Ultra Privates in North Scottsdale

T_BoneAZ

For my first post I wanted to say that as a lurker I’ve thoroughly enjoyed this forum. Apologies in advance, as this may be a little long. Now, to my discussion points. As I wind down from a work standpoint while being in the process of selling a business I’m starting to narrow my search for a private club. I was doing half the year in south Reno and belonged to a really cool club, Montreux. It’s where they play the Barracuda if that rings a bell. Well, if just got too darned cold so we just decided to be full time at our home here in the very north tip of Scottsdale. I’m really fortunate that I have four very nice clubs extremely close and am agonizing some over the decision. I know Estancia and Troon CC are also really good, but I’m looking for something within 5 miles. In no particular order:

Mirabel: I live in this community (Played it twice)

Desert Mountain: I live across the street, literally. (Played Apache)

Desert Forest: Five Minute Drive (Haven’t played it, but toured the track a couple of weeks ago)

Whisper Rock: Ten minute drive (Haven’t played it yet, but think an invitation to join could happen)

I really liked the course tour of Desert Forest. My wife doesn’t play golf and wants some social aspects included so it’s probably out. Would still love to play it, as it looked like a brilliant design. Reminded me very much of Palmetto GC back in Aiken, SC. Love the fact the tee boxes are close to the greens, but very well hidden. And man, those green complexes are awesome. Great expansion of the practice area too.

Desert Mountain has 10 restaurants and some good golf courses, but it just felt really impersonal on the tour. I kinda felt like a guppy if that makes sense. Also, with so many members I’ve heard it can be tough on weekends in the morning on your course of choice or also tough on mornings in the summer. I need somewhere I can pop out last minute and play in 3.5 hours with zero notice. I really liked Outlaw, but I’m not sure this Mega Club is my cup of tea.

Whisper Rock I’ve heard is great, but again if I want to include my wife in anything it’s not the place. In fact, i believe the dining room is open for spouses one night a week, or at least that’s what I’ve heard. That doesn’t sound too bad actually, but no way I can get away with that.

That brings me to Mirabel. Visiting it this week actually blew me away. Just the feel of the place felt right. I’m pretty familiar with the Discovery Company’s processes and I like the concept so I wasn’t totally surprised. I didn’t quite know what to expect since the members bought the club in 2010, but they’ve kept the Discovery philosophy. Conditioning is really important to me and it definitely hit the mark there in spades. Not sure I’ve seen more than a handful of courses in that good of shape. They’ve added new practice facilities and the food was the best I’ve had at a club in ages. The men’s grill was solid too. As far as the layout, I like it. I’m a solid six and hope to get back to low single digits, but I found the course a lot of fun to play. Not the toughest layout, but definitely challenging enough (7,143 Par 71 Tips). The guest fees are reasonable too and with a cap at 275 members I think I’m about 90% sure I’ve found a home.

Any input is appreciated.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, I considered that, and might do it, but I really like the track at Mirabel. So, it kind of checks both boxes for me. Hopefully I’ll meet enough folks that I can play the other tracks semi-regularly and reciprocate to them also. Joining DF, along with Mirabel is also a possibility, but I would probably wait a little while to add a second. Gotta include the wife initially though :-)

Your last option is pretty much what happens for my wife and I. DF is my favorite course to play in the Valley and I would have to go broke to give up my membership there. My wife refers to it as a "boys club" even though I would say on Sundays at least 40% of the players are women (we do twosomes only on Sunday mornings so it husbands and wives for the most part). She thinks it is too hard to enjoy regularly because there are no really flat lies on the course as well. Thus, she plays about 1 round/year there and it is usually when we host people from work that are serious golfers. Otherwise we only play the other places we belong to (she prefers PCC because it is easily walkable and very easy over Troon). She completely endorses me having a membership there though and that's where I'll teach my boy to play when he gets old enough. I also taught my daughter to play there even though she wouldn't be caught dead playing golf now. :).

Oh and we also get free child care and no tee times at PCC so that makes playing there on a whim at the last second very easy to do.