The Golf Channel Amateur Tour

Evil R1

I'm curious if anyone here plays in this? I was thinking about playing in it this year, it seems like it could be fun but I wanted to know if other people thought it was worth the $$$? From what I understand, there is a $200 fee the join the tour and then there are entry fee's for each Tournament you attend.

I guess some issues I see about joining are that I have is that I currently don't have a USGA Handicap Index. Also, I would think this would be "Sandbagger's Heaven" as they play different index's. So most likely I will be playing against 17 handicapers that are really 8's (you get the idea).

Anyway, any input/expiriences would be great before I go running off and joining this.

Thanks,

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm curious if anyone here plays in this? I was thinking about playing in it this year, it seems like it could be fun but I wanted to know if other people thought it was worth the $$$? From what I understand, there is a $200 fee the join the tour and then there are entry fee's for each Tournament you attend.

I guess some issues I see about joining are that I have is that I currently don't have a USGA Handicap Index. Also, I would think this would be "Sandbagger's Heaven" as they play different index's. So most likely I will be playing against 17 handicapers that are really 8's (you get the idea).

Anyway, any input/expiriences would be great before I go running off and joining this.

Thanks,

I was looking at this as well and had the same question, from what I took is eventually you would have a tournament handicap based soley on tournament scores. A little harder to sandbag that :crazy:

From TGC site,

Membership to the Tour entitles players to compete head-to-head against other players at their same skill level. Players are divided amongst six flights based on an initial verifiable USGA Handicap Index®. In order to prevent 'sandbagging' all Tour members are eventually flighted by rounds played exclusively on the Golf Channel Amateur Tour.

I play on the Atlanta tour and have for three years now. The guys that run the Atlanta tour do a great job and will not tolerate sandbagging. There are rules in place to prevent it. I have run across a couple of guys who attempt to cheat on the course, but have always been busted trying and not gotten away with it. You might be able to sand bag the first tournament you play in, but that would be it. I have a great time and it is a ton of fun. It puts a whole new spin on a round of golf when you play by the rules with no gimmies and no do overs.

MM

• 1 month later...

I don't know about the other tours but here at the Atlanta tour, first place is a nice trophy, a gift certificate for a round of golf at that course if it is not a private course and then gift certificates depending on how many are in the flight. I played in the 4th flight last year and usually it paid 3 spots and first place was usually around $300 if I remember correctly. Also Srixon is a sponsor of the Atlanta tour so you always got a dozen Srixon golf balls for the winner. Before the Bellsouth Classic I think they had some tickets to it as part of the prizes.

There is also a side skin game which if you can get some birdies can pay off big. That pays in cash since it is a side game.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

sstrool....I'm in the Montgomery/Dothan Tour, we just completed our 2nd event this weekend, and I would encourage you to join. I joined to play a different type of golf than I usually play (tournament golf), to play on courses I normally wouldn't play on and just to have a good time. I can't say I've played too well but I've had more fun doing it that the score didn't really matter to me afterwards.

I didn't have an official handicap when I joined but after speaking to the tour director he placed me where I estimated it to be and then will move me based on how I do. They're serious about sandbagging but I haven't heard of any problems in our region. The prizes vary somewhat, trophies, vases, little cash, gift certificates, it all depends on the number of entries. There are side games as well; skins or closest to the hole but nothing big where you would feel uncomfortable about the dollar amt.

In addition to the regular tour events there are a "majors" in Hilton Head & Orlando if you're a little more serious into it. Also, the past week or so it was announced that you can also play for a spot in an upcoming Big Break.

I gotta admit I'm having a good time and being in the south we could keep this going year around if the tour director has the stamina to keep going. Right now we're going from the end of Feb - Sept. That's a pretty full schedule to me, definitely worth the fee to join.

I've played this tour for the last 2 years and highly recommend it. This is the first year that TGC has sponsored so it should be even better. Don't stress the sandbagging thing. If anything we find more guys playing in flights that are way above their skill level. That's fine I don't mind beating more people.

If you travel you can play on other tours around the country. I did this last year when I was on a family vacation in Orlando (needed some non-Mouse time). I won the even t and it was cool carrying the trophy through the airport (it barely fit into a carry on, for those TSA agents).

I use it to prepare for other local amatuer events. But I've met a lot of great folks and really enjoy it. It's truly for everyone. And can really help focus you on getting better.

I can't say enough good things here. If anyone has any questions please PM me or post.

Are the events just flighted by 'cap or is it a "net" event?

I ask because I've learned not to play in "net" events. I don't mind flights by handicap...but when I'm giving up 10-12 shots on the first tee and the guy is more like a 6 than a 10 my odds are way way low.

Discuss.

They are flighted by handicap. No net events.