Golfers who went thru ALOT of putters: Advice on insert putters?

shGGman ·  
shGGmanshGGman Members  509WRX Points: 0Posts: 509
I need this kind of putter feel..
I currently use YES! putter Marilyn. While yes putter feels very nice, I crave something a little more softer, not too hot off the face.

I used Odyssey HOT XG previously, and that insert is too mushy for my taste.

I used Ping Karsten, and felt like using a hammer after a while. too hard for my taste.

I used Scotty Cameron X2 center-shafted version. While I did like the feel of it, I dropped it cause of center-shaft.

Since I don't want to spend anything above $200 on a putter, scotty cameron is no longer an option.

It doesn't have to have an insert, as long it feels soft enough but not enough to give you the "mushy" feel.

Any idea?
Posted:

Comments

• jefffannjefffann pablo Members  202WRX Points: 0Posts: 202
    Try picking up an old spalding tp mills cheap.They have a great feel IMO
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members  2533WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,533
    Taylormade Itsy Bitsy Spider FTW!
    Posted:
  • EzgolferEzgolfer Members  3176WRX Points: 146Posts: 3,176 Titanium Tees
    Check the macgregor DCT thread .One of the best inserts not too hard, soft not mushy . You can get 5 for 200 bucks ......

Great putters
    Posted:
  • oregongolforegongolf Lefty Boomers  8606WRX Points: 190Posts: 8,606 Titanium Tees
    TeI3.

Hands down!
    Posted:
  • KingKongKingKong Members  2090WRX Points: 125Posts: 2,090 Platinum Tees
    Gauge Design/Whitlam by far.

PM me if you have any questions about them.
    Posted:

SIM 9* w/ ZF 70TX
    SIM 15* w/ ZF 80TX
    U510 2 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 70x
    Z785/Z Forged w/ Modus 120x
    SM7 Blue 52/58 w/ Modus 125S

ER2B

• Bomb and GougeBomb and Gouge Members  2533WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,533
    TeI3 is about as soft as it gets....too soft for many greens- IMO.

Though I am excited about trying out my new Buttonback!!
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • yoshiod9yoshiod9 Copper? Nice... Members  1104WRX Points: 60Handicap: 6.6Posts: 1,104 Platinum Tees
    i think that a byron morgan 006 oil can with a sound slot (possibly making it sound/feel softer, depending on who you are talking to) will work perfectly for you.

it's made from carbon steel ("softer" than stainless) and with a sound slot, it sounds/feels even softer than a carbon putter without a slot.

i came from gaming an Odyssey two ball white steel, SC studio style, SC TeI3 to using my 006 oil can and the feel is perfect for me. you can get them on ebay sometimes for a little over $200 but they are well worth the cost. i think the brand new cost is around $285 shipped. pm z-man if you really have any questions!

good luck and let us know what you choose to do!
    Posted:
  • CenterOfPercussionCenterOfPercussion CenterOfPercussion Members  154WRX Points: 0Handicap: 5Posts: 154
    Have a look at the new Cleveland Classic series
    Posted:
  • mattl2787mattl2787 Members  1245WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,245
    The Ping G2i or G5 series putters...the Craz-E is a very nice putter for well under $200.
    Posted:
  • BILL12xBILL12x Members  1403WRX Points: 0Handicap: 3Posts: 1,403
    Putters with a heavily milled or grooved face feel very soft. Try the Cleveland Classics or a Rife. They feel very soft without the "mushy" feel.
    Posted:
  • CroddadCroddad What it’s all about Members  656WRX Points: 60Posts: 656 Golden Tee
    I can't believe no one has said the Ping I-series...By FAR the best feeling insert putter I've ever putted with. Firm but springy feel with the feedback that all other insert putters have lacked IMHO.

image/drinks.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':drinks:' />
    Posted:
    Proud Walking Golfer
    What's in my Ping Hoofer Monsoon bag:
    Ping G400 LST 8.5* X Tour 65g
    Titleist 917F3 15* X 82g Diamana ‘ahina
    Titleist 915h1 21* X Diamana S+ 75Hy
    Titleist 718 T-MB 3 iron ProjectX PXi 6.0
    Ping iBlades red dot 4-PW ProjectX 6.0
    Titleist Vokey SM7 M grind 54 & 59 1* flat ProjectX 6.0
    Ping Vault 2.0 Stealth Piper 34.5” w/black Ping cord grip

Advertisement
  • hoosiervolunteerhoosiervolunteer Members  883WRX Points: 0Posts: 883
    Odyssey white steel or black series i?
    Posted:
  • Jer-JerJer-Jer Members  2943WRX Points: 136Posts: 2,943 Titanium Tees
    I think you would like the Odyssey White Hot Tour putters. I like you didn't like the XG as I thought it was too soft. The White Hot Tour insert is more lively and comes off the face better. I had a Ping Karsten Anser putter and didn't like it either. Pretty cheap as well. I have been through MANY putters too.
    Posted:
  • ryborybo Members  2239WRX Points: 133Handicap: +1.6Posts: 2,239 Platinum Tees
    blutoothed wrote on Jan 21 2009, 10:24 PM:
    I currently use YES! putter Marilyn. While yes putter feels very nice, I crave something a little more softer, not too hot off the face.

I used Ping Karsten, and felt like using a hammer after a while. too hard for my taste.

I used Scotty Cameron X2 center-shafted version. While I did like the feel of it, I dropped it cause of center-shaft.

Since I don't want to spend anything above $200 on a putter, scotty cameron is no longer an option.

It doesn't have to have an insert, as long it feels soft enough but not enough to give you the "mushy" feel.

Any idea?

blutoothed,

Try an original Odyssey White Hot putter. Non of that mushy feeling like the XG. A touch softer than the White Hot Tour Insert. You could try many of the older models for < $200. My favorite is the #5. Odyssey should re-release some of the new designs with the original White Hot insert, a #7 or a Sabertooth with the original White Hot insert would be insanely good.
    Posted:
  • hogan234hogan234 Members  2386WRX Points: 114Posts: 2,386 Platinum Tees
    blutoothed wrote on Jan 21 2009, 10&#58;24 PM:

Any idea?

If you like the feel of the Red X2, why not get the original Red X? It's a mallet, but is not face balanced and does have a slight toe hang. You should be able to find them used for under $200.
    Posted:
    Cobra S3 9.5* Matrix X-Con 5
    Titleist 975F 14.5* Prolite 35+
    Yonex Ezone 18* 5 Wood 
    Mizuno MX11 4 Iron Exsar Blue
    Mizuno MX25 5-PW Exsar IS-2
    Mizuno MP-T 51* Exsar IS-2
    Mizuno MP-T 58* SteelFiber i85
    Yonex Forged Putter
    ProV1x/KSig
  • MchSt805MchSt805 Members  2101WRX Points: 0Posts: 2,101
    White Hot Tour or Black i-Series both have slightly more firm inserts than the XG's if that's your thing.
    Posted:
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Driver: Ping G30
    3-Wood: Exotics E8
    Hybrid: Adams Idea Pro
    Irons: TaylorMade R7
    Wedges: Scratch 1018
    Putter: Scotty Cameron Red X5[/font]

Advertisement
  • FurrankeeFurrankee Banned  994WRX Points: 0Posts: 994
    Choosing a putter with an insert means that you have no feel with your hands.76.89.199.190
    Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • abmsabms Members  328WRX Points: 0Posts: 328
    spalding cash in baby! $5 for the best putter on the planet.
    Posted:
  • mattl2787mattl2787 Members  1245WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,245
    Furrankee wrote on Jan 23 2009, 12&#58;17 AM:
    Choosing a putter with an insert means that you have no feel with your hands.

No...
    Posted:
  • PA1PA1 Club Champion Members  291WRX Points: 0Posts: 291
    If you found something you liked in the scotty, find one on ebay without the center shaft. They can be had cheap.
    Posted:
  • CanuckCanuck Members  730WRX Points: 0Posts: 730
    Furrankee wrote on Jan 23 2009, 12&#58;17 AM:
    Choosing a putter with an insert means that you have no feel with your hands.

Sorry but that doesn't make any sense.

Some folks don't like inserts. Fair enough, but a blanket statement like that is not true.

There are quite a few pros, guys who's living depends upon their golf, who used insert putters. And if they had "no feel", they certainly wouldn't use them. But that is not the case.
    Posted:

Advertisement
  • WookieedogWookieedog Members  952WRX Points: 0Posts: 952
    the Tour Authentic line from Odyssey

Odyssey White Hot Tour

Ping I series

Cameron Squareback/Fastback (soft feel for non-insert. I would call it a medium firm feel and can be had for under $200 on Fleasbay)
    Posted:
  • MoaningMMoaningM Members  1355WRX Points: 122Handicap: ScrPosts: 1,355 Platinum Tees
    Try either any of the berylium putter from Ping, much softer than the SS versions, there is also for a few more quid the BENI version of the same.
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.