Cool Clubs fitting experience - this is going to get expensive

I have a certificate for a set of G15 irons and figured I would go over to Cool Clubs in Scottsdale and get fitted and find out not only the proper length and lie, but the shaft that fits my game best. BIG Mistake to go there for this purpose.

I worked with Brian, who was personable and knowledgable about all the different heads and shafts that we were trying out. He was able to predict what a particular head/shaft combo would do to my numbers and was pretty much right on the whole time. He wasn't optimistic about the PING G15/20 experiment from the beginning.

We started by measuring my clubs, which ranged from 3 degrees flat to 1.5 degrees flat and had swing weights from D0 to D2.5. I will not mention where I bought these, but they were custom built and were supposed to be built to much tigher tolerances than what I got. Needless to say I was a tad disappointed in the inconsistent specs. After getting the specs of my clubs, Brian did a quick Wrist to Floor measurement and had me hit 3 shots off a lie board. The lie board showed that I needed my clubs more upright and my wrist to floor would suggest longer than standard clubs. None of this was surpising to me given my normal misses and because I abandoned a 1 plane swing experiment a couple of months ago but hadn't readjusted my clubs since then.

We started with shafts. We intially alternated between a KBS Tour, Nippon 950, Nippon 1050, and one other in various heads and could not get the launch angle, spin, and landing angle quite right with any combination. With an evil "this is going to get expensive" look in his eye, he said that he wanted to try one more shaft. He returned with a Nippon Modus3 Pro and said that I would either love it or hate it. He put it into one of the heads and immediately the ball speed, dispersion, landing angle, launch angle and spin improved. It was clear that this was the best shaft for me. I felt a pain in my back pocket as my wallet took hit #1 for the session.

With the shaft picked, it was a matter of finding the right head. Hmmmm. Maybe I could get great numbers with a G15 and the Modus shaft and still be able to save a little money by using my certificate? No such luck. The Modus shaft simply could not offset the increased weight in the sole of the G15. I was launching the 7 iron in the 21 degree range.

After trying everything from Muira (PP cavity back) to Callaway (Razr X Tour) to Taylormade (MC Cavity and R11) to Adams (CMB) to Nike (VRS) and more, we had a top three that included the R11, the CMB, and the VRS.

We cycled through those 3 heads a few times with no more than 3 or 4 at a time with each club. It became clear that the VRS was the winner. So now I had picked one of the most expensive heads with one of the most expensive shafts. Just awesome. I cringed as he put the pricing together for 7 irons with the Modus shafts. If I proceed with these clubs, these will have to stay in my bag for about 5 years to justify the price. What is also clear though is that they know their stuff at Cool Clubs and they take their time to help you find the best possible combination for your game. For me, I will have to sell one of my children to make it a reality.

Knowing the ideal clubs for my game is both a blessing and a curse. I never EVER would have picked the VRS with Modus3 shafts, but those were clearly the best combo for my game. It is also clear that I swing better with an extra 3/4" and standard to slightly upright lie angles.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

definitely worth the money to get fitted but they're going to charge msrp for all the equipment. i did the fitting for cool clubs as well but was slightly disappointed being left handed and the lack of options. but it was worth getting my numbers down and finding the correct shaft and lie angles and length.
you can just get those numbers and order them through a different company or store to get ur specs.

[quote name='sCrod3s' timestamp='1341282635' post='5207848']
What was the final price? Just curious...
[/quote]

For 7 clubs with the Modus 3 Pro and Lamkin crossline grips, they quoted north of $1600 not including tax. Now, what comes with that is puring of the shaft and double checking of all lofts and lies and swing weights to make sure that they are built to the exact specs. In other words, to make sure what happened to me before doesn't happen again. If I add the Gap wedge and put Modus 3s into my current wedges, the total climbs to over $2000. It takes all the uncertainty out of the equation. I find that whenever I go to Golfsmith or PGA Superstore and have work done on my clubs, I always wonder if it was done right. There is no such worry at Cool Clubs.

So how much of that 1,600 is due to the high-$$$ shafts and heads and how much is just the baseline for getting a place like that to build the clubs?

I mean I doubt you're walking out of there with 7 clubs for $700 even if they fitted you into the cheapest shafts and heads in the shop. What's the range. Is it like $1,000 with cheap heads and shafts vs. $1,600 with the expensive ones? Or more like $1,200 vs. $1,600. It's important to know how much of that $1,600 is the assembly and fitting and how much is the premium components.

I'd venture a guess it's at least $1,100-$1,200 for seven irons no matter what components are selected.

You are paying for the shaft and the assembly. They sell the heads for the price of retail (head and stock shaft) and then upcharge for the special shaft and labor significantly. You can order the Modus3 directly from Nike for just a $13 upcharge. They are charging for the shaft, but mostly for the knowledge that you are getting exactly what you ordered. There is a pretty large cushion for the labor they have to do to check and adjust lofts, lies, etc. If money wasn't an issue, I would probably pull the trigger knowing that everything was perfect. Instead, I was able to find a VERY friendly price at a place my dad does a lot of buying from and will take the clubs over to Hotstix to get the lofts and lies checked and adjusted. I think that costs like $50 and I will be saving a ton. I hope the Nike Oven (custom dept) does good work. :)

So it's about 600 bucks for Nike VRS irons (right?), about 100 bucks for the shaft upgrade (from Nike) leaving a difference of $900-ish for having them assembled by this guy rather than Nike.

Seems like most of these teardown-and-rebuild shops end up getting about $100-$150 per club for their service. Steep. I can't say it's a rip-off because lord knows I spend money on some stupid/silly stuff. But steep, sure enough.

[quote name='jmeyerson2004' timestamp='1341441003' post='5217512']
You are paying for the shaft and the assembly. They sell the heads for the price of retail (head and stock shaft) and then upcharge for the special shaft and labor significantly. You can order the Modus3 directly from Nike for just a $13 upcharge. They are charging for the shaft, but mostly for the knowledge that you are getting exactly what you ordered. There is a pretty large cushion for the labor they have to do to check and adjust lofts, lies, etc. If money wasn't an issue, I would probably pull the trigger knowing that everything was perfect. Instead, I was able to find a VERY friendly price at a place my dad does a lot of buying from and will take the clubs over to Hotstix to get the lofts and lies checked and adjusted. I think that costs like $50 and I will be saving a ton. I hope the Nike Oven (custom dept) does good work. :)
[/quote]

So who is the lucky recipient of that G15 voucher?

It's funny as I was in a similar boat - however I can't even get fit at a place like that as it is just too expensive (unless I would have done it before I spent all this money on clubs over the last year.

I got fit at PING and the results with the i20 were great - even amazing...but a whole set is expensive - for me...my clubs are close in specs to what I got fitted for so I would just be doing a lateral move - and I can have my Titleist irons bent a degree or so to match my fitting...shaft recommendation was Z-z65 which is in the same family as the DGS300 I have now...you went to a whole new league with that fitting...

That sounds really expensive even for nice shafts, etc. I would trust Nike and save $900 - but that is me - I just ordered a hybrid and wedge I don't need :) So I cannot give advice...what is for sure is that your current irons are not fit for you so anything in the ballbark of what you got fitted for is going to improve things a lot...

bottom line is that which ever place you get these clubs you should feel very confident that these clubs fit you and that gives confidence - and one less thing to blame

Good luck - sounds like great clubs

TItleist 917 D3 Diamana D+ 70s
Ping G 25 15* Diamana D+ 70s
Callaway Apex 20* Kuro Kage
Titleist 714 CB 4-PW DG s300
SM5 56/60 M Grind
Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='ricar1610' timestamp='1341501762' post='5220808']
[/quote]

So who is the lucky recipient of that G15 voucher?

It's funny as I was in a similar boat - however I can't even get fit at a place like that as it is just too expensive (unless I would have done it before I spent all this money on clubs over the last year.

I got fit at PING and the results with the i20 were great - even amazing...but a whole set is expensive - for me...my clubs are close in specs to what I got fitted for so I would just be doing a lateral move - and I can have my Titleist irons bent a degree or so to match my fitting...shaft recommendation was Z-z65 which is in the same family as the DGS300 I have now...you went to a whole new league with that fitting...

That sounds really expensive even for nice shafts, etc. I would trust Nike and save $900 - but that is me - I just ordered a hybrid and wedge I don't need :) So I cannot give advice...what is for sure is that your current irons are not fit for you so anything in the ballbark of what you got fitted for is going to improve things a lot...

bottom line is that which ever place you get these clubs you should feel very confident that these clubs fit you and that gives confidence - and one less thing to blame

Good luck - sounds like great clubs
[/quote]

I put the G15 certificate in the classifieds here on Golfwrx. They are still available if you know someone that would like the certificate for $400 ($100 off the retail price plus no tax).

• 2 weeks later...

Every time I've been to Cool Clubs, they gave me options when they identify the best matches intemrs of both shafts and heads. "Best", which in your case was the Nippon Modus3 with VTS head. A couple of "Betters", and a couple of "Good", which ran the gamut of pricing. I always tell them my budget is "X" and that's how they present the info. Yes, it can definitely get expensive but they've never failed in trying to work with me in finding a good match that is within my price range. Sounds like they helped you find a winner. Hope you can find 'em at a price you're okay with as it feels great from a confidence standpoint to know you're playing the best matched specs that fit your game as you stand over the ball ready to hit.

You are paying for the shaft and the assembly. They sell the heads for the price of retail (head and stock shaft) and then upcharge for the special shaft and labor significantly. You can order the Modus3 directly from Nike for just a $13 upcharge. They are charging for the shaft, but mostly for the knowledge that you are getting exactly what you ordered. There is a pretty large cushion for the labor they have to do to check and adjust lofts, lies, etc. If money wasn't an issue, I would probably pull the trigger knowing that everything was perfect. Instead, I was able to find a VERY friendly price at a place my dad does a lot of buying from and will take the clubs over to [size=5][u][b]Hotstix[/b] [/u][/size]to get the lofts and lies checked and adjusted. I think that costs like $50 and I will be saving a ton. I hope the Nike Oven (custom dept) does good work. :)
[/quote]

Better get there soon before they go under...