2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Alright belly putter guys....

JGalls

Drop some knowledge on me!
I've tried about every style and brand putter out there except for belly putters. I have a 41" Ping craze sitting here and I've been messing around a bit with it. So I need you guys to teach me about the odd world of belly putters ;)

A few questions I had, but don't limit the discussion to these.

How do you know which length is for you?

Where do you rest the butt end?

How do you hold the damn thing?

Does center shafted or heel shafted play a large role?

What else should I know? any other advice would be appreciated...

Thanks!

J

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler
Callaway Apex MB 3-G w/ DG
Titleist SM8 54, 59 w/ DG
Odyssey butane Black Series i #1 w/ welded long neck

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jgalls,

I can provide a little bit of info.....

Length. I messed around with a few different lengths before I settled on my current 46". What I did was to cut the grip end out of a standard putter where I could slide an old piece of shaft into it. I took a grip endcap and put on the shaft so the edges wouldn't snag on my shirt or anything. If you use an old iron shaft you might get lucky where one of the steps in the shaft fits snugly into the putter shaft. That way you can adjust it up and down easily for length. Once I found what was comfortable to me I could transfer the specs to an actual belly putter.

I rest the butt end right in my belly button. I have tried to the left of my BB and above it but neither of them felt as comfortable. That is another thing that you will have to try in different spots. I know some guys that put it to the left or just under their sternum, but for me, the end in my BB and a constant ball position gives me a repeatable stroke with the same release point every time.

I use a normal two finger overlap putting grip with the right hand low. Again, I found it to be most comfortable for me. One suggestion I could give you is to use one of the one piece grips to start out with such as the Winn paddle belly grip.( the black one with the red bit at top) that way you don't have to worry about figuring out where to place the 2 piece split grips while you are trying to figure out where to place your hands at the same time. Once you find where your hands feel the most comfortable you can switch to a two piece grip if desired.

Center shafted or heel shafted is a preference just like a normal putter. I rotate between three putters. A heel shafted Mid Sur, a center shafted Mid Red X2, and a futura mid. So I have everything covered. I putted with the futura for 3 years but have been favoring the Mid Sur lately.

As far as any other advice I can give you..... Make sure you give it some time...... Find what specs you are comfortable at and play around with it. Also, for me I use a very stiff shaft and a heavy head. The lightest of my three putters is 375 grams up to 400 grams. All three are shafted with Ski Pole putter shafts......

Finally,

Have fun with it. It is not for everybody but it has improved my putting greatly and my back is grateful as well...

Let me know if you have any other questions....

Jim

I've tried about every style and brand putter out there except for belly putters. I have a 41" Ping craze sitting here and I've been messing around a bit with it. So I need you guys to teach me about the odd world of belly putters :drinks:

Thanks!

J

I went with 41 inches and I seat the putter around my belly button. I hold mine cross handed like Couples. I went heel shafted, I am left eye dominate and I need the offset provided by the heel shafted models.

You will love this right away inside 15 feet, the first time you have to putt from one side of the green to another you will wonder how can I do that?

I am 5'6, the guy who has his a 46 inches must be a Giant ;) thats the length I use in my long putter!

I am a midget!

Joe

Driver: Ping G425 Max 10.5  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 55 Stiff
Wood: Ping G425 5 & 7 Wood  Mitsubishi Tensei AV Orange 75 Stiff

Hybrid: Ping 425 4i Mitsubishi Tensei Orange

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

Ping Glide 4.0 54 and 58 Wilson Tour Forged 56 and 60
Putter: LAB Directed Force 2.1 (33-69)//Seemore Custom "The Big Fluffy"
Bag: Vessel Player III

Jgalls,

I can provide a little bit of info.....

Length. I messed around with a few different lengths before I settled on my current 46". What I did was to cut the grip end out of a standard putter where I could slide an old piece of shaft into it. I took a grip endcap and put on the shaft so the edges wouldn't snag on my shirt or anything. If you use an old iron shaft you might get lucky where one of the steps in the shaft fits snugly into the putter shaft. That way you can adjust it up and down easily for length. Once I found what was comfortable to me I could transfer the specs to an actual belly putter.

I rest the butt end right in my belly button. I have tried to the left of my BB and above it but neither of them felt as comfortable. That is another thing that you will have to try in different spots. I know some guys that put it to the left or just under their sternum, but for me, the end in my BB and a constant ball position gives me a repeatable stroke with the same release point every time.

I use a normal two finger overlap putting grip with the right hand low. Again, I found it to be most comfortable for me. One suggestion I could give you is to use one of the one piece grips to start out with such as the Winn paddle belly grip.( the black one with the red bit at top) that way you don't have to worry about figuring out where to place the 2 piece split grips while you are trying to figure out where to place your hands at the same time. Once you find where your hands feel the most comfortable you can switch to a two piece grip if desired.

Center shafted or heel shafted is a preference just like a normal putter. I rotate between three putters. A heel shafted Mid Sur, a center shafted Mid Red X2, and a futura mid. So I have everything covered. I putted with the futura for 3 years but have been favoring the Mid Sur lately.

As far as any other advice I can give you..... Make sure you give it some time...... Find what specs you are comfortable at and play around with it. Also, for me I use a very stiff shaft and a heavy head. The lightest of my three putters is 375 grams up to 400 grams. All three are shafted with Ski Pole putter shafts......

Finally,

Have fun with it. It is not for everybody but it has improved my putting greatly and my back is grateful as well...

Let me know if you have any other questions....

Jim

Amazing post Jim...thank you for taking the time!

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler

I use a 2-Ball belly. This was originally a 43" putter. After a couple of years I cut it down to 35". When I decided to go back to the belly I went to my Club Doctor and had it fitted to the correct length. It is between 41-42" and fits at the top of my BB. My eyes are slightly inside the target line and I use a claw grip. It seems to work for me now, and I am even pretty good on the 40-50 footers.

JGalls,

liljim made a great post but one thing to look out for when 'making' your own belly length putter. If you use the method liljim mentioned (split grip) I think there has to be a specific gap between the two grips.

I contacted the R&A a few years ago as I was experimenting with a cut off shaft stuck in the end of a normal putter and they told me the split grips had to be so many inches apart.

Obviously this is for competition ;)

EDIT: APPENDIX II (v) A putter may have two grips provided each is circular in cross-section, the axis of each coincides with the axis of the shaft, and they are seperated by at least 1.5 inches (38.1mm).

And now, for a point of view from the vertically challenged membership of GolfWRX, namely me..... ;)

Since I am a TOWERING 5 foot 6 inches, I use a 41" PING lil'b'. I am thinking of getting another 3 inches put in it.

//How do you know which length is for you? It's all based on feel and grip for me.

//Where do you rest the butt end? I use the traditional long putter grip. I place my left hand on the butt end in a way that my thumb is bent over the very end of the shaft. My right hand is placed from the underside of the shaft. That's how I hold the putter.

//Does center shafted or heel shafted play a large role? It does to me since I think my alignment favors a center shafted version.

The anchor point for me is in the middle of my chest, just below my rib cage or sternum. Right in the middle of my chest. That's where the knuckle on my thumb is placed when I take my stance.

Right now, 41" is a little short as I have found myself bending over at the waist too far for my liking. I am thinking if I get another 3 inches put on it, I will feel more comfortable while in my stance.

I have no plans to go back to a traditional length putter. I've made far more putts inside 10 feet than ever before. The trick to me was getting down the lag. With a little practice, I've gotten a lot better at that. When I two putt, my second putts are usually tap-ins.

The roll I can get out of a putt now is a lot more true that what it was when I was using my old 33" Cameron. I have more of a pendulum stroke now.

This length also helps my back as I am not as bent over as I once was while using a more traditional putter. My back doesn't hurt after a couple hours of practice on the green or after 18 holes of golf anymore.

Direct link to WMV video interview with Bobby Grace

Skip to the 4:00 mark in the video above - Bobby grace has some interesting things to say about belly putters.

Great clip, makes me even more soldi on my decision to use one until the day they say NO.

Joe

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW

I've tried about every style and brand putter out there except for belly putters. I have a 41" Ping craze sitting here and I've been messing around a bit with it. So I need you guys to teach me about the odd world of belly putters :drinks:

Thanks!

J

Good to see a lot more talk about belly putters here. I'm using one for the last 3 years now and every time when I trie a 'normal' putter I quickly switch back to my belly. It is just too good. I'm happy to help you!

The lenght is whatever you prefer, stand upright or bend, whatever you like. My position is the same as with a normal putter.

Butt end in the bellybutton.

I hold it with a normal grip but pretty high up the shaft near my belly. You are making less movement with your arms and hands this way and make less faults in getty too handsy. Check out how Collin Montgomerie holds his putter, he switched to a normal putter now but still holding it very high, I guess it is probably a 36" or more.

Center or heelshafted only makes a visual difference if both are face-balanced (which I prefer), perhaps it is a little different in set up as well.

In comparison with a normal putter I make more short putts inside 10 feet. Average lenght putts are about the same and long putts as well. The long putts took a little getting used to. I'm 'very' good in long putts and make very little 3 putts because of distance. When I switched to my belly putter distance control suffered but after a few months I was back to normal.

That's about it, any more questions are welcome (respons can take a few days since I am travelling in Vietnam at the moment)!

Greetings,

Ben

I've tried about every style and brand putter out there except for belly putters. I have a 41" Ping craze sitting here and I've been messing around a bit with it. So I need you guys to teach me about the odd world of belly putters :crazy:

Thanks!

J

Good to see a lot more talk about belly putters here. I'm using one for the last 3 years now and every time when I trie a 'normal' putter I quickly switch back to my belly. It is just too good. I'm happy to help you!

The lenght is whatever you prefer, stand upright or bend, whatever you like. My position is the same as with a normal putter.

Butt end in the bellybutton.

I hold it with a normal grip but pretty high up the shaft near my belly. You are making less movement with your arms and hands this way and make less faults in getty too handsy. Check out how Collin Montgomerie holds his putter, he switched to a normal putter now but still holding it very high, I guess it is probably a 36" or more.

Center or heelshafted only makes a visual difference if both are face-balanced (which I prefer), perhaps it is a little different in set up as well.

In comparison with a normal putter I make more short putts inside 10 feet. Average lenght putts are about the same and long putts as well. The long putts took a little getting used to. I'm 'very' good in long putts and make very little 3 putts because of distance. When I switched to my belly putter distance control suffered but after a few months I was back to normal.

That's about it, any more questions are welcome (respons can take a few days since I am travelling in Vietnam at the moment)!

Greetings,

Ben

Thanks Ben, I was able to get in a one round belly experiment in this past weekend (2 days before Xmas in central NY :drinks: ) and was extremely impressed. I used a PING Craz E 41" center shafted model. It was probably my best putting round of the year. Made everything within 10 feet once I got comfortable on winter greens and made a couple around 20 feet. It's just so easy! I expected lag putting to be difficult, but I hit my irons so well it really didn't come into play. I had one really long putt that I left about 15 feet short ;) but then drained the second one to save par. Finished up with 4 birds and a 73 so the proof is in the pudding.

I think I'll be experimenting all winter (whenever it comes) and start the spring off with some sort of belly. I think the center shafted model setup well for me, but I do need something a bit flatter and maybe a little firmer feel to it.

Titleist TSI3
Cobra Baffler

JGALLS

The flatter angle you are looking for is also a funtion of overall length. At 41 I need the putter flatter than I do at 39.

Just food for thought while you are testing some belly/mid putters.

Joe

Wilson D9 Forged 5-GW