Mizuno MX-900 vs Titleist 775

RBRBRB

I was hoping to get some input on a new set of irons. I am leaning heavily towards Mizuno MX-900s. I play to an 8 right now and have never been below a 5. Driver SS is about 96-97 and I carry a 7 iron (34*) 150. Most salesman in stores have been pushing me towards "players clubs" based on my index. I can curve any iron(although not always in the direction I want) but generally find the only time I need to "work" the ball is when I inadvertently "worked" it behind a tree with the previous shot. The ideal set for me, is as much forgiveness as possible without getting into a lot of offset or a superwide sole in the short irons. I can't picture chipping with a Slingshot OSS. I like a high ball flight on the longer irons as I find it much easier to lower rather than raise my ball flight. I liked the Callaway Fusion (original thinner sole) just as well as the MX-900 and would love to use their fitting center just up the road from me in San Diego. Unfortunately, they refuse to bend lofts and will void my warranty if I bend them, so all Callaways are out. Somehow I suspect that Annika and Phil get lofts bent if they wish, but I am not going to fight them. I want to be able to get smaller gaps in the short irons and will probably need to adjust some lofts. I would actually prefer stainless clubs just because they are indestructable and the lofts stay bent. However, performance is more important and I really like the way the MX-900s transition from rather traditional short irons into very forgiving longer irons.

The other option for me is the Titleist 775CB I did not even want to hit this as I did not like the looks at all. The other day I happened to pick one up and was very surprised at how they performed. They seemed almost as forgiving as the MX-900 with a very slightly lower ball flight and only a little less soft feel. I like the fact that they are stainless (indestructible) but feel way better than Ping for example. I don’t like the stronger lofts (PW-45*) as it makes gapping the wedges more difficult. I am also not keen on the idea that the blade length on the short irons get very noticeably short by the time you get to PW. I realize a lot of people would consider that a plus but I feel it just gives you a slightly smaller margin for error.

Here are the other clubs I have tried and my impressions.

TM R7XD 6 iron is really a 5 iron in both loft and length only so-so feel and tended to go left-PW is 44* and too clunky.

TM R7CGB same problems as XD, tinny feel and a lot of $$.

Ping G5 nice high ball flight, very forgiving, feel took some getting used to and nearly everything went left.

Ping I5 even though the offset is less these still seemed to go left and had lower ball flight and less forgiveness. Maybe it is the Ping CS shaft?

Cleveland CG4(not tour) second place behind MX-900 and Fusions. Feel was not as soft as I expected.

Maybe slightly less forgiving and demo club was already rusting.

Cobra 3100 tried this awhile back and it was a surpisingly nice club but short irons are a little clunky.

Has anyone played both the 775s and MX-900s and could offer a comparison? Am I missing any other good choices? Does anyone have any horror stories about MX-900s? Salesman at one shop told me he had sold three sets and all three were returned because they did not like them. I would guess these were guys looking for a more blade like club. MX-23's are less money and nice but I actually like both short and long irons better in the MX-900. I am considering using the Mizuno wedges also. If I go with the MX-900s I will have them bent 1* weak (PW to 47*) and go 51-55-59 on wedges.

Thanks in advance for your input.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link. It looks like those that are playing 775s are happy with them.

Has anyone out there played both the 775s and the MX-900s?

I play the 775s and am between a 0-3. They are truly idiot sticks. I've never had so much fun with a set of irons, honest.

they were way too upright for me from the factory so i'm getting them bent flatter and have 2 rounds under my belt with them and once they come back with some stiffer shafts and flatter lies i'll give a full on review.

You won't be disappointed. However i'd wait to find a set cheap off ebay like i did.

Steer clear of the MX-900s. I owned them and NEVER put them into play. I can't believe I'm saying this, but go with the 775s.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I'm a 12 index. I have the graphite shafted 775s and love them. However, you should be aware that though the 775s are forged stainless, they ding up about the same as other forged clubs. Also, FWIW, I tried the MX900s before buying the 775s and found them quite clunky. I owned MX23s before the 775s, so I was quite accustomed to the Mizuno feel.

Nighthawk,

I am guessing that you found the 7 iron on up to be clunky on the MX-900s? They do have a significantly wider sole than the 755s. In fact I was surprised that the 755s had such a high ball flight with such a narrow sole. I have demoed the MX-900s 3-4 times and having the wider soles on the longer irons has not bothered me (that will probably happen AFTER I buy them).

I am beginning to consider holding off for two reasons. First there are so many new irons coming out in September and I think the trend will be towards sets that vary in design from short to long irons. Secondly I had my career low round of 73 with the old irons recently. Maybe my old irons are trying to not get dumped.

Tbowles411, why didn't you put the 900s in play?

They just felt clunky to me. I never fell in love with them. I hit them and just thought that Mizuno made better clubs than this. Heck, if you are looking for a game improvement set from Mizzy, get the MX-17, or the 23s. Softer and better IMO. I just was not happy with them. The only iron purchase I ever regretted. There is just better clubs out there for the money Mizzy is charging for them.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

RBRBRB, yes it was the short irons I mainly disliked of the MX-900s. I grew up playing forged blades in the '70s and can't get used to some of the wide soles sold today. Regarding long irons, I've abandoned them. The longest club in the 775 set is a 4-iron and I don't even carry it. I use a TM Rescue Dual 19 degree as a 3 and 4 iron replacement. It's much easier to hit and more accurate for me.

Nighthawk,

Actually by "7 iron on down" I meant 3-7 iron. I find the soles on 3-7 iron a little a little wider than I am used to(clunky), but with clubs longer than 7 or 8 the wide sole is just mental with me at least. Mine main concern with a wide sole is for chipping and I don't use anything above 8 iron for that. Coming from blades I can see that you would think the 8,9, PW have wide soles but compared to most clubs these days they are not that wide. I did not really compare the sole width on the short irons to the MX-23s that you played previously but I did notice that the MX-900s had the same or slightly less offset.

I am surpised to hear that the 775s ding up like carbon steel forgings, although I think the stainless used is softer than in most SS irons. I would imagine that with graphite shafts the 775s have a little higher ball flight and are slightly softer feeling? I had not even considered graphite, but maybe I will demo just for kicks. I too, do not play long irons I will be getting 5-PW only as I carry 22* TM hybrid and a 5 wood. The demo 6 iron in the Mx-900 led me to believe that I might be able to hit their 4 iron high and soft enough, but I can always add it later if I hit the 5 very well. Another plus for me is the 46* PW in the MX-900s. With a 45* or sometimes even 44*(with Taylormade) PW it makes my wedge setup tough. I want only 4* gaps in my short irons (which works out to about 12 yards for me). If I start with 45 then go 49,53,57 I would have to make the 57* my bunker wedge and then have more bounce than I would like for lob shots.

Like I said I am hesitating as so many new clubs have been announced for release in the next few months( including a replacement for the MX-23)

Thanks for your input, I appreciate it.

I have read from several people that the specs, including shaft flex, were way off when shipped from Titleist. I also found it interesting that when I called their headquarters, just up the road from me in Carlsbad CA, they said that they don't do any fitting for the "public". I guess Ping, Taylormade and Callaway etc. think a little more of the "public".

I have recently gone through the same process as you've described. I wound up with a split set of Mizuno's; specifically the MX-900 3-6 and Mizuno MP 60 7-9 with Tour Concept S1 shafts. I have been really happy with this set - I was fitted by Steve at For Golfer's Only in Temecula via their "ballastic fit process". It would be up the road from San Diego, and in my opinion, well worth the effort.

Nighthawk,

I appreciate the suggestion but I am looking for a higher ball flight and more game improvement than the TM Forged CB. I suppose because I have never played blades, most game improvement visuals don't bother me, with the exception of a pronounced offsette in short irons.

Obobgolf,

I will keep that fitter in mind. I was planning to go to Brad Hardin at Hodges. Have you ever heard of Savile Row Golf (John Tudor)? He is in Rancho Bernardo and has a tremendous reputation. I talked to him on the phone and he is very impressive. His fee for a fitting while a little high would have been worth the experience. Unfortunately, because he actually assembles the clubs himself (even OEMs) the clubs them selves are more than 50% higher. I am not very familiar with those Tour Concepts shafts. From what little I gathered they are similar to Flighted Rifles but are heavy and have three profiles? What type of natural ball flight do you have and how does that shaft effect it? I am looking for high ball flight in the 7 iron on up. I probably will go with the Dynalite Gold SL in Stiff, but I may consider Flighted shafts. I think I heard that True Temper is going to make some of the Rifle products?