• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='stealthrt91' timestamp='1308765288' post='3327370']
[quote name='stevepoz' timestamp='1308764533' post='3327335']
Haven't played it, but there is some info on it at golfclubatlas.com
[/quote]

Supposedly it's the "hardest course in America" to get on and unless your a CEO of like a fortune 500 company, you can't play there.
[/quote]

I had a friend who worked there for a couple summers and he offered to take a couple of my friends out to play. unfortunately I wasn't around to play but one of my other friends was able to. he said the place was amazing and in pristine condition. it makes sense because it never gets played. I know it used to be owned by AIG or Hank Greenberg and I think that Greenberg still owns the place and lives very close to the course. I live in Southeast, NY, the town where the course is located, and drive past it all the time and it can be seen from Richter Park on the back nine across the water and I have NEVER seen anyone going in or out of the driveway or playing from across the water. There are stories of people being chased off the grounds and hidden cameras on the roads that lead into the course. I also used to have a friend who lived literally right on the golf course. Unfortunately I had no idea about the place at this time and thought that the course on the other side of the chain-link fence was just any other golf course. Had I known better I would have hopped over the fence in a heartbeat to check the place out.

[url="http://www.nytimes.com/2009/08/17/nyregion/17golf.html"]http://www.nytimes.c...ion/17golf.html[/url]

[url="http://www.bnet.com/blog/financial-services/morefar-is-too-far-unless-youre-hank-greenberg/2372"]http://www.bnet.com/...-greenberg/2372[/url]

I remember reading another article too but for some reason can't seem to find it...

Awesome, yea I play Ritcher some times and live in Stamford, CT. I am just fascinated at the stories I am hearing about this place:

-AIG used to fly in clients and land them on the lake for golf
-They brought in Chinese workers to create the course so no one would know the layout or what was going on
-The bunkers were originally crushed granite
-There are crazy x-rated sculptures all over the course
-They leave the front unguarded because of their hidden security system

The list goes on and on. It's starting to make me want to literally drive up there and act stupid when I drive in just to check the place out.

There are bronze statues in the bunkers, I know that for a fact. As for X-Rated I wouldn't say that but I do believe some of them are of naked people/fairies/horse-people or some weird stuff like that "pleasuring" themselves. Also, there is no visible security and I believe the stories about it being built by Chinese workers because some of the architecture is in that style and the logo for the club is a few Chinese characters but I'm not sure what they mean.

[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1308782406' post='3328095']
[b]There arnt any pictures anywhere?[/b] So you all are saying its more exclusive than say CP or PV?
[/quote]

Just go to bing.com and use their map function. Unlike Google, Microsoft's aerial shots are provided by a company that uses planes, instead of satellite imagery. Really high level of detail, and multiple perspectives available.

This is actually a fun thing to do just to look at courses you fantasize about playing when you're bored.

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

[quote name='sgniwder99' timestamp='1308784342' post='3328170']
[b]There arnt any pictures anywhere?[/b] So you all are saying its more exclusive than say CP or PV?
[/quote]

Just go to bing.com and use their map function. Unlike Google, Microsoft's aerial shots are provided by a company that uses planes, instead of satellite imagery. Really high level of detail, and multiple perspectives available.

This is actually a fun thing to do just to look at courses you fantasize about playing when you're bored.
[/quote]

:good: Haha I just did, you can actually see some of the sculptures in the sand traps

[quote name='stealthrt91' timestamp='1308832803' post='3329342']
[/quote]

[/quote]

:good: Haha I just did, you can actually see some of the sculptures in the sand traps
[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty impressive imagery. I also really like looking up Augusta, because you can see all of the grandstands and scoreboards and everything.

Nike VR Limited 9.5 (A'hina S)
TEE CB4 Tour 15 (Whiteboard S)
Titleist 910H 17 (A'hina S)
Adams CMB 4-GW (C-Taper S)
Adams Puglielli Black 52(51), 54(55) & 60(59)
Odyssey Black Series #5

I have actually played there several times. There are no individual memberships, just corporate members. I am the Treasurer for a large company and many of the big banks that I deal with have memberships there, thus I get periodic invitations. I live about 20 minutes from More-Far, so it is easy for me to get there.

When you drive in, it looks more like a fishing camp than a country club. Just a very small pro shop and very basic locker room and no real practice facility. They only let about 1 or 2 foursomes per hour tee off. You never see anyone else on the course when you are playing.

There are bronze sculptures in the bunkers, but they are very tasteful and not "x-rated".

They have a nice dining room with a big buffet lunch that is mandatory with every round. Plus, you need not wait until you finish up 9 holes to stop. If you want to eat after the 5th hole, no problem. Since there is almost no-one else on the course, you can start right back up on the 6th hole when you finish lunch.

As for the course, it was originally a 9 hole course with the back nine added much later. Back nine is much nicer than the front in my opinion. Course is nice, but nothing really special in my opinion. It is more about the cache of actually getting to play there that is appealing.

Finally, as for how they got the name for the club, the story goes that they had a Chinese driver who brought golfers up from New York City to play. Since it is a long drive, the passengers would always ask the driver, "how much longer to the course". In broken English, he would respond ..."golf course "more-far" away".... thus the name "More-Far".

Very cool logo of Chinese letters. I got a hat there. You can actually drive in and go to the pro-shop. It is just a few nice older guys that work there. I drove up on my own a few weeks after I had played there once. I wore my More-Far hat and told them I had played there a few times and wanted to buy a shirt. That was fine with him. He was happy to sell me one.

[quote name='whiteda6' timestamp='1308833963' post='3329380']
I have actually played there several times. There are no individual memberships, just corporate members. I am the Treasurer for a large company and many of the big banks that I deal with have memberships there, thus I get periodic invitations. I live about 20 minutes from More-Far, so it is easy for me to get there.

When you drive in, it looks more like a fishing camp than a country club. Just a very small pro shop and very basic locker room and no real practice facility. They only let about 1 or 2 foursomes per hour tee off. You never see anyone else on the course when you are playing.

There are bronze sculptures in the bunkers, but they are very tasteful and not "x-rated".

They have a nice dining room with a big buffet lunch that is mandatory with every round. Plus, you need not wait until you finish up 9 holes to stop. If you want to eat after the 5th hole, no problem. Since there is almost no-one else on the course, you can start right back up on the 6th hole when you finish lunch.

As for the course, it was originally a 9 hole course with the back nine added much later. Back nine is much nicer than the front in my opinion. Course is nice, but nothing really special in my opinion. It is more about the cache of actually getting to play there that is appealing.

Finally, as for how they got the name for the club, the story goes that they had a Chinese driver who brought golfers up from New York City to play. Since it is a long drive, the passengers would always ask the driver, "how much longer to the course". In broken English, he would respond ..."golf course "more-far" away".... thus the name "More-Far".

Very cool logo of Chinese letters. I got a hat there. You can actually drive in and go to the pro-shop. It is just a few nice older guys that work there. I drove up on my own a few weeks after I had played there once. I wore my More-Far hat and told them I had played there a few times and wanted to buy a shirt. That was fine with him. He was happy to sell me one.
[/quote]

That's awesome, yea I just found out a good amount of people at the PE I work at have played there randomly on invites. One of them even wears a Morefar polo sometimes. Now I just want to play there haha

I have a few friends that have played there and one that worked on the grounds crew for a season. Haven't played it myself nor been on the grounds but hope to one of these days seeing as it's not far at all and the first-hand accounts are enticing.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1308840401' post='3329708']
[quote name='stealthrt91' timestamp='1308840289' post='3329706']
[quote name='jbrunone' timestamp='1308839963' post='3329680']
so the course is average, just the hardest to get onto?
[/quote]

Guess so :secret:
[/quote]

Interesting and statues in the bunkers? hahah there has to be a story
[/quote]

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=Morefar&m=text

WOW is all I have to say

[/quote]

The course designer that did the back 9 at More-Far also was the designer for the nearby public course Richter Park and a private course Salem Golf Club in nearby North Salem, NY. Both Richter and Salem are better courses by far than More-Far.

[quote name='whiteda6' timestamp='1308841654' post='3329777']
[/quote]

The course designer that did the back 9 at More-Far also was the designer for the nearby public course Richter Park and a private course Salem Golf Club in nearby North Salem, NY. Both Richter and Salem are better courses by far than More-Far.
[/quote]

Yea I've played Ritcher a hand full of times. Definitely one of the best publics i've ever played

[quote name='sgniwder99' timestamp='1308833492' post='3329362']
[quote name='stealthrt91' timestamp='1308832803' post='3329342']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Yeah, it's pretty impressive imagery. I also really like looking up Augusta, because you can see all of the grandstands and scoreboards and everything.
[/quote]

Great, now I'm hooked on this. Good stuff!

• 2 weeks later...

I talked to my friend who used to work there and he confirmed (what does he know) the Greenberg still owns the place. He also told me that some players would actually be flown in by both helicopter and seaplane.

Keep in mind I take everything he says with a grain of salt. He has been known to exaggerate and make himself look like a fool on occasion.

[quote name='Sean97' timestamp='1309568807' post='3357772']
I talked to my friend who used to work there and he confirmed (what does he know) the Greenberg still owns the place. He also told me that some players would actually be flown in by both helicopter and seaplane.

Keep in mind I take everything he says with a grain of salt. He has been known to exaggerate and make himself look like a fool on occasion.
[/quote]

My friend who worked there also told me about how players are flown in via helicopter and land in one of the fairways. Supposedly Greenberg is so intent on NOT seeing a single person when he gets there that the entire staff needs to "disappear" when his helicopter is landing.

It is almost impossible to remember how tragic a place the world is when one is playing golf. -Robert Wilson Lynd

[quote name='dj80d' timestamp='1309704337' post='3361143']
There arnt any pictures anywhere? So you all are saying its more exclusive than say CP or PV?
[/quote]

what is cp and pv
[/quote]

I assume PV is Pine Valley - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Valley_Golf_Club

Don't know what CP refers to though.

[quote name='drpino' timestamp='1309704565' post='3361148']
[quote name='dj80d' timestamp='1309704337' post='3361143']
There arnt any pictures anywhere? So you all are saying its more exclusive than say CP or PV?
[/quote]

what is cp and pv
[/quote]

I assume PV is Pine Valley - [url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pine_Valley_Golf_Club"]http://en.wikipedia....alley_Golf_Club[/url]

Don't know what CP refers to though.
[/quote]

Yea Pine Valley and Cypress have actual members though. Morefar is strictly corporate membership - which is ridongculous :man_in_love: