The PGA of America

mikpga

I am all for becoming a well rounded golf professional in all facets of my career. I just think that some courses could be ignored so that other "more important" issues could be stressed, i.e. First Aid. N o personal attacks, just some pent up issues with the PGA, so nothing personal Mike. All in all I am proud to be a member of the PGA of America and I hope that I represent the organization's heritage to the best of my ability in business practices, community services and all facets of the game of golf.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can someone tell me what the PGA is for? In my opinion other than the PGA tour the PGA of america does nothing but cost people money. Seeing the logo tells me someone was foolish enough to spend a bunch of money and time on something they were already qualified to do. The PGA takes the fun out of why many people became involved with golf to begin with, to play. Once your in, you cant play any tournaments with your buddies anymore, it kind of allianates you. I got my amateur status back and I couldnt be happier. Now I dont have 350 bosses everyday telling me the water coolers need to be filled again and miss Green left her 7 iron on number 6, can you get that for her? Have fun! Im happy with the BDOA = Beer drinkers of america and avoid all golf related politics and other B. S. My 2 cents. G :crazy:

Can someone tell me what the PGA is for? In my opinion other than the PGA tour the PGA of america does nothing but cost people money. Seeing the logo tells me someone was foolish enough to spend a bunch of money and time on something they were already qualified to do. The PGA takes the fun out of why many people became involved with golf to begin with, to play. Once your in, you cant play any tournaments with your buddies anymore, it kind of allianates you. I got my amateur status back and I couldnt be happier. Now I dont have 350 bosses everyday telling me the water coolers need to be filled again and miss Green left her 7 iron on number 6, can you get that for her? Have fun! Im happy with the BDOA = Beer drinkers of america and avoid all golf related politics and other B. S. My 2 cents. G :crazy:

Well I guess it all depends on why you got in the golf business. If you got in to the golf business to play, I'd say you got in to the golf business for all the wrong reasons. It is a business, just like any other.

For those that desire to get in the golf business, here is some advice.

If you want to just play golf, then by all means just play golf. If you get into the golf business you better be a people person, because that's what it is. It is part of the "service industry". If being part of that industry does not appeal to you, do yourself a favor and steer clear.

I can play in whatever tournaments I like, so I guess I don't see where your coming from. Are all you buddies amateurs?

Regardless sounds like you didn't think about your career path prior to jumping in with both feet....IMO a good life-lesson learned on your part. Plan your future then live it. ;)

FYI - The PGA is for growing and promoting the game of golf. That's why I joined and I'm happy with my position.

Being a public school teacher, I have this mind set that everything is established at the younger ages. I would like to see more pro's involved with youth programs. I know there are first tee programs, but here in Georgia we only have 4 or 5 state wide and this is a big state. I think there is a real need in the rural areas of our state for some basic instruction and more importantly help in gaining acess to the sport because these tend to be low income and the acess to clubs and courses are the biggest obsticale.

MM

I would not expect a highly skilled club fitter to also be my teaching pro, nor expect my teaching pro to know how to finance a clubhouse expansion. The PGA should acknowledge that we're now playing 21st century golf.

Why can't they be both? IMO as a PGA member, I need to be. In todays marketplace, I need to prove to my employer that I can continue to be an assest to their business. The minute that I cease to be an asset, I'm getting replaced. That's true in any business; the golf business is no different.

Technology is not cheap. Not every PGA member or facility can afford a launch monitor or video swing analysis systems either. Yes they've become more affordable, but the term "affordable" is all relative.

As Mike said www.pga.com has a "PGA Professional locator" in the "Improve your game" section.

midasmulligan2000 or anyone here for that matter, don't be afraid to interview an instructor prior to getting lessons from them. Talk to them about their teaching philosophy, it's all about communication. Not everyone communicates the same way, so be careful taking lessons based on what friends say. Like any occupation, there are good and bad.

I mentioned this earlier during this post, didn't get too much feedback...

How does everyone feel about GolfTec hiring PGA Teaching Professionals with the following requirements...

1. College Degree is required.

2. Teaching experience preferred, but not necessary.

I would rather see it this way.

1. College Degree is preferred, but not necessary.

2. Teaching experience is an absolute must. Minimum of 5 years experience.

Thanks again, for everyone's input...

Mike

Yeah, I've seen that as well Mike............I'm going to look at it from a different perspective; theirs.

If they get a "raw" PGA member or apprentice.

1. You know they have a minimum of playing skills.

2. As a college grad they have someone who has proven they can learn. Very important in this scenerio.

3. They are less likely to have teaching habits which
they
deem undesirable.

4. With no, or limited, experience they have no chance to immediately hit the floor teaching, so they can be "molded" (for lack of a better word) to their performance standards.

So,I can see where they are coming from.

I know as a DoG I will not let anyone teach at my facility until they have proven they have proven themselves competent to teach. Since they work under me, they are a direct reflection of me. Therefore, before I allow them to teach, they must explain their teaching philosophy's and demonstrate them in a lesson. (usually with another employee) To start off, they help me with clinics. I can observe them more easily there.

**Edit**

After taking a few minutes and going through the GolfTec website, I can see another reason why they may advertise like that Mike. Most instructors never have the opportunity to use that level of technology.

All the info you seek is out there, you just have to go after it.

PGALinks has bascially a free 12 credits in the online ed section, so MSR credits are no problem. I have 83 as we speak.

Mike, I think a good PGA member is also a good manager. At least in my experience they better be if they want to keep their job. Most of all they have to be a good communicator.

IMO it's naive to think you can get by without being a manager. As for Golf Course Design. I've opened 2 golf courses (working on my 3rd right now) and have remodeled one. I've worked with 4 different golf course architects - yes I think that's a pretty useful class. If you work at a golf course, someday you probably will go through at minimum a remodel. As for Golf Range Management; can you please explain to me how that course could not be useful to you in your career.

Think about it from the owners percpective for just one minute; I am intrusting you with my facility that I have $20m invested and you can't budget or manage. What kind of assest are you to him.

or

You just teach and have an opportunity to own the range; what management skills do you possess to operate a successful range?

As for studying Meteorology. One class is not going to do any good. It's a pretty in-depth science. Crap, here in TX the meteorologists can't predict the weather. And they've been studying for years! IMO we should have more in-depth studies in First Aid. That is something I have used. Again I have applied myself and gone on my own to learn more. It's a far more important class than any that is given. When you see a member drop on the range with a heart attack and a month later come back to thank you it is a statisfying feeling.

The PGA has most of the programs, you just have to apply yourself.

I'm not working towards any certification in golf (not like anyone would know by looking at my WITB :) ) but I can absolutely attest to the section I highlighted... several of my friends from college were meteorology majors that one of the best if not the best undergrad meteo program in the country... there are so many aspects of it, plus you'd better be in love with high level calculus, chemistry, and physics, and enjoy derriving equations to use as models... one class won't cut it, but one class in atmospheric thermodynamics, I assure you, will make you want to never look at another cloud again...suicide by mathematics... enter my switching into business before I even stepped on campus, LOL! :) :cheesy: :D