2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Right Wrist Cock & Position

TheHomez

Help my understand why I need this...
Hi guys, I am asking about the role of the right wrist in the swing because during my last lesson my instructor told me that I do not cup my right wrist enough. Meaning that at the top it should look close to a waitor holding a tray and that this will help get me on plane, kinda like this http://www.iseekgolf.com/images/golfschool/6_6_big.jpg

However, since I have been trying to do this, I have noticed that the ball strike is more crisp, but the results aren't as consistent. Also, during my backswing I just think about hinging my right wrist and I don't think its a good swing thought.

So, I was wondering why my instructor wants me to have this right wrist flex? And, if I fail to have the right wrist in the proper position at the top, what are the negative outcomes of the swing, this way I know what I am doing wrong?

The main reason why I am asking is because I saw on this website that if you hinge your right wrist you will hit slices and fades, which is exatly what I do ( http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_..._52/ai_79352565 )

Thanks in advance for any help and advice. :drinks:

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

a cupped right wrist will cause you to drop it down below your swingplane and effectively be more flat coming through. if you are outside in with your swingpath and divots then follow this advice otherwise don't listen to the advice. ;)

Thanks for the advice, but just to clarify, by "outside in with my swingpath and divots" do you mean an outside inside swing which would give me my slice? If so, then I guess I should follow the advice given that I have a fade/slice :drinks:

First lets get our terms straight. In a good golf swing the right wrist (for a right hander) goes from a straight position at address to a bent back position at the top of the swing. This is the tray carrying position your instructor is talking about. The right wrist must then remain in a bent back position through the downswing and past impact. It is only when the right wrist is in the bent back position at impact that the left wrist can be flat or even slightly bowed in the Hogan style. If the right wrist returns to a flat position at impact the left wrist must cup and you will be forever doomed to weak scooped shots that fly not very far or straight. Learning to strike the ball with the right wrist in the bent back position is the key to a solid strike with the left wrist flat and the hands ahead of the ball.

Does that answer your question?

Steve

Thanks so much guys for both of your responces and help. And yes, steve, thats exactly what I was looking for. That helps me understand why she wants me to keep my right wrist cupped and i have noticed 'crisper' shots and gained distance, but i don't have the consistency down yet. So i guess yet again the coach was right. thanks again :man_in_love:

• 2 years later...

Have read about keeping the right wrist bent throughout the golf swing and tried it. It sometimes produces a fade or even a slice but not because I was going over the top. I have a neutral or weaker left hand grip and I might just be leaving the clubface a little open at impact. Your head must really stay behind the ball at impact and you must complete your follow through while straightening and extending your right arm and elbow through the impact zone, otherwise the clubhead will not close to produce a draw. Some golfers keep the elbow bent and close to the body to guard from hooking but eventually extends the right arm and elbow after ball impact. You can experiment and see what works best for you.

This bent backward right hand at the wrist is very powerful and easier to repeat because I use more of a body and shoulder control to swing my arms. It seems difficult to do at first or even imagine because you are thinking how the heck can I get the clubface to the ball when it is way behind my hands. This is what they call "lag" or keeping the angle between the shaft and the right forearm constant throughout the impact zone. How can you do that if you do not keep your right hand bent backward at the wrist? You just have to experiment and find the proper combination of grip and body movements so that the club face is square at impact while you keep the right wrist bent backward throughout the golf swing. This will result in a flat or slightly bowed left wrist at ball impact and the feeling and ball flight is quite professional.

There are many ways to swing the golf club and this one really works for me. So listen to your instructor, it seems she knows what she is talking about.

First of all, the article you references from Alicia MacMaster was written for a LEFT HANDER. I believe all of her articles are. So flip it around. You do want a night hinge in the back of your right hand (for a right hander) when coming into impact. It will keep you from flipping and give you a nice leveraged blow. You want a flat left wrist at impact but don't get carried away with getting flat at the top, you may find yourself closed.

Anybody ?

I experienced that too. Slicefixer mentioned this just once I believe, but I am sure he said that you should "connect" the upper right arm to your upper right chest in the beginning of the downswing (that is why you have to hinge your right wrist more and your right elbow must be dropped to the right hip), and--he said that the upper left arm should be "connected" to the left upper chest as you approach impact. If you do not "connect" the left upper arm with the left upper chest, ball will go right because the clubface is open due to maintaining the right wrist hinge and right elbow bend. Slicefixer advised to "connect" upper left arm and chest because this will close the clubface in time for impact. How do you "connect" then? Sevam1 in the moe norman/hogan thread said you rotate the left forearm; Tom Bertrand in his book says you should rotate the left elbow, which automatically rotates the hands and thus the clubface. I find Tom B.'s method more consistent. There is another way to close the clubface, that is to push with the right hand, but this is way too inconsistent. Try the Tom B. method. It works. (Edit--btw, simultaneously with the turning of the elbow, thus the hand, and thus the clubface, you should also turn your shoulders and the butt of the club left and low. Together, these will straighten your shots. Have fun!)

Cheers.

If you are young, at least under 30 years old, and have time to practice and physically fit for golf, then go ahead and try to swing like a golf professional. The professionals started very young and have plenty of coaching too, so what you see they do with their golf swings are very difficult physically for a recreational golfer.

If you are over 30 years old, it is best to make your golf swing as natural for yourself as possible. Meaning you do not have to force yourself physically in order to hit your 8 iron 150 yards. Just use more club, maybe a 6 iron. What the heck, golf is not our livelihood, so quit trying to make your golf swing perfect or professional like. Relax and enjoy playing golf more.

Another thing, we do not play the same tees and golf courses that the professionals do, so 220 to 250 yard drives will work for us. Improve your short game and putting instead.

So what if you shoot 100 if your handicap is 28, makes everything even, right?