P790 UDI anyone?

Anyone here got the P790 UDI 2 iron from TaylorMade? Did you go with the 17 deg. and do you hit it miles?

I have an old 712U from Titleist all standard, and that is 18 deg. so thinking about ordering the P790 UDI 2 iron but bent to 18 degree loft.

Would that be stupid? There is something about if you get an iron bent weak you are opening the club face as well?

So I want to hear you guys if you even can see or feel that 1 deg. more open to 18 deg. and not 17 deg.

Comments

• jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,667 ClubWRX
    I have one on order at 1° weak. With irons, the sole is thin enough that it won't "open" the face like on a wood. It will change offset slightly and bounce by the same amount (+1° loft = +1° bounce).
    M3 9.5°  Tour AD TP
    M5 15°  Tensei CK Pro
    818H2 19°  HZRDUS
    790 UDI  PX Catalyst  -or-  TP UDI 3  PX HB6
    790 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon
    SM7 46F 52F 58D 62M  DG/KBS
    Mann MA/66

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • tyorke1tyorke1 Members Posts: 2,166 ✭✭
    A buddy has one hit it beside my 3 wd, unreal
    m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s ,
    m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x ,
    816 h1 hybrid 19 degree ,speeder tour spec
    taylor p790 17 degree
    callaway apex pro c-taper stiff 
    vokey 52--56--60
    taylormade spider tour dj versionr
    epic green staff bag or titleist cart bag
  • gregsimms1017gregsimms1017 Members Posts: 39
    Pitchswag wrote:
    Anyone here got the P790 UDI 2 iron from TaylorMade? Did you go with the 17 deg. and do you hit it miles?

I have an old 712U from Titleist all standard, and that is 18 deg. so thinking about ordering the P790 UDI 2 iron but bent to 18 degree loft.

Would that be stupid? There is something about if you get an iron bent weak you are opening the club face as well?

So I want to hear you guys if you even can see or feel that 1 deg. more open to 18 deg. and not 17 deg.

My p790 is is standard loft with the hzrdus black 6.5. I absolutely love this club! Feels great and comes off the face like a rocket. I hit it to within 10 feet today on a 268 yard par 3 today. Needless to say, I 3 putted but this 2 iron will be in my bag for a long time.
  • PitchswagPitchswag Posts: 724
    Thanks... So jokerush, if you get it 1 deg. weak so it's 18 deg. all you do it just to get slighty more offset and bounce at 1 deg. But can you see and feel that more offset at address?
  • DNice26DNice26 Members Posts: 4,142 ✭✭
    Pitchswag wrote:
    Thanks... So jokerush, if you get it 1 deg. weak so it's 18 deg. all you do it just to get slighty more offset and bounce at 1 deg. But can you see and feel that more offset at address?

Making the club weak lessens the offset, nit increases it.
    Ping G400 Max 9, Aldila Black 7X
    TaylorMade M3 3HL, Tensai Blue 7X
    Callaway Apex 20, KK 8X
    TayorMade P790 4 & 5 Iron, 770 6-PW, KBS C-Taper S
    TaylorMade MG 50, 54 & 58 TT S400 (Spider Man theme)
    Ping Tyne, 35"

https://www.instagram.com/dnice262626/
    DNice26 wrote:

Pitchswag wrote:

Making the club weak lessens the offset, nit increases it.

Of course. It was a mistake. I know 1 deg. weak gives you 1 deg. less offset and wise versa. But can the human eye see the change?
  • TT2017TT2017 Members Posts: 227 ✭✭
    Before you even begin to think about bending it or what effect that may have on visual offset etc. then why not hit it?

One thing is for sure, there is no way whatsoever that you are guaranteed to take delivery of a new club that is actually 17 degrees of loft. You may be lucky and get one that happens to be 17 degrees, but for sure its not guaranteed. Given that you can't specify a loft from TM only weak or strong then you are embarking on a fool's errand.

If you buy one and decide its not to your liking then bend it, but to do so without even hitting it or indeed even setting it down behind a ball is cart before horse.
    edited Jun 6, 2018 #9
    I see what you mean, and you are right... But... The 712U I have today is exactly 18 deg. of loft. I know that since we have measured recently.

Therefore I want an 18 deg of loft P790 UDI, but you are right about it, maybe the 17 deg. maybe performs like my current 18 deg. since - as you mention - a lot of clubs today isn't actually the loft given on paper. It's a bit head shaking when you realize how off the degrees are for a brand new set of blades.

So maybe you are right. I should just order the original 17 deg. UDI and try it out first.
  • jokerusnjokerusn nice shoes Northern NJClubWRX Posts: 4,667 ClubWRX
    Pitchswag wrote:

Thanks... So jokerusn, if you get it 1 deg. weak so it's 18 deg. all you do it just to get slighty more offset and bounce at 1 deg. But can you see and feel that more offset at address?

I've had clubs where 1 degree more bounce was a huge change to how it played and others where it didn't matter a bit. The offset is negligible so you probably won't notice it at all. I had one club builder over bend a club then bent it back and it ended up with horrendous offset. But that was 4° strong one way then 2° back. In this club, I'll be using it off the tee almost exclusively so the bounce change won't affect how it plays for me. My PW is a vokey 46 bent to 47 and I only notice how it interacts with the ground but it could be completely my imagination. Frankly, the club could be close to 18° without bending it at all due to manufacturing tolerances. And in the end, 1° affects flight far more than appearance so I wouldn't worry about it.
    M3 9.5°  Tour AD TP
    M5 15°  Tensei CK Pro
    818H2 19°  HZRDUS
    790 UDI  PX Catalyst  -or-  TP UDI 3  PX HB6
    790 4i / Z745 5-9  Nippon
    SM7 46F 52F 58D 62M  DG/KBS
    Mann MA/66

(¬¬) WITB Link
  • BlakeBstoneBlakeBstone Members Posts: 2,415
    Love the iron. HATED the shaft. I have a hx4 white tie drying in it right now. The hzrds just felt horrible to me. I’m a 116ss guy and the 6.5 just felt dead
    My Bag
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
    TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
    Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
    Titleist SM6 52,54,60
    odyssey big T
  • chch3chch3 Members Posts: 810 ✭✭

Love the iron. HATED the shaft. I have a hx4 white tie drying in it right now. The hzrds just felt horrible to me. I'm a 116ss guy and the 6.5 just felt dead

Same. I hate the HZRDUS hybrid shaft. I got a Tensei Pro White coming to put in it. If that doesn't work I am going to go with the Tour AD DI in my other 2 iron.
    Cobra F6 Baffler // Diamana D+ 80
    Cobra F7 Hybrid // Tensei Pro White
    Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-GW // Project X
    Ping Tour Gorge 52 // Project X
    Callaway PM Grind 56 // Project X
    Taylormade Tour Spider Black
  • BlakeBstoneBlakeBstone Members Posts: 2,415
    All cured and ready for a test drive tomorrow

18DA9B89-5F0F-4222-98E7-254C6AED0AE7_zpsngl6dde4.jpeg
    My Bag
    Callaway Epic SZ 9* Rogue 125msi 70x
    TM M1 3w Kuro Kage 80x
    Bridgestone j15 cb's w/modus 120x's
    Titleist SM6 52,54,60
    odyssey big T
  • Funny how we all are different.

I love the HZRDUS Black and Yellow shafts, but can't use the Tensei White at all. My SS was avg. 120 mph with the driver.

A friend of mine who have the same SS as me, can't use True Temper but loves KBS, where I hate KBS, they are so dead to me, but TT is pure butter.

Funny to think about and luckily aren't we all the same.