Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am using 3 hybrids form TM, the rescue dual

the 5 Hybrid (25*) which really replaces a 4 iron

the 4 Hybrid (22*) which really replaces a 3 iron

the 3 Hybrid (19*) which really reaplces a 2iron

then I use my 5 iron

This is a good combination...

What is the distance you can get with each of them? What loft is your 5 iron?

Thanks

See my sig. My 3rd hybrid (1h, 16) is working w/ 3W in fact.

3W(13) is for backup driver, and anytime if I want long distance. It got penetrating fly unless I swing very very hard.

1h(16) is shorter than 3W, but got precision (comparatively) and I can easily hit balls very high by it on the fairway.

My 5i is still there. I can hit it. It's not that hard.

And the price I paid is only 3 wedges PW(46), GW(52), LW(60).

I was using three, a 17*, 20* and 23*, with the 23 replacing the 5 iron.

However, I've since dropped the 23 and gone back to my 5 iron. There were two issues. The first was ballooning into the winds that often affect my course.

The second was that without my five iron I didn't have a club I could reliably punch out from under trees with a low raking hook. I kept trying this shot with a hybrid and hitting it too well and thus too high, and hence would hit the bottom branches too much.

With a flushed strike and no wind I hit the 17* about 225 total, the 20 about 205, and the 23 about 190. I hit my 5 iron, which is 26*, about 190 as well, but much lower and with more roll.

Those distances may seem a bit odd, but I use Nike Slingshot hybrids. They are dead easy to hit, but for some reason are noticeably shorter than some other hybrids I have tried, and even than the Nike CPRs which preceded them.

I don't know whether they have weaker lofts than advertised, or are a bit dead, but like an iron I'm not after maximum distance but rather maximum reliability.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

I am using 3. Basically took the 3-5 irons out of the bag.

My determination was at what point did I not see a significant improvement from one iron to the next in terms of distance and overall consistency.

For me it was the 5 iron. After much testing I determined that I could hit a very well struck 6 iron within 5 yards of a well struck 5 iron. Consistency with the 6 iron was much much better... so I took the 5 iron out.

I now play a 25, 21 and 16 degree hybrid. Very confident with all 3 of those and have imporved my overall game tremendously.

Only bad side to this combo is that the gap between my normal 6 iron distance and my 25* is about 20-25 yards. Fortunately, I have learned to deal with it either by putting a little extra umph on the 6, or choking down on the 25*, so I have been able to close that gap a bit. Worst case, most greens are longer than 25 yards where I play so at those distances anywhere on the green is good in my book.

then I use my 5 iron

Thanks

I am not a long hitter but I get

the 5 Hybrid (25*) which really replaces a 4 iron - 175 to 180yds

the 4 Hybrid (22*) which really replaces a 3 iron - 185 to 190 yds

the 3 Hybrid (19*) which really reaplces a 2iron - 195 to 200yds

then I use my 5 iron (26*) - 165 to 170 yds.

This set up has given me 3 advatnages over a more traditional woods/long iron setup.

1. I have the hybrids as long irons off the tee, which work way more often than the 3 & 4 iron did.

2. I have fairway clubs, that I have confidence in.

3. I don't worry about distance - when I had the wood, I would somehowe instinctively resort to tryin to hit the ball a long way and always mishit it - with the hybrids, I seem relaxed more and just try to make contact tbecuase they have plenty of distance.

They have helped me out

then I use my 5 iron

Thanks

I am not a long hitter but I get

the 5 Hybrid (25*) which really replaces a 4 iron - 175 to 180yds

the 4 Hybrid (22*) which really replaces a 3 iron - 185 to 190 yds

the 3 Hybrid (19*) which really reaplces a 2iron - 195 to 200yds

then I use my 5 iron (26*) - 165 to 170 yds.

This set up has given me 3 advatnages over a more traditional woods/long iron setup.

1. I have the hybrids as long irons off the tee, which work way more often than the 3 & 4 iron did.

2. I have fairway clubs, that I have confidence in.

3. I don't worry about distance - when I had the wood, I would somehowe instinctively resort to tryin to hit the ball a long way and always mishit it - with the hybrids, I seem relaxed more and just try to make contact tbecuase they have plenty of distance.

They have helped me out

I have also been trying this combination in the past and worked quite well for me too. However, now I went back to use 3 and 4 hybrids and 4 to PW + 2 wedges setup. I do not use the 4 iron very much but I like to keep it in the bag... I do not even know why as I do not use it often, but to have it in the bag gives me some mental peace which I always need on the golf course... How strange this game is uh?

I went throught a similiar struggle/process. At first, I had a hard time pulling the 3 iron out of the bag, even though I couldn't hit to save my life. But I did replaced with the hybrid. results were awesome.

Then once I started seing result with that, I pulled the 4 out. At first, I went back and forth with the decision, putting the club back in the bag, pulling it, etc. Once I comitted to it, the 4 has never returned - and never will.

Then I thought - wow if I am having this much succes pulling these clubs what about the 5? I pulled it out but realized that somewhere you need to draw the line. Law of diminishing returns.

For me, anything @ the 5 iron or below it's really about accuracy vs distance so the Irons begin w/ my 5. From 170ish, I am trying to get the ball on the middle of the green. This also allowed me to carry 3 wedges in addition to the PW. Great setup. Maybe the 4 needs to stay for you, maybe not? But I experienced the same feelings, that is until i let me ego go and the results persuade me.

Well, currently I carry hi-bore hybrids in 2, 3 and 4. I'm actually considering adding a 4th hybrid to replace my 5-iron. My reasoning is that my 6-iron is the first club that I really feel myself being able to control adequately. With my 6 I'm attacking the pin. With my 5 I'm just trying to land the green. As a 14 handicap I know that I'm obviously not making birdie too many times. I feel more confident that I'll hit a 5 hybrid the correct distance in comparison to hitting a 5-iron. The only thing that scares me about going to this set makeup is the 190-200 yard par 3. I can hit the 5-iron off a tee, i.e. on a par 3. A traditional iron is a bit more accurate than a hybrid for me. So, what I may just do is get a 5-iron from an extremely forgiving set (Big Bertha, MX-900, Cobra S9) to replace the 5 I currently hit a bit sloppy.

I went throught a similiar struggle/process. At first, I had a hard time pulling the 3 iron out of the bag, even though I couldn't hit to save my life. But I did replaced with the hybrid. results were awesome.

Then once I started seing result with that, I pulled the 4 out. At first, I went back and forth with the decision, putting the club back in the bag, pulling it, etc. Once I comitted to it, the 4 has never returned - and never will.

Then I thought - wow if I am having this much succes pulling these clubs what about the 5? I pulled it out but realized that somewhere you need to draw the line. Law of diminishing returns.

For me, anything @ the 5 iron or below it's really about accuracy vs distance so the Irons begin w/ my 5. From 170ish, I am trying to get the ball on the middle of the green. This also allowed me to carry 3 wedges in addition to the PW. Great setup. Maybe the 4 needs to stay for you, maybe not? But I experienced the same feelings, that is until i let me ego go and the results persuade me.

I agree and have the same thinking... maybe one day very soon I will go back and include the hybrid 5 in my bag again and pull out the 4 irons. I am quite settle in the 2 wedges (52* and 58*) setup so I have the choice in the long irons replacements. In any case from 5 and below will not be any changes!