2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Odyssey White Hot Pro Headweights

gunmetal

Anyone know if Odyssey is going one standard canned 340ish headweight or if they will have heavier heads in the sub 35" length. As my favorite putter company, they piss me right off when they do the one headweight game. Yes I know it saves on production costs, but sheesh - weight is kind of a big deal in terms of fitting.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can say right now that Odyssey has been a bit unreliable when it comes to the actual headweights. I've pulled just about every Odyssey head off a shaft and weighed it. I've seen 329 on heads that are supposed to be 340. (Prototype #1) Ive seen 335 on heads that are supposed to be 350. (original white hot putters). I can't say whose to blame for this inconsistency, but the tolerances on headweight should be 2-3 grams.

[quote name='tdk8180' timestamp='1360515979' post='6399865']
I can say right now that Odyssey has been a bit unreliable when it comes to the actual headweights. I've pulled just about every Odyssey head off a shaft and weighed it. I've seen 329 on heads that are supposed to be 340. (Prototype #1) Ive seen 335 on heads that are supposed to be 350. (original white hot putters). I can't say whose to blame for this inconsistency, but the tolerances on headweight should be 2-3 grams.
[/quote]

That's strange. I just pulled my Protype 2 and it weighed in exactly at 340, which is what the sole says. Like you said, 2-3 is standard, but 15 grams??? That's some pretty shoddy QC. Fortunately the Odysseys' I've dealt with have all been within the tolerance range.

[/quote]
Saw this and just wanted to clarify. The Prototype #1 (assuming you're talking about the Proto milled) was supposed to be 330 grams and the original White Hot's were any where between 328 grams (#1) up to 335 grams depending on the model. If we see anything outside of the 2-3 (in some cases 3-5 on very heavy heads) gram tolerance those heads get re-worked or thrown away with very few exceptions that I've ever seen.

We actually didn't start publishing head weights on our putters until around 2007.

[quote name='Odyssey PM' timestamp='1360855220' post='6427305']
[/quote]
Saw this and just wanted to clarify. The Prototype #1 (assuming you're talking about the Proto milled) was supposed to be 330 grams and the original White Hot's were any where between 328 grams (#1) up to 335 grams depending on the model. If we see anything outside of the 2-3 (in some cases 3-5 on very heavy heads) gram tolerance those heads get re-worked or thrown away with very few exceptions that I've ever seen.

We actually didn't start publishing head weights on our putters until around 2007.
[/quote]

Can you buy heavier weights to replace in a White Hot Tour #5 from Odyssey?

[quote name='Teedogg' timestamp='1360860898' post='6428119']
[/quote]

My original white hot #1 is 348 grams and my scale cost $250, so it's not wrong. For the Odyssey Prototype #1 milled putter, it was listed on the site as 340 grams, yet they all weighed 328-331. That's unacceptable. In general, I'm always happy with odyssey stuff once l get to pull it apart, epoxy the inserts in and grind the soles so the toe doesn't turn in closed.
[/quote]

[/quote]

My original white hot #1 is 348 grams and my scale cost $250, so it's not wrong. I did get it from an old tour clubmaker that used to roam the country in a free lance tour van. For the Odyssey Prototype #1 milled putter, it was listed on the site as 340 grams back when it came out, yet they all weighed 328-331. That's unacceptable. In general, I'm always happy with odyssey stuff once l get to pull it apart, epoxy the inserts back in and grind the soles so the toe doesn't turn in closed, especially on the 9 style heads. After all that, I'm satisfied. And the whole cast insert vs injection molded insert. I worked in automotive plastics for almost 25 years, theres no additional benefit to either. Just sayin....

[quote name='Odyssey PM' timestamp='1360862170' post='6428249']
No, although we did have two separate headweights for that line. 340g and 350g (came one 33" and 34")
[/quote]

Just asked my local shop to order me a 33in #7 and wanted to clarify some conflicting info I've seen, I saw you posted on another thread that the WH Pro #7 is the larger size and weighed in at 355g... but on the odyssey site it says 350g... I know its only 5g but the heavier the better... And will the 7 heads be all the same weight regardless of putter length? or are the 33-34in heavier? Thanks

[quote name='tdk8180' timestamp='1361145170' post='6447775']
[quote name='Teedogg' timestamp='1360860898' post='6428119']
[/quote]

My original white hot #1 is 348 grams and my scale cost $250, so it's not wrong. For the Odyssey Prototype #1 milled putter, it was listed on the site as 340 grams, yet they all weighed 328-331. That's unacceptable. In general, I'm always happy with odyssey stuff once l get to pull it apart, epoxy the inserts in and grind the soles so the toe doesn't turn in closed.
[/quote]

[/quote]

My original white hot #1 is 348 grams and my scale cost $250, so it's not wrong. I did get it from an old tour clubmaker that used to roam the country in a free lance tour van. For the Odyssey Prototype #1 milled putter, it was listed on the site as 340 grams back when it came out, yet they all weighed 328-331. That's unacceptable. In general, I'm always happy with odyssey stuff once l get to pull it apart, epoxy the inserts back in and grind the soles so the toe doesn't turn in closed, especially on the 9 style heads. After all that, I'm satisfied. And the whole cast insert vs injection molded insert. I worked in automotive plastics for almost 25 years, theres no additional benefit to either. Just sayin....
[/quote]

Good point on the sole grind!! I just bought a White Ice #7 online and had to go to a local shop to find the right one that sat flat. Out of the 4 that were in the store, there was only one that sat square to the ball at address, on a hard surface. All the others "wobbled" the putter head open, so that I'd have to control the club to sit square (if that makes sense). I'm also very happy with the Odyssey product, but this area and the headweights are things that can be improved upon. CONSISTENCY is key with such a feel club.

[quote name='lefty91' timestamp='1361154870' post='6448901']
No, although we did have two separate headweights for that line. 340g and 350g (came one 33" and 34")
[/quote]

Just asked my local shop to order me a 33in #7 and wanted to clarify some conflicting info I've seen, I saw you posted on another thread that the WH Pro #7 is the larger size and weighed in at 355g... but on the odyssey site it says 350g... I know its only 5g but the heavier the better... And will the 7 heads be all the same weight regardless of putter length? or are the 33-34in heavier? Thanks
[/quote]
The #7 is 350 and there is just one head weight per model in the White Hot Pro line. Sorry for any confusion.

[quote name='Odyssey PM' timestamp='1361202402' post='6451435']
[quote name='lefty91' timestamp='1361154870' post='6448901']
[/quote]

[/quote]
The #7 is 350 and there is just one head weight per model in the White Hot Pro line. Sorry for any confusion.
[/quote]

In your future releases, could you consider either manufacturing multiple headweights (I know it costs more), or just simply going with a weightier head? Even better, why not use the Odyssey Japan sole designs that allow for weight customization? Just some unsolicited feedback for my favorite putter company :)