what club do you chip with

Collo_23 ·  
Collo_23Collo_23 Members  384WRX Points: 50Handicap: 0.0Posts: 384 Greens
tell us what club you chip with
just wondering what club you chip with around the greens as i cant find a real winner as to what to chip with i mostly use 8 iron but i want to start perfecting the wedges to get them real close with a bit of check
Posted:

Comments

• ShaitanShaitan Jr. Boomers  2056WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,056
    Anything, but I'd say for a chip it will generally be 9i (1 part carry to 3 parts roll) or PW (1 part carry 2 parts roll), unless its either quite long, short...or there is something up with the green that i have to carry it further
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • resist_hard.resist_hard. Account Hold  906WRX Points: 0Posts: 906
    Like an idiot i go for every flag and usually short side myself. So 90% of my chipping is done with either a LW or SW.
    Posted:
  • Slapjax7s Slapjax7s JERSEYMembers  2005WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,005 BST Banned
    I use a 54* wedge. Mostly play bump and runs, no need to get high loft around the greens. Very trusted wedge for me.
    Posted:
  • smithjohnjrsmithjohnjr Grinder16 Members  839WRX Points: 61Handicap: +2.5Posts: 839 Golden Tee
    54 or 58. Usually 58. can hit it low or high. 90 percent of use is 58, 54 only if I have a long chip. I try to use one club and learn to hit many different shots with it
    Posted:
  • BogeysBGoneBogeysBGone Members  274WRX Points: 0Posts: 274
    Collo1992 wrote on Oct 28 2008, 06:22 AM:
    just wondering what club you chip with around the greens as i cant find a real winner as to what to chip with i mostly use 8 iron but i want to start perfecting the wedges to get them real close with a bit of check

I agree with Shaitan.

From your comment, it sounds like your ball does NOT check now? If not - I'd simply work on your technique for a little while to learn to pinch the ball. Then getting it close is as simple as understanding the "air/roll ratios" for your clubs and for normal shots.

Air/Roll ratios for me on normal shots are:

56* - 1/2

PW 1/3 (meaning if it flies 1 yard, it will check and roll 3 yards more)

I tend to use the PW more than the SW, and use the SW when I need to hit it higher than a PW.

So as you approach the green - I "break up" the distance b/t the ball and the hole into 4ths - see below (Assume the X is the flag and the . is the ball. )

X __ __ __x__ . (assume I'm hitting right to left)

With PW I would pick a spot at x to land the ball - and with PW it will run 3 times farther and go into the hole at X. Hope this helps.

FYI (I also actually look at where x ought to be - then try to actually land it 18 inches past x (so that the ball will actually make it past the hole at X).
    Posted:
  • mditans10mditans10 Members  27WRX Points: 0Posts: 27
    Either 54* or 58* 95% of the time i use my 58* though
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • projamieprojamie 2 iron in the MBs? Could have alot of fun with that... Members  812WRX Points: 0Posts: 812
    Use whatever the shot requires... today for instance i used a 60*, 54*, 8 iron, 5 wood, Putter... Thats 5 clubs for 5 different situations... Whatever situation you are in, play which ever shot is required, dont use a 54* all the time just because thats what you think you should chip with...

When i pulled the 5 wood out my partner looked at me in shock, then i stuck it to 2 inches... Step out of your comfort zone and practice some shots and you might find you can play things you never knew you could...
    Posted:
  • TM golf guyTM golf guy Members  9985WRX Points: 1Posts: 9,985 Titanium Tees
    Anything from a 7 iron to my 60°. Just depends on the shot. I would say the majority of my chips are with my PW, 56°, and 60° though.
    Posted:
  • xan_userxan_user Members  875WRX Points: 0Posts: 875
    7,8,9,pw,54*,58*.
    Posted:
    "Please accept my resignation.
    I don’t care to belong to any club that
    will have me as a member".
  • SHEROSHERO SHERO Jr. Boomers  727WRX Points: 0Posts: 727
    [quote name='BogeysBGone' date='Oct 28 2008, 03:47 PM' post='1309991'.

FYI (I also actually look at where x ought to be - then try to actually land it 18 inches past x (so that the ball will actually make it past the hole at X).

[/quote]

By your logic, this would mean you would hit it 72" or 6' past with a PW and and 54" past with a sand wedge.
    Posted:
  • funkyfedorafunkyfedora Members  2212WRX Points: 2Posts: 2,212 Platinum Tees
    projamie wrote on Oct 28 2008, 02:35 PM:
    When i pulled the 5 wood out my partner looked at me in shock, then i stuck it to 2 inches... Step out of your comfort zone and practice some shots and you might find you can play things you never knew you could...

I've gotten that look quite a few times. Then It turns to amazement when Im closer than them.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • BogeysBGoneBogeysBGone Members  274WRX Points: 0Posts: 274
    Shero - no.

Based on the diagram I drew, you actually want to land the ball 1.5 feet farther than the landing spot in the diagram - to give the ball a chance to go into or past the hole.

Technically speaking the diagram will only get you to the front edge of the cup.

It's just adding 1.5 feet/18 inches.
    Posted:
  • bryceruddbrycerudd It's a dry heat Members  215WRX Points: 0Posts: 215
    I use my 60* lob wedge for 95% of my shots around the green. I have a good feel for distance with it. Its probably my most versitile club.
    Posted:
  • STD000STD000 Members  60WRX Points: 0Posts: 60
    depends on the situation, but mostly 8i or 52*
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.