2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Moving to Wichita Kansas, Any recommendations?

dock4

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there actually is some really goodl golf around [size=4]wichita surprisingly. [/size]

[size=4]about a 45 minute drive away in Hutchinson is Prairie Dunes, ranked ~16th nationally and host to the 2014 NCAA championships. Sand Creek Station is also about 45min away, and host to i think either the 2014/2013 publinks. [/size]

[size=4]i've never played in Wichita, but trying to remember what courses my father in law likes there (he's a member at Prairie Dunes)....Tallgrass, Wichita Country Club, and Crestview on the east side of town are all right next to each other. the top destination in wichita is probably Flint Hills, I believe it's hosted nationwide events, some senior tour stuff, etc. it's a fazio layout that has received some pretty good accolades from golf digest. no idea what membership costs.[/size]

[size=4]colbert hills near Manhattan is farther away, but another highly ranked course.[/size]

[size=4]so really there is some surprisingly good golf around that part of the country. just get ready to learn a low wind shot. :)[/size]

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 Speeder Evolution 757x
Titleist 917F3 13.5 Fuji Speeder Pro TS 84X
Mizuno MP4 3-P X100
SM7 50F 54M 58M S400
Bettinardi BB1
@protrajT

• 5 weeks later...

There are plenty of good courses in the area. By far, the best course within 500 miles is Prairie Dunes, which is just a 45-60 min drive from Wichita. In Wichita, a couple of private courses I would recommend are Crestview Country Club and Wichita Country Club. Flint Hills is a great track, but is exceptionally expensive and exclusive. Honestly, look into Prairie Dunes. For a regular member, dues are around $400-500 per month. Dues are cheaper if you are under 35, as you can get a junior membership. If want to get a tour and round in a Prairie Dunes, send me a PM (I'm a member there).

• 4 weeks later...

Thank you all for your responses, I am all moved in now(I live in Terradyne a golf course community) and I am still in shock in regards to the snow. I would love nothing more than to be a member at Prairie Dunes however, the drive out there will make it not really an option for me. I have 2 young kids and a demanding job so tacking on 2 hours of drive time to a round is not really in teh cards with any regularity. Plus I want it to be close to teh house for my wife to be able to take my son to go and play if he wants. I plan on checking into Crestview more along with Terradyne.

Thanks again for all of the information on this thread and the other one I created. I still want to play Prairie Dunes though!!!

• 2 months later...

I am from Wichita and have grown up playing golf in the area for many years. I will try to give you as much valuable information that I can.

As many have said, Flint Hills is a nationally recognized private course that is incredible. I caddied there all throughout high school and for a year in college. I passed up other jobs just so I could play it when the course was closed on Mondays. It's that nice. That said, unless you have big time money, you won't be getting out there as a member. It's invite only and high dollar. Think Alotian Club in Arkansas.

Since you are in East Wichita/Andover I would recommend Terradyne, Crestview, or Tallgrass. A good buddy of mines dad is part of the new ownership at Terradyne and they have some pretty good membership rates right now. That course has really taken a turn for the better in the last 5 years. It's a link style, so I don't think I would ever be a member there, but it's a great track.

Take this with a grain of salt as I am a Tallgrass loyalist, but there membership rates right now are incredibly low. You won't pay a joiner fee and the monthly dues are extremely reasonable. The course is always in great shape. There also aren't that many members, so getting a round in is never a problem. Only thing bad about Tallgrass is the practice facilities are far from that of Terradyne and Crestview. Same with their clubhouse/food quality.

Crestview is the nicest of the 3 and in turn the most expensive. If you can afford it, it's a great option because there are 2 courses. The North course is much nicer, but the South isn't too bad. There clubhouse and restaurant are top notch as well. Have played many rounds on that course and can't complain.

Your best bet is gonna be to become a member somewhere. It kind of sucks because you pay dues while sitting on your couch in the winter, but if you play a bunch it's worth it. I just ended my Junior Membership at Tallgrass because I will be gone for 3 months this summer and I'm feeling the pain now. Wichita municipal courses are absolutely horrible/expensive unless you play Auburn Hills. I recommend getting out to Sand Creek a few times year also just to mix it up and play a great course at a great price. If you get on K-96 from your house, it's a 35 min drive at most.

• 5 weeks later...

[quote name='dock4' timestamp='1370004626' post='7141940']
That is great information. I think I am going to join tetracycline because I live in the neighborhood and it is just so darn convenient otherwise I would probably go for creative. Besides tgw what are the best golf stores in town?
[/quote]

I believe you meant Terradyne? If so, good choice. I really like playing that course and there 3 hole practice course is awesome.

I'm not a big TGW guy as I do most my shopping online, but you have Golf Headquarters at Central and Webb and the new Golf Etc. as mentioned. I am also a huge fan of Max at Pro Link downtown. He has mostly used stuff, but it's always in great condition and at a great price. Besides that, he is a great guy and will do whatever he can to help you out. I try to support him as much as I can as far as grips, shaft pulls, etc.