2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Left knee and weight shift

I have been trying to not have my left knee kick in so much on the backswing. This should make it easier to rotate my left knee and get pressure on my left side to start the downswing.

Also feel my arms are not working out enough on the downswing.

Just want to make sure I'm working on the right things. What do you see. Thanks.

Get a band Or tubing and do this. Iteach comment on use

the goal is try to maintain tension in backswing and increase tension in transition. The band is effectively trying to make you do it wrong and you have to fight the band. Makes the practice swing harder so non band swing is easier

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Hard to get pressure back to the left when the left knee kicks in too much, that means left hip is moving too much in the backswing, which means it has more distance to cover in the downswing. It might be the other way around, you were forced to hang back because of how your left knee was working. Mental queues might work as well, think of left knee flexing straight and getting over the left toes while left hip stays mostly stationary. But you should probably just whatever Dan has you working on, he's good at this stuff lol.

You will tend to lose any pressure when you compromise your lower body.
As @Krt22 mentioned - poor hip rotation. Your lead knee kicks out because it has to. Your hips rotate incorrectly and open up too much - forces that lead knee to come out.
Your trail knee rotates away from the target. I think the easiest way to get to where you want to - is try to hold your trail leg position. Don't let it lose flex or rotate very much at all. That would help getting your hips to not open as much and also activate your glutes. Pressure comes from activating the big muscles.
But the best thing to do is to stick with what Dan had you working on.

Focus on knee working out toward toes (use feedback like band or range bucket to keep those knees from getting closer together) - your right hip with the right leg extending can work up and back and get plenty deep - but you don't want to drop/rotate the left hip so much as you are doing - creates a lot of extra work to do in transition - you want change the left hip movement and yes it will feel restricted compared to what you are doing now (the left hip but not the total hip turn).

AMG has a nice video on it . Right now you are much more like the am.

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

It's not at all a restricted turn, it's getting the hips moving at the right angle angles. Left hip mostly needs to stay stationary as left knee flexes, while right hip turns back and up. And there is such thing as too much turn if they are turning too flat and/or swaying. It's going to take time to make the change, I've been working on undoing the same improper turn forever, basically something I need to constantly work on or I can fall into my old bad habits. But when you get it right it's night and day in terms of how free you are to rotate and finish the swing.

^^And that AMG video is very good

So here is the issue that is happening. You are taking lessons from Dan, but then asking everyone else for advice because you are confused. Whatever Dan is having you do is the right thing. Stick with the process. He will not steer you wrong, if you have questions just ask him. He's very quick to get back with you. I take online lessons as well. Stay the course and you will get better.

• Like 1

I know restriction is considered a bad word around here. However - you don't create torque, force and pressure without some restriction.

Restriction can be bad if used incorrectly. But in my opinion, to try and avoid any restriction in your body - you'll never be able to engage the ground properly.

If the restriction is causing your glutes to activate in the ground, that's good. If restriction causes you to feel like your knee is going to tear it's ACL, then it's not good. It's all about how you use your body.

maybe you are maybe you aren't stacking your weight - in doing something different we feel something different. I had a lesson with Monte in december and due to lack of play in the last year plus I had developed a habit of not extending well - during the course of the lesson since I was so used to dropping my head and moving a bit too much to the right when I got a centered pivot it felt like stack and tilt - but video doesn't lie and it was anything but. fast forward to a week or so ago and did a live online followup with Monte - of course i took the whole bottle of medicine and over did side bend - so now a week or so into getting it correct (going to send him a video in a bit to check in). So following up with Dan would be a good thing (even if just by email).

• Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

It's the same exact thing I said. They even said it's not really a restriction it's a "physical limitation".

The way you rotate your trail knee away from the target - allows your hips to over-rotate and you lose that restriction.

Call it a physical limitation if you want - it feels like resistance to me.

It's all tied to your trail leg. If you let it rotate and move too much - it's not good. If you lock it and restrict it completely - it's not good. But if you maintain that trail leg to stay where it is (very slight straightening or rotation) then you'll get the tilt and "physical limitation" they speak of.

• 2 weeks later...

Pulling hard with the left side over time can cause knee injuries. An easier approach is to load the right side more and push off that instead, plus you don't need so much shoulder turn. It feels completely different from loading up the left side. Jimmy Ballard explains it well. It is also the best way imo to increase your club head speed, probably by a good margin.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

Knee action looks better - if it was me, I'd work on AMG's recentering move starting at p3 to p4 - I don't see much lateral shift independent of rotation - the lateral shift in transition give you time to get the arms going down before rotation - allows you the time to get your hands more in front by p6 - right you still have a gap with hands outside right thigh. Drill I like is going to p3 stop then going to top while shifting laterally - feeling the pressure move to the left foot and left knee gaining a bit of flex - I like to do a mini pump - pump it between p3 and p4 a few times then either finish the swing or do a swing from the start. Be kind to yourself - it's pretty easy to over do it at first and to get the arms all messed up cause your thinking about it. Decent to do without a ball - maybe just put a wad of paper down instead and don't worry about contact. Then do it slowly with a ball. This is pretty much the essence of the downhill move to start the downswing.

Monte has a good one with Tiger.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CADtfNsF9nm/Monte getting Ebrasmus21 to do the drill

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-pU2--FLXV/If you've been someone that load the right side at the top this can feel like you are doing stack and tilt. Scott Lynn, a golf researcher, has studied and measured pressure shifts from tons of tour pro -

the pressure shift pattern is pretty much all over the place for these guys but for 99% the sequence is glide, spin, launch. So a lateral move first, followed by rotation, and then vertical (that lead leg extending).

Just an fyi video

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

OP, you're not rotating the hips correctly. The hips are turning, but you are rotating the knees, and the hips just follows. You will get better hip rotation when you work your knees out towards the toes.... and create some real rotation in the hip joint. In the swing catalyst video you can see that the pro "leaves the right knee behind during transition while the hips start to turn back.

Snd I agree with glk's asessment.