Ben Hogan's untold secret grip change

golfbulldog1 ·  
golfbulldog1golfbulldog1 Members  52WRX Points: 47Posts: 52 Bunkers
Not posted for a long time and old username (GBD) doesn't seem to work so I added a 1(GBD1).

Something I noticed about Hogan's grip earlier in the year. I do not think his fingers have slipped... Ted Williams quote about " I just shook a hand that felt like 5 bands of steel" should remove any doubt about that.

I think he changed the postion of the overlapping right little finger from the position he described in his books and he used this variation in the most difficult pressure circumstances he ever encountered on the golf course... he just never made them public.

Posted:

Comments

• moehoganmoehogan Members  1092WRX Points: 154Posts: 1,092 Platinum Tees

Not posted for a long time and old username (GBD) doesn't seem to work so I added a 1(GBD1).

Something I noticed about Hogan's grip earlier in the year. I do not think his fingers have slipped... Ted Williams quote about " I just shook a hand that felt like 5 bands of steel" should remove any doubt about that.

I think he changed the postion of the overlapping right little finger from the position he described in his books and he used this variation in the most difficult pressure circumstances he ever encountered on the golf course... he just never made them public.

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I don't think it's a secret grip modification but rather a vapor trail of what went before. So if during the DS one is winding the left forearm/hand CCW against the CW winding of the right forearm/hand, there will be a pulling up of the right pinkie against the middle knuckle of the left index finger ... all of this designed to keep the clubface stable and square to the clubhead arc through impact by applying opposing forces. If the pull of the right little finger is strong enough, it can slip over the left index finger middle knuckle.

All of the pics you show of this potential slippage (or secret grip mod) are finish or post finish ... I don't think that's a coincidence. How he started is not necessarily how he finished!

Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • PigemsPigems Members  10890WRX Points: 222Handicap: 8.8Posts: 10,890 Titanium Tees
    You’ve never had your bottom hand slip a little through impact before? It happens from time to time.
    Posted:
    910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
    910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
    910h 20* Hybrid - S400
    712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
    SM5 51*, 55*- S300
    TVD 59* M - S300
    Studio Select NP2
  • moehoganmoehogan Members  1092WRX Points: 154Posts: 1,092 Platinum Tees
    Not definitive, but I don't see the left index finger closer to the butt end of the grip than the right pinkie in the pic below.

Posted:
    Post edited by Unknown User on
  • alansmithdcalansmithdc Members  197WRX Points: 78Posts: 197 Fairways

On -, @moehogan said:

golfbulldog1 wrote:

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

I don't think it's a secret grip modification but rather a vapor trail of what went before. So if during the DS one is winding the left forearm/hand CCW against the CW winding of the right forearm/hand, there will be a pulling up of the right pinkie against the middle knuckle of the left index finger ... all of this designed to keep the clubface stable and square to the clubhead arc through impact by applying opposing forces. If the pull of the right little finger is strong enough, it can slip over the left index finger middle knuckle.

All of the pics you show of this potential slippage (or secret grip mod) are finish or post finish ... I don't think that's a coincidence. How he started is not necessarily how he finished!

What a juicy observation. Goes along with my thought that the 3 right hands comment was not for power, but too maintain the integrity action of the swing through impact.

Posted:

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.