I have to come clean... to the GolfWRX Community...

Comments

• EJ MacEJ Mac Getting Closer Members  3019WRX Points: 1Posts: 3,019 Titanium Tees
    Definitely a classic from the good ol days of WRX.
    Posted:
    Cally 9.5 Xhot Fuel TS 60 tipped
    RBZ Stage 2 Tour 16.5* HL Attas 7S
    909H 17*, 21* &24* V Steel
    5-GW Cobra Pro M/B 950g/h
    Cleveland 588 Tour Zip Grooves 54*
    34" C&L 355g Beached
    WITB Link
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Joe85Joe85 Members  3915WRX Points: 189Posts: 3,915 Titanium Tees
    Those are sweet. Were they seriously sold at Walmart one day in time?
    Posted:
    Titleist 983E 8.5*
    Sonartec SS03 14*
    Ping i3 17* Titleist 585h 21, 24*
    MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 5-PW
    Solus 51,56,61
    Seemore Si4
    WITB Link
  • super20dansuper20dan Members  3374WRX Points: 73Handicap: 20Posts: 3,374 Titanium Tees
    no. ever see anything mizuno sold at walmart?
    Posted:
    73 hogan apex
  • TowelieeeeTowelieeee You're a towel! Members  666WRX Points: 1Posts: 666 Golden Tee
    Man, i was just thinking about this thread yesterday. Classic WRX right here.
    Posted:
    Ping G15 10.5* w/ Prolaunch Red S
    Ping G15 18.5* w/ Prolite fairway X
    Ping G10 21* w/ Oban Revenge S
    Ping i15 4-W w/ PX satin 6.0
    Ping Tour S 52* & 56*, Eye 2 60*
    Ping Anser 2 Pat. Pending Black satin
  • jakejake Members  182WRX Points: 57Posts: 182 Fairways
    Stay thirsty my friend.
    Posted:
  • dt2511dt2511 Members  121WRX Points: 0Handicap: 9Posts: 121
    Certainly one of the best posts ever... and since you're shooting 70s with that nonsense, think it might be time for me to take my brand spankin new gear and practice a bit more, worry less about gear.
    Posted:
    Thanks!

- dt2511

Advertisement
  • smiginsmigin Let others worry Members  268WRX Points: 0Posts: 268
    chances are that someone seeing them in your bag would feel so sorry for you they'd just buy any set and swap them out of sheer sympathy...
    Posted:
  • spezza11spezza11 Members  536WRX Points: 47Handicap: 6.2Posts: 536 Golden Tee
    hilarious.......
    Posted:
    Taylormade R11s 10.5 (Diamana Blue real deal stiff)//TM r510TP 9.5 (speeder 757 stiff)
    Titleist 910H (Diamana Blue 60S, 21' extended to 42.5)
    Titleist 690.MB 3-PW (DG s300)
    Titleist sm6 chrome (54, wedge flex)
    Titleist sm5 gold nickel (58, wedge flex)
    Scotty SS Newport Beach 34” pingman 
    Ball (donations found in the trees)
    Titleist stand bag
    Nike TW '15 grey
  • Jaygolf37Jaygolf37 All Go. No Quit. Members  694WRX Points: 135Handicap: 4.2Posts: 694 Golden Tee
    Easily the best thread on WRX...next to the guy that starts a "how to refinish a putter" topic.

I love that you can't let go. It is soo anti-Frozen.

I still have my Silver Scotts...
    Posted:
    Cobra BioCell Plus w/ Matrix Red Tie
    Cobra BioCell 3W w/ Aldila Tour Green ATX65
    PING g20 Hybrid w/ Nippon Steel Shaft
    PING i5’s w ZZ65’s
    Vokey SM’s 54 & 58
    Odyssey Black Series Tour #5
    ...all subject to “adjustment” per WRX societal norms...
  • Kathy MarieKathy Marie Members  635WRX Points: 30Posts: 635 Golden Tee
    Since "Judging Players By Their Bags" is back, thought I'd give one of my All Time Favorites a bump!

Thank You, HeadonaStick!!! image/air_kiss.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':air_kiss:' />

image/bye.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':wave:' />
    Posted:
  • SenfanSenfan Members  61WRX Points: 0Posts: 61
    Great thread, thanks for bumping this one or I would have missed it.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • HeadonaStickHeadonaStick FloridaMembers, ClubWRX  5406WRX Points: 172Posts: 5,406 Titanium Tees
    super20dan wrote:

no. ever see anything mizuno sold at walmart?

Sorry, it must have been K-Mart.

Just a bi-annual update.

I am currently playing TaylorMade CB Tour Preferred irons and they at least have a chance of making the bag on a permanent basis. The Mizunos have gone back into the back-up bag, but they remain the Michael Myers of the golf world. They'll be back at some point. The Magic 5 wood remains a true and dear friend, I still have a Mills in the bag (although a new one) and I am hitting Callaway X Hot 2 driver and 3-wood.

I wish I could report that the Mizunos have moved on, but they still haunt my dreams and the fairways around here...
    Posted:
  • forgedforeverforgedforever Members  1752WRX Points: 124Posts: 1,752 Platinum Tees
    This thread has life and breathes! Talk about a blast from the past!
    Posted:
  • HeadonaStickHeadonaStick FloridaMembers, ClubWRX  5406WRX Points: 172Posts: 5,406 Titanium Tees
    I like to drop in and visit every once in a while. I am thinking about making it my true what's in the bag except it pretty much is already.... there have been a few iron sets passing through but those **** Mizzy's just won't die.
    Posted:
  • StonewalledStonewalled Members  1673WRX Points: 183Posts: 1,673 Platinum Tees
    Priceless old thread. At least your Ping wannabes say Mizuno. They look very similar to a set of old Tour Model 111 s I bought new yrs ago and played for 20 yrs. I don't shoot low 70s with them but they still hit high straight shots for me. I still use the like new SW frequently. The lofts are weak and i have used the wedge and 9 iron from 110 yards in with great results recently. {Better than my name brand current wedges} Spent thousands on new stuff and could probably shoot similar scores with the old girls. Crazy game.

Thanks giving us new Golfwrxers your bi-annual update,

Jim.
    Posted:
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members  15473WRX Points: 3,621Posts: 15,473 Titanium Tees
    Ah, yes, this was/is a priceless thread. Takes me back to my days

as a WRX noob, lol.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • wolfpackwolfpack Members  2636WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,636 Titanium Tees
    This is seriously my all time favorite thread on WRX, thanks for bumping it. I have looked for it from time to time and I can't ever seem to find it when I want to show it to somebody.
    Posted:
    Cobra Bio Cell 11*
    F6 Baffler 17.5
    Hibore Hybrid 22*
    850 Forged 5-GW
    MP-T10 54, EYE 2 61
    Odyssey 7
  • DevilDogDevilDog Members  1843WRX Points: 120Posts: 1,843 Platinum Tees
    These clubs are like crack for the OP. Hates it but can't stop using it.
    Posted:
  • forgedforeverforgedforever Members  1752WRX Points: 124Posts: 1,752 Platinum Tees

I like to drop in and visit every once in a while. I am thinking about making it my true what's in the bag except it pretty much is already.... there have been a few iron sets passing through but those **** Mizzy's just won't die.

Neither will that Titleist 585-H hybrid I bought from you a few years ago. Sweet feeling club and still in the bag!
    Posted:
    Welp, it's that time of the year again, my annual (or not) update.

The Mizzy's are still around and I use them once in awhile. For some strange reason when my swing goes south a couple rounds with these perks things right up. Not sure if it is a mechanical thing or just my subconscious being mortally embarrassed and a subconscious decision emerges to swing right-ish.

I still go through drivers and am currently playing a Callaway XHot2 - it has been in the bag for quite a while because my playing partners threatened me with harm if I didn't stop replacing perfectly good drivers.

I have a Mills in the bag, but that is for sale at the moment and I am adding this to the bag:

pya91run82kc.jpg
    w11es7m032zi.png
    6xdsrqkghl8j.png
    Posted:
    Post edited by easyyy on
  • WrigglesWriggles Members  3285WRX Points: 914Posts: 3,285 Titanium Tees

I'm shallow. I'm not the club ho I appear to be... all the irons over the past two years have been because I'm a shallow, shallow man.

These:

evaporated due to old age. The stainless steel is actually rusting! I have no idea what the shaft is, but I'm quite sure they aren't something to brag about like a set of ultra cool KBS Tours or even nice Project X's. And if those are grooves, then I'm a ****'s uncle.

These came from Wal*Mart before the turn of the century (the last one, I think, but it could have been the turn before). They are a Ping knockoff, but unlike my putter, they knocked off an ugly Ping.

My Uncle played them before me. I got them when his mid-life crisis was over. I've had them in the bag for 8 years? Nine years? I put a set of blades into play for 1/2 a season when I started (because they looked better) but they were brutally unforgiving.

Let me apologize ahead of time, but sometimes strong language is called for: I hate these f-ers, and I hate the fact I can hit any **** shot I want with ease. Look at them. They should hit nothing but high lobs. They should have hot spots and be inconsistent distance wise. There shouldn't be a bit of spin on the ball due to serious lack of grooves - but I can make the ball stand up and bark like a dog with the 8, 9 and wedge.

No matter, I can call up a knockdown punch, I high soft landing, cuts are my specialty but I can even draw the ball with these.

Look at the insane amount of offset. ****, the face is in a different zipcode than the shaft! These should be able to hit nothing but high hooky shots.

I shoot mid 70's with these. I have not been able to break 85 consistently with any other club. Only two sets even came close the versatility these ugly mother f-ers provide. Naturally, I didn't hang onto those either.

The only thing I do is make sure they have good grips on them:

I want these butt-ugly, ancient, cheap a** copies out of my bag. Their ugliness is an ambarrassment to me, and club junkies everywhere.

I feel like I'm living a double life - Internet club junkie with good taste and real life ugly club master. Sort of like the guy with the model's picture in his wallet but the two bagger at home (you know, so ugly she has to have a bag on her head and you have one on yours in case hers breaks).

So there you go. I'm shallow and hate ugly. I have ugly sticks. I can't get rid of them, and I'm not really a club ho, just a desperate, shallow man who really wants snazzy clubs to show off, but no amount of cash (and beatings by the wife) have solved my problem.

The only fun these ever provided me was once, at Disney, some a** clown took a look at my bag and made some comment about my "high-tech Mizunos" and I kicked his a** all over the course. Sadly, the pleasure lasted only until the next round with these aesthetically retarded clubs.

Help me, please.

What's wrong with those clubs? Clean them up and enjoy them.

They look fine to me.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • dinsdale00dinsdale00 Members  7WRX Points: 22Handicap: 10Posts: 7 Bunkers
    let me guess, you also have a killer whale driver and a happy gilmore hockey putter...?
    Posted:
  • 95124hacker95124hacker Rare putter collection Members  1360WRX Points: 175Posts: 1,360 Platinum Tees
    Everytime someone bumps this thread, my family wonders what I'm reading is so **** funny...
    Posted:
    TS3 9.5*, Tensei AV Blue 55R, Draw setting
    '16 M1 3HL (17*), Fujikura Pro 70S
    King F7 2-3 (19*), Fujikura Pro 75h, S
    R15 Black 4h (21*), Fujikura Speeder Evolution 77, R
    PXG 0311 Gen1 4-iron, Steelfiber 95S
    Fourteen TC770 Forged, 5-PW, Roddio Pentacross I-8, SR
    Cobra Trusty Rusty 51* & 57*
    Odyssey WHP CSM 400g
    Ball: Bridgestone Tour B RX / XS
  • Golfer from MOGolfer from MO Members  1044WRX Points: 86Handicap: 2.1Posts: 1,044 Platinum Tees
    Classic thread. I wandered over from BSG to read this thread it was so legendary back in the day and still as funny now
    Posted:
  • MrFlapjackMrFlapjack Members  2637WRX Points: 138Handicap: 3.6Posts: 2,637 Titanium Tees
    Update!
    Posted:
    Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
    Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
    Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
    4 Hybrid...
    Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
    RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
    Ping Ketsch Mid 
    MrFlapjack wrote:

Update!

Okay :-)

The Mizzy's have been waiting in the closet for some time now. Fortunately I have not had to take them out and correct my swing or scare my irons into cooperating... probably because I had a knee injury and couldn't play until it was repaired - and being stubborn I limped around for 6 months before I broke down and had the surgery and then another 3 months while it healed.
    • Anyway, right now I am playing a set of Callaway Steelheads, regular flex stock shafts,
    • still playing my Cleveland wedges,
    • an Odyssey Tank 330 putter,
    • still rocking the Magic Cleveland Launcher 5 wood with a senior flex shaft,
    • a Callaway XHot 2 3 wood with a stiff flex shaft
    • and a Callaway Great Big Bertha driver, 13.5° with a regular flex shaft.

My balls are pink; Volvik Vivids to be exact with the occasional Callaway Supersoft thrown in when I want a little more control around the greens. When I want to match my Sketcher green shoes I play a green Vivid. Only problem is the Vivids fade in the sun in a single round. Seriously. On the bright side, my balls don't normally don't last me a full round.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Conrad1953Conrad1953 Members  15473WRX Points: 3,621Posts: 15,473 Titanium Tees
    Matching balls and shoes...........I gotta remember that!

Thanks for the update HOAS!
    Posted:
  • XirXir Members  230WRX Points: 35Posts: 230 Bunkers
    Glad to see this thread hasn't died yet. It was hilarious the first time, it's still funny now.
    Posted:
    Titleist 910D2 9.5* Kai'li S
    Titleist 910F 15* Kai'li S
    Taylormade RBZ hybrid 20* S
    Ping i20 4-PW CFS stiff
    Titleist Vokey SM4 52/08
    Nike VR 56/10
    Ping Tour-S 60/10
    Ping Anser Milled 0 -or- Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport
  • the bishopthe bishop Members  3873WRX Points: 877Posts: 3,873 Titanium Tees
    Man that OP was kinda like the Magna Carta of WRX. Beautifully crafted too. So much win....
    Posted:
    W/S D7 10.5*
    W/S C300 15*
    W/S C300 20*/23*
    W/S FG62 5-P
    W/S PMP 52/56/60
    TM Ardmore 3

Advertisement
    Well, here is my summer update.

I am playing a set of Callaway Steelhead XR's. Stock regular flex shafts. I have not even thought about touching the ugly sticks since I picked them up almost a year ago, so perhaps it is the end of an era. image/shok.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':shok:' />

There is also a Fusion driver set to 12.5° draw, a X2Hot 3 wood and a Cleveland 19° Launcher "Magic 5-wood." Yes, the same Magic 5-wood that was in the bag in 2014. The Launcher is shafted with a senior flex shaft and for some reason it is just magic for me. Everything else is shafted with regular flex.

Cleveland CG15 wedges in 50° and 56° are in the bag.

Finally, I am currently playing an Odyssey O-Works 7 at 34" with the heavier 20g weights installed.

Coming up for the summer, a new pair of wedges and I am seriously looking at the EXO putter - although I like the heavier feel of the O-Works so I may not be able to go with the EXO.

Still have the Pingzunos in the back-up bag, but I suspect they may never see the course again...

Pictures coming soon - as soon as it stops raining long enough to snap a few. Of course, everyone has seen what standard Callaways and Cleveland clubs look like but I'll post them anyway because, well, everyone does it.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.