Going to Pinehurst this weekend

rmbr2

Advice needed
Guys,

I am heading down to Pinehurst this weekend to visit some relatives that just moved there. They are so new to the area that they haven't had a chance to play any of the courses. Through his job we have a connection with the resort and I was wondering if any of you have played courses either at Pinehurst Resort or at courses in the surrounding areas?

Any help/reviews would be great.

Thanks,

Rich

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

1st, stay warm, its supposed to be cold this weekend. A great majority of the courses in the area are worth playing. They need to be kept because of the competition around there. Legacy Golf Links is a fun course that has hosted the Womens Amateur Public Links. Mid Pines Resort has a great course. At Pinehurst itself #2, of course, #7 and #8 are also great courses with more "friendly" greens. Hope this helps....

George

Pine Needles is one of my favorite tracks down there. Tough to go wrong. If you can get on one of the resort courses - great. Mid-pines is pretty nice. There are so many places to play there that are nice. CC of NC is private and wonderful - it kind of depends on whre they live / where you're staying. Great place - VERY low key. Great little golf shop in town for art and different stuff like that...

Guys,

I am heading down to Pinehurst this weekend to visit some relatives that just moved there. They are so new to the area that they haven't had a chance to play any of the courses. Through his job we have a connection with the resort and I was wondering if any of you have played courses either at Pinehurst Resort or at courses in the surrounding areas?

Thanks,

Rich

Pinehurst and the Triangle are like my second home, and I used to live there. Coco has summed it up pretty well. Of course I'm sure you'll want to play No. 2. Depending on how good your family's connections are still be prepared to pay a hefty price, just to get on it. If you've got THE connection and get comped then by all means enjoy it. Usually it's a $325 round plus the cost of the resort the night before. They will usually take walkons on any course but that one.

Tobacco road is a can't miss ifyou have the chance, it's about 30 minutes up the road. I love No. 2 don't get me wrong, but I'd pay to play Pine Needles and Mid Pines over paying No. 2. However, if it's likely you won't ever get down there again, then go ahead for No. 2 and take a caddie. It's a shame to play that course and not take a caddie, its a very very easy walk.

I also liked Anderson Creek, Legacy Golf Links, and Pinewild.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Guys,

Thanks,

Rich

Pinehurst and the Triangle are like my second home, and I used to live there. Coco has summed it up pretty well. Of course I'm sure you'll want to play No. 2. Depending on how good your family's connections are still be prepared to pay a hefty price, just to get on it. If you've got THE connection and get comped then by all means enjoy it. Usually it's a $325 round plus the cost of the resort the night before. They will usually take walkons on any course but that one.

Tobacco road is a can't miss ifyou have the chance, it's about 30 minutes up the road. I love No. 2 don't get me wrong, but I'd pay to play Pine Needles and Mid Pines over paying No. 2. However, if it's likely you won't ever get down there again, then go ahead for No. 2 and take a caddie. It's a shame to play that course and not take a caddie, its a very very easy walk.

I also liked Anderson Creek, Legacy Golf Links, and Pinewild.

Thanks to everyone that replied. My hookup only gets us on as a guest of a member so no freebees. This will be first trip of many so I think I will hold off on #2 until the temps are higher than the low-mid 50s.

I have played Mid-Pines, 5 years ago, so that one is out too.

I think we are going to try to play one of the other resort courses at Pinehurst on Sat and then Pine Needles on Sunday. I have now heard alot of good things about Pine Needles so I am pretty intrigued.

I love the town of Pinehurst, it is really great and sooo laid back. I need a job down there!!!

Thanks again guys!

- Rich

Other resort courses that are good are in order of preference 8, 6 & 7. I haven't played 4 yet. You can't go wrong with Pine Needles. Good call on No. 2 and the weather, you want to enjoy it, not survive it for that price.

Also for a good meal you gotta try the Pinecrest Inn if you haven't before. The pork chop is world famous for it's size.

I'm actually in the process of trying to get back down there as well with my job. I'm not sorry I left at the time I needed to move for career reasons, but would love to get back now.

Vokey

Pinecrest Inn? Where is that? There are so many Inns down there I get them confused.

My relative just moved to the neighborhood on #6 and he seems to hear that #8 is the best of the courses besides #2. But again, maybe we wait for better weather on that one too. SOOO many choices.

Thinking it might be cool to play #1 or #3 b/c they are older and you leave from the main pro-shop. The are a bit cheaper and would probably be a good way to start at PH.

Pine Needles is a done deal, tee time is made!!

Thanks

Pinecrest Inn? Where is that? There are so many Inns down there I get them confused.

My relative just moved to the neighborhood on #6 and he seems to hear that #8 is the best of the courses besides #2. But again, maybe we wait for better weather on that one too. SOOO many choices.

Thinking it might be cool to play #1 or #3 b/c they are older and you leave from the main pro-shop. The are a bit cheaper and would probably be a good way to start at PH.

Pine Needles is a done deal, tee time is made!!

Thanks

It (Pinecrest Inn) is right in the Village. You can walk to it from the main resort. It's one of those things, I could drive right to it now, but not tell you how to get there. Even though the village is very small, I don't know alot of the names of the streets.

I think you have a good idea about no. 3 and 5. Obviously not the premium courses, but still something neat about beginnng and ending at the main clubhouse. Plus this time of year, I'm sure you'd get a great price on them.

Enjoy Pine Needles, remember to take good mental notes on where you hit each shot on each hole. Then while you are watching the womens' open this summer yo can say...OH I played that shot earlier this year. Kind of neat to do that. Or you can say..OHHHH that's where you're supposed to ht it :drinks:

Vokey