2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura cb-501 two weeks of play

wizo

Well - I promised when I made my first post that I would update my opinion about the playability and how they differed to me on the course.

I guess I should first state that I am using shafts that I have never used before - (KBS tour s+)... I have used in the past s300, project x 6.0, ns pro 950s. Shafts obviously make a huge difference but I really love the feeling of my KBS's. I hit the ball further with the project x's, mid-high with my s300's, great overall Feeling with the ns 950's; but I have to say the KBS's have the best of all worlds for me and I launch them very high with a soft landing.

The iron heads have made a huge difference in my world. I still have to hit them in the center and when you miss them you miss just like a blade - but holly smokes batman when you hit the sweet spot it's like nothing else. Lets be real though, most of us think when you buy new equipment all of a suden you will be a scratch golfer and hit the flag stick with every shot....that just wont happen.

The ball now has a really penetrating ball flight and screams off the face. I used to hit a ball that started straight and fell off to the left. I can hit super high balls now that start right of the target and fall right on top of my spot I am aiming for. The accuracy is crazy good and going after pins seem much easier. I don't feel like mine dig like others have stated and they are awesome in the rough.

I have to say that they look like a players club. The top lines are beautiful and I don't consider these cavity backs at all. They have some forgiveness that I can tell - some - but it's nice that I still can work the ball like a blade.

I at first thought I picked up a full club with these irons, but they are about a 1/5 more if that - I hit them so high that it detracts from some of my distance. I am ok with that and can hit low ones if need be.

If you are on the fence about these irons you should really consider them. It's very imperative you find the right shafts for your irons. I feel that if I put a different shaft in them I would pick up the full club I was talking about but loose the high ball that I like to see. You will honestly pick up ball speed and the sound when you hit them in the center is freaking awesome. It's also a lot of fun explaining to people that the area where your clubs were hand made is also the same place they made Samurai swords. If you want to still work the ball into flags and retain the blade like look these are awesome!

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had mine for about 4 months now, and trust me, they will just continue to grow on you. These clubs (properly fit), coupled with a little swing work, have given me an extra 10-15 yards and better dispersion than ever. The ball flight is just so consistent and I have never been more dialed in with my distance control.

To have a club that looks this blade-like at address AND packs in a decent amount of forgiveness is truly the best of both worlds.

Cleveland Classic 290 9* Tour AD-DI 6s
Tour Edge Exotics CB2 15* Tour AD-DI 7s
Adams Idea Pro 18* Aerotech Steelfiber
Mizuno MP-33 3-PW TTDG S300
Cleveland 588 Forged 56*, 64*
Never Compromise Sub 30 Type 40

I hit em at the range again today and they just rocket out of the hole now. My tempo has gotten a little better which has been the growing process with these badboys. The guy next to me sat and watched a few and thought it sounded awesome the sound they were making.

Thank you for this forum which helped me find these.

[quote name='Hattori Hanzo' timestamp='1345303047' post='5494312']
.......The ball flight is just so consistent and I have never been more dialed in with my distance control.
[/quote]

That's what I keep trying to tell people. Not sure about the 501's, but with the small blades, you have to play them a while to really appreciate how consistent they are. Not just a fitting or a couple of range sessions. I've had other clubs (blades, cb's, no matter) that felt great at first and the more you played you noticed that your shots weren't as close to the hole as you thought they would be. With the Miuras, the ball goes the same within a yard or two every time. I've no idea what causes that, I just know that I've not experienced it before. I crack up when I hear people say they tried a Miura 6-iron at the range or at a fitting and didn't see what the big deal was. And they expected to not feel the ball contact because they were supposed to be so soft. Who the hell wants to not feel the ball?

I was considering changing my grips to a standard instead of an oversized multicompound. I have noticed that at time I do not release my hands through the ball and have a small push. It's weird because some days they are right on the money with a slight draw and then other days I will end up with straight flight with small fade.
I have been told the smaller grips will allow my hands to be more activated and will allow more feel. Miura actually has cord grips which look absolutely sick. I will post pics next week when I get them.
I also finally got a range finder and will tell you these irons are very accurate on distance. I am hitting balls around 3-5 yards of each other every time. I feel more inclined to shot at pins now and look forward to scoring better.