm a Mizzy guy from day one, but also a poor college student trying to get the most out of my money for the time being.

i have used the old "model" spin milled vokeys since they came out have changed them about 8 time as wore them out alwasy the same specs bounce etc etc. 56deg 10* bounce and a 60deg 4* bounce. i have a pretty good shortgame (handicap 1) as i am pretty crooked off the tee.

since i cannot get the old spin milled specs any more and i really can't stand the new ones, i went off on a search to get a replacemnt. by accident i stumbled across the MPt 10's and was instantly sold. i have tried nike vrs, clevelands, srixon, wilson & ping wedges before i came to these. i now have 2 of them in black a 56 deg & 60deg in nippion shafts (thats what were in my friend i tried).

my opinion compared to vokeys for what is work!

M T-10s:

compact club head very easy to open up from the rough. feels better - ball seems to nicely stick to the face. grind extremely versaitility on various lies, i bascially chip everything with my 56, can open it up and leading edges stays nice and close to the ground! Bunkers very good, although i have always found mizzy wedges excel from the sand over most wedges so not suprised here!
spin: i spin the ball a lot so not really an issue. Full shots spin personally i found to be very similar to vokeys no real difference. greenside chips vokeys do spin more not a lot more but defintely more.

sm vokeys:

face is bigger, probably a little more forgiving. good spin on very short shots. not hard or clickly for a cast club. very good from rough especially the 60, oodles of spin. although have found them poor from bunkers in general

either way you can't go wrong both are great clubs

I have the MP T's and the Vokeys and for some reason I spin the crap out of the Mizunos but can't spin the vokeys at all, which is very strange. Also, I was disappointed with the vokeys specs. I checked the lofts and lies and the 54* was actually 55* (that's fine) but the 58* was actually 56* and the 62* was actually 60*. That's pretty shady quality control when tolerances are supposed to be within 1*. Pretty sure Mizuno's are still made in Japan and although Chinese foundries have come a long way, I don't think they are quite up to Japanese quality, at least based on this comparison. FWIW, the vokeys were pretty easy to bend to correct specs, unlike Cleveland CG 12's and 15's.

• 3 months later...

The 2010 mp t-10's with the "quad cut grooves" spin just as much as the 2010 "spin milled" vokey design wedges for me. I like that all of the mizuno's have a more versatile grind that comes standard which I think makes them a much easier buy. After that its just a feel thing and the mizzys are softer/forged. You can't go wrong with either one really. Nothing is more "popular" than the Vokeys.

I have the MPT-10s with KBS X in them. I guess I would be a little Mizuno biased, but I played Vokey wedges before these. I only had the Spin MIlled in my 60. I love the change coming from the Vokeys, because the feel with the Mizuno wedges is amazing. I love being able to control the trajectory with the KBS, too. The 56 and 60 that I have are spin monsters, and the 52 isn't quite as agressive with the grooves as the higher lofts. It is really awesome to have such a smooth transition from my irons to wedges, and I found that my short game has improved with them. Also, for those one hop and then stop type shots, the 60 and 56 are GREAT. You can just feel the spin and then it just hits, hops and stops. All around, the best wedges I have ever used. And I was the guy who was saying that it would be impossible to get the 200 Series wedges out of my hands. (I still have them in my garage just in case.) But the Mizunos are definitely the way to go.

Wedges are pretty personal and it depends what you are looking for. Vokey is far superior for options in the sole grind. Of course the forged Mizuno feel is outstanding and the plated Vokey's feel very clicky...the oil can's feel wayyyyyy better than the chrome or black nickel Vokey's. Its nice that the new Mizuno's come standard with the DG spinner shafts.

I currently use a oil can Vokey for a good blend of feel and sole grind. I also think they have the best shape. The sole is the most important part in choosing wedge so you should start from there.