Get a cheap rangefinder for less stressful golf.

I recently switched to a Caddytek rangefinder. It was $100 open box on ebay and they gave me a $40 coupon for something, so net cost was $60.
Get a cheap rangefinder, it's less stressful when you are playing golf.
I was coming from a Bushnell Hybrid, which BTW has a crappy laser, I switched out 3 of them. The laser was as slow as the Caddytek and it has no slope. Do not get a Bushnell Hybrid.
I had the Bushnell Tour X and the Bushnell V4 shift.
The main difference with the Bushnell except the crappy Hybrid is that the laser is fast. You shoot it and the number pops up instantly, rarely do I need to double shoot.
The Caddytek, I have to press the button twice half the time to get the distance.
But the stress of not worrying about losing a $500 rangefinder is great. The cheap rangefinder is not that bad.
Don't get me wrong, I'll pay for something if it's worth it. I just bought myself a Stewart X9 follow for $2500...haha..
The best accessory to not lose your range finder and phone is the range gripper, who ever invented that deserves my money. My group all got one once they saw me use mine.

Comments

• swgolferswgolfer GoLow2 Members Posts: 336 ✭✭✭✭

Great post, bottom line as discussed many times there are quality Lasers that work great at much less $$ than the Bushnell's and yes their Hybrid at a ridiculous price is very poor quality. Are the most expensive Lasers a 1/10 of a second faster....probably but ask yourself is that worth $200 more?

• rpearlbergrpearlberg Members Posts: 644 ✭✭✭✭✭

Which one would you recommend? I currently use the Garmin Approach S2 watch (only for distance to green) not for scores, etc. My wants would be to see how far to hazards/layups and distance to pin.

Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
    Titleist 915D2 9.5
    Titleist 915F 15
    Titliest 915H 19
    Titleist 915H 21
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Take a look at the Precision Pro or the Golf Buddy LR7 (LR& is $169 to $199 online) , both great High quality Lasers at $100 to $150 less than say the Bushnell V4 and in my opinion better quality. The Lr7 has 3 different modes to laser including a scan mode which lets you push the button and scan for 10 seconds and it fires the yardages as you move it which is great to get lay ups and bunker faces.

@swgolfer said:
    Take a look at the Precision Pro or the Golf Buddy LR7 (LR& is $169 to $199 online) , both great High quality Lasers at $100 to $150 less than say the Bushnell V4 and in my opinion better quality. The Lr7 has 3 different modes to laser including a scan mode which lets you push the button and scan for 10 seconds and it fires the yardages as you move it which is great to get lay ups and bunker faces.

Thanks! LR7 is $140 on Amazon I think. Just started looking today, so not sure what to get! There is also a Nikon Coolshot 20 in the classified pages...

Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
    Titleist 915D2 9.5
    Titleist 915F 15
    Titliest 915H 19
    Titleist 915H 21
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2

You will be very happy with the LR7, lens quality is very high, solid case not cheap plastic like the V4 and the Laser itself grabs the flag beautifully and 3 modes. Good Luck.

• chal0072chal0072 Members Posts: 356 ✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2019 8:25pm #7

I agreed. Love mine. Golf buddy LR5. Fast, easy and simple. Got it on sale on Amazon for $100.

Cobra F9
    Tour Edge CBX 119 4W
    Titleist 917 F2 7W
    Callaway Apex 4h
    Fourteen TC-788 5-PW
    Fourteen TF Wedge 51 57
    Taylormade Tour Spider

• GautamaGautama Members Posts: 789 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited Jul 9, 2019 9:37pm #8

I made this same basic realization about cars about ten years ago...the nicer the car, the less I enjoy it. Now I take pride in my beater and parking it wherever the **** I want. 😂

EDIT: boy those asterisks make it look like that was a much worse word than it was, lol.

"I see the distorted swings, the hurried rounds, and now the electric carts tae ruin the course and rob us of our exercise...we have gone off the mark, gone after the wrong things, forgotten what it's all about"

-Dr. Julian Sands, Golf in the Kingdom

Ain’t that the truth. I had a beater and didn’t care about it, finally got a new car and spend way too much time worrying about it.

@Gautama said:
    I made this same basic realization about cars about ten years ago...the nicer the car, the less I enjoy it. Now I take pride in my beater and parking it wherever the **** I want. 😂

EDIT: boy those asterisks make it look like that was a much worse word than it was, lol.

Titleist 716 AP2 4-PW
    Titleist 915D2 9.5
    Titleist 915F 15
    Titliest 915H 19
    Titleist 915H 21
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2
  • moolmanmoolman Members Posts: 48 ✭✭

Even $150 is too much ..haha...$100 max, plenty of options at that price range. I do have a GPS watch too and I've done enough experimenting with it that I hate that the actually distance can be more that 10 yards.

• platgofplatgof platgof ClubWRX Posts: 1,597 ClubWRX

I picked up a used Bushnell on this forum, and it works great. More accurate than my GB2.

GBB Fusion HT 13.5 might change
    F9 5-6 WD
    F9 7-8 WD
    OS 5 & 6 Hybrid
    CF16 6-PW
    Glide AW, SW, LW
    TM Spider Pro Red C/S
    B330RX
  • NeuroticaNeurotica Rush is a band! Members Posts: 779 ✭✭✭✭✭

@Gautama said:

I drive the **** out of this car. I enjoy the **** out of it.

G400 Max 9* Alta 55 S D3
    G400 3W Alta CB 65 S D3
    G400 19*, 22* Hybrid Alta CB 70 S D2
    2019 Apex Combo 5-A i95 S Steelfiber +1/2" +2* up
    MD4 Raw S grind 54*, 60* i110 S Steelfiber +1/2" +1* up
    All above with ZCord midsize +2 wraps
    Anser 2 Vault Slate PP58 blackout - 35"
    2017 Pro V1X 
    All contained in my Sun Mountain C130S - 2018 USA version bag
    All riding on my Clicgear 3.5
    Swung with MG Elite XL gloves
    Distances courtesy of my Nikon Rangefinder Coolshot 80VR
  • melcoebmelcoeb Members Posts: 50 ✭✭

Fully agree with OP. Switched from an expensive fading screen Leupold GX4i to a Callaway 300 Pro. Very happy with the Cally, picks up the flag lighthing quick. Has slope too.

• JJK947JJK947 Members Posts: 3,178 ✭✭✭✭✭✭✭

Have been using a bushnell tour v2 for the last 5 years. Nothing fancy, but no issues and it gives me the yardage. Bought it for next to nothing used on ebay, great purchase. Would recomend everyone have at least a cheap range finder. Saves time with not walking off yardages or searching for sprinkler heads.

Taylormade M5 (9) - Tensei Pro Orange 60
    Taylormade M3 T3 (14) - Tensei Pro Orange 70
    Taylormade M3 5W (19) - Tensei Pro Orange 80
    Srixon Z945 3-PW - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP 54.11 - DG Tour X100
    Taylormade TP EF 60 ATV - DG Tour S400
    Scotty Cameron Studio Style NP2

• gohattersgohatters Golf is so much more fun from the "wrong side of the ball&q Members Posts: 125 ✭✭✭

While I totally agree with your premise, not all cheap rangefinders are the same. I bought the MG golf range finder for $100 and it was awful. Couldn’t get the same reading twice. Often locked on to background objects. Took way too long to read. To their credit, MG was super easy with the return. I’ll prob just pick up a used NX7 on eBay.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file