2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Pinehurst in August... Where to Stay... Pinecrest Inn or somewhere else?

lespaulist

Hey everyone,

We are planning our annual Pinehurst trip. We usually go in late September but we need to push up the trip a bit this year.

For the past 5 years we have stayed at the Little River resort. Over the last two years we have been less satisfied with the resort and are looking for a different place to stay. I was thinking about switching the trip to stay at the Pinecrest Inn. I have heard the rooms are average at best but the atmosphere is great. With that said, I did read a few negative things about the Inn.

Can anyone comment on the Pinecrest Inn or offer another place to stay? We don't have unlimited funds so the Pinehurst resort is out. Thanks for your suggestions.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How many people? How long a stay?

If your staying a week or more have you considered renting a condo or a house? [url="http://www.vrbo.com/"]http://www.vrbo.com/[/url] and [url="http://www.homeaway.com/"]http://www.homeaway.com/[/url] are good sites for these sorts of things (some places even have nightly rates). There are also some local property management companies that have short term rentals you could search for online.

The PineCrest Inn is a fantastic place! It is an old Inn, not rife with modern furnishings and amenities, but the atmosphere is fantastic. The rooms are cozy, but not luxurious. The bar and porch area are ideal for enjoying cocktails for your group and the dining room has great meals. It is located in the heart of Pinehurst, so easy access to the village.

I highly recommend it!

[quote name='lespaulist' timestamp='1334693796' post='4739626']
Hey everyone,
We are planning our annual Pinehurst trip. We usually go in late September but we need to push up the trip a bit this year.

For the past 5 years we have stayed at the Little River resort. Over the last two years we have been less satisfied with the resort and are looking for a different place to stay. I was thinking about switching the trip to stay at the Pinecrest Inn. I have heard the rooms are average at best but the atmosphere is great. With that said, I did read a few negative things about the Inn.

Can anyone comment on the Pinecrest Inn or offer another place to stay? We don't have unlimited funds so the Pinehurst resort is out. Thanks for your suggestions.
[/quote]

Just returned from Pinehurst. Stayed at the Homewood Suites, 2 men to a suite each with their own room. Avg per night was 160. Free warm breakfast and dinner with open bar. 5 minute drive to Pinehurst resort. We were thrilled.

TSi2 9° HZ Gen4 Black | TSi2 15° HZ Gen4 Black | Ts2 19° HZ Smoke Black 

T-200 6-48° AMT Black S300 | SM9 56° 60° S300 | Toulon Garage Memphis

Good call on not staying at Little River. Things have not gotten better there. The Pine Crest is a truly wonderful place to stay in Pinhurst. It is walking distance to virtually everything, no need to drive for dinner, drinks or entertainment. The rooms are spartan; but clean and comfortable. The room package includes breakfast and dinner, both of which will exceed your expectations. The food is very good. Their deal is one of the best values in town. You are correct about the atmosphere. Wonderful front porch with rocking chairs; perfect for cigars and conversation. Thursdays, Fridays and Saturdays they often have live entertainment. If there is a party going on its usually at the Pine Crest. Homewood Suites is a much "nicer" hotel but has no atmosphere and requires you to drive to most everything. Serving dinner at the Homewood is news to me, I cannot comment on the food.

The attached picture is from the Pine Crest last night. The place was rocking.[attachment=1129090:pinehurst2 013 resized.jpg]

Renting a home is also a good option to consider. [url="http://www.sandhillsrentals.com/Listing.aspx?oid=21523&ot=213"]http://www.sandhillsrentals.com/Listing.aspx?oid=21523&ot=213[/url] Check it out.

This is a great home in the Old Town area which has been updated for golf rentals. There are a good number of similar homes available online.

My golf team visited Pinehurst 3 years ago and we stayed in the Pinecrest Inn. There were 10 of us and they put us in what they called the "Dungeon" which was basically in the basement and had 3 separate rooms (each with 2 beds if I recall correctly) with a living room area. It was perfect for us as it gave us a place to hang out, play cards, and have a few beers, with the benefit of a couple separate bedrooms. It was a perfect place for a larger group. The hotel had a nice feel to it and was a pretty cool place to be. In addition they offered breakfast and dinner in the hotel, and the food was great.

If I recall correctly the town of Pinehurst rolled up the sidewalks fairly early, but I was in college at the time so early seemed like anything before 4 AM.

[quote name='Snappy987' timestamp='1335051345' post='4765014']
My golf team visited Pinehurst 3 years ago and we stayed in the Pinecrest Inn. There were 10 of us and they put us in what they called the "Dungeon" which was basically in the basement and had 3 separate rooms (each with 2 beds if I recall correctly) with a living room area. It was perfect for us as it gave us a place to hang out, play cards, and have a few beers, with the benefit of a couple separate bedrooms. It was a perfect place for a larger group. The hotel had a nice feel to it and was a pretty cool place to be. In addition they offered breakfast and dinner in the hotel, and the food was great.

If I recall correctly the town of Pinehurst rolled up the sidewalks fairly early, but I was in college at the time so early seemed like anything before 4 AM.
[/quote]

I do love the Pinehurst area and go as often as possible. I enjoyed the Holly Inn. Great staff and comfortable rooms with lots of antique stuff... Last time I was there, I stayed at the Holly Inn. Come to find out, according to many sources, the place is haunted. It is old and walking through the halls at night certainly gives it that TV/Movie look of a haunted place. It was mid and upper 90s and I walked 36 holes a day so I slept right through any of the visiting spirits.

[quote name='tomallinder' timestamp='1335143662' post='4770540']
I do love the Pinehurst area and go as often as possible. I enjoyed the Holly Inn. Great staff and comfortable rooms with lots of antique stuff... Last time I was there, I stayed at the Holly Inn. Come to find out, according to many sources, the place is haunted. It is old and walking through the halls at night certainly gives it that TV/Movie look of a haunted place. It was mid and upper 90s and I walked 36 holes a day so I slept right through any of the visiting spirits.
[/quote]

Good call on the weather. 36 holes a day lives little time & energy to do much else beyond eat and sleep. FYI the ghost at the Holly Inn is known as Mr Holly. This building is the oldest in the village.

The Magnolia Inn actually has a number of ghosts. The "ghost busters" guys actually did an overnight stay with all of their equipment. They reported it was one of the hotest sites they had ever visitied. The Magnolia is the second oldest building in the Village.

Pinecrest Inn would definitely be the best for atmosphere, and Homewood Suites would be great for comfort. The dinner they serve is only Monday through Thrusday, along with complimentary Beer and wine those evenings as well. I believe the hours are 5 to 7 pm.

In the past when it's only been a couple of us, we have stayed at the Homewood Suites. This year in November we have some condo's rented at Talamore, that shoudl be very nice for a larger group, I think they are 4 guys to a unit. it'll allow us to do what we want for breakfast and dinner. Cereal, bagels what not for breakfast, nice steaks on the grill for dinner or eat out.

The cost was very reasonable, something like $500 per man for 3 rounds and 2 nights. Rates shoudl definitely be cheaper in August for you as several have mentioned that is one of their slowest times of year due to the weather.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

• 5 weeks later...

For one night, I wouldn't stay anywhere but the Pine Crest Inn. Two nights would be OK. Anything longer and I'd just pitch up at the Homewood Suites or somewhere modern and comfortable. The Pine Crest is funky and cool and usually "hoppin" but it's not really all that comfortable for resting your tired bones after 36 holes of golf today with 36 more coming tomorrow.

[quote name='lespaulist' timestamp='1337699123' post='4957966']
Thanks for the tips. I setup the trip for the Pinecrest Inn. We reserved the Veno Cottage. Hopefully the space is nice. I was looking at the Inn's location on a map and it looked like a fair walk to the town. Is the town really in walking distance? Thanks.
[/quote]

You will have a fun time. Stayed in the cottage every year for spring break in college. It's a great place to be with a group, has its own little front yard if you want some space to hang out that isn't on the porch of the main hotel. It's not luxurious, but it's completely adequate for a buddies trip and the bar at the Inn can get quite fun in the evening. I'm getting nostalgic just thinking about dinner at the Pinecrest every night.

The cottage is WAY better than the Pinecrest bunker.

You can walk to town, but it isn't especially close. There are plenty of shuttles if you want a ride there and don't have a car.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎 9* @8, Diamana BF 60
Titleist TS3 15*, EvenFlow White T1100 75
Titleist TS2 HY 19* @18, EvenFlow White 90
Titleist 716 T-MB 3i PX 
Titleist T100 '21 4-9 PX
Vokey SM8 Jet Black 46.10, 50.08 @51
Cleveland RTX6 Tour Rack 57*
Bettinardi BB-8W

Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='Don Ross' timestamp='1337872363' post='4970430']
I have no idea what "scale" your map was on but from the Pine Crest to the center of the Village is at best a 7 iron.
[/quote]

That's what I was going to say. Well for me maybe a 5 :)

But then I was wondering if he meant not walking distance to Southern Pines where some of the restaurants were that people were talking about.

The Pinecrest doesn't have any auxillary buildings anywhere does it?

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

[quote name='Carolina Golfer 2' timestamp='1337873977' post='4970638']
[quote name='Don Ross' timestamp='1337872363' post='4970430']
I have no idea what "scale" your map was on but from the Pine Crest to the center of the Village is at best a 7 iron.
[/quote]

That's what I was going to say. Well for me maybe a 5 :)

But then I was wondering if he meant not walking distance to Southern Pines where some of the restaurants were that people were talking about.

The Pinecrest doesn't have any auxillary buildings anywhere does it?
[/quote]

When I Googled the Pinecrest Inn it gave me wrong address on Google Maps. I looked a bit closer and was able to see the correct address. We are staying at the cottage across the street so we should be close to the town. Thanks for all of the help.