makeshift golf net- Garment rack and tarp- will it work?

vinny809vinny809 Members Posts: 467 ClubWRX
hey guys ive been doing some research for an indoor golf net. it seems like all the golf nets in the $100 price range just isnt pretty good. what do you guys think about getting an industrial garment rack for around $75 and putting a piece of tarp over it? the rack will be about 6 feet wide by 5 feet tall. do you guys think this will work? main goal is to practice short and mid irons, but who knows.

Comments

• Willie MalayWillie Malay Members Posts: 2,667 ✭✭
    Or PVC pipe and a net or tarp. Of course you may have to weight the bottom some.
  • JsealeJseale Members Posts: 868
    I made one with PVC and an old sheet attached with tie wraps. Worked well until it got mildew from the rain. I didn't realize that it was loose until I hit driver into it and the ball kept going. Thankfully I was pointing at a wooded vacant lot and the ball just hit the trees and dropped. Definitely going with a weather resistant tarp next time.
  • World42World42 Members Posts: 37
    How high should the net be? I'm 6'6" and have a high ball flight. My problem is that I don't know how high I should get the net too. I never thought of using PVC piping to make mine set up properly. Thanks.
  • JsealeJseale Members Posts: 868
    I took six 12 foot sections of PVC. I used 3 to make the front - 1 flat on the ground and the other 2 forming an arc and meeting in the middle (think of a "D" laying on it's back. Two more met it an identical arc flat on the ground behind the opening. The final piece connected the two arcs and acted as a brace.

I would say that the arc reached about 7 feet and was plenty tall as long as I got as close to the bet as I could without hitting PVC on my follow through. I'm only 5'9", but hit the ball pretty high so I don't know if body height has anything to do with it.

I doubt any if that made sense.
  • butch33611butch33611 Members Posts: 1,835 ✭✭
    I built mine out of 2 inch PVC. I was going to buy one already made but everything seemed basicly cheep looking and spendy so I decided to build my own. I figured I could build something better then I could buy for the same money. With mine I can hit any club in the bag including the driver and the ball just drops gently to the floor. I added an extra piece of netting on top angled down about two feet so I can hit lob shots with a 64 degree wedge. The ball goes almost straight up but still hits the net and falls to the floor. My hitting surface is a kingsize comforter first, then a black mesh tarp and finally the net. The comforter and tarp take all the impact making the net last a lot longer. No fear of blowing a ball through the net. There are two kinds of netting. Knotted and wooven. Get the wooven. The spin of the ball will trash a knotted net much faster then wooven. If I can be of any help with your project, let me know.

Here's my setup.
    Handicap 7.7
  • BDowningBDowning Posts: 139 ✭✭
    butch33611 wrote:

I built mine out of 2 inch PVC. I was going to buy one already made but everything seemed basicly cheep looking and spendy so I decided to build my own. I figured I could build something better then I could buy for the same money. With mine I can hit any club in the bag including the driver and the ball just drops gently to the floor. I added an extra piece of netting on top angled down about two feet so I can hit lob shots with a 64 degree wedge. The ball goes almost straight up but still hits the net and falls to the floor. My hitting surface is a kingsize comforter first, then a black mesh tarp and finally the net. The comforter and tarp take all the impact making the net last a lot longer. No fear of blowing a ball through the net. There are two kinds of netting. Knotted and wooven. Get the wooven. The spin of the ball will trash a knotted net much faster then wooven. If I can be of any help with your project, let me know.

Here's my setup.

That's awesome! How much did that run you for materials alone?
  • butch33611butch33611 Members Posts: 1,835 ✭✭
    The great thing is PVC is cheep and very well suited for this project. Its easy to cut and durable. I did a lot of things I didnt have to do because I wanted it last and look good at the same time. The net is the spendy part. The comforter was like 25.00 at walmart. I ordered the tarp for like 30.00. I think the net was around 130.00 if I recall. For a couple of hundred bucks and a little imagination you can make something really nice. Much better then anything you can buy already done. This thing is a tank!! It'll last a lifetime. Everything I looked at seemed rickety at best, cheep and over priced at the worst so I decided to build my own the way I wanted it. I could coustom build it to the space I had.

Let me know if I can with your project, Id be glad to do it.

Butch
    Handicap 7.7
  • World42World42 Members Posts: 37
    thanks for info guys. I have a net froma cheap one that I bought, so i'll just get the pvc piping to make the frame.
  • parmarkparmark Parmark Members Posts: 1,393 ✭✭
    heres another way to do it, even more cost effective. Net from Walmart is $20. I measured so it fits inside my heated garage for winter hitting too.
  • goatbarngoatbarn smashin' goats Members Posts: 1,147 ✭✭
    Review the products offered here: http://www.westcoastnetting.com/netting-products/sports/golf-barrier/impact.html

You can build your own cage out of PVC or EMT and add side netting bought on ebay for cheap.

I've had the PR-20 and use it as an impact screen with my simulator for the past 3 years without a scratch or pucker mark. You could go with an 8' x 8' archery net on the same page for around $65. I recommend their products.
  • Indiana91Indiana91 Members Posts: 27
    butch33611 wrote:

Here's my setup.

where did you get the netting?
  • Indiana91Indiana91 Members Posts: 27
    also im looking to do this in my garage?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file