GIVEAWAY: Vokey SM8 60* Wedge- ENTER HERE, PING Heppler Anser 2 Putter- ENTER HERE.

Black Max vs Utri Tour

rama5 ·  
rama5rama5 Members  385WRX Points: 60Posts: 385 Greens
Which is the better buy? Austad's has Black Max for 29.99 a dozen plus internet discount (that the store in MN respects) for additional 15% off, ($25) or is the Precept Utri Tour for 19.99 the better buy? Consumer Reports gave the Black Max a good rating and the Utri Tour wasn't listed (perhaps because discountined).
Posted:

Comments

• golfernut78golfernut78 BOOMER SOONER Members  3448WRX Points: 0Posts: 3,448
    i have a sleeve of the black max, but have only had a chance to use on one hole, so i can't give an accurate review (wasn't my best hole - but i blame me not the ball). i do however use the u-tri tour. i recently stocked up on some (targer $20/dozen). i'm a big fan of this ball. couple of years ago they would considered "the poor mans pro-v1". i personally think its a better perfromer than the pro-v1. distance is great, control is excellent, and spin around green is great. to me this, ball plays pretty close to the 05 nike one platinum, just a little less spin. very durable ball but still has a soft feel.
    Posted:
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/font]
    [font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif]scotty cameron newport beach[/font]
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • taylormadefantaylormadefan Members, ClubWRX  3649WRX Points: 1Posts: 3,649 Bunkers
    Another vote for the U-Tri Tour. The black max never impressed me. It just doesn't have the green side feel other premium balls have these days. <br />
    <br />
    The U-Tri is a fantastic ball, i bought 3 boxes of them when I heard they were discoutinued. It feels like it sits right inbetween the B330 and B330S performance wise. However, the cover is 100X more durable than either of it's replacements.
    Posted:
  • pitchmaster1224pitchmaster1224 tour fittings since 1893 Members  1285WRX Points: 114Posts: 1,285 Platinum Tees
    never tried the U-tri, but the Blackmax is a very good ball. Good distance and good around the greens as well. Its' a love/hate thing...I have heard guys saying they love it, and guys hating it...but I personally like it a lot
    Posted:
  • rama5rama5 Members  385WRX Points: 60Posts: 385 Greens
    Well since I still have over a dozen left of the Uri Tour, I picked up two dozen of the Black Max, I putted with them felt good. Price likely will continue to drop on them, but from $39 to $25 I felt was a good investment. Now if I could find a couple more dollars I'd pick up another dozen of the Utri tour. (at target) Thanks for the opinions.
    Posted:
  • PING*PING* Members  88WRX Points: 0Posts: 88
    Both are solid and can be had for $20. There's a certain site that I purchased about 6 doz Black Max's for $20 a dozen. I know I've seen it mentioned on here before, just do a search. (Don't want to go against the wrx advertisers)<br />
    <br />
    I've played both. <br />
    <br />
    U-Tri: Overall lower spin than the Black Max. Flatter ball flight on the Driver and Irons<br />
    Black Max: Get's the ball up a little more on the driver and the irons. Spin difference isn't noticeable on the driver but there is definitely more spin on the irons.<br />
    <br />
    Can't go wrong with either. The U-Tri is probably a "beta" version of the B330...
    Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.