Titleist 690.MB

The Titleist 690.MB fall into the same vein as the Mizuno MP-33: a clean, no nonsense, long from heel to toe muscleback iron. The 690.MB has a better leading edge grind than the MP-33, while containing a slightly more firm feel. This firm feel allows the golfer to know precisely where the ball has struck the face.

These forged heads are nowhere NEAR being harsh, and are consistent performers from a variety of lies. The pitching wedge is not funky looking like some Japanese forgings, and the thin toplines provide confidence for mid/low handicappers at the address position.

If you like the MP-33 but prefrer a slightly firm feel and better leading edge, these are your irons.

The only thing I had to do was flatten the lie angles and take off Titleist's stock cord grips. Other than that, these babies are perfect.

Previous irons: Mizuno MP-14

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

• 3 weeks later...

Agree that they are very similar to the 33s. Played them for about two years and was happy with them overall except ballflight was a touch too high for me. Swapped out the S300s for TFR 6.0s and results were much better.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*
3 Wood: Titleist 915f 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19*
Irons: Titleist 716 CB 4-7; 716 MB 8-P
Wedges: Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style

i have these irons..with S300's..i LOVE them..being a 2 handicap..i must add that these irons a very forgiving..and not from a weekend golfers standpoint but an advanced players standpoint..i love how they are wider from heel to toe than opposed to most of mizunos..they most defenitely have that feel that when you struckthe ball..you could take it wwithout looking at the face and know where you struck the ball..and i love that..getting that response and knowing what u need to fix..i give em a 9/10....GREAT IRONS :tongue:

• 4 weeks later...

The Titleist 690.MB fall into the same vein as the Mizuno MP-33: a clean, no nonsense, long from heel to toe muscleback iron. The 690.MB has a better leading edge grind than the MP-33, while containing a slightly more firm feel. This firm feel allows the golfer to know precisely where the ball has struck the face.

These forged heads are nowhere NEAR being harsh, and are consistent performers from a variety of lies. The pitching wedge is not funky looking like some Japanese forgings, and the thin toplines provide confidence for mid/low handicappers at the address position.

If you like the MP-33 but prefrer a slightly firm feel and better leading edge, these are your irons.

The only thing I had to do was flatten the lie angles and take off Titleist's stock cord grips. Other than that, these babies are perfect.

No offence Classic!! I disagree

I played the MP33s for quite some time. I think they are the best irons ever. I have always been a Mizuno fan though. As you write the soft Mizuno feel is very special, I loved it and I could tell where I hit the ball on the clubface.

When I had to switch to Titleist irons I was very lucky that they had just released the improved " . " versions of the 690s because I didn't like the feedback at all, way too hard!!!!

So yes the 690.MB are better than the 690MB by far, feelwise. But I also prefer the looks of the MP33s with the slightly shorter blade and a much higher heel which actually made the blede look even shorter and more compact.

An opinion such as this is always very subjective of course!

Gooze

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

I just got the 690 mbs the other day and I must say they are easy to hit...........I hit these as long as my old Tungsten Callaways...............I hit my 9 around 150 w/each club...........

These have to be the best blades I have ever played, even the long irons are easy to hit!!!!!

No lie, yesterday.............224 yard Par 3.........I pulled out the 2 iron and stuck two shots within 10 feet.......that in itself is awesome for hitting a 2 iron............never before have I hit 2 irons this good.

If only I was a better putter I would be on Tour!!!!.............but 9 more years and the Senior Tour is calling!!!

BTW.........the Cleveland HiBore Tour is the best driver out there as well........especially for feel!!!!

Consistently 280 to 300 with this club and this is in Missouri...........

Driver: Cleveland Hi Bore Tour

3 Wood: Mizuno

Irons: 690mbs

Wedge: Cleveland 588

These obviously aren't as desired as the 681's or even the 670's and 680's but for me the tour usage speaks volumes.

This was the blade that the Titleist pro's (certainly in europe) had in the bag. A lot of them are still using them as well e.g Simon Dyson, Ross Fisher (look out for him by the way).

Definately a classic!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have the Titleist 690.mb's.

They are more upright and 1/2" longer.

Most forgiving blade I have ever tried. Lower CG, higher ball flight.

I know there has to be more, because (different grooves) PGA Value Guide rates them newer but lower priced than the dotless.

I don't care.....best irons I ever had! ;)

Re looking at PGA value Guide now has the dots higher priced.

• 11 months later...

I have to say that the 690MB is a modern classic. I can't think of one thing I don't like about them - except they eventually wear a bit.

:rolleyes: Titleist 905T 9.5 degree UST Proforce V2 Stiff 66g

Titleist 980F 15 degree Grafalloy Prolite Red Stiff

Titleist 690MB (not dot) 2-iron DG S300

Titleist 690.MB (dot) 3-PW DG S300

Vokey Black Nickel 54-10 Sand Wedge DG S200

Vokey Black Nickel 58-08 Lob Wedge DG S200 ( bent to 59 degrees + personal grind)

Scotty Cameron Studio Stainless Newport 2 34" 340g

Titleist Pro V1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

I just purchased a set of these used in absolute great condition. I have played lots of blades over the last 3 years and these are by far the best to date. These are replacing my Mizuno 60 & 67 combo set. The feel is undeniable and the ability to work the ball is superb. I have played both Nike and the Titleist 695mb and these look better at address than any of the others. These will definitely be in the bag for a while.

I just purchased a set of these used in absolute great condition. I have played lots of blades over the last 3 years and these are by far the best to date. These are replacing my Mizuno 60 & 67 combo set. The feel is undeniable and the ability to work the ball is superb. I have played both Nike and the Titleist 695mb and these look better at address than any of the others. These will definitely be in the bag for a while.

Congrats man...these have been in my bag for 5 years with no regrets.

They're a little knackered, but they're showing no real sweet spot wear, so I'm still in love.

TaylorMade 2017 M1 440 8.5° Driver == Project X HZRDUS Black 65 6.5
TaylorMade 2017 M2 Tour 15° FW == Project X HZRDUS Black 75 6.5
Titleist 816H2 19° Hybrid == Veylix Rome 988 S+
Miura 1957 Small Blade 4-PW Irons == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Vokey SM6 50°, 54°, 58° Custom Wedges == TT Project X LZ 6.5
Titleist Scotty Cameron "Cameron & Crown" M2 Putter
Nike RZN Tour Black Golf Balls

• 3 years later...

[quote name='MBA-J' timestamp='1130769531' post='57923']

[/quote]

[size=4]"This firm feel allows the golfer to know precisely where the ball has struck the face." P-L-E-A-S-E! I'll ask where golfers "exactly" hit the face. They will be making a wild guess unless it was extreme toe or extreme heel. As can be easily proven with high speed cameras.

Think about this. [color=#222222]There is no magical sensation from 690.MB metal particles traveling up the shaft providing firmer feed back to the golfer, compared to the MP-33[/color]
[color=#222222]Think about it before you also repeat the same wives tales over and over. This magical firm "feel" and the not so firm "feel" both pass through an identical layer of epoxy, an identical shaft, an identical layer of grip tape, an identical rubber grip. Still think the 690.MB still provides magical "slightly more firm feel” to the hands? NOT! [/color]

[color=#222222]Why do people perpetuate such myths? Sounds like a bunch of parrots repeating advertising department shtick.[/color]

[color=#222222]Futher more "the thin toplines provide confidence for mid/low handicappers at the address position." Now why exactly would a high handicapper feel out of sorts looking down on a thin topline? Or not looking at a thick top line? Or a low handicapper looking down at a thick top line? Oh my god I am coming unravled and lacking confidence as I look down at the top line! Not! I use both 1963 Hogan IPT blades and 2001 Hogan Apex Edge irons that are massively different in design. I can honestly say that I never pay any attention at all to the topline when I use either.[/color]

I am reminded of many a case where spectators comment long windedly and oh so profoundly as to why so and so did what he did. Afterwords so and so was asked how it was that he pulled such a marvelous feat with great cunning and skill. The person replies, huh? no I really had to go to the bathroom and was just trying to get it overwith.

Sounds like a bunch of parrots repeating advertising department shtick[/size]

• 3 months later...

I play my 690's tipped a quarter inch and 2 degrees flat. Last sets played were Wilson Staff Fluid Feel, that were in the bag for 10 years, and Wilson FG51's, which I loved, but got traded in by my son on a set of Mizzys while I was out of the country. Was real upset about the 51's until I found the 690mbs. Maybe the combo of the setup, being a quater inch short and 2 degrees flat, and the clubs themselves, but can honestly say they are the best forged blade I have played.

• 1 month later...

[quote name='fore_life' timestamp='1342760671' post='5313748']
Wow, nice rant, 7 years in the making.
[/quote]

7 years? makes 5 years come to mind. 5 years is what Johnny Miller told Jack Nicklaus when Jack asked him what he was working on. Miller said for the last 5 years he was trying to feel impact. Nicklaus said it is impossible to feel impact. Miller replied no, after 5 years of trying I think I can actually feel impact. (Miller Golf Clinic videos)

Now back to the original "rant" If it took Miller 5 years to think he could feel impact and Nicklause said it is not possible, then I highly doubt that I or any other weekender can report which club tells us where we hit the ball on the face better than the other club. But certainly one club does make us respond more positively than another for whatever reason. But as for "feedback" it is deliberately minimized by Titleist. from the Titleist web site 690MB "Special neutralizer dowel in hosel absorbs unwanted impact vibration- intensifies solid feel and provides hosel strength." http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/irons/2002-690MB-Forged-Muscle-Back-Irons.aspx

My point is not to debate but to clear the smoke for those considering blades as to why to get them. I bought the 690's because they do not mask a poor swing. I can thus learn and get better. As far as magical feedback qualities I don't think I am more in tune than Jack Nicklaus.

• 2 months later...

I'm a high-handicapper however its mostly due to my poor chipping. When I first picked up the game I wanted to start on a set of blades bc I liked the sleek look and design and I'm the type of person that doesn't dig "training wheels," however I was talked out of getting some by my older brother and into using some hand-me-down GI irons to see if I liked the game enough. Well I finally decided to look into blades and found these for cheap and heard good things about them so I bought them. I now wish I could go give my bro a swift kick in the arse. From the second I got these it's been no turning back. I gave up my razrx forged irons for these because I absolutely love the feedback. I can hit these straight as an arrow or I can work the ball left or right with ease. Really can't get over how much I love these irons. Definitely a forgiving blade for sure but you also have to have a bit of ball striking to be able to play any kind of blade. Also I can finally hit a high draw with these clubs which is something I've never been able to do. Another funny thing is that I've never been able to really hit a 3iron before for some reason, but I can smash the crap out of this 3iron. Would defintely recommend this set if you're looking to get into blades because they can be found cheap on ebay and are great for what they are.

I have played the 690 mbs for 11 years . I am afraid to change because I like my ball flight so much. But as far as playing blades making high handicap better because it refines their swings and helps them work the ball is a load of crap.

RFX 9.5 Tour AD DI 7X
909 F3 15 73x BB
913HD 18 UST AXIVCore Black 104X
712CB 4-5 712 MB 6-PW C-Taper S+
SM4 52 & TVD 60 S400
Cameron Oil Can Newport

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I still play these sometimes and absolutely love them. I have 690.mb(3-pw) and the 690cb (3-pw). Paid 200 for both in pretty good condition but need new grips on the cbs

I will reiterate what others have said, these are the easiest blades to play I have tried.

Feel is superb. As far as one grouchy troll who ranted after 7 yrs locked up in a cave wrote about feel, I've always taken the comment about being able to tell where u hit it to mean; pure, low, high, heel, or toe and u can tell that, but there is a subjective response to sound as well to let one think these things.

A odd experiment is to play headphones playing music or ear plugs....

I don't think it is intended to mean, "I hit it 2cm to the left of sweetspot, 6 mm south."

On some ping clubs it is not as obvious(I've only played the g5. G10, g25, i15) imo...

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
...But as far as playing blades making high handicap better because it refines their swings and helps them work the ball is a load of crap.

But blades can improve your golf swing by giving you greater feedback.

• Like 1

In the Bag:

• Titleist 690MB Forged Irons 3-PW
  • TaylorMade M3 Driver with TENSEI Blue Stiff Shaft
  • TaylorMade V-Steel 15° 3-Wood
  • Titleist Spin Milled 56° and 60° Wedges
  • Scotty Cameron Newport Mil-Spec Putter