Women’s Persimmon Heads Same as Mens?

I’m just curious, in the 1950’s were women’s persimmon club heads the same size and weight as men’s heads? Were they smaller or lighter? Was the only real difference the shafts?

I just ask as I saw a nice looking women’s set of woods that would really look superb with a blonde refinish and an updated set of stiff steel shafts.
WITB
Macgregor M09 driver
Macgregor M85 Super Eye-O-Matic 3&4 woods
1958 Wilson Dyna-Powered irons 2-PW
1961 Wilson Sandy Andy
Ping CU5 putter 

Comments

• dcopp7dcopp7 Members Posts: 935 ✭✭
    Shaft length & flex
    Callaway Hyper X 9* what's the point?

Taylormade (original) RBZ 15* 3W

Cleveland Launcher 3W 15*

Synchron Vespa 19* hybrid

Orlimar 23* 7W

Dynacraft Prophet CB flexface 5i-PW

Acer XB 52* & 58* wedges

Orlimar putter
  • xgolfxxgolfx Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    edited Oct 11, 2018 #3
    length,loft,shaft,grip,lie,weight.and size were all not same as men's models on MacGregor ladies

clubs. The clubs playability would be destroyed by altering the shafts ,weight and length

CHARLEY PENNA
  • deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    Thanks for the reply guys. I found a similar set in the Macgregor catalog History book and it states “...because the compact heads are easy to handle”, so I assume they are smaller than a man’s set.
    WITB
    Macgregor M09 driver
    1961 Wilson Sandy Andy
    Ping CU5 putter 
  • freddiecfreddiec Members Posts: 4,251 ✭✭
    Freddie Couples played a Louise Suggs (MacGregor ) driver when he was around 18 thru the beginning of his college days because he liked the head so much... he said this in a recent interview
  • rex235rex235 ClubWRX Posts: 3,959 ClubWRX
    Deejaid-

At one time, just before the '84 Masters, Ben Crenshaw had his eye on a particular MacGregor Louise Suggs "signature" Persimmon wood.

In Louise Suggs book, "And That's That!" she commented the following on meeting Paul Azinger-

"The first thing he (Azinger) said to me was his first full set of golf clubs he had were MacGregor Louise Suggs."

To my knowledge, all of her MacGregor club models were RH Only.
  • xgolfxxgolfx Members Posts: 1,074 ✭✭
    Suggs woods models included 235,610,615,642,712,727,780w,s4w,s4tw,velocitized,and super-eye-o-magic. Less than half of these models were “pro only”.I have never seen a Suggs wood on any most desired list. There was usually one model each year that was top of the line. The others were store clubs.

Louise Suggs name appeared on the top model because she was the best player on the MacGregor staff.

CHARLEY PENNA
  • majicmajic Charter Members Posts: 1,217 ✭✭
    I played Louise Suggs woods growing up. My mom was a huge fan. I hit my moms woods a brothers irons - MacGregor. Early 50’s clubs and great. In Later years I played a custom shop set if 985’s and 945 driver. I played these from 1963 to 1975
  • deejaiddeejaid Members Posts: 461 ✭✭
    Yes, the ones I saw were a nice looking four club set of Macgregor 780w with the Super Eye-O-Matic insert. I really like the blonde finished woods and these would look pretty nice finished, but ai think I’ll pass.
    WITB
    Macgregor M09 driver
    1961 Wilson Sandy Andy
    Ping CU5 putter