Calloway Maverick MAX vs Ping 410 SFT

Ken11 ·  
Ken11Ken11 Members  2WRX Points: 5Posts: 2 Starters

I'm considering buying a new driver this year, maybe sometime after the Coronavirus situation here eases up. Since I have not yet tried either one of these drivers and may not be able to for awhile due to the imposed restrictions in my area, I am asking members who already have knowledge of these two drivers to provide their opinions on their experiences/feelings of them. I definitely want a draw driver so I am not really considering other Calloway and Ping models. Also I have no interest in the SIM driver. I appreciate your responses in advance. Thanks - Ken

Posted:

Comments

• HedgehogHedgehog EUMembers  534WRX Points: 213Handicap: 5Posts: 534 Golden Tee

Mavrik Max is a good driver because it's the most forgiving of the Mavrik line and properly fitted still as long as the others. IMO it also sounds better than other Mavrik models, but sound is subjective. The upside it has compared to the SFT is that it can really be made into 2 drivers by switching the weight.

Look up "TXG Mavrik" in Youtube, they call Max the "sleeper" of the season because it can deliver, it just maybe needs some additional weight in the head but that should not be an issue through a proper fitter.

G410 SFT on the other hand is the most draw bias head I have ever seen, if properly fitted it can't fix a slice into a straight flight, you have only 1 option left (take lessons, lol). The 1st time I saw an G410 SFT in action was last spring in the hands of a about 15 hcp club golfer that had hit a slice his whole life and now with a properly fitted Ping driver was shooting low penetrating arrows down the left side of the fairways because he had muscle memory to always aim down the left side of the fw as a right handed golfer. I was so impressed at the flight because I had played with him before and his bargain Cobra driver he had before had only 1 shape in it, a spinney ballooning slice in the right rough or the woods or the hazard.

Posted:
    Ping G410 Plus 9° Ventus 6x / Taylormade M6 15° Hzrdus Yellow75 6.0 / Ping G410 Hybrid 19° AD-DI85x / Ping G410 Crossover 21°Hzrdus Smoke90 6.0 / Ping iBlade 5-PW Modus3 105S / Cleveland RTX4 52/56° DG TI S400 / Ping Glide Forged 60° DG TI S400 / Scotty Cameron Futura 5W 33,5"Stability Shaft / Titleist ProV1
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Ken11Ken11 Members  2WRX Points: 5Posts: 2 Starters

Thank you, Hedgehog. I appreciate your input. I am now reviewing Youtube videos on the MAX. I have also been reading a lot of reviews on these two drivers. I know nothing replaces trying them out and being properly fitted when possible, but at this moment in time both seem like really suitable drivers for me. However, I do have a concern that the Ping may have too much draw bias to be consistently controllable. I can't wait to actually hit these drivers.

Posted:
  • woods991woods991 believelandClubWRX  2557WRX Points: 185Handicap: 12Posts: 2,557 Titanium Tees

Interesting videos on the Maverick

Posted:
    Signature of Solon CC
    Mizuno st200 10.5 w/Kuro Kage XM60
    Titleist TS2 (tour issue)15 Aldila Blue NV 70 42.75”
    Mizuno Jpx 919 Hot Metal Nippon Modus3 Pro 105 4-pw 
    Ping Glide 3.0 50 TT s400 tour issue
    Ping Glide 3.0 54 (Eye2) sole, Modus3 Pro 105
    Ping Glide 3.0 60 (Eye2)sole Modus3 Pro 105
    Evnroll Er10 Outback 33.75

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.