2014 Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

WRX'ers I purchased this bag its pretty great. If anyone has any questions I would be happy the answer them. My goals were having a fully featured light bag. I drop clubs out pretty often so I did not want a 14 way divider. Also that makes it a heavier bag.

Dr: LTDx LS 9 Paderson Velocity D20
FW: LTDx 14.5 Accra FX200F m3
FW: Radspeed 18.5 Motore F3 Regular 
Irons: Forged UT 24 hzrdus 5.5; 6-gw Pro 223 5.5 LZ
Wed: RTX-6 56.12 60.06
PT: 2014 Scotty Newport 1/500 custom

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure thing guys I will post pics soon; as far as a range finder there is a velour pocket top right that I use for my cell phone which doubles as my on course GPS... the club arrangement is pretty cool the middle clubs fall the right and left. Other than the top with clubs any specific photos you would like?

[quote name='jumpmanmatt23' timestamp='1381115565' post='7963293']
[quote name='doctorjedi' timestamp='1381108530' post='7962775']
pics
[/quote]

Looks great!! Anything you don't like about it?
[/quote]
The one feature that I feel like I would have wanted was having a waterproof pocket. We carry a lot of electronics now (Cell phones, GPS, Rangefinder) and that would have been a great feature but obviously not a deal killing one for me. I am coming from a 6 pound Cleveland bag from probably 2006 so there are a lot of game changers for me.

-Having the hard handle around the top of the bag is a home run. When you swing the bag from your left to right to put it back on the ground your hand naturally grabs that handle and you place it down much more elegantly than a vertical handle towards the middle of the bag.

-The weight; I was in contact with Sun Mountain before I purchased the bag because there website was not updated yet to 2014 product lines. I have confirmation from customer service that the 2014 bag is 3.9 pounds with the straps without the rain hood. I was looking at Ogio bags saw an amazon review where the measurements where off and done without the straps or the rainhood. This concerned me because my main reason of upgrade was weight.

-The overall feel is great its of high quality and I feel as though it is a top of the line type of bag. Last round I played 9 holes and really wanted to make the turn haven't felt that way in years.

So I currently have a taylormade hybrid 2.0. It was supposed to mainly be a cart bag, but also made with the straps for walking every so often. It has a 14 way divider AND 8 or 9 pockets!!! This is awesome for carrying everything you can imagine and its not a problem while riding, but now im walking courses way more and I find myself emptying the bag to save weight...

not sure how much stuff you carried in your previous bag, but would you say that having only 5 pockets (plus a drink pouch) encourages you to use space more efficiently and avoid carrying around random stuff you don't really need? This is the bag I'm looking at as a replacement for my current bag.

[quote name='Ernie1060' timestamp='1381384238' post='7979719']
So I currently have a taylormade hybrid 2.0. It was supposed to mainly be a cart bag, but also made with the straps for walking every so often. It has a 14 way divider AND 8 or 9 pockets!!! This is awesome for carrying everything you can imagine and its not a problem while riding, but now im walking courses way more and I find myself emptying the bag to save weight...

not sure how much stuff you carried in your previous bag, but would you say that having only 5 pockets (plus a drink pouch) encourages you to use space more efficiently and avoid carrying around random stuff you don't really need? This is the bag I'm looking at as a replacement for my current bag.
[/quote]

Ernie I am coming from a bag with similar pockets and I am not one to carry alot of extras. Rainhood and extra clothes generally dont come with me so I am never at a loss for space. Clubs, 18 tees, 6 balls, Water Bottle, Wallet, Phone, Keys are the only things that come with me. Your TM Hybrid bag is pretty heavy. I looked online they have it as close to 6 pounds. The 14 Way dividers is also adding weight. The "hybrid" bag I believe means its a cross between a stand bag and Cart bag. In my opinion, which my wife has told me doesn't count for anything; I think you carrying a bag that is lighter and that also forces you to carry less misc items would make your walk more enjoyable and save you strokes on the back 9. I also even drop clubs out when I know the walk will be extra taxing.

[quote name='doctorjedi' timestamp='1381415802' post='7981095']
[quote name='Ernie1060' timestamp='1381384238' post='7979719']

[/quote]

Ernie I am coming from a bag with similar pockets and I am not one to carry alot of extras. Rainhood and extra clothes generally dont come with me so I am never at a loss for space. Clubs, 18 tees, 6 balls, Water Bottle, Wallet, Phone, Keys are the only things that come with me. Your TM Hybrid bag is pretty heavy. I looked online they have it as close to 6 pounds. The 14 Way dividers is also adding weight. The "hybrid" bag I believe means its a cross between a stand bag and Cart bag. In my opinion, which my wife has told me doesn't count for anything; I think you carrying a bag that is lighter and that also forces you to carry less misc items would make your walk more enjoyable and save you strokes on the back 9. I also even drop clubs out when I know the walk will be extra taxing.
[/quote]

LOL. Well, no disrespect to your wife, but your opinion is valued and much appreciated.

It really is does get heavy towards the end of rounds and I never thought about whether its costing me stokes or not but you are talking my language! I'll be back for an update once I pull the trigger and play a few rounds.

now to choose a color...

Thanks for this topic. I have a Three 5 which is about four years old now. Am looking to replace it and am impressed by the 2014 offerings. Definitely wasn't so keen on this years crop and some of the colour combinations were positively vomit inducing.

I take it the new model is as light and well constructed as the previous versions?

[quote name='Eagle006' timestamp='1381761493' post='7999043']
Thanks for this topic. I have a Three 5 which is about four years old now. Am looking to replace it and am impressed by the 2014 offerings. Definitely wasn't so keen on this years crop and some of the colour combinations were positively vomit inducing.

I take it the new model is as light and well constructed as the previous versions?
[/quote]
The 2014 bags are 3.9 pounds and I 100% agree that the 2013 bags are not very attractive.

• 2 weeks later...

So after some research and in person comparisons between this bag and the ping hoofer series 4, I pulled the trigger and got the SM. Being the nerdy, techy, lawyer type, I performed several tests/weigh-ins.

I am coming from a 2009/10 TM hybrid 2.0... massive storage with 9 bags. (really its 8, but it has a bag to store the carry straps if you use a cart more than you walk). It has a 14 way divider and for the most part, while I lived in the OC, spent its time strapped to the back of my cart.

findings:

WEIGHT:

Old bag fully loaded: 29 lbs (mind you this bag was practically EMPTY since I have been walking Harding Park every weekend, no extra stuff in my bag.)

New Bag fully loaded: 25.5 lbs!!!!! (ALL MY STUFF FROM THE OLD BAG!!!!!)

Old bag empty (w/ straps): 7.3 lbs

New bag empty (w/ straps): 4 lbs

14 WAY DIVIDER vs 4 WAY:

I THOUGHT a 14 divider would be easier on the shaft, easier on the clubs, and avoid tangling. However, the TM 14 way divider did not have full dividers that went to the bottom of the bag, probably had to save weight as the bag is already pretty darn heavy w/ straps.

So far i like the SM 4 way top. Everything fits in much more easily than before. It hasn't been a battle to get clubs in or out and this includes my putter w/ an oversized grip.

STORAGE:

Obviously a bag with 9 pockets is going to have better reviews here. I mean, the thing had a velour lined pocket for range finders!!! It had pockets inside of pockets, literally! However, and I asked this above, when you have so much storage, what do you do? You store stuff!! When I emptied out the old bag to start walking courses, I was taking out rain gear, cold weather gear, old yardage books and score cards, A full dozen golfballs, brand new, in the box, slippers, sox... I mean the list goes on... remember when I said I lived in Orange County? where it rains 3 days out of the year and most golf is dessert golf... so yeah, i guess I was kind of a hoarder...

The new bag has 5 usable pockets, the site says 6 but they are counting the water pouch as a pocket and for the sake of me not hoarding I'm making it exclusive for water...ok maybe a flask if it has good scotch. But the thing is, all my stuff fits! and there is plenty of room left over. light jacket, balls, tees, range finder, gloves... its all there, nothing got left behind!! (I'm a new man, no more hoarding in my golf bag.)

CARRY STRAP SYSTEMS:

It's pretty much a wash here. The TM system looks in every way identical to the 2013 SM system. The new system for 2014 has a little plastic piece that allows for the left strap to move around a bit... I fail to see the benefit as of yet. However, the bag itself sits a bit higher and feels better balanced. I think that has to do with the overall length of the bag, it's shorter so it seems to work better with the straps. Adjustment was super easy, walking feels more natural.

OVERALL:

Pretty stoked thus far. Feels like this was a good purchase and will encourage more walking. Being back in Nor-Cal I had forgotten how many walkable courses there are. In the OC most places force you to ride due to distance between holes, pace of play, and severe elevation changes.

I will say that I am impressed with the quality of the old TM bag. It was going on 4 years and LOOKS and PERFORMS like new. I hope to be able to say the same about the new SM bag 4 years from now.

[quote name='Ernie1060' timestamp='1382649416' post='8052975']
So after some research and in person comparisons between this bag and the ping hoofer series 4, I pulled the trigger and got the SM. Being the nerdy, techy, lawyer type, I performed several tests/weigh-ins.

I am coming from a 2009/10 TM hybrid 2.0... massive storage with 9 bags. (really its 8, but it has a bag to store the carry straps if you use a cart more than you walk). It has a 14 way divider and for the most part, while I lived in the OC, spent its time strapped to the back of my cart.

findings:

WEIGHT:

Old bag fully loaded: 29 lbs (mind you this bag was practically EMPTY since I have been walking Harding Park every weekend, no extra stuff in my bag.)

New Bag fully loaded: 25.5 lbs!!!!! (ALL MY STUFF FROM THE OLD BAG!!!!!)

Old bag empty (w/ straps): 7.3 lbs

New bag empty (w/ straps): 4 lbs

14 WAY DIVIDER vs 4 WAY:

I THOUGHT a 14 divider would be easier on the shaft, easier on the clubs, and avoid tangling. However, the TM 14 way divider did not have full dividers that went to the bottom of the bag, probably had to save weight as the bag is already pretty darn heavy w/ straps.

So far i like the SM 4 way top. Everything fits in much more easily than before. It hasn't been a battle to get clubs in or out and this includes my putter w/ an oversized grip.

STORAGE:

Obviously a bag with 9 pockets is going to have better reviews here. I mean, the thing had a velour lined pocket for range finders!!! It had pockets inside of pockets, literally! However, and I asked this above, when you have so much storage, what do you do? You store stuff!! When I emptied out the old bag to start walking courses, I was taking out rain gear, cold weather gear, old yardage books and score cards, A full dozen golfballs, brand new, in the box, slippers, sox... I mean the list goes on... remember when I said I lived in Orange County? where it rains 3 days out of the year and most golf is dessert golf... so yeah, i guess I was kind of a hoarder...

The new bag has 5 usable pockets, the site says 6 but they are counting the water pouch as a pocket and for the sake of me not hoarding I'm making it exclusive for water...ok maybe a flask if it has good scotch. But the thing is, all my stuff fits! and there is plenty of room left over. light jacket, balls, tees, range finder, gloves... its all there, nothing got left behind!! (I'm a new man, no more hoarding in my golf bag.)

CARRY STRAP SYSTEMS:

It's pretty much a wash here. The TM system looks in every way identical to the 2013 SM system. The new system for 2014 has a little plastic piece that allows for the left strap to move around a bit... I fail to see the benefit as of yet. However, the bag itself sits a bit higher and feels better balanced. I think that has to do with the overall length of the bag, it's shorter so it seems to work better with the straps. Adjustment was super easy, walking feels more natural.

OVERALL:
Ping is a great bag I would have taken a closer look if I had owned anything ping. The 14 way divider is nice but I was not willing to give up the pound for it. Keep enjoying your walks my last walk of 2013 is too close for comfort.

Pretty stoked thus far. Feels like this was a good purchase and will encourage more walking. Being back in Nor-Cal I had forgotten how many walkable courses there are. In the OC most places force you to ride due to distance between holes, pace of play, and severe elevation changes.

I will say that I am impressed with the quality of the old TM bag. It was going on 4 years and LOOKS and PERFORMS like new. I hope to be able to say the same about the new SM bag 4 years from now.
[/quote]

• 4 weeks later...

i'm also looking at this bag, but just by comparing the tech sheets against the 2014 H2NO Ultra Lite it seems the H2No is more attractive (waterproof) and only 0.1 to 0.3 lbs heavier,

has anyone else done this comparison?

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

[quote name='matn15' timestamp='1381565664' post='7990869']
Just bought this bag and had it shipped to Australia.....super bag.....light, practical, carries well....highly recommend!!!
[/quote]

i live in AUS too, which site did u buy it from? the usual online shops i use (e.g. gppgolf, golfdiscount, globalgolf) don't seem to have this in stock

Callaway Epic Subzero 9.5° [i]Oban Devotion 65-04[/i]
Tour Edge Exotics XCG-7 15° [i]Oban Devotion 75-04[/i]
Miura 1957 Small Blades 3-PW [i]Nippon Modus 125S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 52.08 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Titleist Vokey SM5 58.07 [i]KBS Tour 120S[/i]
Scotty Cameron Select Newport 34"

• 3 weeks later...

[quote name='3riC' timestamp='1384935162' post='8176648']
[quote name='matn15' timestamp='1381565664' post='7990869']
Just bought this bag and had it shipped to Australia.....super bag.....light, practical, carries well....highly recommend!!!
[/quote]

i live in AUS too, which site did u buy it from? the usual online shops i use (e.g. gppgolf, golfdiscount, globalgolf) don't seem to have this in stock
[/quote]

Apologies for the delay in responding....I got the bag (and another!) from Golfsmith....shipping cost was very competitive, especially for two bags, so it ended up being a great transaction!

• 4 weeks later...

Would anyone that has purchased this bag be willing to post some pictures or add additional feedback? I have a Golfsmith card coming for cashing in my hotel reward points for work and am having trouble choosing which color to buy! Currently looking at the red/black, green/white, black/orange, and black/yellow/grey. Thanks!

My pictures are above. I love the bag. my local golf galaxy had all colors in stock. you may be be able to look at them at your store.

[quote name='jcorna01' timestamp='1388692563' post='8386185']
Would anyone that has purchased this bag be willing to post some pictures or add additional feedback? I have a Golfsmith card coming for cashing in my hotel reward points for work and am having trouble choosing which color to buy! Currently looking at the red/black, green/white, black/orange, and black/yellow/grey. Thanks!
[/quote]

Look for the H2No if you can--the additional waterproofing is awesome!

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

Just bought this bag two days ago, and I have to say it is sweet! Haven't been able to hit the course yet with it, but I did take it to the range, and I have to say I agree with everything you mentioned about the bag doctorjedi.

Titleist TSR3 10.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 5

Titleist TSR3 16.5° Graphite Design AD-UB 7

Titleist TSR2 21° Graphite Design AD-UB 8

Taylormade P790 4 - PW Dynamic Gold 105

Titleist Vokey SM8 50° Dynamic Gold 105
Titleist Vokey SM9 54°, 58° KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Just purchased this bag yesterday in the gray and red.

Overall I love the weight of this bag and the legs actually work (previous titleist bag, the legs were awful). Enough pockets to fit all my stuff and can carry a couple clothing items.

Only complaint is I'm really not liking the towel loop too much. I'm just used to an actual loop made from plastic and this comes with a loop that is basically stitched on material that looks pretty cheap. Just not quite sure of the durability. Hopefully it will not be an issue.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='Ernie1060' timestamp='1382649416' post='8052975']
CARRY STRAP SYSTEMS:

It's pretty much a wash here. The TM system looks in every way identical to the 2013 SM system. The new system for 2014 has a little plastic piece that allows for the left strap to move around a bit... I fail to see the benefit as of yet. However, the bag itself sits a bit higher and feels better balanced.

[/quote]

Any of you who bought Three 5, to be concerned about the auto fit strap system. It looks to me that the plastic could be fragile (the piece where the strap slides). Ready to pull the trigger for a Three 5, but want to hear others opinion first. Was also looking at Ping Hoofer, which is roughly same price.

[b]WITB:[/b]
[b]Driver: Ping G 400 SFT 10*[/b]
[b]Fairway: Callaway XR 16 5w[/b]
[b]Hybrids: Ping G 400 5h[/b]
[b]Irons: Mizuno 900 HM 6-GW[/b]
[b]Wedges: Cleveland RTX 3 54/58*[/b]
[b]Putter: Odyssey Works Versa 9 HT[/b]
[b]Bag: Sun Mountain 3.5[/b]

I think the Three 5 is the same as the Titleist light weight bag? I have that one, and love the 9 inch top, even with only 4 dividers (wish it had 6 like previous models). Easy to carry, and tons of room. Not a big fan of how the umbrella holder works, but don't have it on the bag most of the time anyway.

WITB

Titleist TSR3 - HZRDUS Black

Stealth+ 2.0 at 16 degrees

G430 7 wood, flat minus 1.5

Ping I210's (again)

Glide 4.0 48, 53, 58

Ping Anser PLD

Pro V1X 

Bag - Hoofer Lite

More Pics please from the Color Options in real World....

Driver: Callaway Epic MAX LS 9* Tensei AV Raw white 60 S
Fairway: Callaway Paratem Triple Diamond 3 Wood HZRDUS Smoke Black 70 6.0

DI: Titleist U500 23* HZRDUS Smoke Black 90 6.0
Irons: Titleist T100 5-Gap Project X LZ 6.5
Wedges: Taylormade Hi Toe 54/60 Project X LZ 6.5
Putter: Odyssey O Works 7
Ball: Vice Pro

Grips: Golf Pride MCC Plus 4 Midsize Teams

• 1 month later...

Just got this bag in black/orange. Looks great with my amp forged irons in it and x2 hot 2 deep. Perfect color match!
Now I have one complaint/question:
I am 5'8 170lbs a bit thick chested. The instructions on strap adjustment included was for the xstrap model.
Seems the handle sticks into my back a bit. Figure adjusting the straps should fix it.Been playing around a bit and not sure best way to adjust it.

First question is given this bag design at what level should the foam padding sit? In the small of the back? Higher?
Once the bag is on the shoulders, do you pull the straps tight for s snug fit against the back or leave it loos and more of a hang?
The 2 straps that attach to the upper part of the bag (when sitting on the shoulders) can be adjusted too. Just not sure what is ideal for me. If any one can guide me to have the bag hang in a way so nothing digs into the back and suggest best height the bag should sit I would appreciate it.

• 3 months later...

After having played, and carried, close to 50 rounds I can attest that this is really a well made and very light stand bag. My only complaint, well two actually, are with pockets and rainhood.

The pockets are too long and touch the ground whenever the bag is set Dow. This means they get wet, dirty, and are starting to fray.

The rainhood, like most rain hoods, could be easier to put on and use once on. I tried a Seaforth but that won't fit due to the raised handle and strap integration.

Other than that it is holding up quite well and I really enjoy it. I didn't notice a big difference in the strap slider but it does work well.