2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

shaft suggestion for 906?

wahoowa2002

need to replace the V2
I don't have access to a frequency machine, but I also notice that my v2 stiff is really difficult to get off the ground. I play the stock V2 stiff in my 905R and could not find a better fit. I'm considering changing out in my 906, but am looking for suggestions on what to switch to (preferably under $100). I just put a VS proto in my 585 so might try to find an 80 gram pull. Any other suggestions?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JHR,

I switched to the Pro 95 after reading your glowing comments. Love it in my 904F and have a 906F2 on order with same shaft.

I also have a 905R 8.5* that I want to like, but too much spin, launch and draw with its current shaft, a 757 Stiff. Would consider moving to 757 X-Stiff, but concerned that the 757 not as good for the 460cc heads as some of the new technology.

Have you tried the V2 or VS Proto 80 in your 905R? I'm heard nice things about these shafts, but concerned that they might increase launch and spin versus the 757.

Thoughts?

JHR,

I switched to the Pro 95 after reading your glowing comments. Love it in my 904F and have a 906F2 on order with same shaft.

I also have a 905R 8.5* that I want to like, but too much spin, launch and draw with its current shaft, a 757 Stiff. Would consider moving to 757 X-Stiff, but concerned that the 757 not as good for the 460cc heads as some of the new technology.

Have you tried the V2 or VS Proto 80 in your 905R? I'm heard nice things about these shafts, but concerned that they might increase launch and spin versus the 757.

Thoughts?

I am glad that you like it as much as i do, i hate recommending something that might not work. Funny you should ask about my 905R, i just received it today, it had been sent to Mr. Kwok to be reshafted with a V2 86 X, i have not hit it yet, but wanted to replace the Accra i had in it. I will try to let you know how it works.

its difficult to get off the ground because the shaft freqs to 277. its a pipe for a fairway wood shaft. the more i think about it the more i realize titleist f'd up. they should have just offered the 86 sinc it was already in production. how could you order a stiff shaft and end up with a tx.

Are you saying the V2 85 plays softer (in the 906f2) than the V2 75?

Titleist TSR4 9*

Titleist 917 f2 3w 16.5*

Callaway UW 21*

Mizuno MP4 4-P

Vokey SM9 50/56/60

L.A.B Direct Force 2.1

its difficult to get off the ground because the shaft freqs to 277. its a pipe for a fairway wood shaft. the more i think about it the more i realize titleist f'd up. they should have just offered the 86 sinc it was already in production. how could you order a stiff shaft and end up with a tx.

Are you saying the V2 85 plays softer (in the 906f2) than the V2 75?

The stock shaft in the 906 is a 90 gram version of the V2. It's specifically designed for a fairway wood, but the stiff shaft feels stiffer than all x flexes i've ever swung.

Thanks for all your help guys--I'm thinking of going with the VS proto, but I'm also going to try to find something with the pro 95 and see how that feels.

The stiff V2 fairway in the 906 titleist gave me came out to a Double X....no wonder no one can hit it.... titleist products are very consistent no matter what they do wrong or right so i would assume that almost all others are like that too.

goose

PXG 0811X 10* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0341X 15* w/ Tensei Blue 70TX<br />PXG 0317 19* w/ Tensei Blue 80X<br />PXG 0311T 4-W w/ Nippon Modus 130X<br />PXG 0311 50*,55*,60* w/ Modus 130X<br />Scotty Cameron Circle T Newport 2

The V2 85s (90 gram) is an absolute pipe. This was a terrible move by Titleist unfortunately. I play the 76 stiff in their 905R and it suites me well. To order the same flex in a stock V2 offering should mean it plays to the same flex regardless of weight. I can hit bombs with the driver. I can't even get the 21º 585H (V2 100 stiff) or the 906F2 15º off the ground!! XX flex on both "stiff" flexes." What a disaster. ;)

It really makes me wonder what sort of actual player testing (if any) they did with these shafts. :idhitit:

It's a player's brand, but that shouldn't mean you need a 130MPH SS to load their stock fairway and hybrid shafts. :stop:

My 906 came in today, but unfotunately they received a stiff instead of the reg flex V285 I ordered. Of course it frequencies to 272 so a definate no go for me. I'm thinking of just getting the stock reg flex if it frequencies okay and then have it reshafted later. At least I will be able to play it with the stock shaft. I just wonder now how stiff the reg V2 would be in the 906. Has anyone frequencied the reg V2 in one?

Bill3508

Crazy 450 Crazy LY01 6.9
3 Deep Proforce V2 75s
Buchi 05 DI Nippon 950HT 39.5"
Yonex Ezone Mb Nippon Super Peening Blue
Yururi Gekko 53,61:Romaro Ray SX 58
SeeMore mFGPcs 370g 32"

The v2 family of shafts are tip stiff and very low torque. If you compare the v2 76g driver shaft to the stock v2 85 fairway shaft Titleist is using in the 906, you can consider the v2 fairway shaft a tip-trimmed version of the v2 86g driver shaft. And, the v2 85g driver shaft has a stiffer tip and a half degree lower torque than the v2 76 driver shaft. So, yeah, the v2 85 fairway shaft tplays a little stiffer than the v2 76g driver shaft.

For those wondering about the 585 shaft, it's harder to compare. It's a v2 100 hybrid shaft. Unlike the v2 76g driver shaft, the v2 100 hybrid shaft is a taper-tip iron shaft versus a parallel tip wood shaft. The v2 100 hybrid shaft has a relatively softer tip than the v2 76g driver shaft. In fact, the v2 100 hybrid shaft is softer in the tip than the stock Aldila NV hybrid shaft.

Neither shaft freqs out as XX. Frequencying shafts with the grip on does not produce the proper reading, and changes in machine type and clamp length can change the readings too. All Titleist shafts are frequency checked before assembly to insure that they're in the right flex range.

The entire v2 line is a tip-stiff, low-torque shaft designed to kill spin and play stiff in the tip due to the bend profile and low torque. Both the V2 85 fairway and V2 100 hybrid shafts Titleist offers are heavier than the V2 76g driver shaft. In many cases a

heavier weight shaft plays stiffer for most players. Titleist tested the v2 85 and v2 100 pre-launch with tour pros, club pros, and serious golfers with good results. The bottom line is that Titleist did not design them to play significantly more stout than the V2 76g driver shaft.

Titleist believes strongly in fitting each individual, so for some people, the heavier weight and the lower torque in the v2 85 fairway wood might result in poorer launch conditions. Personally, I like a slightly lower launch, and I can get the ball in the air pretty well despite having a driver swing speed of only about 105-106. I have a fast tempo that helps bend the shaft, perhaps, and the extra weight helps me stay in sync.

Erik J. Barzeski | Erie, PA

GEARS • GCQuad MAX/FlightScope • SwingCatalyst/BodiTrak

I like the truth and facts. I don't deal in magic grits: 26. #FeelAintReal

"Golf is the only game in which a precise knowledge of the rules can earn one a reputation for bad sportsmanship." — Pat Campbell