looking for new wedges similar to the OG Nike Forged black

Brick TamlandBrick Tamland Posts: 266 ✭✭
My well-loved wedges are starting to show their age and not spin the ball like they used to. For those that have tried the new offerings, what do you think is most similar? Things I like about the Nikes:

1) dark raw finish

2) straight-ish leading edge (not a fan of tear-drop shaped wedges)

3) forged feel

I'm going to eventually get fit but there are a ton of options these days, so I'm interested in people's opinions to narrow it down a bit.

ni-w03303-5984bd794256f.jpg
Cobra Fly-Z+, Matrix VLCT
Cobra Fly-Z+ 3 Wood, Matrix VLCT
Nike VR Pro 3-4 Hybrids, PX6.0
Nike Covert Forged 5-AW, DG Pro S300
Nike Forged Black, 54/60
Scotty GoLo

Comments

• sleezytsleezyt Posts: 364 ✭✭
    Callaway md4 ticks all those boxes. Give them a shot. Maybe the new glide 2.0 stealth.
  • tips09tips09 Members Posts: 219 ✭✭
    Oh man I have been looking for another 2 wedges to go with my vr forged raw gap wedge and its so tough. Love those wedges. I will be following this topic as well to see opinions as well. Good luck.
    Callaway GBB Epic 9* Paderson VMT 870 S+
    Callaway Rogue SZ 15* Project X Hzrdus Yellow 6.0
    Cobra Fly Z 18* Matrix Red Tie 6Q3/ Srixon Z565 3 Iron DGS300
    Srixon Z765 4-PW Project X 6.0
    Nike VR Forged Raw 50* 54* DG S400
    Callaway Mack Daddy PM Grind 58* DG S400
    Cleveland HB #1
    Srixon Z Star
  • jonn443jonn443 Jonnystx Members Posts: 4,587 ✭✭
    Just sharpen your current wedges with a small flat head screwdriver or grab a sharpener from EBay.

Nothing is going to spin like those, except the OG X-Forged MD.
    AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
    AB TP 3HL / 757
    XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
    DWS 24*/ VS Proto
    J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
    X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
    Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0
  • Merle33Merle33 Members Posts: 255 ✭✭
    I used to play those same wedges too. Difficult to duplicate exactly unless you fork over some coin for Artisan wedges.

I’ve gone for the Jet Black SM6 and now SM7 and I’m extremely happy with them now that the D grind is available. Nike always seemed to have some higher bounces than others. Give the SM7’s a try.
  • Brick TamlandBrick Tamland Posts: 266 ✭✭
    Merle33 wrote:

I used to play those same wedges too. Difficult to duplicate exactly unless you fork over some coin for Artisan wedges.

I've gone for the Jet Black SM6 and now SM7 and I'm extremely happy with them now that the D grind is available. Nike always seemed to have some higher bounces than others. Give the SM7's a try.

I haven't hit a ton of other wedges in my 10 years playing golf, had the Cleveland CG12 Black Pearls before the Nikes. I have hit Vokey SM5s and really did not like the feel, very dead feeling to me off the face to me. I hit the black Cobra Tour Trusty a year or two back at some demo day and liked those, so I'll try their new wedge.

I have no problem going with a boutique-y brand but I'm not paying $400 a wedge for PXG. I only need a 54 and 60 so that will cut down on the cost. I'll definitely try the MD4, the Cobras, and the Ping Stealth. I'll be getting fit at 2nd Swing and they sell Bettinardi and Mizuno as well, so that should be plenty of options to find something. They might even have something around from Miura or Fourteen, you never know at that place.
    Nike Forged Black, 54/60
    Scotty GoLo
  • Brick TamlandBrick Tamland Posts: 266 ✭✭
    jonn443 wrote:

Just sharpen your current wedges with a small flat head screwdriver or grab a sharpener from EBay.

Nothing is going to spin like those, except the OG X-Forged MD.

That's the most non-WRX answer I've seen on here. Who tells someone NOT to buy new clubs! It's an idea though, groove sharpeners are cheap and I don't play tournaments or anything like that so probably worth a shot.
    Nike Forged Black, 54/60
    Scotty GoLo
  • ChxDigLongBallChxDigLongBall Members Posts: 484 ✭✭
    I still have a few of those but I I love them too much to sell them.

I love my new Mac Daddy Forged heads. I really hadn't like a Callaway wedge until I got these. Check them out.
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Epic Flash Sub Zero 9* - Fuji Atmos Tour Spec Black 60X[/font]
    [font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epic Flash [/font][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Sub Zero 13.5* -[/font][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Project X Evenflow Black 6.5[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Apex 19 2h- Project X Evenflow Black 6.5
    Apex 19 - 4-6 - DG AMT TI X100[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Apex Pro 19 - 7-PW - DG AMT TI X100
    Mac Daddy 4 Black- 50, 54, 60- DG TI S400
    Odyssey O-Works Jailbird Mini Red[/font]
    [font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif]Odyssey Stroke Lab Tuttle in testing
    Taylor Made TP5[/font]