2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Advice for new classic blade collector

Just joined site few days ago, but had followed discussions for few weeks now .

I'm starting to build a collection of vintage blade and/or muscle backs for my own personal enjoyment ( as much as budget and wife will let me)

Starting off with sticks either myself or dad have played with over the years and already own

1) haig ultras ' 69 385s. (dad used when in college and I learned to play with as a kid)

2) macregor color crom (remakes from 80s I believe)

3) macgregor v-foil mb ( used these for last 7-8 hrs, until replaced with current titleists)

Picked up following on eBay recently or golf shows

1) Mac m75t ( first set purchases for my new obsession)

Thick top line I actually don't mind, overall kinda fun but don't think they are anything special from a collection standpoint, but I

really don't care as long as I enjoy them.

2) staff fg17

3) dynapowers (not sure of yr yet). They have the "weight looking thing" on back behind the toe

4) set of Haigs coming soon from eBay

Obviously I'm already addicted. While personal collection should have no "rules" on what is good or not as that is ultimately a preference, anybody have advice/thoughts on collections that are just starting. I'm partial to Haigs and macgregor, would like to get some older VIPs ot mt. What are the better clubs in the old macrgregor and Wilson dynapowers lines, there seems to be dozens of variations even within a given year (especially macs)

Thanks

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Those Wilsons are from '73 and was the set I learned this game with. :welcomeani:

My favorites (I keep an eye out for) are;
Wilson - '69 Bulletback, '71 Buttonback and the '88 Goose-neck (w/ goose stamp).
MacGregor - '67 VIP by Nicklaus and the 985 Tourney Customs from the early 70's on the list too.

That said, the Golden Ram Tour Grind circa 1980 are my all time favorite blade and put in play come every season.

Thx for info, would agree on bullet backs , I almost pulled trigger on a set few days ago. Turf grinders also seem pretty cool in that line. I think there is a set of VIP by Nicklaus on eBay right now. No idea of the year, was looking at them and considering a bid but probably gotta wait a bit before buying anything more than $55 ish price range as wouldn't expect to find a set of those that cheap unless condition is bad

[size="4"]dkbunk - Whats collectable and not is purely personal preference. There are "reference books" some people(me) use as a basis of collecting & rebuilding but having said that personal preference still is the dominate factor. I play 1969 Achushnet "Finalist" irons but have a rebuilt set of 1963 Wilson Staff Turfriders downstairs in the workshop. The "Turfriders" were used by alot of PGA & LPGA players. Some people might think I should be playing the Wilsons and not the Achushnets.[color="#2e8b57"] If you saw me play golf, you'd might think I should be using a "lacrosse stick" !*? [/color]It's all personal preference in my opinion.
Max[/size]

"One Day At a Time"

[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1299436215' post='3030580']
[size="4"]dkbunk - Whats collectable and not is purely personal preference. There are "reference books" some people(me) use as a basis of collecting & rebuilding but having said that personal preference still is the dominate factor. I play 1969 Achushnet "Finalist" irons but have a rebuilt set of 1963 Wilson Staff Turfriders downstairs in the workshop. The "Turfriders" were used by alot of PGA & LPGA players. Some people might think I should be playing the Wilsons and not the Achushnets.[color="#2e8b57"] If you saw me play golf, you'd might think I should be using a "lacrosse stick" !*? [/color]It's all personal preference in my opinion.
Max[/size]
[/quote]

All true - rider, ya As soon as I posted I thought I messed that reference up. Just got a malt by book on clubs and price guide. Wasn't quite what I was hoping for...good reference on major sets and trade in values ( from whenever book was published ), anything out there from a bok standpoint that gives a good history on clubs of major manufacturers?
Thx

"macgregor v-foil mb ( used these for last 7-8 [b]hrs[/b], until replaced with current titleists)"

Out of the box, into the bag, and out of the bag all in one day? Sounds like a golfwrx veteran to me!

If you're into old haigs, I'm rather partial to the Ultradyne irons. Bright, screaming chrome muscle-backs with more curves on them than Kim Kardashian. I've had all kinds of people ask about them--everyone from senior citizens to 12-year-olds comments on them. The Ultradyne II irons were both cast and not as pretty.

My favorite dynapower irons in terms of looks are the '69 series--the ones with the little notch cut in the back toward the heel. Often referred to as "bullet-backs" I only have the 1-iron from this series, but I absolutely nail it. Well, I nail it on the range--haven't had the guts to put it in play yet. The upcoming foul weather might just give me the excuse I need, though. The wedges from the late '50s dynapowers are supposed to be magic--word on the street is that Ben Crenshaw STILL games a '58 dyna PW.

I strongly prefer Wilson and Hagen irons to MacGregor irons of the same vintage. The Wilson hosel is about as long as on modern irons and drilled through to the ground, which helps put the sweet spot in the right place and makes the clubs SO much more playable than the Macs. Having grown up with modern clubs, the long MacGregor hosels just don't look "right" to me, either. On the other hand, who am I to argue with the club choices of Jack Nicklaus and Johnny Miller?

When you get the chance, you simply have get your hands on a set of Hogan blades. Every bit as playable as the old Wilsons, but the Hogan forged feel is simply indescribable.

Someone else on this forum linked me to this interesting document: http://advancedballstriking.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=202&t=1272 . It has pictures and descriptions of many MacGregor, Wilson, and Spalding models, including an identification guide for the Dynapower irons. Should help you form your wish list.

There are several DK.
The Clubmaker's Art: Antique Golf Clubs & Their History - by Jeff Ellis
Encyclopedia of Golf Collectibles - by John M Olman and Morton W Olman
Olmans' Guide to Golf Antiques - by John M Olman and Morton W Olman
Golf in the Making - by Ian T Henderson and David I Stirk, Sean Arnold
Golf: the Great Club Makers - by David I Stirk, H.F.&G.
Collecting Old Golfing Clubs - by Alick A Watt, A.A.Watt & Son, Alton, Hants

Hope that helps :)

ProfessorDoom-/ golf bum ...... Thanks for reference material, sure bet I'll be online soon checking into more details.

Regarding hogans, I don't think I've ever even swung a hogan iron. Sounds strange but believe it to be true. My dad actually found a set of 50s or 60s ( according to local pro at his course) from a thrift shop fo something like 2 bucks a club many years ago. There looking for something else and just stumbled upon them. Emailed last night for a description and said "nothing on sole except for club number, nothing on back except for logo". Did hogan make "crap" back then (ie stuff you'd find at kmart in today's world and they just put his name on it or are these maybe something interesting? If there is no " name" like apex or director or the other various ones I've been reading about then perhaps they are something most collectors would consider "sub par". Wish I had picture, but don't . He's gonna bring them over next time they visit grand kids.

[quote name='dkbunk' timestamp='1299452329' post='3031199']
ProfessorDoom-/ golf bum ...... Thanks for reference material, sure bet I'll be online soon checking into more details.

Regarding hogans, I don't think I've ever even swung a hogan iron. Sounds strange but believe it to be true. My dad actually found a set of 50s or 60s ( according to local pro at his course) from a thrift shop fo something like 2 bucks a club many years ago. There looking for something else and just stumbled upon them. Emailed last night for a description and said "nothing on sole except for club number, nothing on back except for logo". Did hogan make "crap" back then (ie stuff you'd find at kmart in today's world and they just put his name on it or are these maybe something interesting? If there is no " name" like apex or director or the other various ones I've been reading about then perhaps they are something most collectors would consider "sub par". Wish I had picture, but don't . He's gonna bring them over next time they visit grand kids.
[/quote]

No model name anywhere? Might be the 58/59 models, also known as the "sunburst," "starburst," or "saber."

[media]http://www.ironfinder.com/images/Lg/5_A.jpg[/media]

Could also be 60s Percussion Centers.

[media]http://www.ironfinder.com/images/Lg/13_A.jpg[/media]

To my knowledge, Hogan never made store-line models (i.e. "crap") like Spalding, Wilson, MacGregor, etc. did. Perhaps that's part of the mystique. He did do contract manufacturing abroad with Slazenger, so it's possible that you have Canadian market clubs that found their way across the border.

As an oldtime collector, I can tell you that it is easy to get hung up on "the clubs". It used to be 80+% of us collected MacGregor, maybe 15% Wilson Staff, and 5# Spaulding Top Flite Stainless. Today, Hogans have become very popular, and rightly so. They are great clubs. But we missed a lot of good, collectable AND playable stuff, a lot of which is still out there. Just look for irons that look good to you when you address the ball.That being said, Old Macs and Staffs are still super. If you get into the MacGregors, you will find a bunch of different Tourney blades with different pro's signatures on them. Their recording # system makes them easy to sort out and fun to collect. Some overlooked, but great irons are:
Golf Craft Continentals. Terrific Squared-toe muscle back irons. Accushnet bought Golf Craft and for the 1st 2 years, The Titleists were actually the Continental clubs.(woods and irons are both high quality stuff)
Burke Punchirons, PowerBilt Citation and Scotch Blades are all great irons as well.
Tread carefully, my friend. You are getting into a very addictive hobby. good luck and happy hunting.
Bob

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1299511639' post='3032990']
As an oldtime collector, I can tell you that it is easy to get hung up on "the clubs". It used to be 80+% of us collected MacGregor, maybe 15% Wilson Staff, and 5# Spaulding Top Flite Stainless. Today, Hogans have become very popular, and rightly so. They are great clubs. But we missed a lot of good, collectable AND playable stuff, a lot of which is still out there. Just look for irons that look good to you when you address the ball.That being said, Old Macs and Staffs are still super. If you get into the MacGregors, you will find a bunch of different Tourney blades with different pro's signatures on them. Their recording # system makes them easy to sort out and fun to collect. Some overlooked, but great irons are:
Golf Craft Continentals. Terrific Squared-toe muscle back irons. Accushnet bought Golf Craft and for the 1st 2 years, The Titleists were actually the Continental clubs.(woods and irons are both high quality stuff)
Burke Punchirons, PowerBilt Citation and Scotch Blades are all great irons as well.
Tread carefully, my friend. You are getting into a very addictive hobby. good luck and happy hunting.
Bob
[/quote]
Bob got me thinking about a set of Golfcraft Coronado I had buried. I pulled them out and took pictures, very attractive clubs, top of the line YO!!

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1299564447' post='3035968']
Bob
[/quote]
Bob got me thinking about a set of Golfcraft Coronado I had buried. I pulled them out and took pictures, very attractive clubs, top of the line YO!!
[/quote]
Tim,
Golfcraft made some dynamite stuff right up to the time Titleist bought them. They got on board with Fibreglas Shafts in the mid 1960's. They had a golf ball-manufacturing facility and even began making their balls with fibreglas cores. All that helped precipitaate their demise. (In high school, my golf coach's brother was on Golfcraft's pro staff. So we got issued Golfcraft balls to play. We used to trade them 3 for one for Titleists or Maxfli).They were kind of like hitting marshmallows.but regardless, the clubs were good quality

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1299605709' post='3036961']
[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1299564447' post='3035968']
Bob
[/quote]
[/quote]
Tim,
Golfcraft made some dynamite stuff right up to the time Titleist bought them. They got on board with Fibreglas Shafts in the mid 1960's. They had a golf ball-manufacturing facility and even began making their balls with fibreglas cores. All that helped precipitaate their demise. (In high school, my golf coach's brother was on Golfcraft's pro staff. So we got issued Golfcraft balls to play. We used to trade them 3 for one for Titleists or Maxfli).They were kind of like hitting marshmallows.but regardless, the clubs were good quality
[/quote]
Bob
us old farts remember stuff ;like that!! I remember the balls having slices in them like an orange opened up too. People forget what the kind of balls pros played with back in the day. I also remember reading where Sam Snead, ever the miser, played an entire tournament, 72 holes with one ball, Thats some sweet swinging!

[size="4"][center][font="Comic Sans MS"][size="4"]Up here in Canada, we had a very good golfer from the 40's and 50's named [url="http://www.rcga.org/hall_of_famer.aspx?id=32&x=PRgE5ZkK1ko%3D"]Stan Leonard[/url]. Mr. Leonard was featured on a few Shells Wonderful World of Golf matches, placed 7th in the 1954 Masters and won 3 or 4 times on the Mens Tour. He played Golfcraft irons and woods and I have a couple of sets of Stan Leonard "Golfcraft" woods and a original & full set of Stan Leonard "Fulcrum Balanced" irons. The persimmon woods always appeared to be well built and the irons look solid.
Max[/size][/center][/size][/font]

"One Day At a Time"

Maxwell,

Is it a trick of the camera, or are those ferrules somewhat translucent? They look like some kind of marbled cellulose, like you'd find on vintage fountain pens, but that might just be the lighting and flash. The streamline design of those blades is just lovely too. Very cool. Ever think about buffing them to a nice mirror finish? Any idea of the approximate date?

While on the topic of cellulose and Golfcraft, Somewhere in my basement, I have a Golfcraft Leo Diegel persimmon head with what appears to be a cellulose insert--in well-lit conditions, you can tell that it is somewhat translucent. The previous owner must have been pretty good, too--he ground the face down to a Greg Norman-worthy loft and opened up the face a bit.. It was a thrift store "rescue." Unfortunately, the stain is almost completely washed out and the original shaft was very rusty, so restoring it might be a challenge.

[quote name='professor_doom' timestamp='1299706987' post='3041278']
Maxwell,

Is it a trick of the camera, or are those ferrules somewhat translucent? They look like some kind of marbled cellulose, like you'd find on vintage fountain pens, but that might just be the lighting and flash. The streamline design of those blades is just lovely too. Very cool. Ever think about buffing them to a nice mirror finish? Any idea of the approximate date?

While on the topic of cellulose and Golfcraft, Somewhere in my basement, I have a Golfcraft Leo Diegel persimmon head with what appears to be a cellulose insert--in well-lit conditions, you can tell that it is somewhat translucent. The previous owner must have been pretty good, too--he ground the face down to a Greg Norman-worthy loft and opened up the face a bit.. It was a thrift store "rescue." Unfortunately, the stain is almost completely washed out and the original shaft was very rusty, so restoring it might be a challenge.
[/quote]

Prof-doom
My camera work is "basic level". The only "trick" for me regarding camera operation is making sure I get the batteries in the correct position!?
The ferrules do appear to give the "opaque" appearance don't they. After a good look they are not. There are variations of a similiar colour that seem to give the impression that they are translucent. I have a couple of sets of early 50's Spalding Top Flight Syncho-Dyned irons which have the "Marble ferrules". Very similiar.
Yes - they would certainly look alot nicer with a buffing of which I have done about a half a dozen sets. Perhaps in the future.
Date? I wrote to the British Columbia Golf Museum some time ago and they were somewhat "reluctant" to do a quick search for that information. I do know that as a Royal Canadian Golf Association member I have access to a huge collection of cataloges, brochures and advertisements at our "Golf House" in Oakville,Ontario. I could probably find it there. My guess? early 60's.
Max

"One Day At a Time"

[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1299607486' post='3037041']
[size="4"][center][font="Comic Sans MS"][size="4"]Up here in Canada, we had a very good golfer from the 40's and 50's named [url="http://www.rcga.org/hall_of_famer.aspx?id=32&x=PRgE5ZkK1ko%3D"]Stan Leonard[/url]. Mr. Leonard was featured on a few Shells Wonderful World of Golf matches, placed 7th in the 1954 Masters and won 3 or 4 times on the Mens Tour. He played Golfcraft irons and woods and I have a couple of sets of Stan Leonard "Golfcraft" woods and a original & full set of Stan Leonard "Fulcrum Balanced" irons. The persimmon woods always appeared to be well built and the irons look solid.
Max[/size][/center][/size][/font]
[/quote]

The symbol next to the Stan Leonard signature is one that Sears used on their "Advisory Staff" line of clubs for years. The symbol on the sole of the 6 iron looks like an "SR" standing for "Sears Roebuck."

I think the Advisory Staff line disappeared sometime in the 1970s. I wonder who Sears enlisted to manufacture those clubs?

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

[size="4"][center][size="4"]Sears? Well you could be right! I'll have to check some day! I thought the icon on the bottom of the iron blade was that of a butterfly. The waterslide decal on the crown was an early "Nike swoosh" kinda like the back swing and the move towards the ball. I guess I should hold on to my day job at General Motors and not stray into "Marketing"!? [/size][/center]
Max[/size]

"One Day At a Time"

Too bad they don't still make the "marble ferrules." Given how many custom ferrules you see on golfwrx, I predict they would sell faster than wallet chains at a biker convention. I know I would snap them up. These days, you can't even find ferrules more than an inch long. Translucent would be even cooler, of course.

[quote name='Maxwell' timestamp='1299816451' post='3045533']
[size="4"][center][size="4"]Sears? Well you could be right! I'll have to check some day! I thought the icon on the bottom of the iron blade was that of a butterfly. The waterslide decal on the crown was an early "Nike swoosh" kinda like the back swing and the move towards the ball. I guess I should hold on to my day job at General Motors and not stray into "Marketing"!? [/size][/center]
Max[/size]
[/quote]

Max,
Unless Golfcraft had a different marketing program in Canada,those Stan Leonards are definitely not a store-line club. The woods, the shape of the irons, and the clubface are dead ringers for the Golfcraft Continentals from the late 60's up until Titleist bought the company in about 1971. I will try to post some pics this weekend. All Titleist did to get into production was stamp the Continental forgings as Titleist, use Dynamic shafts, Golf Pride Eagle grips, and shorter black ferrules and "Presto" they were in the golf club business.

[quote name='Ironmaster Oddities' timestamp='1299861501' post='3046453']
Max[/size]
[/quote]

Max,
Unless Golfcraft had a different marketing program in Canada,those Stan Leonards are definitely not a store-line club. The woods, the shape of the irons, and the clubface are dead ringers for the Golfcraft Continentals from the late 60's up until Titleist bought the company in about 1971. I will try to post some pics this weekend. All Titleist did to get into production was stamp the Continental forgings as Titleist, use Dynamic shafts, Golf Pride Eagle grips, and shorter black ferrules and "Presto" they were in the golf club business.
[/quote]

If you'll check the Sears catalogs on this site, you will see clubs with similar markings that were exclusive to Sears.

http://www.wishbookweb.com/

Not saying the Stan Leonards weren't made by Golfcraft for Sears, but I am 100 percent certain the markings I mentioned in my post are Sears trademarks.

When Wilson was in the store line forged club business, there were a lot of instances where the heads used for the store line stuff were the same shape and back grinds as the Staff or X-31 clubs of the time. True for Spalding products as well. I don't know what the differences were between the store line and the pro line (quality of the chrome plating? Weight tolerances?), but the shape of the irons was virtually identical on numerous occasions.

--Rory McIlroy 

Max[/size]
[/quote]

Max,
[/quote]

Here's some examples of Sears offerings.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rare-Sears-Stan-Leonard-Glass-Shaft-Sand-Wedge-/350348806655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51926a89ff

Wasn't Golfcraft famous for its Glass Shaft?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sears-Phil-Rodgers-7-Iron-Golf-Club-/250555915622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a564bdd66

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='professor_doom' timestamp='1299847718' post='3046030']
Too bad they don't still make the "marble ferrules." Given how many custom ferrules you see on golfwrx, I predict they would sell faster than wallet chains at a biker convention. I know I would snap them up. These days, you can't even find ferrules more than an inch long. Translucent would be even cooler, of course.
[/quote]
Agreed I'd get those in a second!

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1299876094' post='3047055']
Max[/size]
[/quote]

Max,
[/quote]

Here's some examples of Sears offerings.

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Rare-Sears-Stan-Leonard-Glass-Shaft-Sand-Wedge-/350348806655?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51926a89ff"]http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item51926a89ff[/url]

Wasn't Golfcraft famous for its Glass Shaft?

[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/Vintage-Sears-Phil-Rodgers-7-Iron-Golf-Club-/250555915622?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3a564bdd66"]http://cgi.ebay.com/...=item3a564bdd66[/url]
[/quote]

You just could be right. A trip to the RCGA "Golf House" in Oakville to see some Stan Leonard Golfcraft catalogues would provide more information in determining what they are - thanks Shallowface

"One Day At a Time"

[/quote]

You just could be right. A trip to the RCGA "Golf House" in Oakville to see some Stan Leonard Golfcraft catalogues would provide more information in determining what they are - thanks Shallowface
[/quote]

When I found that Ebay listing that had that Sears Stan Leonard wedge with a "glass shaft," that pretty much confirms for me that Golfcraft made those clubs.

Remember when Bill Rogers had that hot run on Tour in the early 80s? He used a Golfcraft mallet with a glass shaft.

I ran across another listing on the Internet of a 70s era set of unused Sears Advisory Staff left handed woods that were said to have belonged to Ted Williams. Remember back then Sears sold all kinds of sporting goods with Ted Williams' name on them? The listing on that box said they came from Fernquest Johnson, which was another California based clubmaker that disappeared sometime in the 70s I believe. Perhaps FJ took over the production of Sears' products from Golfcraft when Golfcraft was acquired by Acushnet.

Just because those irons you have may be "store line" doesn't mean they aren't great clubs or even the equivalent of Golfcraft's pro line offerings of the day. I'm not sure there were huge differences between good store line clubs and pro line clubs during the 60s and 70s. Store line stuff kind of went downhill in the 80s due to the introduction of the die cast zinc iron clubhead, the ones with the really thick hosels that tended to break. But I spend a lot of time nosing around thrift stores these days, and when I see a 60s or 70s vintage set of Wilson Sam Snead Blue Ridges, or a set of MacGregor irons with a pro signature on them, often with as many or more decorative stampings and ornate back grinds as any of the pro line clubs of the day, combined with the fact that they are still around and playable all these years later, leads me to conclude that the store line clubs of that era were pretty darn good stuff.

--Rory McIlroy