2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Ping Tour W Black Nickel Chrome wedges Pics

hull17rw

Ordered them 2 months ago, just arrived today!
Finally my new Ping Tour W wedges came in today. I ordered them 2 months ago. It was worth the wait they look amazing and I cannot wait to hit these. The face is milled and has very fine mill marks on the face, it is too light to capture with my camera but they are there. I ordered the 54*/10 and 60*/8 Orange Dot and ZZ-65 steel. The compact heads set up real good, I posted pictures of SW mainly and one shot of the LW. I will update once I get to hit these. By the way the shop has not received their order yet and they are a massive outfit here in So. Cal. The pictures are not perfect but enjoy!

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice. I am looking forward to the follow-up on how they play. Btw, what were your old wedges these replaced?

I will update and I can't wait to hit these beauties. I played the Ping Tour wedges Black Nickel chrome in 56*/14 and 60*/8, orange dot with Ping WRX Dynamic Gold shafts. I played those for a year or so and before that it was the same but black dots and ZZ-65 shafts pretty much off the rack.

They look good - too bad the club heads are not made in the USA as with the I10s, G10s, S58s, and even the I Wedge.

TaylorMade SIM D 10.5 Project X Riptide CB 50
TaylorMade SIM D 3 16 Fwy Project X Riptide 60
TaylorMade SIM D 3 Max Rescue 3 19 Ventus

Callaway Rogue Hybrids 4,5 Aldila Synergy
Callaway CF16, 6-PW TT XP95
Callaway X Forged 50-12 / 55-15 C grind / 60.9 C grind
TaylorMade / Balboa / Rossa Maranello / Bettinardi BB34
TaylorMade Burner TP LDP / TP5x
Ogio Ozone / Edge / Nexos

Those look incredible...even better than on PING's site. At first when they were announced, I wasn't sure I liked them, but even from your fuzzy pics, they've grown on me a lot! Can you give us a review after you hit them (feel, flight, forgiveness) - as well as some higher res pics ;) ? The pics on their website just don't do them justice.

thanks!

^m9

TITLEIST TSR2 / TENSEI AV BLUE XLINK 65S

TM SIM2 Ti / MOTORE X F3 7S

PING G430 / 3H 4H TOUR 2.0 CHROME 85S

PING i230 / 5-PW MODUS 115S

TITLEIST SM9 / 50F 54D 58D S200

TITLEIST FLOWBACK 5 / SPECIAL SELECT

Well everyone I hit them today on the Range and I must say they are really a solid wedge. The feel is very good and crisp and the flight was lower than most wedges but more of a Medium trajectory, my previous wedges the Ping Tour tended to really keep the ball flight down which I never liked. With my older Ping Tour wedges I would catch it solid but they would drift 5-10 yards right, but the contact was good. These I don't have this problem, I don't know if it's the Tungsten toe weight but these do not hit that push. I like the feel with the ZZ-65 shaft, It's a good pick for this wedge and I didn't want to try the AWT shafts in my wedges though they are good in my i10's. This is what we have all been looking for a newer modern looking Ping with all the new technology. Tungsten weight, Precision milled face and the tuning port is smaller. I may be playing these for some time.

Those look incredible...even better than on PING's site. At first when they were announced, I wasn't sure I liked them, but even from your fuzzy pics, they've grown on me a lot! Can you give us a review after you hit them (feel, flight, forgiveness) - as well as some higher res pics ;) ? The pics on their website just don't do them justice.

thanks!

^m9

I apologize for the quality of the Pictures, I took them indoors at night and my camera is not great. I need to get a tripod. I hope until then the pictures at least gave everyone a look, though a little fuzzy. :russian_roulette:

How's the spin on short shots, I'm currently playing a 52/58 ping tour, I love the way you can open them up and lay flat, but I can spin the vokey's much better, I'm hoping these are the answer. Review on the spin mill. Thanks

P.S.....I agree with the drift to the right with the ping tours, but I think it could be the shafts, CS-Lite.

How's the spin on short shots, I'm currently playing a 52/58 ping tour, I love the way you can open them up and lay flat, but I can spin the vokey's much better, I'm hoping these are the answer. Review on the spin mill. Thanks

P.S.....I agree with the drift to the right with the ping tours, but I think it could be the shafts, CS-Lite.

Spin on these are good as well, though I have not hit them into greens yet but I have pitched them on the chipping green, the spin on my Ping Tours was always good but these are equal and maybe a touch better, even out of rough these would stop on the green 20 yard range. I cannot wait to play with these things. As far as the CS-lite shafts being the cause of the little push on the original Tour wedges I never played them in the CS-lite, I originally played them in the ZZ-65 before ordering them from the WRX with Dynamic Gold shafts, and the push shot was evident with both, when I would hit my Ping Eye 2 wedges straight as an arrow. I really like the look of these wedges, more refined and modern looking, are they the best Ping wedges ever, maybe for some. I still think the Ping Eye 2 coppers are the best with the square grooves and wide sole. I would be playing them now but I hit the SW so close to the LW on full swings because they are so close in Loft, plus they don't offer the low bounce option in the LW. I could always have someone grind them but I would never do that.

They look good - too bad the club heads are not made in the USA as with the I10s, G10s, S58s, and even the I Wedge.

Are they cast in China too? I thought the Black Nickel finish was applied in China on the Tour wedges, but they were cast here? Could that be the case with the Tour W's as well?

I always thought Ping did all castings in house and definetly all assembly. Maybe if they are cast in China, it could have something to do with the Tungsten toe weight? I am all for U.S.A. made and that is one reason I play Pings they are a great U.S.A company but then again these wedges are so good I really could care less right now. Hopefully they are made in U.S.A. not China.

Spin on these are good as well, though I have not hit them into greens yet but I have pitched them on the chipping green, the spin on my Ping Tours was always good but these are equal and maybe a touch better, even out of rough these would stop on the green 20 yard range. I cannot wait to play with these things. As far as the CS-lite shafts being the cause of the little push on the original Tour wedges I never played them in the CS-lite, I originally played them in the ZZ-65 before ordering them from the WRX with Dynamic Gold shafts, and the push shot was evident with both, when I would hit my Ping Eye 2 wedges straight as an arrow. I really like the look of these wedges, more refined and modern looking, are they the best Ping wedges ever, maybe for some. I still think the Ping Eye 2 coppers are the best with the square grooves and wide sole. I would be playing them now but I hit the SW so close to the LW on full swings because they are so close in Loft, plus they don't offer the low bounce option in the LW. I could always have someone grind them but I would never do that.

Thanks for the reply, I had convinced myself that the "push" was due to the shafts, but this is apparently not the case after hearing your reply. I will be giving these a shot at bag time very soon, love the way they look. I switched to Ping tours from TM Racs with DG wedge shafts and immediately had to alter my alignment to the left, I did lose a few yards as well in the switch, is your distance the same as the tours or ...different. And I also agree that the eye 2 wedges are my all time favorites, like throwing darts.

Thanks for the reply, I had convinced myself that the "push" was due to the shafts, but this is apparently not the case after hearing your reply. I will be giving these a shot at bag time very soon, love the way they look. I switched to Ping tours from TM Racs with DG wedge shafts and immediately had to alter my alignment to the left, I did lose a few yards as well in the switch, is your distance the same as the tours or ...different. And I also agree that the eye 2 wedges are my all time favorites, like throwing darts.

I love the tour wedges. I don't have a push problem.

The wedges are cast in the U.S. but the black nickel chrome finish is applied in China just like the putters. That is part of the reason they select only what they think will be the biggest sellers in the wedges and don't do all of the lofts and bounces. The finish has been asked about going clear back to the original S59 Tours. The answer is always a resounding NO. They would have no idea what quantity of what color codes to do and since the finish doesn't like much more than 2 degrees of bending before it cracks that limits them as well.

I'm fairly sure if your name is Bubba Watson you could get a set but he also has special lofted driver heads done just for him as well. People were pretty sure they spotted a set of S59s in his bag that were black nickel chromed but upon closer inspection they turned out to be the original S59s (darker not tour polished finished) that had ferrules on them.

With the new Tour W wedges that push is gone and distance is a little better than the Tours (Great Wedges not bashing at all) but not over 4-5 yards. Yeah Eye 2's are awesome.

The wedges are cast in the U.S. but the black nickel chrome finish is applied in China just like the putters. That is part of the reason they select only what they think will be the biggest sellers in the wedges and don't do all of the lofts and bounces. The finish has been asked about going clear back to the original S59 Tours. The answer is always a resounding NO. They would have no idea what quantity of what color codes to do and since the finish doesn't like much more than 2 degrees of bending before it cracks that limits them as well.

I'm fairly sure if your name is Bubba Watson you could get a set but he also has special lofted driver heads done just for him as well. People were pretty sure they spotted a set of S59s in his bag that were black nickel chromed but upon closer inspection they turned out to be the original S59s (darker not tour polished finished) that had ferrules on them.

I was told that due to the W in the toe and the milling on the face that the W-Tour wedges are cast and finished in Asia. Who cares though. I designed bikes for a long time in the USA and EVERYTHING was made in Taiwan, China, and Vietnam. They do a damn good job at it too.

I was told that due to the W in the toe and the milling on the face that the W-Tour wedges are cast and finished in Asia. Who cares though. I designed bikes for a long time in the USA and EVERYTHING was made in Taiwan, China, and Vietnam. They do a damn good job at it too.

I can't imagine the W or tungsten insert let along the milling is something ping can't do in the U.S... Maybe only the black chrome ones due to the finish. No EPA in that way for that stuff like the black chrome finish. I will ask about that further this week. I think possibly that the Raptures are done in China for the assembly as well.

Are they cast in China too? I thought the Black Nickel finish was applied in China on the Tour wedges, but they were cast here? Could that be the case with the Tour W's as well?

I always thought Ping did all castings in house and definetly all assembly. Maybe if they are cast in China, it could have something to do with the Tungsten toe weight? I am all for U.S.A. made and that is one reason I play Pings they are a great U.S.A company but then again these wedges are so good I really could care less right now. Hopefully they are made in U.S.A. not China.

Sorry to burst the bubble gang. The Tour-W wedge, just as the previous Tour Wedge are in fact cast in China. You can be assured, it is not a case where they are casting the club in the U.S. then shipping to China to have the finish put on, then shipping back to the U.S. for assembly.

These are produced in the same plant as they're Hybrids, and Woods are made.

If you have any doubt, just check out the sticker. If the heads were made in the U.S. and coated in China it would say "Clubhead: Made in the USA of Foreign and Domestic parts" - it does not, it states "Clubhead: Made in China." Our import laws are very strict on these descriptions.

Ping has had to do this in the face of tough competition. Same reason True Temper just signed a deal to have shafts made in China for the first time, and you see V2s made in Mexico. Many stock shafts from Bangladesh. It has less to do with the country of Origin, than the fact that many items are being produced in non ISO 9000 or ISO 9001 factories. For those that don't know ISO is a universal Six-Sigma Quality Assurance program utilized in factory production.

Sorry to burst the bubble gang. The Tour-W wedge, just as the previous Tour Wedge are in fact cast in China. You can be assured, it is not a case where they are casting the club in the U.S. then shipping to China to have the finish put on, then shipping back to the U.S. for assembly.

These are produced in the same plant as they're Hybrids, and Woods are made.

If you have any doubt, just check out the sticker. If the heads were made in the U.S. and coated in China it would say "Clubhead: Made in the USA of Foreign and Domestic parts" - it does not, it states "Clubhead: Made in China." Our import laws are very strict on these descriptions.

Ping has had to do this in the face of tough competition. Same reason True Temper just signed a deal to have shafts made in China for the first time, and you see V2s made in Mexico. Many stock shafts from Bangladesh. It has less to do with the country of Origin, than the fact that many items are being produced in non ISO 9000 or ISO 9001 factories. For those that don't know ISO is a universal Six-Sigma Quality Assurance program utilized in factory production.

If that is the case with the Tour-W wedges I can only imagine that it is more a logistics problem of making them in the U.S. and then plating them overseas and sending them back as opposed to the ability to manufacture the wedges in China. There is nothing special casting or machining wise about these wedges. The main thing is that EPA has virtually made special plating in the U.S. a thing of the past due to environmental concerns (real and imaginary). China doesn't give a hoot about those issues. Don't know what ISO or non ISO factories have to do with anything. People use the ISO 9000 or 9001 as a price of admission to be able to do work. The ISO certification can be fairly rigorous or a joke depending on who is doing the certifying. Having dealt with many certifiers (and having been one) over the years there is almost as much variation in quality of their work as there is in a ISO or non ISO factory. Also ISO was around long before GE started getting the six sigma term thrown around as proof of high quality designs and work. This is another area of "program of the moment" to prove to various buyers that you can do quality first time work (surpassed old Dr. Deming for must have in your business). The other is design for six sigma. Having visited plants (75 by my count) all over the world in auto/golf/supplier parts I can say only the Korean auto industry has used these teachings correctly as GE first implemented them. Their rapid rise in quality (and conversely Toyota's recent falling) is a testament to the validity of the concepts if correctly and rigorously implemented. Everyone else does it piecemeal and calls it macaroni.

Excluded from this generality are aerospace and aeronautics of which I have little useful knowledge. I'm sure my wife and her father who taught quality control concepts for years to those industries could enlighten me if I cared.

ISO is not the end all be all, it is however some sort of Quality Assurance standard. Given the recent findings of product and material coming out of China (See Led in Toys), it is the only viable method of QA available in China. It has long been established in the Power Tool industry that product from Taiwan is superior to that of China. Nearly all Taiwanese factories have a base in ISO. Simply the odds are better that you will receive a more consistent and quality product and material.

Some PING clubheads (Tour-W and Tour Wedge and Woods) are manufactured by Fu Sheng Industrial Co., Ltd with factories in Tao-Yuan - Woods (ISO 9001) and Zhongshan - Irons and Finishing (ISO 9002).

Quality wise, these two factories have an excellent track record. But yes, still a shame that even venerable PING must build in China.

In August 2005, John Solheim told me his goal was to return all production of Ping product back to the USA & away from China.

;)

Here's hoping that he reaches his goal one day!