2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

NIKE SQ Tour

Steve_FLA

Want to switch to SQ Tour - Shaft Recomendations
I am a 5 handicap and hit my drives 270 yards when I am hitting fairways (I am at sea level in FL so don't give me crap on my length ;) ). I currently hit the Nike SQ and want to upgrade to a more "players" driver. I feel like I really have to over compensate my swing mechanics to fade or draw the ball with the SQ. I would not mind getting more length...but I don't want to sacrifice control. I have two questions...

1. Can anyone recomend another players driver? I like the SQ and was thinking of switching to the SQ Tour.
2. I have 3 stock shaft options on the SQ Tour. The Diamana, Pro Launch and Aldila. What are the pros and cons of these shafts?

Thanks for the input.
-Steve

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a 5 handicap and hit my drives 270 yards when I am hitting fairways (I am at sea level in FL so don't give me crap on my length ;) ). I currently hit the Nike SQ and want to upgrade to a more "players" driver. I feel like I really have to over compensate my swing mechanics to fade or draw the ball with the SQ. I would not mind getting more length...but I don't want to sacrifice control. I have two questions...

1. Can anyone recomend another players driver? I like the SQ and was thinking of switching to the SQ Tour.

2. I have 3 stock shaft options on the SQ Tour. The Diamana, Pro Launch and Aldila. What are the pros and cons of these shafts?

Thanks for the input.

-Steve

I currently play the SQ Tour and won't be changing drivers anytime soon. I would go Diamana 63, GREAT combo in this head. If you want to save a little money then I would look to the Fujikura Tour Platform (as this is another stock option). I have found the Fuji to be the next best pairing of the stock options other than the Diamana. What kind of ball flight do you currently have and what do you want?

The SQ Tour is a great club. I have mine in the shop geting reshafted to Fuji Tour Platform (vs Diamana Redboard. Bought it with the Aldila NV-65 which is ok, but wants to go left for me. I also tend to hit the low line drive sometimes, so I'm looking for a little more launch angle. The stock Diamana in the SQ tour is a nice shaft; I would choose that among the stock shafts

Driver-Taylormade M3 10.5-1
3-5 Woods-Taylormade M3
Callaway Epic Hybrid 20degree
Irons 4-9- Taylormade P790
Wedges 46,52,60 Vokey SM-7
Putter- Scotty Cameron Newport 3
HCP 2.9

what shaft are you currently playing now? in my launch monitor sessions the sq spins a lot less than the sq tour. with that, you will probably want a shaft that has a stiffer tip than what you currently are using.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

what shaft are you currently playing now? in my launch monitor sessions the sq spins a lot less than the sq tour. with that, you will probably want a shaft that has a stiffer tip than what you currently are using.

I currently have the stock Diamana shaft on my SQ. Is the stock Diamana shaft on the SQ Tour the same shaft they use on the SQ?

Thanks,

-Steve

I believe the SQ Tour is going to be exactly what you're looking for, especially since you like the regular SQ. My personal favorite is the Diamana 63, but the UST V2 is a great shaft as well.

My findings were opposite of golfernut, I had more spin with the SQ Tour vs. the SQ. This enabled me to re-find my draw that I had lost when I was using the Ignite 460. I tee it lower when I want to move the ball and higher when I just want to hit a high straight bomb.

I believe the SQ Tour is going to be exactly what you're looking for, especially since you like the regular SQ. My personal favorite is the Diamana 63, but the UST V2 is a great shaft as well.

My findings were opposite of golfernut, I had more spin with the SQ Tour vs. the SQ. This enabled me to re-find my draw that I had lost when I was using the Ignite 460. I tee it lower when I want to move the ball and higher when I just want to hit a high straight bomb.

Im pretty sure golfernut stated the same thing. He said the SQ(MAX) spins less than the SQ Tour. He really said the same thing as you but in a different order....I think. Anyways, all I know is the SQ Max is a very low spin head and the SQ Tour spins more and looks/feel great.

I currently have the stock Diamana shaft on my SQ. Is the stock Diamana shaft on the SQ Tour the same shaft they use on the SQ?

Thanks,

-Steve

the stock diamana on the sq is a diamana for nike, but you can get the diamana blueboard 83 (real diamana, not made for nike diamana) on the sq tour, however the diamana blueboard the comes with the sq tour is the g4"t model (the OEM version) and not the x5ct (aftermarket version). the g4"t model has a 4" tip instead of a 3" tip like the x5ct and plays just a tad softer. i play a g4"t in my sq and a x5ct in my sq tour. i was able to hit my sq tour and a shop sq tour with the g4"t shaft on a launch monitor and the g4"t launched .2* higher and had 200-300 rpm more spin. for me, the x5ct is a better shaft in the sq tour, but i am a high ball highter. i've also used the aldila nv-75 in my sq tour, which was another awesome combination. i got more ball speed with the diamana, but i kept the ball lower with the aldila.

i forgot to mention earlier, the sq tour is an excellent club. for me, its a bigger version of the ignite 410. i feel the ignite 410 and 460 are two completely different drivers. when i first went to the sq tour, it was from the ignite 410, both with the same shafts, and there was no adjustment at all. i can still work the ball the exact same, but there is an added forgiveness and increased distance. with the same shaft, i was getting 3 mph more ball speed with the sq tour over the ignite 410.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

congrats on considering a Sasquatch Tour!!

I current play mine with the non after-market Diamana Blueboard 73.

I am going to problably reshaft it with an Aldila Vs Proto 80X or a Graffalloy Blue LD-X Shaft within the next month or so.

[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Bridgestone J33R 460 9.5* - Aldila Voodoo XNV6[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]TEE XCG6 15* - Testing [/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 18* - Aldila NV 105-X[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Ping Rapture 24* - Project X 6.5[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Cobra '08 Pro CB Forged 5-PW - Project X 6.5 (Satin)[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Vokey SM 50* and 54* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Callaway X-Tour Forged PM Grind 58* - DG S400[/size][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][size=3]Seemore M1 Milled[/size][/font]

Everyone thanks for the input. I went to Edwin Watts today and hit the SQ Tour on a launch monitor. I hit a 9.5* Diamana and a 10.5* Aldila. My carry distance, launch angle and ball spin rate was better with the 10.5* Aldila so thats what I bought. The Aldila had a higher kick point that suited me better and my ball flight was actually lower with a 10.5 over a 9.5. I just wish they had a 9.5* Aldila to compare with the 10.5* Aldila...but I wanted to walk out of there with one today and play.

Thanks,

-Steve

I've hit many combinations with both heads. Here's my feedback for what it's worth.

9.5 SQ Tour w/V2 76 gram S-flex I'm having trouble controlling the ball at times. It's very inconsistent IMO. (MY CURRENT SETUP)

9.5 SQ Tour w/Accuflex Creation 65 gram S-Flex. I was crushing the ball when I first got the setup, hit my longest drive ever w/this combo unfortunately it didn't last and for the money I paid, I was not pleased with the results. I was hooking the ball more than ever. (SOLD)

9.5 SQ Tour w/Aldila NV75 S-Flex The saying "If it aint broke, don't fix it" comes to mind when I think of this combo. I bought this combo new from GSmith, used it until I received my Accuflex Creation shaft and had it reshafted to the club above. Reshafting it was a big mistake. I'm currently looking for this same combo, which is not as common as others. I hit the ball high. This shaft was a perfect trajectory and provided suitable distance. (Reshafted w/Creation)

9.5 SQ Tour w/Pro Launch 65 X-Flex Ballooned the hell out of the ball, immediately decided to put the V2 in it.

9.5 SQ w/Accuflex Creation (DEMO) I hit the SQ and this combo for the 1st time during a Golfsmith demo day. I was hitting a perfect trajectory and drives were long. This is the club that made me purchase both the SQ and the Creation. I decided to go with the SQ Tour because of the slight difference in appearance at setup. I'm thinking about trying an SQ (non-tour). Maybe it was the more forgiving head in the SQ that my swing prefered.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

Everyone thanks for the input. I went to Edwin Watts today and hit the SQ Tour on a launch monitor. I hit a 9.5* Diamana and a 10.5* Aldila. My carry distance, launch angle and ball spin rate was better with the 10.5* Aldila so thats what I bought. The Aldila had a higher kick point that suited me better and my ball flight was actually lower with a 10.5 over a 9.5. I just wish they had a 9.5* Aldila to compare with the 10.5* Aldila...but I wanted to walk out of there with one today and play.

Thanks,

-Steve

Let us know how the on-course trial works out. Sounds like it should be solid considering you went about it with LM testing. Good luck!

I guess my reading comprehension took a break when I posted about golfernut's spin comment. (cool)

Nikemike,

How do you make the degree symbol in your sig? I just noticed it.

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/52967-thug-hunters-bag/page__hl__thug+hunter"]WITB Link[/url]

Titleist 915 8.5º D3 Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 915F 16.5º Rogue Black 70X
Titleist 816 H2 21º Diamana 70S
Titleist 712 AP2 3-PW S300
Titleist SM6 52º & 58º Jet Black
Odyssey Black Series Tour Design #2 or #8
Under Armour Storm Match Play stand bag (Blue Marker)

I have played two rounds so far with my new SQ Tour driver. I use to have the SQ and here are my comments.

Workability is much easier with the SQ Tour (as expected)

Longer carry on solid hits than my old SQ

It feels and sounds better IMO on solid hits than my old SQ

I got off the tee OK the past two rounds. I had two drives get away from me...but that has always been my game. I am glad I made the purchase...its a great driver.

Thanks,

-Steve

Nikemike,

How do you make the degree symbol in your sig? I just noticed it.

Thug Hunter,

To generate the "º" or "°" symbols on a PC, press and hold down the "Alt" key while typing "0186" or "0176" on the num pad. Release the "Alt" key and the degree symbol will appear. Note that the numbers above the letters will not work.

On a Macintosh, hold down the "Shift" and "Option" keys while pressing "8".

Scott