Puerto Rico Golf

Bandy1080

Going to be staying at the Wyndham for five days in early March.

Looking at getting in a bunch of rounds while there.

Looks like they have two courses the River and the Ocean course. Any reviews?

And the Trump International course is right down the road so I might try that out as well.

Any other recommendations for courses in that area?

I'm in PR as we speak. The eastern part of the island where you are headed has gotten 16 inches of rain since thanksgiving. I played Trump int first and had tee times booked for Wyndham and Dorado. After playing Trump int I canceled all my other rounds due to course saturation. It was cart path only and you literally would sink into the fairways. The head pro said dorado would be 'worse' than Trump.

With that said, if it's dry in march I still don't think the trump championship course warrants a 185 dollar green fee. We were able to pay the non advertised, non refundable rate of 95 per player. The 185 gets you a 'free' rain check. The math is odd. If you can pay the 95 and it's dry it would be worth it.

In talking to the pro the only course that was dry on the entire island was in the town of Ponce. Not sure the name.

If I come back in December I won't bring my clubs again due to the condition of the course.

• 2 weeks later...

[size=3][color=#000000]I just came from Puerto Rico where I spent 2 weeks. Before my trip I didn't know that, but my family there ratified to me that every December is very rainy in the north side of the island. I tried the southern courses then, as every course in the north was unplayable. Here are my key points (prices are approximate, as my uncle paid:[/color]

[color=#000000]- Caguas Real. Is in the city of Caguas, a very short distance from San Juan. I would say is in the middle of the island and got a lot of rain. Even dry, I would say is the worst course I have ever played. Someone later told me the course is near closing. Paid around $35. Grade F.[/color]

[color=#000000]- Coamo. Better than Caguas, but not even close to US Muni courses. I disliked the layout and the attitude of the workers mowing the course. I can't recommend it. I paid close to $40. The nice thing about this is that besides the course they have a famous thermal waters spot, very well kept, and recommended. Grade F.[/color]

[color=#000000]- Club Deportivo del Oeste in the town of Cabo Rojo. They say is private, but allow every paying customer. Paid around $35. Is a very narrow and very short course (think less than 6,000 yds). I really liked the layout, the way the curse was being watered, even if is by the sea. And it can be challenging. If you have the time after the round, go to a restaurant called "El Gatito", and the whole experience would merit a B. Otherwise, a C. The near beach is not very good.[/color]

[color=#000000]- El Legado (formerly sponsor/owned by Chi Chi Rodriguez). The course fell in bad times, bankruptcy, and was recently acquired by someone else. The day I went, they were just 4 days using a group of new golf carts, the good kind of golf carts. The layout would be 8/10 but the greens are the better I have seen in Puerto Rico, fast, undulated and spotless. Because the land is very dry, your drives will roll a lot.I payed $57 per person on a Saturday. I will give this course a B, and with the finishing of a new clubhouse (very nice building I saw) and some more TLC, I am sure next December, for Puerto Rico standards, this can be an A.[/color]

[color=#000000]- Costa Caribe. This is the course in the city of Ponce, and less than half an hour from El Legado. I was told it was built by the guy who helped Tom Kite at Trump International. Is pure Caribbean golf, with 27 holes by the sea, and winds can get easily, after 11am, over 20mph. I liked the price too, as we paid $55 per person. The best course of my trip. Has an island green, where facing the wind I had to take 3 clubs over to get. It has really nice villas around it, in case you need to rent. F[/color][color=#000000]or Puerto Rico standards, this is an A-.[/color]

[color=#000000]Some notes to take into account:[/color]

[color=#000000]- The courses are not to the level of the top 2 or 3 in the northern side of the island, but the prices and the fact it rains way less in the south elevate their grade. Plus, I like semidry courses (like comparing Arizona to Florida courses). The food in the small towns is cheap and fresh. Go to tripadvisor for more recommendations on this.[/color]

[color=#000000]-T[/color][color=#000000]he island is very small, highly populated, and if you stay in San Juan, traffic can be very, very bad. So, even if you think you can go from RioMar to Ponce in a day and back, leave early. [/color]

[color=#000000]- Golf courses there are not to the level of the Dominican Republic, and neither are the beaches (by far). Those are the main cons, but the advantage is that you are in the US. Remember they speak spanish, and try not to rent a car, is always 10 times better to rent a driver, especially if you go with a group.[/color][/size]

Cobra F9, 8 Hzrdus Yellow
Tee CBX119 13, Tee EX10 Beta 18. Hzrdus Yellow
M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Scotty Cameron Mil Spec 350 Black Oxide
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Just made some tee times.

Hotel guests get a reduced rate at both courses of $150. So I booked a couple of early tee times on the ocean and the river course. I hear the ocean is better.

Then I am splurging a little and playing Bahia Beach one day @ $275 a round.

Also I asked about twilight rate and the Wyndham has a twilight rate of $100 and you can play til dark. The woman on the phone said you can usually get in more than 18 holes if you are first off at 2.

The River Course is a Greg Norman design, much longer than the Ocean Course designed by Tom and George Fazio. Always check golfnow.com for prices. Call the Rio Mar golf club directly and ask for prices for general people and when you get an answer then ask for prices for hotel guests.

Bahia Beach is usually in perfect condition but expensive. The Trump course will be in good condition because the PGA Tour will be playing The Puerto Rico Open in early March (6-9).

Another course in that area that is usually in good condition is the Arthur Hills designed El Conquistador Golf Club at the El Conquistador Resort (very hilly and not long!).

But the best course used to be the Dorado Beach East Course designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. Some cosmetic changes and new tees were done by Robert Trent Jones JR. a couple of years ago. There are 4 golf courses at Dorado Beach (1 of them is close during new hotel rooms construction). The East course is the one you want to play in Dorado. Not close to that Rio Grande area at all but worth the trip if conditions are good (no rain). Actually at Dorado it rains half as much as it does at Rio Mar and Trump specially Rio Mar which are located right at the footsteps of the El Yunque rainforest, it rains a LOT in that area).

Royal Isabela is even farther than Dorado but worth the looooong trip from the Rio Grande area (depending on traffic could be 2.5 to 3 hours each way).

My ranking of the best Golf Courses in PR [b]FROM THE BACK TEES[/b] is:

The first 3 could be number one depending on the conditions you play them (wind, hard or soft running fairways, rain and/or overall course conditions)

1. Trump (Championship Course, Tom Kite design. PGA Tour doesn't even play all the back tees).
2. Royal Isabela (links style golf with awesome scenery and greenside bunkers).
3. Dorado Beach (East Course, Robert Trent Jones Sr.).
4. Rio Mar (River Course, Greg Norman).
5. Palmas del Mar Golf Club (Flamboyan Course, designed by Reese Jones). Sadly this course hasn't been in good shape in the last couple of years.
6. Bahia Beach (Robert Trent Jones JR).
7. El Legado Golf Course (Chi Chi Rodriguez).
8. Dorado Beach (West course if it re-opens after construction with the same holes, very doubtful! Robert Trent Jones Sr.).
8. Dorado Beach (Plantation - Sugarcane and/or Pineapple Courses, Robert Trent Jones Sr. and some new holes by Raymond Floyd).
9. Rio Mar (Ocean Course, Fazio)
10. Costa Caribe (Tarpon-Island combination nines, Bruce A. Besse Jr.).

[quote name='JCA' timestamp='1391707743' post='8609989']
The River Course is a Greg Norman design, much longer than the Ocean Course designed by Tom and George Fazio. Always check golfnow.com for prices. Call the Rio Mar golf club directly and ask for prices for general people and when you get an answer then ask for prices for hotel guests.

Bahia Beach is usually in perfect condition but expensive. The Trump course will be in good condition because the PGA Tour will be playing The Puerto Rico Open in early March (6-9).

Another course in that area that is usually in good condition is the Arthur Hills designed El Conquistador Golf Club at the El Conquistador Resort (very hilly and not long!).

But the best course used to be the Dorado Beach East Course designed by Robert Trent Jones Sr. Some cosmetic changes and new tees were done by Robert Trent Jones JR. a couple of years ago. There are 4 golf courses at Dorado Beach (1 of them is close during new hotel rooms construction). The East course is the one you want to play in Dorado. Not close to that Rio Grande area at all but worth the trip if conditions are good (no rain). Actually at Dorado it rains half as much as it does at Rio Mar and Trump specially Rio Mar which are located right at the footsteps of the El Yunque rainforest, it rains a LOT in that area).

Royal Isabela is even farther than Dorado but worth the looooong trip from the Rio Grande area (depending on traffic could be 2.5 to 3 hours each way).

The first 3 could be number one depending on the conditions you play them (wind, hard or soft running fairways, rain and/or overall course conditions)

1. Trump (Championship Course, Tom Kite design. PGA Tour doesn't even play all the back tees).
5. Palmas del Mar Golf Club (Flamboyan Course, designed by Reese Jones). Sadly this course hasn't been in good shape in the last couple of years.
8. Dorado Beach (West course if it re-opens after construction with the same holes, very doubtful! Robert Trent Jones Sr.).
8. Dorado Beach (Plantation - Sugarcane and/or Pineapple Courses, Robert Trent Jones Sr. and some new holes by Raymond Floyd).
[/quote]

Appreciate your review of the courses. I visited the ones in the south due to the rain in December. What would you think will be the best non rainy months to plan?

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1152161-linkerpans-wtib-2015-edition/"]WITB Link[/url]

[quote name='linkerpan' timestamp='1391714969' post='8610713']
[quote name='JCA' timestamp='1391707743' post='8609989']

[/quote]

Appreciate your review of the courses. I visited the ones in the south due to the rain in December. What would you think will be the best non rainy months to plan?
[/quote]

These are general guides because in PR it can rain any month for days or it can just be dry, the sure bet would be the south part of the island:

San Juan area towards Dorado and Isabela: January-March, June-August
Rio Grande Area (Rio Mar & Trump): January-April, September, October (these area in the foothills of El Yunque rainforest can receive rain in the afternoons but depending on the wind direction it can escape the ocean front golf courses (Trump Championship, Rio Mar Ocean and Bahia).

• 3 weeks later...

Tried to get on Trump but it is closed until 3/11 which is when I leave to come back.

FYI - if you book on ezlinks.com they have a daily deal at Bahia Beach for 45% off the tee time. Its usually at 10am or 12pm but a heck of a deal if you can snag it.

And lastly - if you stay at the Wyndham, you can use the practice facilities at the club as much as you want, its a perk of staying at the hotel.

• 11 months later...

Heading down tomorrow to the south part of the island. Looking to get 3 rounds in during the week. Is trump worth the dough to play. i am going to be playing costa caribe as I will be on that side of the island. any other suggestions will be helpful. dont necessarily want to break the bank but anxious to hit the clubs as I havent been on a course since the snow hit in November.

In the bag (for now)

[color=#ff8c00]PIng G (Bubba Pink)[/color]
Taylormade M2 4 iron
Maxfli A 10 Tour limited 4- PW
Cleveland Rotex 2.0 Cb 50, 56, 60
[color=#ff0000]Scotty Cameron Circle T Golo[/color]

[quote name='guy9999' timestamp='1423327177' post='10905855']
Heading down tomorrow to the south part of the island. Looking to get 3 rounds in during the week. Is trump worth the dough to play. i am going to be playing costa caribe as I will be on that side of the island. any other suggestions will be helpful. dont necessarily want to break the bank but anxious to hit the clubs as I havent been on a course since the snow hit in November.
[/quote]

El Legado is very close also. Remember to use sunscreen!

M2 Hy, 22 with AD DI 85S
M2 Hy, 25 with S+ 90S
P790 6-AW, Nippon 105S
Mizuno 56/14, 60/07
Titleist -ProV1 balls

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

El Conquistador or Bahia Beach?

Heading down to San Juan Thursday - Tuesday. It looks like I can play either El Conquistador or Bahia Beach for about $120. Would you guys recommend one over the other? Bahia is like 30 minutes closer, so I'm sort of leaning towards that course. But, if I'm spending that much for a round, I'd be willing to drive a little further for a better experience.

Ping G driver, stock whatever stiff it comes with. Been crushing it long & straight recently (i.e., 255 and only a 20 yard hook)
913F 15*, DIamana kaI'LI 75 S
19* 913H
Ping S56 4-PW
Vokey 52.07, illegal cleveland 55.10; vokey 59.07;
old rusty scotty blade something-or-other
Glove on left hand.

Just thought I'd throw out a little update for anyone planning on visiting:

Played the River and Ocean courses at Rio Mar on Sunday. Great weather, a few spectacular views, decent conditions, overall good courses. A few of the greens were sort of beat, but all in all I have no complaints. I suggest the Ocean course for two reasons. First, the 16th hole is one I'll always remember- going parallel to the beach with only a thin line of a few trees between you and the sand. Second, it seemed to be in better condition (but that's mainly because two of the greens on the river course were borderline unputtable due to sand/flooding). Luckily I had met a member the day before on a little boat trip, and he agreed to bring me out as a guest for $55. I would probably have paid the $150 sticker price to play a round, but doubt I could justify dropping $300 on 36.

Ping G driver, stock whatever stiff it comes with. Been crushing it long & straight recently (i.e., 255 and only a 20 yard hook)
913F 15*, DIamana kaI'LI 75 S
19* 913H
Ping S56 4-PW
Vokey 52.07, illegal cleveland 55.10; vokey 59.07;
old rusty scotty blade something-or-other
Glove on left hand.

• 4 weeks later...

I am actually heading to Puerto Rico on Sunday and playing Trump Championship course on 4/13 and Bahia on 4/15 based on your reviews above. Thanks! I chose Bahia because of the deal on teeoff.com for $130 at 9:30am (which is actually when I was looking to play).

Has anyone played either more recently then a month ago? Did I make the right choice at Bahia (I was going to play Dorado East otherwise).

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I am actually heading to Puerto Rico on Sunday and playing Trump Championship course on 4/13 and Bahia on 4/15 based on your reviews above. Thanks! I chose Bahia because of the deal on teeoff.com for $130 at 9:30am (which is actually when I was looking to play).

Has anyone played either more recently then a month ago? Did I make the right choice at Bahia (I was going to play Dorado East otherwise).

Thanks!

I'm from PR and I play alot in Dorado since a buddy of mine is a member. Never played the East course but people tell me it's one, if not the best, course in the island. I've played in Bahia and fell in love with the course. Went there at 8am on the week and it was desolate and very nice. Greens were a pain(fast).

• 2 months later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 3 years later...

Trump is now Grand Reserve. I see there are 2 courses at Grand Reserve, the International Course and the Championship Course, where the PGA Tour Puerto Rico Open is played.

I am in Rio Grande Puerto Rico now. 
Where do you recommend to play out of Wyndham River Course, Bahia or Grand Reserve?

I have a coupon code on GolfNow “COMEBACK23” for 23% off, and it worked so went ahead and booked Grand Reserve. 
I can play one other time while here…do I play River Course or Bahia?

thanks in advance 

• 6 months later...

Has anyone played in PR lately? I'm going there for two weeks at the end of February and looking to play six rounds of golf. We are going to drive around the island and stay at a couple of different locations but for most of the time we are going to be based on the east coast. I'm not looking for the most demanding courses as my drives can be very wayward. What I am mostly looking for are scenic views, good overall condition and value for money.

- Bahia Beach is the only round I've reserved so far
- Another more expensive round could be at Grand Reserve's Champion course (where they'll play the PGA Tour event in the beginning of March) or TPC Dorado Beach's East course. Any opinions on which would be better?

- I've thought about playing Punta Borinquen and El Legado to get the average round cost down

- Royal Isabela for some reason doesn't really entice me

- For the remaining rounds there's a battle between Palmas Del Mar, Wyndham Rio Mar and El Conquistador. Any ideas on which of these would suit me best?

Overall if you have any tips on anything related to golfing in PR, I'd be extremely grateful for hearing about them. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Travelled to PR last year in late April  - we played Bahia Beach and really enjoyed it.  Nice and open off the tee, really good conditions.  The whole place is pretty much immaculate.  Great views on a couple of holes late in the back 9, one hole runs right along the beach.  You should have a great time there!

• Like 1

TSR2 10 Ventus Blue velocore  6S
Paradym Ai Smoke 3D  Ventus Red velocore 7S
Apex '21 19 + 21  GD ADDI 85S
MP20 HMB 5-P Steelfiber S 110
SM9 50F, 55M, 60K Steelfiber S 95
Toulon Chicago

• 1 month later...

I ended up playing five different courses: Rio Mar Ocean course, Punta Borinquen, Costa Caribe, El Conquistador and Bahia Beach (twice). A couple of notes from each in case someone is interested.

Rio Mar Ocean course:

- in a relatively good condition overall

- nothing spectacular when it comes to the layout or views, only one hole (a par 3) is next to the ocean

- value for money okayish

Punta Borinquen:

- having never played in the US before, this was my first public course experience

- fairways were sometimes as long as rough, bunkers were quite horrible as were some parts of some of the greens

- the saving grace was definitely that about 15 holes had a view to the Caribbean sea which I enjoyed a lot

- green fee was $55 (plus taxes) including a cart so despite the condition leaving a lot to be desired, I felt value for money was still there

Costa Caribe:

- bunkers were the worst that I've ever seen, kind of like rock hard gravel pits with some bigger stones thrown in for good measure

- other than bunkers the course was in a relatively good condition

- A couple of drivable par 4s kept things interesting

- Green fee was very cheap (around $80 including taxes, range balls and cart) so value for money was good

El Conquistador:

- in good condition overall

- lots of elevation changes unlike on any of the other courses that I played

- a tougher test than the previous courses

- green fee was $155 (plus taxes) including a cart and I think it was good value for money

Bahia Beach:

- immaculate is the first word that comes to mind

- layout was not perhaps the most memorable but nothing to complain either

- lots of water hazards throughout and great views towards the ocean near the end of the round

- green fee was $239 ($179 when starting at 2.00 PM or after) plus taxes including cart so this was by far the most expensive course that I played but it still felt it was worth it