2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Quick Question Regarding iPhone/Android Golf Apps...

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[b]They are illegal[/b].
Smart phones offer too much help. Weather, wind direction, internet etc.
Which sucks 'cause I love Golfshots on the iphone 4.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='finalist' timestamp='1279835789' post='2593277']
[b]They are illegal[/b].
Smart phones offer too much help. Weather, wind direction, internet etc.
Which sucks 'cause I love Golfshots on the iphone 4.
[/quote]
I don't think it's this simple. The verbiage is that a device cannot be capable of "gauging or measuring" factors besides distance. Literally, (most) smartphones cannot "gauge or measure" wind speed/direction, temperature, etc...they simply report generic data from some other device's measurement that happens to be near your location.

The internet on a phone doesn't make it automatically illegal, either...multifunction devices are specifically allowed for non-golfing purposes.

You should, of course, ask the organization hosting an event but, while I'm not sure smartphones are legal, I'd say it's not clear that they're ILLEGAL, either.

Titleist TSR2 10*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 15*, Ventus Blue
Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

In my opinion, smart phones are illegal for tournament play and calculating a handicap. The USGA allowed lasers/GPS devices that give distance in 2006 after years of lobbying. When they made them legal, they made it very clear that only distance could be provided and not slope, elevation, wind or anything that was considered outside assistance. Therefore, if a device has the ability to provide additional information it would not be deemed legal. I don't know if this makes sense or not because I don't know the rules, but if you could draft a document on your smart phone that listed specific details on each hole prior to playing the round, I would guess it wouldn't be okay with the USGA. Or, if you had someone texting you while you were playing the round giving you advice it wouldn't be okay with the USGA. The bottom line is that smart phones do so much that there is no way they could ever be considered legal for tournament play.

[quote name='friscoloco' timestamp='1280167588' post='2599992']
In my opinion, smart phones are illegal for tournament play and calculating a handicap. The USGA allowed lasers/GPS devices that give distance in 2006 after years of lobbying. When they made them legal, they made it very clear that only distance could be provided and not slope, elevation, wind or anything that was considered outside assistance. Therefore, if a device has the ability to provide additional information it would not be deemed legal. I don't know if this makes sense or not because I don't know the rules, but if you could draft a document on your smart phone that listed specific details on each hole prior to playing the round, I would guess it wouldn't be okay with the USGA. Or, if you had someone texting you while you were playing the round giving you advice it wouldn't be okay with the USGA. The bottom line is that smart phones do so much that there is no way they could ever be considered legal for tournament play.
[/quote]

Actually you are allowed to have any information with you, that you desire as long as it was published before your round begins.

I have been and will continue to use golfshot GPS for my rounds. The program affords me no more information than my yardage book, but saves me the time of looking for sprinkler heads and pacing off distances. If the USGA would like to send me a free legal GPS unit then I will gladly use it, but until then I have better things to do with $400.

And I am certainly not going to spend that much money on a gps unit, that isn't even near as good as my $30 app.

The statement from the USGA is "[color=#505050][u]the device must measure distance only; it must not measure other conditions such as wind speed or direction, the slope of the ground or the temperature[/u].". [/color][color=#505050]Smartphones can show real time weather information, the break of the green, and even slope of the fairway to the green. That makes them non-conforming. This is just like laser rangefinders that can show slope. The lasers with slope are non-conforming even if the slope can be turned off or disabled. But considering the number GPS apps available for smartphones and laser rangefinders with slope, the fact they are non-conforming is not stopping people from buying them or using them.[/color]
[color=#505050]
[/color]
[color=#505050]So what can happen if you use smartphone GPS apps? For people that never play in tournaments, nothing will happen. But if you use them in a tournament that follows USGA rules, you will be DQ'ed for their use. Also if you use smartphone GPS apps during a round used for your handicap calculation, if someone challenges your handicap, your handicap will be disallowed at the worst. If you only used the app for a couple rounds (and can prove it) and if the handicap committee is in a good mood, they may throw out the rounds you used the app and recalculate your handicap.[/color]

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5 driver w/ Project X Riptide 50 5.0
Callaway Epic Flash 3, 5, & 7 woods w/ Fujikura Pro 2.0 R2-6

Callaway Apex 21 DCB 4 iron w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0 
Callaway Apex 21 5 - AW w/ Project X Catalyst 50 5.0
Callaway Mack Daddy CB 56 w/ Project X Catalyst 60 5.5
Toulon Design Palm Beach Stroke Lab
Callaway Chrome Soft

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1280235045' post='2601741']
The statement from the USGA is "[color=#505050][u]the device must measure distance only; it must not measure other conditions such as wind speed or direction, the slope of the ground or the temperature[/u].". [/color][color=#505050]Smartphones can show real time weather information, the break of the green, and even slope of the fairway to the green. That makes them non-conforming. This is just like laser rangefinders that can show slope. The lasers with slope are non-conforming even if the slope can be turned off or disabled. But considering the number GPS apps available for smartphones and laser rangefinders with slope, the fact they are non-conforming is not stopping people from buying them or using them.[/color]
[color=#505050]
[/color]
[color=#505050]So what can happen if you use smartphone GPS apps? For people that never play in tournaments, nothing will happen. But if you use them in a tournament that follows USGA rules, you will be DQ'ed for their use. Also if you use smartphone GPS apps during a round used for your handicap calculation, if someone challenges your handicap, your handicap will be disallowed at the worst. If you only used the app for a couple rounds (and can prove it) and if the handicap committee is in a good mood, they may throw out the rounds you used the app and recalculate your handicap.[/color]
[/quote]
The operative word in the USGA statement is "measure". If you dial up Yahoo Weather on your phone, the device is clearly not measuring anything, you're getting information measured by a different device from some other (nearby) location. I don't think it's legal to do that, but since you're allowed to use a phone that's capable of it during a round for non-golf purposes (according to the USGA), I don't think it automatically excludes those phones. Smartphones (at least the ones I'm familiar with) don't measure wind speed/direction or temperature. Some don't have an accelerometer to measure slope. For the ones that do, if you don't have a level sort of program installed, they can't measure slope either.

Again, I'm not sure if smartphones are generally legal, can be legal depending on the software on them, or if they're always illegal...but the "gauging and measuring" words would literally point to them NOT being necessarily illegal.

Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

This is all very interesting as I just recently downloaded the golflogix app on my droid x. The USGA "ruling" won't stop me from posting scores that were at the aid of my phone. I understand why the USGA is doing this because as "honest" as golfers should be, IMO there are more dishonest golfers than honest ones out there. I can see people downloading apps that aid them, i.e. wind, slope, break of the green. Do those things even exist? An app to show break of the green? Can you say goodbye Aimpoint?

The apps that show break are sort pf silly. The phones are so sensitive and short that a few blades of grass can distort the lie of the phone and render false readings. Level apps are best left for hanging picture frames, etc.

There is an interesting point made here. The phones don't actually calculate the data such as wind speed.

This rule drives me nuts because I like Golfshots app better than my uPro or range finder

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

There are apps that you can place the smartphone on the green and it will show you the direction the green is breaking. It is not like Aimpoint where you would know the exact line it will go, but you place the smartphone on a couple spots on the green and you will know the direction and how much the green is breaking. No more wondering about the "Indio effect" or any other landmark that will effect the break even if you cannot see with these apps.

Callaway Chrome Soft

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1280242464' post='2601951']
There are apps that you can place the smartphone on the green and it will show you the direction the green is breaking. It is not like Aimpoint where you would know the exact line it will go, but you place the smartphone on a couple spots on the green and you will know the direction and how much the green is breaking. No more wondering about the "Indio effect" or any other landmark that will effect the break even if you cannot see with these apps.
[/quote]

I hope that there really isn't anyone out there walking the green and laying their phone down at intervals along their projected path to generate a "line". If I saw something like that in a tournament I'd surely question the players behaviour. If anyone sees me doing that please throw my phone in the nearest hazard.

[quote name='kurob' timestamp='1280239979' post='2601878']
Again, I'm not sure if smartphones are generally legal, can be legal depending on the software on them, or if they're always illegal...but the "gauging and measuring" words would literally point to them NOT being necessarily illegal.
[/quote]

You can read the full joint statement by the R&A and the USGA here: [url="http://www.usga.org/news/2009/November/USGA-R-A-Joint-Statement-On-Electronic-Devices/"]USGA-R&A Joint Statement On Electronic Devices, Including Distance-Measuring Devices[/url]

But the relevant portions say:
[quote]
2. When the local rule is in effect, distance-measuring devices must be limited to measuring distance only. The use of a distance-measuring device would constitute a breach of the Rules if:

· The device has the capability of gauging or measuring other conditions that might affect play (e.g., wind speed, gradient, temperature, etc), or;

· The device has some other non-conforming feature, including, but not limited to, recommendations that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his play, such as club selection, type of shot to be played (e.g., punch shot, pitch and run, etc.), or green reading (i.e., a recommended line of putt), or other advice-related matters. However, it is permissible to use such a device, during a stipulated round, to access distance information from previous rounds that has been processed prior to the commencement of the current round (e.g., a chart of all club yardages), or;

· The device has the capability to assist in calculating the effective distance between two points (i.e., distance after considering gradient, wind speed and/or direction, temperature or other environmental factors).

There would be a breach of the Rules even if all of the above features can be switched off or disengaged, and in fact are switched off or disengaged.

3. Multi-functional devices such as mobile phones, PDAs, etc (i.e., devices that are primarily communication devices, but which may have other potential uses) may be used as follows:

· The device may be used for any non-golfing purpose (e.g., as a communication tool to phone, text or email), subject to any club/course regulations and the rules on accessing advice-related matters – see Decision 14-3/16.

· When the local rule is in effect, a distance-measuring application may be used, provided the specific application is restricted to "distance only" and [b]the device does not have any other "non-conforming" features. This is the case even if these other features are not being used[/b]. As above, the rules on advice-related communications (including the use of the internet) still apply. [/quote]

So, you can clearly use a distance measuring app on a smartphone, but only if "[b]the device does not have any other "non-conforming" features. This is the case even if these other features are not being used".[/b] So you need to delete your level, your weather app, and any other GPS type app that is capable of providing altitude information (plus any other apps that are capable of providing information that might be useful beyond the type of information found in a yardage book.)

Of course, all of this only applies to tournaments that have adopted a local rule allowing the use of distance measuring devices. Arguably, it also applies to every round you use to obtain a handicap index as well. If you just load up a golf app and don't purge your other apps, you're probably going to get DQ'd if anyone sees you using it in a Tournament.

I think the penultimate paragraph of the joint statement makes the USGA (and R&A) position crystal clear:
[quote]The USGA and The R&A have no intention to permit the use of electronic devices to go beyond the current rules and interpretations. This means that distance-measuring devices and applications will be limited to distance information only. If a device that is being used for distance-measuring purposes has any additional features, all such features must conform to the Rules of Golf.[/quote]

Of course, the capabilities of smartphones and iphones is certainly not limited to the simple task of distance measurement. the iphone famously has more apps than most, including those for tempearature and weather measurement, as well as real time access to the internet. The obvious flaw is the smartphones (or any other phone) ability as a communication device. What is to stop a fore-caddie or similar to inform the player of ground conditions, what other players are doing etc. in advance via text? How are rules officials able to discriminate between which function the player is using? It seems clear to me that the temptation to abuse the technology on offer is too great for some - cheat in other words. The only way to remove any doubt - remove the phone. Simple.

There is a reason that lasers with slope are not allowed even if the slope function is turned off. At some point in the round it could easily be turned on and how would anyone know? By the same token, apps that could provide other than distance information may not be present at the time one first tees off but they can certainly be easily downloaded during the round. Again, how would anyone know?

There [b][i]is [/i][/b]a slope app for the iPhone; there [i][b]is [/b][/i]a thermometer app for the iPhone ; there [i][b]is[/b][/i] an app to measure wind speed. The fact that the capability exists, used ot not, makes them illegal in my estimation.

[quote name='mike03a3' timestamp='1281720885' post='2636612']
So, you can clearly use a distance measuring app on a smartphone, but only if "[b]the device does not have any other "non-conforming" features. This is the case even if these other features are not being used".[/b] So you need to delete your level, your weather app, and any other GPS type app that is capable of providing altitude information (plus any other apps that are capable of providing information that might be useful beyond the type of information found in a yardage book.)
[/quote]
I have read the statement, which is why I carefully chose my words. The iPhone, as an example, does NOT [b]"gauge or measure"[/b] temperature or wind speed. It doesn't have the requisite hardware to do that. There are apps (including the weather one that comes with it) which report that information from a nearby location, but that doesn't make the phone violate the literal language of the USGA/R&A statement. Maybe it violates the spirit of it, but I'm not at all convinced. Add the fact that "multi-function" phones are allowed for other purposes, even though they can also access that weather information, and it leads me to believe this statement isn't the death sentence for phone GPS that people generally make it out to be.

I agree that level apps clearly violate the rule and having one installed makes the device illegal.

As with anything, you should be asking your tournament director before using one in competitive play.

Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

[quote name='kurob' timestamp='1282017267' post='2643879'] The iPhone, as an example, does NOT [b]"gauge or measure"[/b] temperature or wind speed.
[/quote]

Whereas the temperature apps are using the internet to get local temperature information and technically are not "gauging or measuring", the wind apps are another story. You actually hold the phone up so that the microphone faces into the wind. How accurate that method of measurement is could certainly be debated, but the app is certainly attempting to "gauge or measure" the wind speed.

[quote name='phil75070' timestamp='1282048218' post='2644283']
[quote name='kurob' timestamp='1282017267' post='2643879'] The iPhone, as an example, does NOT [b]"gauge or measure"[/b] temperature or wind speed.
[/quote]

Whereas the temperature apps are using the internet to get local temperature information and technically are not "gauging or measuring", the wind apps are another story. You actually hold the phone up so that the microphone faces into the wind. How accurate that method of measurement is could certainly be debated, but the app is certainly attempting to "gauge or measure" the wind speed.
[/quote]

Unfortunately, a compass is also illegal. The iPhone comes with a compass application from Apple that can't be deleted. This probably disqualifies it's use. That's really a shame. I don't play tournaments anymore and will continue to use my iPhone for GPS. I would love to find out I'm wrong on this...

Kevin

[color="#4169E1"][b]14-3/4 Use of Compass During Round[/b][/color]

Q. A player uses a compass during a round to assist him in determining wind direction or the direction of the grain in the greens or for some other similar reason. Is the player in breach of Rule 14-3?

A. Yes. A compass is considered to be an artificial device and must not be used for these purposes.

I could be wrong
I've been wrong before
I'll be wrong again

[/quote]

[/quote]

I would consider an app that can display the temperature, wind speed, or other weather conditions as gauging the weather. Weather Bug displays current weather info from nearby weather stations. Some of those weather stations are located at golf courses which would allow you to gauge the weather where you are at.

Question for all of the app fans that think the apps are conforming. If the app was conforming to USGA rules, wouldn't you expect marketing for the app to highlight the fact the app was conforming? I would think that would to a huge selling point if they were.

Callaway Chrome Soft

I'm not one to argue too many rules because they are there for a reason but this whole smart phone thing is ridiculous. I use golflogix on my Droid and I will continue to use it and post my scores with it. I simply use the gps feature, not the club suggestion, slope, humidity, blah, blah, blah.

This game is about integrity and while I don't play in any USGA/PGA events, I would hope that this virtue would extend to all aspects of the rules of golf. Just like Ian Woosnam finding the extra driver in his bag at the Open one year. Noone would have been the wiser if he didn't say anything. Along the same lines, who's to stop someone from buying a Bushnell with slope feature and paint the case or scratch the model off the case?

Integrity, some have it, most don't.

Found this:

Smartphones and Other Multi-function Devices
In the case of multi-function and smartphone devices that can run golf GPS apps, such as the iPhone and BlackBerry, the ruling is more complex, but it is clear. Some have interpreted the 2009 USGA/R&A Joint Statement to mean that multi-function devices that may include phone, Web-browser, and weather app capability, are not permitted for competition under any circumstances.

That is not the case, says Carter Rich, equipment standards manager for the USGA Test Center, based in Far Hills, New Jersey. For example, use of a conforming golf GPS app on an iPhone or BlackBerry is allowed when the local rule permitting use of such apps is in effect, with some qualifiers.

My "editorial opinion". I have been the "victim" of someone, a competitor, bringing a cell phone on the course during a club championship because he was "on call". What we do not need is another excuse (golf apps) to have a cell phone turned on while playing golf. If one can't be away from the phone for the time it takes to play a round of golf then maybe they shouldn't be on the course. Most of the time, it is guys cheating their employers by sneaking off playing golf when they are supposed to be working. Of course, having a cell phone in the bag, turned off, for use during a possible emergency would be totally accpetable and I do it myself.

These fall into two categories:
1. Resident functions normally found on smartphones, such as web browsers, and calling capability.
2. Golf-specific apps or other apps that might assist the player in making a stroke or in his or her play.

Even though a golfer could potentially open a weather site via a Web browser during competition, Rich says, the rules do not prohibit the use of a Web browser-equipped smartphone in competition. There are other, permitted uses for a Web browser, such as checking e-mail, for example (don’t do that in my foursome, though!). As with many rules of golf, it’s up to the golfer to stay within the rules with these capabilities on devices in his or her possession during competition.

The same is true for phone calling capability, for example. “It’s fine to call your family and let them know you’ll be late for dinner. But calling your coach for swing tips is of course not permitted under the Rules of Golf,” says Rich.

Regarding specific apps, there are some that you may not have on your device, whether you use them or not. For example, green slope-reading capability is not permitted on dedicated GPS or laser rangefinders, nor is it permitted on smartphones and other multi-function electronic devices, says Rich. Simply having a green-slope reading app or functionality on your device is enough to make it non-conforming, and to disqualify the golfer.

However, a conforming golf GPS smartphone app that provides distances is still permitted.

The bottom line? Keep using conforming dedicated GPS devices and smartphone apps when the local rule permitting them is in effect, taking care to keep in mind the letter and intent of the rules as clarified above.

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1282051332' post='2644383']
[/quote]

[/quote]

I would consider an app that can display the temperature, wind speed, or other weather conditions as gauging the weather. Weather Bug displays current weather info from nearby weather stations. Some of those weather stations are located at golf courses which would allow you to gauge the weather where you are at.

Question for all of the app fans that think the apps are conforming. If the app was conforming to USGA rules, wouldn't you expect marketing for the app to highlight the fact the app was conforming? I would think that would to a huge selling point if they were.
[/quote]

Many golf course club houses have a computer or tv on to monitor the daily weather. If you look at this before or during your round are you saying you are in violation? This is common knowledge available to anyone. So why would that portion of a smartphone make it non-conforming? PLUS anyone who has an "APP" to measure the wind needs to have their head examined if they really think it is giving them any accuracy. :drag: You can get the same accuracy by licking your finger and pointing it up in the air.

[quote name='Zephead' timestamp='1282081343' post='2645575']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Many golf course club houses have a computer or tv on to monitor the daily weather. If you look at this before or during your round are you saying you are in violation? This is common knowledge available to anyone. So why would that portion of a smartphone make it non-conforming? PLUS anyone who has an "APP" to measure the wind needs to have their head examined if they really think it is giving them any accuracy. :drag: You can get the same accuracy by licking your finger and pointing it up in the air.
[/quote]

If you use an app to get weather info as part of your shot making process during a round, it is a violation. Also there are apps that will determine wind speed and temperature right there, not just at a nearby weather station. I have no idea how accurate they are but using them in the decision on making a shot is a violation.

Callaway Chrome Soft

Zephead, it is because the Rules are the Rules. Lots of them seem silly or nit picking. How about the fact that looking into another player's bag to see what club was hit is perfectly 'OK' but to move towel aside to do so is not.

Also, I think people are being too "fine" in their definition or thinking of what "gauge" means. To "gauge" does not necessarily mean that it has to be measured via instrumentation at that particular point in time or place, but any app that would "assist in estimating" information, other than distance, that would assist in making the stroke, such as wind, slope, temperature, etc. If "gauge" as used by the USGA meant "to measure" then using both terms is unnecessarily redundant. Both terms are used because they do have different connotations.

[quote name='Zephead' timestamp='1282081343' post='2645575']

[/quote]

The rules permit information prepared before you start the round. You can print a screen shot of the weather before you tee off and consult it during the round. What you cannot do is carry a device that is capable of providing current weather during the round, even if you don't use it. Please note that I'm not making any attempt to defend the logic of the rules, merely stating what they are.

Question for all of the app fans that think the apps are conforming. If the app was conforming to USGA rules, [b]wouldn't you expect marketing for the app to highlight the fact the app was conforming?[/b] I would think that would to a huge selling point if they were.
[/quote]
On SkyCaddy's site, you have to navigate into their FAQ to find out its conforming, so I don't think that's the best criteria to deem them illegal. I don't think the majority of the golfing public much cares if they're against the rules or not, and I suspect marketing departments largely share that opinion.

Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1282130120' post='2646587']
If you use an app to get weather info as part of your shot making process during a round, it is a violation. [b]Also there are apps that will determine wind speed and temperature right there, not just at a nearby weather station.[/b] I have no idea how accurate they are but using them in the decision on making a shot is a violation.
[/quote]
What are the names of those apps? I'd like to check out their accuracy.

Titleist TSR2 18*, GD IZ
Titleist T100s, 4-GW, PX
Vokey SM9 54, 58
Scotty Super Rat 1
Pro V1x

[quote name='kurob' timestamp='1282599985' post='2657465']
[quote name='TM_HOYER' timestamp='1282130120' post='2646587']
If you use an app to get weather info as part of your shot making process during a round, it is a violation. [b]Also there are apps that will determine wind speed and temperature right there, not just at a nearby weather station.[/b] I have no idea how accurate they are but using them in the decision on making a shot is a violation.
[/quote]
What are the names of those apps? I'd like to check out their accuracy.
[/quote]

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iPhone+wind+app

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=iphone+temperature+app

[quote name='mike03a3' timestamp='1282584539' post='2656860']
The rules permit information prepared before you start the round. You can print a screen shot of the weather before you tee off and consult it during the round. What you cannot do is carry a device that is capable of providing current weather during the round, even if you don't use it. Please note that I'm not making any attempt to defend the logic of the rules, merely stating what they are.
[/quote]
Yeah I understand it is just a rule. I wasn't trying to dispute it, I was just curious on how that would be handled. I was really just trying to state the obsurdity of someone actually using some of these apps to think it is giving them an advantage. I'm not trying to defend someone who does. I just find it funny that people would try to use a "wind" app or level gage on the green during a competition. I don't think I would be able to even take my next shot if I saw someone walking the line of their putt placing thier phone on the ground every few feet or holding it up in the air to get a wind speed. I don't know too many people who could take 2 MPH of air speed and translate that into a better approach shot more than just knowing "the wind is blowing slightly from left to right". It is sad that some people feel the need to think they are gaining an edge on someone but really have no way of using the information they have, but that is just the Engineer in me.

Just to blur the rules a little further with the definiton of "gauge", wouldn't throwing grass up in the air to see which way the wind is blowing or how fast ALSO be in violation since it is "assisting in estimating"??

[quote name='kurob' timestamp='1282599907' post='2657457']

Question for all of the app fans that think the apps are conforming. If the app was conforming to USGA rules, [b]wouldn't you expect marketing for the app to highlight the fact the app was conforming?[/b] I would think that would to a huge selling point if they were.
[/quote]
On SkyCaddy's site, you have to navigate into their FAQ to find out its conforming, so I don't think that's the best criteria to deem them illegal. I don't think the majority of the golfing public much cares if they're against the rules or not, and I suspect marketing departments largely share that opinion.
[/quote]

I use my SkyCaddie app on my cell phone every round to keep my score and certain stats, but that is it. I guess the marketing for the app can say the app is conformaing all they want, but if the devise using the app isn't, it doesn't really matter.