gd ys-6 vs. gd ys-7+ vs. graf prolite 35

golfernut78

comparissons?
i've got a nike forged 350 driver with a graf prolite 35 shaft stiff flex. i hit this driver good. average 260 with a 103 ss and a mid ball flight. i like the trajectory and roll i get out of this. i got a nike ignite 410 with gd ys-6 shaft, stiff flex a few monthes ago. i like this driver. i hit it longer and at first was hitting it pretty straight. had a lesson to fix my swing (elbow was pointing at body and not down the line and what i thought was a strong grip turned out to be a nuetral grip). made these changes and now i suffer with control mainly to the left (draws and hooks, sometimes real big hooks). don't have any problems with the old driver with the prolite shaft. i recently tried my friends new r7 quad with aldila nv-65 regular flex. was again hitting big hooks.

my question is, could the flex be to low and causing the hooks? i know the ys-6 plays on the flexible side. if so, should i go back to the prolite? tried and true. i hear good things about the gd ys-+ drivers playing stiffer. i like the trajectory of the ys-6, mid - high but boring and good roll. i've also thought about a heavier shaft. i would appreciate everyone's opinion.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I have hit all of the shafts that you mentioned, let me give you some feedback that might help.

I play the Blue in a stiff flex, not the Prolaunch, with SS, last measured in Feb, between 105-107. I had hit the Prolaunch, but the Blue was a bit better for me. A flatter ball flight with a bit more torque and weight in the shaft. both are great

I also play the ys-7+ sx stiffness in my fw woods and absolutely love them. i finally took out the not so hot stock shafts and have been hitting my fw woods about 15 yards longer with a bit of a lower ball flight. perfect!!

I tried the Aldilla and the ys-6+ both in stiff flexes about 2 months ago. Did not like the Aldilla at all...hook, hook, and more hooks...and much to high for my liking. even tried the xtra stiff flex, but felt that i wanted the ball flight a bit lower. the ys-6+ was a bit better, a bit light, not as bad with the lefts. i felt that i was moving in the right direction and then tried the ys-7+ and fell in love. great shaft. the ys-6+ is a great shaft and is very close to the ys-7+, i think it is just weight and kick point difference. you can't go wrong with Graphite Design!!!

so when it all comes down, the blue is amazing, have had it for over a year in my r7 and the ys-7+ is a great shaft that i would definitely consider putting in my driver if i did not have the blue in it. good luck and i hope that helps. let me know if you need any other info.

i've got a nike forged 350 driver with a graf prolite 35 shaft stiff flex.  i hit this driver good.  average 260 with a 103 ss and a mid ball flight.  i like the trajectory and roll i get out of this.  i got a nike ignite 410 with gd ys-6 shaft, stiff flex a few monthes ago.  i like this driver.  i hit it longer and at first was hitting it pretty straight.  had a lesson to fix my swing (elbow was pointing at body and not down the line and what i thought was a strong grip turned out to be a nuetral grip).  made these changes and now i suffer with control mainly to the left (draws and hooks, sometimes real big hooks).  don't have any problems with the old driver with the prolite shaft.  i recently tried my friends new r7 quad with aldila nv-65 regular flex.  was again hitting big hooks.

my question is, could the flex be to low and causing the hooks?  i know the ys-6 plays on the flexible side. if so, should i go back to the prolite?  tried and true.  i hear good things about the gd ys-+ drivers playing stiffer.  i like the trajectory of the ys-6, mid - high but boring and good roll.  i've also thought about a heavier shaft.  i would appreciate everyone's opinion.

15032[/snapback]

Out of the shafts you mention, I have only tried the NV... That being said, the R7 is 1* closed, so that's not exatcly going to help your hook...

Interesting... I have a prolite 35 Stiff in my r7 and lately I've been hitting it left compared to my other clubs in my bag.  It has been a decent shaft for me .. but now I think it is a little on the lite side for me relative to the rest of my clubs.  I might go up to a 75ish gram shaft.  I originally tried the YS-6 stiff in a titleist 13* 3 wood but found it to be a little soft.  My problem is that I'm sort of in between S & XS (about 110-112 with my driver) thus X feels to hard and S feels like I can hit quack balls.    :vava:

15687[/snapback]

my problem too. i like the prolite 35, but am thinking about something heavier in the 70 or even 80 gram range. that was the reason for looking at the ys-7. still want a mid to high kick.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

my question is, could the flex be to low and causing the hooks?  i know the ys-6 plays on the flexible side. if so, should i go back to the prolite?  tried and true.  i hear good things about the gd ys-+ drivers playing stiffer.  i like the trajectory of the ys-6, mid - high but boring and good roll.  i've also thought about a heavier shaft.  i would appreciate everyone's opinion.

15032[/snapback]

You've just answer your own questions there.

Pro lite has stiffer tip and higher kick point and stiffer feel.

Heavier shaft is for control, lighter shaft si for speed. However if you got your timing and tempo maximize, heavier shaft could go long too.

Good Luck!

Joe