MacGregor M5K-GT weight removal?...

SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
edited Dec 18, 2005 in Putters #1
Gentlemen, I have a MacGregor V-Foil M5K-GT putter that I really love but it's just a bit on the heavy side. I read where these putters have some sort of weight screws that'll allow you to adjust the weight on them. On mine, there are two screws that seem to be holding the Copper insert in that's on the bottom rear of the putter. Would these screws have anything to do with the weight problem? Thanks for your help guys. Simp
WITB
G400 LST 10°
VSteel 13°
Adams Idea Pro 20°
Adams Idea Pro 23°
Mizuno MP18 SC's Fli-Hi 4&5
Cleveland RTX3 50,54 & 60
TaylorMade Spider Mini

Comments

• MrParr1NoidMrParr1Noid Golf was fun ClubWRX Posts: 7,212 ✭✭
    edited Dec 18, 2005 #2
    image/smile.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    1 Club -- Adjustable
    1 Ball -- Very Long
  • SimpSimp Members Posts: 2,908 ✭✭
    Thank you Sir! I appreciate it. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
    edited Dec 18, 2005 #4
    Update!: I removed the large copper weight in the rear of the putter so now I'm left with trying to determine how much metal I should remove and where it should be removed from. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • 857 Pro-Ti857 Pro-Ti Music Addict Charter Members Posts: 975
    Why would you want to remove weight from the backweight? You are changing the MOI properties of the putter and I'm sure it won't look pretty after you grind away at it image/bad.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />

Just try changing the front weights to the aluminum ones first image/wink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />

The retail ones I've tried seemed to light to me. What putter are you used to using?
    Ping Answer type putters mostly. This putter just seems really heavy. Definitely alot heavier than the one I was using. Not to wory about it looking ugly though. I'm going to drill out some of the metal that's hidden under the frame of the putter. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
    Just change the weights....that's why they are removable image/fool.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' />
  • abewleyabewley Members Posts: 3,174
    there is a weight kit for around 50 bucks...
    If the weight kit consists of only those two screws then I'm not sure that would be enough. What's the maximum amount of weight that can be removed by tinkering with those screws? Thanks, Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
    We were probably on there at the same time! I just finished looking at it. This is only my opinion (and you know what that counts for) but I don't think spending another $50 is going to solve my problem. I've taken those screws out and tried the putter and it's still way too heavy. I'm going to try and remove some metal from the big copper part on the back of the putter and see how that works. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • abewleyabewley Members Posts: 3,174
    unless you just set on the look of that putter.. i would sell it and get a ping craze before i would physically alter a club and render it unsellable.
    I really don't get why you feel that the putter is heavy image/blink.png' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':dntknw:' /> Without the weights in the front I would guess that the headweight is around 330-335 grams which is on the light side. The Ping Craze-E is probably the same weight!

What length is it?
    It's 35 inches and definitely way too heavy for my liking. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
    abewley wrote on Dec 19 2005, 05:24 PM:

unless you just set on the look of that putter.. i would sell it and get a ping craze before i would physically alter a club and render it unsellable.

I not only like the look of the putter I really love the way it feels purtaining to the stroke. It definitely goes straight back and straight through. It's just a little heavy for my taste. I won't have to worry about selling it. I've got a basement full of clubs that I've accumulated over the years that'll probably be my sons one day so he can tinker with. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
    edited Dec 19, 2005 #16
    Well, I took the copper weight out and went downstairs and milled out the center part of it and that took enough weight out of it that I think with a little practice I can get used to it now. It's definitely a lot better. BTW, for those of you that were wondering, this didn't alter the look of the club at all. It's all on the inside of the club. I more or less hollowed the weight out. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini
  • AngenendAngenend Warner University Golf Members Posts: 235
    is that macgregor putter made of one solid piece of material? if not...then you can cause weird reactions to the metal..had a friend mess up two putters that way... be careful :-D
    Yes, the putter "frame" is one piece of metal but it also has a large piece of copper that acts as a weight in the back that can be removed. It also has two weight screws that can be removed and replaced with other like screws of different weights. I simply removed the large copper weight and took some metal out of the center of it and replaced it. Cosmetically, the putter didn't change at all. It just got a little lighter. All of the metal was taken off of the centerline and not the outer edges, where it would definitely mess with the balance and torque. It's exactly the same but just a few ounces lighter. Not really as lite as I'd like it but it'll do. Simp
    WITB
    G400 LST 10°
    VSteel 13°
    Adams Idea Pro 20°
    Adams Idea Pro 23°
    TaylorMade Spider Mini