makeshift golf net- Garment rack and tarp- will it work?

vinny809 ·  
vinny809vinny809  467WRX Points: 40Handicap: 9.6Members Posts: 467 Bunkers
hey guys ive been doing some research for an indoor golf net. it seems like all the golf nets in the $100 price range just isnt pretty good. what do you guys think about getting an industrial garment rack for around $75 and putting a piece of tarp over it? the rack will be about 6 feet wide by 5 feet tall. do you guys think this will work? main goal is to practice short and mid irons, but who knows.
Posted:

Comments

• Willie MalayWillie Malay  2667WRX Points: 4Members Posts: 2,667 Titanium Tees
    Or PVC pipe and a net or tarp. Of course you may have to weight the bottom some.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • JsealeJseale  868WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 868
    I made one with PVC and an old sheet attached with tie wraps. Worked well until it got mildew from the rain. I didn't realize that it was loose until I hit driver into it and the ball kept going. Thankfully I was pointing at a wooded vacant lot and the ball just hit the trees and dropped. Definitely going with a weather resistant tarp next time.
    Posted:
  • World42World42  37WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 37
    How high should the net be? I'm 6'6" and have a high ball flight. My problem is that I don't know how high I should get the net too. I never thought of using PVC piping to make mine set up properly. Thanks.
    Posted:
  • JsealeJseale  868WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 868
    I took six 12 foot sections of PVC. I used 3 to make the front - 1 flat on the ground and the other 2 forming an arc and meeting in the middle (think of a "D" laying on it's back. Two more met it an identical arc flat on the ground behind the opening. The final piece connected the two arcs and acted as a brace.

I would say that the arc reached about 7 feet and was plenty tall as long as I got as close to the bet as I could without hitting PVC on my follow through. I'm only 5'9", but hit the ball pretty high so I don't know if body height has anything to do with it.

I doubt any if that made sense.
    Posted:
  • butch33611butch33611  1835WRX Points: 3Members Posts: 1,835 Bunkers
    I built mine out of 2 inch PVC. I was going to buy one already made but everything seemed basicly cheep looking and spendy so I decided to build my own. I figured I could build something better then I could buy for the same money. With mine I can hit any club in the bag including the driver and the ball just drops gently to the floor. I added an extra piece of netting on top angled down about two feet so I can hit lob shots with a 64 degree wedge. The ball goes almost straight up but still hits the net and falls to the floor. My hitting surface is a kingsize comforter first, then a black mesh tarp and finally the net. The comforter and tarp take all the impact making the net last a lot longer. No fear of blowing a ball through the net. There are two kinds of netting. Knotted and wooven. Get the wooven. The spin of the ball will trash a knotted net much faster then wooven. If I can be of any help with your project, let me know.

Here's my setup.
    Posted:
    Handicap 7.7
  • BDowningBDowning  183WRX Points: 104Members Posts: 183 Fairways
    butch33611 wrote:

I built mine out of 2 inch PVC. I was going to buy one already made but everything seemed basicly cheep looking and spendy so I decided to build my own. I figured I could build something better then I could buy for the same money. With mine I can hit any club in the bag including the driver and the ball just drops gently to the floor. I added an extra piece of netting on top angled down about two feet so I can hit lob shots with a 64 degree wedge. The ball goes almost straight up but still hits the net and falls to the floor. My hitting surface is a kingsize comforter first, then a black mesh tarp and finally the net. The comforter and tarp take all the impact making the net last a lot longer. No fear of blowing a ball through the net. There are two kinds of netting. Knotted and wooven. Get the wooven. The spin of the ball will trash a knotted net much faster then wooven. If I can be of any help with your project, let me know.

Here's my setup.

That's awesome! How much did that run you for materials alone?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • butch33611butch33611  1835WRX Points: 3Members Posts: 1,835 Bunkers
    The great thing is PVC is cheep and very well suited for this project. Its easy to cut and durable. I did a lot of things I didnt have to do because I wanted it last and look good at the same time. The net is the spendy part. The comforter was like 25.00 at walmart. I ordered the tarp for like 30.00. I think the net was around 130.00 if I recall. For a couple of hundred bucks and a little imagination you can make something really nice. Much better then anything you can buy already done. This thing is a tank!! It'll last a lifetime. Everything I looked at seemed rickety at best, cheep and over priced at the worst so I decided to build my own the way I wanted it. I could coustom build it to the space I had.

Let me know if I can with your project, Id be glad to do it.

Butch
    Posted:
    Handicap 7.7
  • World42World42  37WRX Points: 0Members Posts: 37
    thanks for info guys. I have a net froma cheap one that I bought, so i'll just get the pvc piping to make the frame.
    Posted:
  • parmarkparmark Parmark  1420WRX Points: 146Members Posts: 1,420 Platinum Tees
    heres another way to do it, even more cost effective. Net from Walmart is $20. I measured so it fits inside my heated garage for winter hitting too.
    Posted:
  • goatbarngoatbarn smashin' goats  1147WRX Points: 102Members Posts: 1,147 Bunkers
    Review the products offered here: http://www.westcoastnetting.com/netting-products/sports/golf-barrier/impact.html

You can build your own cage out of PVC or EMT and add side netting bought on ebay for cheap.

I've had the PR-20 and use it as an impact screen with my simulator for the past 3 years without a scratch or pucker mark. You could go with an 8' x 8' archery net on the same page for around $65. I recommend their products.
    Posted:
  • Indiana91Indiana91  27WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 27 Bunkers
    butch33611 wrote:

Here's my setup.

where did you get the netting?
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • Indiana91Indiana91  27WRX Points: 25Members Posts: 27 Bunkers
    also im looking to do this in my garage?
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.