2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Seattle Area Visit - Argh...CB aerifying May 8 & 9 - CLOSED!

dannytmc

EDIT: Well, looking to fill the CB void...oh well.

In for a conference May 7-9 and will be staying downtown, right by the convention center. Will rent a car have time for 2 rounds and wondered what the best options were. I've read that the Seattle muni's are a good value as well as being decent courses. I'm willing to drive upwards of an hour to get in the "PNW golf experience" that is absent from the east coast.

Any and all recommendations are welcome, as well as playing partners and advice.

Will Chambers be worth the drive, time to play the round, and expense given the less than stellar reviews I have been reading (specifically to the greens)?

TIA!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Chambers might be worth a look just because it is Chambers and will hold up the best if it has been wet. It is unlike anything else in this region (besides Bandon) and is not what to expect from your standard PNW golf. I picture PNW golf as those with tree lined fairways. The Seattle Munis are easily accessible and will run about $35. If I had just one of the munis to chose from, I would go with West Seattle. the first 14 holes are great but the last 4 are kinda stacked closely. Not too bad though, but NO range to practice.
If you have a car and can drive an hour or so, I would check out Suncadia's RopeRider or Prospector. It is just over an hour drive (depending how fast you drive) and I think would be well worth the trip. Newcastle's CoalCreek has got some great views of the city (on a nice day), pretty well cared for, but a little pricey.

PRGR 2015 (Red)Egg 10*/ Muziik Bangvoo Premium 240cpm
TEE XCG6 4w /Muziik Bangvoo Premium 260cpm (tipped 1/4")
PRGR 2015 (Red) Egg 5Ut 23*/ AXE hybrid stiff
2015 OnOff Kuro 4-PW/ Modus3 120s
Yururi Gekku 53*(bent 52) and 57* (bent 58)/  Nippon Modus3 125 Wedge
Slighter FPR Portland/ Yamada Emperor2/ Epon I-33/Hiro Mz-18

[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1366585031' post='6889383']
I think Chambers might be worth a look just because it is Chambers and will hold up the best if it has been wet. It is unlike anything else in this region (besides Bandon) and is not what to expect from your standard PNW golf. I picture PNW golf as those with tree lined fairways. The Seattle Munis are easily accessible and will run about $35. If I had just one of the munis to chose from, I would go with West Seattle. the first 14 holes are great but the last 4 are kinda stacked closely. Not too bad though, but NO range to practice.
If you have a car and can drive an hour or so, I would check out Suncadia's RopeRider or Prospector. It is just over an hour drive (depending how fast you drive) and I think would be well worth the trip. Newcastle's CoalCreek has got some great views of the city (on a nice day), pretty well cared for, but a little pricey.
[/quote]
Oh duh... how could I forget Washington National and Druid's Glen. Both are great PNW tracks and within an hour of DT. And do track down Uncle Seth's cookie. And if we are talking about food, I always take out-of-towners for Dim Sum (if you like that kinda stuff). Lots of good choices in the International Dist.

[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1366585406' post='6889403']
[quote name='Dr. Shankenstein' timestamp='1366585031' post='6889383']
[/quote]
Oh duh... how could I forget Washington National and Druid's Glen. Both are great PNW tracks and within an hour of DT. And do track down Uncle Seth's cookie. And if we are talking about food, I always take out-of-towners for Dim Sum (if you like that kinda stuff). Lots of good choices in the International Dist.
[/quote]

Thanks for the great suggestions. I think I'll be able to get in 2 rounds and will likely play one of the Seattle munis, but then again, I have been known to drive an hour or so to play a good course. Would you say that for out of towners, CB is a 'must play'? Kind of like if you're in metro NY or San Diego that Bethpage and Torrey Pines are 'must plays', respectively?

I wonder if there are any good coffee places in the area.... ;-)

If you want to play a muni course, it has to be West Seattle otherwise you're wasting your time.

"Must Play" in the metro Seattle area is Chambers Bay. Then I'd say Washington National and New Castle Coal Creek (based on the views alone) are a distant 2nd and 3rd.

Play West Seattle, then head to Chambers if you have time for the ~1hour drive out there. If not, drive to New Castle instead.

Thanks all for the excellent recommendations. It seems like CB will be on the menu for one of the days. Then it may be a coin flip between West Seattle and Washington National, depending on time constraints and weather... hopefully, I will not have to pack rain gear.

If anyone is free for a round (or 2), please feel free to PM. I'm always game for playing with fellow WRX'ers.

Must plays for me would be Chambers Bay (twilight for April is $45 or $55 in May). Salish Cliffs, a bit of a drive but well worth it (pristine fairways and greens). For muni's I actually prefer Jefferson Park over West (Jefferson is where F. Couples grew up playing, may not have the scenic view the 12th at West has but it is by far the best kept and driest of the Seattle Muni's).

If you're willing to take the ferry across the sound there are a couple of hidden gems like Trophy Lakes, McCormick Woods (Ryan Moore family owned), Gold Mountain (Olympic Course), and White Horse (Dye design). I know White Horse is punching today and will be offering $25 play all day w/ cart rates for this week, I'm going on Weds hehe. The pro shop claim to have a new aerater that punches pin hole size marks into the green that only take 1 week to heal.

TM M1 460 10.5° .::. MRC Tensei CK Blue 6S
Adams XTD Ti 15° .::. Matrix 7Q3 S
TM R15 Black 19° .::. Fujikura Motore Speeder 8.1 S (tipped 2")
Bridgestone Airmuscle 2i 19° .::. PX HD2
Tourstage X Blade 709 CB 4i .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Tourstage X Blade 909 Ltd 5-PW .::. Nippon Modus 3 125S tipped 1/2"
Bridgestone J15 Black Ox 52°/58° .::. DG Onyx S400
Piretti 'Tour Only' Cortino II w/ Matrix U11-P01 Proto
Piretti 'Cortino LN' Long Neck Tour Ltd
Piretti Teramo CS
Bridgestone *B* Tour 330
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1059465-bpark1210-witb-bridgestone-pic-heavy/page__pid__9832393#entry9832393"]WITB Link[/url]

The recommendations are good here. I would say if you want a true northwest golf experience, Chambers (even though I haven't played there yet! still!) and take a ferry to Gold Mountain (lots of elevation, lots of trees, good example of a Western Washington course) if you have more time than to just play West Seattle. I live up the road from West Seattle but it's just an okay course but definitely the best Seattle muni. In fact, I'm playing West Seattle tomorrow for the first time in nearly a year, I save it for when I have time constraints and only during the day on weekdays, I can't do 5 hr rounds! Good practice green though, I'm there all the time.

Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
Ping Vault Anser 2

oh, and Coffee... You can't go wrong with Victrola, Zoka, Lighthouse, Slate, Vivace, Herkimer, Vita, or Stumptown.

Ping G410 9 degree Fujikura Fuel Tour Spec 60X
Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 3 wood Project X HZRDUS Yellow 75x
Srixon Z U65 18 GD Tour AD 95X
Honma 737vn 5-10 DG S400 AMT Tour Issue, 737P 4 iron 
Cleveland RTX4 Raw 60/6, 56/10, 52/10 DG S400 Tour Issue
Ping Vault Anser 2

[quote name='RJfisher' timestamp='1366906249' post='6915857']
If you want to play a muni course, it has to be West Seattle otherwise you're wasting your time.

"Must Play" in the metro Seattle area is Chambers Bay. Then I'd say Washington National and New Castle Coal Creek (based on the views alone) are a distant 2nd and 3rd.

Play West Seattle, then head to Chambers if you have time for the ~1hour drive out there. If not, drive to New Castle instead.
[/quote]

I like these two also IF we this what you are looking for. Chambers seem to fit what you might think the PNW experience is (different from the Eastcoast) but please understand, CB is far from the norm around here. There has been nothing like it or even close to it ever in the Greater Seattle area.

WS is by far the best local Muni so you are looking for a good old Muni near by, this is it. If you can get on a local Country Club, to me this is what PNW golf is really about. Resort style course's have not been around long here in the Seattle area, but have made their nitch over the recent years, but The Country Clubs are the Kings of PNW style course's and should be like many wooded Eastcoast course, each unique to their environment but similar.

I would suggest CB for sure, and Gold Mountain as the other based on the course and the scenery by getting there from DT Seattle.
Either catch the Bremerton Ferry from DT Seattle, or catch the Fountleroy ferry from West Seattle over to the course. If your crazy, play West Seattle in the morning and hit the ferry over to Port Orchard and play Gold Mountain in the afternoon and then catch the Bremerton Ferry back to DT Seattle with a possible sunset or with DT Seattle all lite up!

I Guarantee that would be a true PNW Experience that you will telling your Eastcoast buddies about!

If you had another small window, I would have to include a visit to Newcastle to hit balls and have bite to eat or to just enjoy a Happy Hour to enjoy the view! Make sure that you hit balls on the back range. It will a premium at $30 an hour, but worth it!

Well, the best laid out plans of mice and men....

As it turned out, I only got to play once. Whoever said these work conventions were just boondoggles, must have not counted this one. I did utilize the Interbay Golf Center twice during my visit, in lieu of getting to the course. It is a very nice facility with exceptional rates after 8pm. Plus, it was no more than a 10 minute ride.

It was a game time decision and the only round I was going to play was Washington National. Strong consideration was given to West Seattle, but given my situation and Chambers Bay being out of commission, WN won out. I'm glad I made that decision as the course was really exceptional, from tee to green. When I checked into the pro shop, they informed me that my playing partners were coaches from the Mariners. A good group of guys, one of which put on a Smoltz-like performance. Easily 270-280 off the tee and probably shot 2-3 over. Think he was in his mid-late 50s.

A course which allows you to hit driver, but at the same time requires some course management (i.e. #7, a 299 yard par 4 that I went bunker to bunker, 2 putt for a smooth 5 - ugh). A good mix of holes which allows you to hit most of the clubs in your bag. The last course I played on the west coast was Harding Park (post-renovation) and I would put WN way ahead of HP, at more than half the cost.

Did have breakfast once at Portage Bay... highly recommended! Dinner was a lot of steak, but did manage a night at Wild Ginger. Excellent as well.

Next visit, I'll put CB on the schedule along with 36 at Gold Mountain. May even try out the Pink Cookie.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

WA Nat'l is always a solid pick. Glad you had a great time. May is sometimes hit and miss when it comes to weather but it has been just beautiful here in the PNW.

[quote name='dannytmc' timestamp='1368592439' post='7038200']
Well, the best laid out plans of mice and men....

As it turned out, I only got to play once. Whoever said these work conventions were just boondoggles, must have not counted this one. I did utilize the Interbay Golf Center twice during my visit, in lieu of getting to the course. It is a very nice facility with exceptional rates after 8pm. Plus, it was no more than a 10 minute ride.

It was a game time decision and the only round I was going to play was Washington National. Strong consideration was given to West Seattle, but given my situation and Chambers Bay being out of commission, WN won out. I'm glad I made that decision as the course was really exceptional, from tee to green. When I checked into the pro shop, they informed me that my playing partners were coaches from the Mariners. A good group of guys, one of which put on a Smoltz-like performance. Easily 270-280 off the tee and probably shot 2-3 over. Think he was in his mid-late 50s.

A course which allows you to hit driver, but at the same time requires some course management (i.e. #7, a 299 yard par 4 that I went bunker to bunker, 2 putt for a smooth 5 - ugh). A good mix of holes which allows you to hit most of the clubs in your bag. The last course I played on the west coast was Harding Park (post-renovation) and I would put WN way ahead of HP, at more than half the cost.

Did have breakfast once at Portage Bay... highly recommended! Dinner was a lot of steak, but did manage a night at Wild Ginger. Excellent as well.

Next visit, I'll put CB on the schedule along with 36 at Gold Mountain. May even try out the Pink Cookie.

Thanks again for all the help guys.
[/quote]

Was his name Sott maybe?