A newbie's review of the Luepold GX-1

KaTooM

first weekend out with new RF
A few days back I was giddy when I bought a new Leupold GX-1. I was so elated that I posted the news here in this forum. Now that I've played 36 holes with it, I thought I'd share my experience. I guess I'll get the disclaimer out of the way now, your results may vary!

OK…so I got a chance to play 36 holes this weekend with my new Leupold GX-1. All I can say is that I’m extremely satisfied with this baby. On Saturday, I played a course that did not have prisms on the flag sticks. I was able to quickly and easily get a reading though. Early in the round when I was still trying to get a feeling for the instrument, I would use the scan mode to double check my initial readings and the RF operated flawlessly. It confirmed my first reading every time.

An added bonus that boosted my confidence in club selection was when I shot the distances to trees, mounds, and bunkering that “framed” the doglegs. Finally no more guessing! If I wanted to play safe and play the hole the way it was designed I knew how far I needed to carry the ball. If I wanted to be daring and cut the dog leg, again, I know how far I needed to carry the ball. Having a good accurate number makes committing to a shot a lot easier.

After day one, I’m tickled!

Sunday, I played a course with prisms on the flag sticks. Here, one of the Leupold’s features really came in handy. It’s a simple little beep that confirms that the RF has locked on to a prism. These readings came back VERY quickly! One time it seemed that the beep came BEFORE I pressed the button! I know that’s not possible but that’s how fast the reading came back. I had total confidence that these yardages were spot on! I like the beep!

I experienced a weird phenomenon today though. About four or five times today, when me and my partner where both in the fairway, the first distance I shot came back with a locked on beep, but when we went down the fairway to the second ball, I could not lock on to the prism…no beep. I was able to get a good yardage but I wonder why it wouldn’t lock on. I have no explanation for this and I’m quite puzzled. I’m hoping it was due to a user error….me!

Also, today the wind was blowing to about three clubs, either helping or hurting and knowing the exact distance to the flag helped immensely in club selection. I had a bunch of approaches settle inside ten feet of the hole. On about three holes, the ball mark was “inside the leather” but the ball rolled well past.

The size of the Leupold is small and compact which feels great in the hand. The fit and finish seems to be top notch and the clarity through the viewfinder was great…nice and sharp images.

Overall, I’m happy with this Ranger Finder and I would highly recommend it to anyone. I hope with a little more practice, I can lock on to the prisms each and every time.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi whiteda6!

Yes, the one handed operation yielded some pretty shaky targeting but the RF picked up the target quickly and easily, especially if a prism was involved.

As a general rule I found that if I kept the crosshairs (reticle) hovering around the target a good reading was returned. So, it's my opinion that a rock steady hand is not a prerequisite to get good readings with the GX-1. I can't comment about other brands and or models.

As far as why I went with the GX-1 instead of the GX-3, simply put, price. The 3 was a hundred bucks more expensive. And secondly, although the slope feature Of the 3 would certainly be nice, I felt the other features like temperature and club suggestions would not be useful to me.

I;ve kind of come to the conclusion that whatever brand or model you choose, you're going to be better off than you were without a RF.

Be sure to post up what you end up buying! Good luck!

I have a GX-1 that I purchased over the winter. I stuck a battery in it and have played between 50 and 60 rounds with it as well as used it on the range for practice sessions. I have never changed a battery yet. I would be interested to know what others on this forum have experienced regarding battery life with the GX-1.

My kids have the GX-1 for over a year now, they play every week.... Same stock battery so far.

[quote name='Tuba' timestamp='1315348115' post='3546556']
I have a GX-1 that I purchased over the winter. I stuck a battery in it and have played between 50 and 60 rounds with it as well as used it on the range for practice sessions. I have never changed a battery yet. I would be interested to know what others on this forum have experienced regarding battery life with the GX-1.
[/quote]

[quote name='KaTooM' timestamp='1315346823' post='3546502']
Hi whiteda6!

Yes, the one handed operation yielded some pretty shaky targeting but the RF picked up the target quickly and easily, especially if a prism was involved.

As a general rule I found that if I kept the crosshairs (reticle) hovering around the target a good reading was returned. So, it's my opinion that a rock steady hand is not a prerequisite to get good readings with the GX-1. I can't comment about other brands and or models.

As far as why I went with the GX-1 instead of the GX-3, simply put, price. The 3 was a hundred bucks more expensive. And secondly, although the slope feature Of the 3 would certainly be nice, I felt the other features like temperature and club suggestions would not be useful to me.

I;ve kind of come to the conclusion that whatever brand or model you choose, you're going to be better off than you were without a RF.

Be sure to post up what you end up buying! Good luck!
[/quote]

I was able to find a GX-3 for $325 (new). The best I could do on the GX-1 was $250. I decided that for $75 extra, I would go with the OLED display. Given how much I spend on golf, $75 really is not that much to avoid having any regrets! I will let you know how I like the unit when it arrives.

[quote name='KaTooM' timestamp='1315591970' post='3553426']
freedOm...excellent to hear that you've experience good battery life!

whiteda6...congratulations on finding a good deal. I know you'll love that unit! I think that OLED display is gonna be the hot ticket!
[/quote]

KaTooM - Do you use any kind of Tether system with your unit? I would also like to find a silicone skin for the GX-3, but have not come across any. I know the bushnell V2 has skins you can buy...