WRX Spotlight: Garmin Approach Z80 laser rangefinder

WRX_SpotlightWRX_Spotlight Members Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited Mar 4, 2019 4:03pm in GPS/Range Finders/Mobile Apps #1
Product: Garmin Approach Z80

Pitch: From Garmin: "See the game differently with the Approach Z80 laser range finder with GPS. Laser ranges are accurate to within 10", so you can take dead aim at the flag. See a full-colour CourseView and Green View overlay in 2-D, showing distances to the front and back of the green, plus hazards on more than 41,000 courses worldwide."

Screen-Shot-2019-02-28-at-11.59.14.png

Our take on the Garmin Approach Z80 Laser Rangefinder

In terms of laser rangefinders, the Garmin Approach Z80 does all the little things well and then packs on a bundle of additional features, which makes the product unique.

For starters, one of the coolest features of the Garmin Approach Z80 is the 2D hole layout that appears on the left-hand side of the screen. The image serves as a virtual map of the hole, and offers you a great view of what's in store next should you either pull or push your shot, making it one of the best rangefinders on the market for use on your tee shots. The rangefinder also allows you to enter your average driving distance, which will automatically suggest where your tee shot should land.

Read more.

Comments

• sirparalotsirparalot Members Posts: 707 ✭✭
    Really like the idea of this rangefinder as I use a gps watch and rangefinder during my rounds and this puts them together in 1 package . My concern is the 10-20 seconds it takes to start up each time it comes out of standby (which it sounds like it will go into standby after every shot). Seems very excessive and will slow up play as you wait for rangefinder. Would be curious if this has been the case with those that have used it.
  • Long ShotLong Shot Members Posts: 484 ✭✭
    Is this legal for tournament play? DOes it have a tournament mode?
  • HifadeHifade Somewhere up here or down there Dayton, OHCharter Members Posts: 5,333 ✭✭
    Had it and returned it. Exchanged for Bushy Pro X2. Too used to point and shoot. The Garmin, while very cool, just took too long to "wake up" for me.
    PING G400 MAX 9* - TOUR 65 "X" & PX HZRDUS T1100 6.0
    CALLAWAY EPIC FLASH SZ 15* - HZRDUS 6.5 Smoke
    TITLEIST 20* 815 Hybrid - Fuji HB 8.8 Tour Spec
    CALLAWAY '19 Smoke APEX 4-PW - KBS TOUR V "S" (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY MD4 48* S Grind - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5 (HSx1)
    CALLAWAY RAW MD4 54* X & 58* X - ORIGINAL PX Satin 5.5's (HSx1)
    ODYSSEY EXO 7S - CUSTOM
    SCOTTY CAMERON 2001 3x Chocolate TOUR NEWPORT BEACH (1 of 3)
    BRIDGESTONE B330 Tour #1's
  • flyhighandlongflyhighandlong Members Posts: 282 ClubWRX
    edited Mar 24, 2019 10:12pm #5

Just used the Z80 for the first time yesterday. I have to say that I loved it, maybe 30 seconds to a minute to turn it on and have it download the course. I had no issues at all using it, all functions were very easy and took no time at all. In fact I would use it to range and put it back in the case, when ready to use it again it was ready no delay at all. I loved it and am very glad I bought this, well worth the money spent. A+ for me. When started round battery was at 85%, upon finishing round it was at 68%. Awesome