2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

J. Lindeberg clothing

7D2

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tour players use previous collections and upcoming shirts... I know Badds and Richard S. Johnson love the old stuff and still wear it, like alvin and harlow shirts... I know Camilo was using the Fall collection since July/August...

Basically, they get what they want/like sooner than every one else...

Exactly, Badds wears A LOT of some very old collections. I'm talking at least 2 years old sometimes. Camillo is pretty up to date. Jesper is a little more forward in terms of overall look but not in the items themselves, if that's clear. Anyway, with JL, what the tour players wear are exactly the same models that you can buy ( of course they get it first and might get custom fits), except that Lindeberg has a lot of models that carry over from season to season in different colors. Can't even count anymore how much harlows, brantleys and truman sweaters were made.

Exactly, Badds wears A LOT of some very old collections. I'm talking at least 2 years old sometimes. Camillo is pretty up to date. Jesper is a little more forward in terms of overall look but not in the items themselves, if that's clear. Anyway, with JL, what the tour players wear are exactly the same models that you can buy ( of course they get it first and might get custom fits), except that Lindeberg has a lot of models that carry over from season to season in different colors. Can't even count anymore how much harlows, brantleys and truman sweaters were made.

Very true... Also, JL created different items for different areas, ie Asia, europe, USA, Canada... I think lately its becoming more "mainstream" and is making everything more global... I saw Camilo last year wearing some awesome deep blue troy pants (see pic) that I don't think ever made it to retail, or at least I could never find... The closest I could find was a pair of Troon in the same color, but size 38 :) from a Canadian store...

I've seen the Spring '07 catalog and is nothing interesting... pretty dull colors, pretty similar to this Fall collection, lot's of black, white, cream, and navy... Not the things we've come to expect from JL... Some Dunley with only 2 colors instead of 3, black and white pants again.... Maybe they will pick it up for the summer...

Very true... Also, JL created different items for different areas, ie Asia, europe, USA, Canada... I think lately its becoming more "mainstream" and is making everything more global... I saw Camilo last year wearing some awesome deep blue troy pants (see pic) that I don't think ever made it to retail, or at least I could never find... The closest I could find was a pair of Troon in the same color, but size 38 :) from a Canadian store...

I've seen the Spring '07 catalog and is nothing interesting... pretty dull colors, pretty similar to this Fall collection, lot's of black, white, cream, and navy... Not the things we've come to expect from JL... Some Dunley with only 2 colors instead of 3, black and white pants again.... Maybe they will pick it up for the summer...

I've wondered about those pants before also. It's definatly part of a 2005 collection. Now, it doesn't look like the spring collection that had the flashy pinks and oranges. Propably fall 2005. (But I also recall Jacobson wearing a deeper blue in 2004.) That collection was never actually sold a lot, except a little on ebay. I think the yellow troys and the light pinks Camillo was wearing were part of this collection as well. That collection also had a few interesting gleneagle color combinations. I don't know if you the ones I'm talking about.

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/51058719.j...B6920A32E0B8AEC

Also, anyone know about those ?

http://cache.gettyimages.com/xc/50951152.j...DB0838DEA08132F

As for JL going sobre, I kinda like. Everyone is doing flashy now so instead of experimenting with colors, they are really trying to pushthe enveloppe with cuts and designs, which is great. The last four collections (not including this fall) for the most part has just been restyling the look that, IMO, Freddy Jacobson carried the best, even thought they had started to experiment a little.

(thinking skerryn and spence pants, dunley shirt and the cardigans).

I guess you can't link pics from gettyimages. Here they are: Second one is the blue pants worn by Freddy in 2004. First one, my guess is that they were part of another collection, not the golf collection, but I could be wrong. Maybe they never made it to production. I remember another staffer wearing them also.

As for the orange pants, they are two version I know of. Some bright orange, from summer 2005 and the ones that are more coral like the ones that Martineli is wearing in his avatar. (are they the same, I can't really tell...but there were 2 versions of this model). They come up on ebay from time to time. Except to pay the price however. The fuschia from summer 2005 always seem to reach a high price relativly, for ebay that is.

On the staff matter, is Paul McGinley now on JL. He sure is wearing the logos.

I guess you can't link pics from gettyimages. Here they are: Second one is the blue pants worn by Freddy in 2004. First one, my guess is that they were part of another collection, not the golf collection, but I could be wrong. Maybe they never made it to production. I remember another staffer wearing them also.

As for the orange pants, they are two version I know of. Some bright orange, from summer 2005 and the ones that are more coral like the ones that Martineli is wearing in his avatar. (are they the same, I can't really tell...but there were 2 versions of this model). They come up on ebay from time to time. Except to pay the price however. The fuschia from summer 2005 always seem to reach a high price relativly, for ebay that is.

On the staff matter, is Paul McGinley now on JL. He sure is wearing the logos.

I have a friend here in Wichita that has a pair just like those but in white with grey piping... Awesome pants and I do believe that they are from a different collection... I think progresive tailoring... I will find out for sure...

I love that color... I wish they would bring it back... is so much better than this years blue... but oh well...

Nice find on McGinley.... Seems to suit JL nice... At least he is wearing more logos than Will MacKenzie... I'm not sure if he is under contract with someone else, because I think the shirt he was wearing when he won was a Marlow, but it didn't have any logos... kinda weird...

(btw: I know I'm a JL freak... My gf reminds me every day! :) )

I have a friend here in Wichita that has a pair just like those but in white with grey piping... Awesome pants and I do believe that they are from a different collection... I think progresive tailoring... I will find out for sure...

My guess was more white label collection. Back in those days, JL didn't have the same division between the lines like they have now. If I remember correctly, it was black label for the suits and dressier stuff, white label for the everyday wear that was kinda funky and red label for the golf and sportier stuff. It could also be read label now that I think of it. I might have seen those pants in a menswear store that carried a lot of Lindeberg clothing before it got trendy. And they carried all the collections, including red label collection but they didn't carry the golf part of it. Now, with the future sports line and the JL denim line, that's all they seem to sell.

I'm a JL freak too. I have been long before most people even knew JL existed. I remember going in every golf store back in the early days Jesper and CH3 started wearing the argyle sweaters and asking the saleperson if they carried Lindeberg. Always received a big question mark as an answer. I bought my first pair of JL pants in 2003 (I couldn't afford it before), and been hooked on the line since. In those days, the problem the line had in north america was mostly distribution. You couldn't find it anywhere. One golf store in Montreal carried JLindeberg OC and that other menswear store carried the "regular line". Around the same time, I remember going in the New York JL sotre in Soho I believe. A kid in a toys store.

Now, it's been really cool to see the line start from nothing to what it is now. Back when Johan was saying he wanted to change golf and that if you could influence a world as stiff as the golf world, you could do it for pretty much anything (or something along those lines). Back when Jesper still shocked. I guess Johan kinda suceeded in the golf world. It all materialised in the last year or two, when they started with the four lines. Most golf companies have either copied or been strongly influenced by Lindeberg. Nobody was doing technical fabrics, JL was. Noboby was doing flashy, JL was.

However, I used to wear some of my golf stuff off the course. Not anymore. Where I live, JL Future Sports has gotten a little too trendy for my taste and is now associated with people I don't identify with. I'll wear a belt or an argyle sweater from time to time but that's it. The belt are just everywhere now. I wouldn't mind picking a few pieces from the denim, progressive tailoring or concept lines however.

Martineli, are you a fan of the whole line or just Future Sports ?

Oh, and as for MacKenzie, I don't think he is on staff. He might just wear the clothes because he likes them. They might have signed him after he won ? I just don't think he carries it well.

For McGinley, I think he has that manly vibe Johan always wanted to be associated with. His aesthetic was that the clothes could be worn by anyone. (originaly, JL was perceived as clothes for youngsters mesuring 6 feet and weighting 120 pounds, the CH3 look). Paul has the 21st century rock and roll vibe. (If he's signed, I suspect he'll get the Jesper look). I remember reading he's a punk rock fan.

do they make orange pants

Like Blue grass said, there are two versions... I have both of them... pretty stylish pants... here's a pic... Nowdays is pretty hard to find them... kinda like the blue pants we were talking about...

Martineli, are you a fan of the whole line or just Future Sports ?

Oh, and as for MacKenzie, I don't think he is on staff. He might just wear the clothes because he likes them. They might have signed him after he won ? I just don't think he carries it well.

I like most of JL stuff... the jeans I'm not a big fan of... I havent found a pair that really blows mi mind... they are pretty simple...

The more dressy designs are pretty nice... but I haven't had the chance to go to a store that carries a good enough variety of clothing of this type... I'm thinking about going on a golf trip to dallas and check out some stores while I'm down there

I have some red label white pants with red stiching that are awesome... I think they might be kinda old and from previous collections, because I've only seen my pair... They have the little red button with the JL logo attached to the beltstrap...

I thought I heard somewhere about MacKenzie being the guy that replaced Freddy on the JL staff... and I do agree that he doesn't carry the clothes well... he lacks the "flashy" part... but oh well...

the black pants Freddy has on are called Kenns... i have the same pair... i wear a 32 and never wear them... i will sell them to you if your interested... i also have it in grey with white piping and khaki with white piping... i prefer those... hate the troons.. only wear the kenns, baltzars, tavishs, spences, and stigs... the kenns were part of the on course collection and are part of the new gray label now... the gray label has become my favorite line... perkins, parkins, and hunters for me now, as almost every sports apparel line has seemed to start to rip off JL's style... im following suit with Jesper, leaving the crazy colors behind and going for the simple colors with unbelievable cuts... ive worn the stuff for a long time, my roommate in college was a rep and in all that time, the Parkin has become my absolute favorite piece...

oh and bluegrass... dont hesitate on picking up some pieces in the progressive tailoring or denim lines... i have found that they are my new outlet now that Future Sports has gone mainstream... i am probably very similar to you in that i loved that i knew i would without a doubt be the only person wearing lindeberg on the golf course... now thats not the case and its become a bit of a novelty with all the slaters and lachlans... the gray label, progessive tailoring, and denim lines are a great alternative though... try it out

McGinley was under contract to Dunhill. Shame if he's left them as they do some seriously cool strides. Their Polos are awesome fabrics and the jumpers, well you can't really beat them.

But when you step off the course, what would you rather.. JL or Dunhill. I wear a lot of JL on the course, but only the belts get worn off it...

Just my opinion..

the black pants Freddy has on are called Kenns... i have the same pair... i wear a 32 and never wear them... i will sell them to you if your interested... i also have it in grey with white piping and khaki with white piping... i prefer those... hate the troons.. only wear the kenns, baltzars, tavishs, spences, and stigs... the kenns were part of the on course collection and are part of the new gray label now... the gray label has become my favorite line... perkins, parkins, and hunters for me now, as almost every sports apparel line has seemed to start to rip off JL's style... im following suit with Jesper, leaving the crazy colors behind and going for the simple colors with unbelievable cuts... ive worn the stuff for a long time, my roommate in college was a rep and in all that time, the Parkin has become my absolute favorite piece...

I agree... that has to be one of the best shirts I've ever worn... I also love the perkin, but cotton on that cut is not the same...

I have a few items of the gray label and I have to admit that i really like them... I'll have to agree with you that sharp cuts beat flashy colors, but I still like to wear both styles... Fall/winter is more for cuts and spring/summer is more flashy for me... and you are right, Johann Lindeberg did change the world of golf, all the brands now are going more to flashy and using different materials, experimenting with design and patterns... I think we will see a BIG change on upcoming years with more companies trying to follow JL's style... JL will stay ahead of the curve, thats for sure...

The style Jesper has been pushing this year is nice. There may be just the tie I'm not too sure about. It's cool sometimes, but 3 rounds out of 4...not sure. His style looks a lot better no with the new JL shoe that looks amazing from what I've seen on Jesper. Any of you guys seen sample ? His style looked a bit weird with the flashy Future Sport shoe. Seems kinda weird but too me, JL has always been associated with FJ Classics.

I was under the impression from what I've seen of the fall collections that the gray label was just the Future Sports Collection, repackaged with a fall mood. Am I right ?

I have a love/hate relationship with JL right now. I still want to wear my old flashy stuff, but also want o move on. I like m Troys because they are light and cool (as in not warm) but I got this cotton envy. I really like the tavish and the spence lately (I'm actually looking into the spence, don't own any yet).

The BIG change is already underway. A friend of mine saw a LOT of spring/summer collections for 2007 and he says everything just looks the same. Tech and flashy. In that regard, even thought, I really respect a company like fairway and greene for staying true to what they do. Those guys are not jumping on the badwagon. I HATE their clothes with passion thought. Fit is terrible. I'd take an extra small in shirts (I take medium JL, as a reference).

Also, in the early JL days, I remember people complaining about how fitted the line was. Somehow, I never really bought into this. I think it fits normal. It's the other companies that fit large.

Last rambling, I'd really like imput from you guys here. If you were to start a golf clothing company, which direction would you be heading in. I've been thinking about it for a little while. I'm think classic all the way, but with killer cuts, nice details and luxurious fabrics. And then the little details to style it and spice it up. Is there a market for something new. On a larger scale, how are golf companies going to push the enveloppe in the future ?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...