(Football) Soccer thread (English Premier League, Champions League)

apple_crumble

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't venture into this folder too often, didn't realize we had a thread for footie. Awesome!
Born and raised in the USA. Due to that, and various other "life reasons," didn't start following the game outside the US until 13 years ago or so. Growing up (I'm 56), not a lot of options for one to follow the game in other countries. At least such as I could find, in the midst of my other distractions. LOL
Began following Liverpool's Champions League run during the first half of 2007, and after a while, found myself following them above all others. Moved into a new house around then, we bought our first flat panel TV, and our local cable TV finally started showing the Fox sports channel(s) that were carrying the Premier League. And off I went, I could follow this Liverpool club that I'd adopted, or had adopted me. Hard to say which, really.
Been a few less than pleasant seasons in there, but the last few have been rather compelling, LOL. Getting Klopp to sign on has been even better than I thought it could be. He was great in Dortmund, but I didn't think him taking over my club would be this incredible. I worried when Buvač left, as much as Klopp relied on him, but they've actually improved after his departure.@Lemurbait I feel badly for you. Poch was solid, I've always carried that bit of dread when his edition of Spurs came 'round the fixtures. And now you have to live with Mourinho. Ugh.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

He'll burn his bridge eventually. Seems like it's two or three years, the last few jobs.

I admit I am completely not a fan of his. LOL

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 2 weeks later...

And Liverpool are Club World Cup champions!

Really couldn't give a monkeys, never been on redcafe as I actually go to the games. Really don't care what pool do as its taken you long enough and Liverpool really should be winning titles ffs you're Liverpool. And I'm serious about Klopp doing the anti knife stuff, instead we get actors that no one listens to. As a parent the knife crime in the North West is scary, and Klopp would actually be listened to..... Maybe I should email him. Ask carlo, Ole etc too

Knife crime is a major issue in the UK full stop. I won’t get into the reasons why or the politics behind it.

on Liverpool winning titles, we have no Devine right to win anything.

FFS we nearly went into administration with those 2 yahoo american cowboys and if it wasn’t for the fans hounding them out we’d be buggered.

Until recently we were losing 2m a game over you lot every home game. Now we have owners who have a plan, first time in 30years. We also have a world class manager. We had one in rafa but he was hounded out and hodgson was brought in FFS. Man said a win v Wolves was utopia to get us out of the bottom 3

We’ve not won the league yet, and if we don’t im not going to cry about it. We have every facet of the club going in one direction, first time since Kenny won the double and after hillsborough.

our net spend is still 500m below city since 2016 and 300m below your lot. We still don’t have yours or cities money so we have to be smart

Nike, even though I despise that company is a great deal and we have a great chief exec who is doing what Edwards and fergie did for a decade.

The rot started in his last few seasons, vanity buys to get to 20

no issue with that but he left an ageing squad. Knowing what we went through after Kenny you’d have thought there was a proper thought process for continuity, but you fucked up as bad as we did

now you’ve reverted to the manu I grew up watching, self entitled fans expecting to win the league every year whilst changing managers every 2 mins with no process in place. Eventually you will work it out, but you aren’t at the top table for players anymore and you have to pay serious money for average players just like we did. Welcome to Liverpool of the 90’s

for the money you have spent this is the worst United squad since the early 80’s and that is criminal

Self entitled.... Just like all supporters. Pool fans are the worse for that by a million miles. But it's nowhere near the worse team since the early 80s....87-90 was faf far worse. Its not been great but a plan is coming and I can actually see something, a glimmer. The youngsters are really coming through with some crackers in line with greenwood and mctomiary looking brilliant and boy the young left back.... Save some money there. But in genera the football has been good the watch, but then a really poor performance comes in. But united are 5th, a few behind Chelsea, in a semi and next round in Europe..... It's hardly bad. Ole is doing OK considering, needs a few players but I like they are going for young hungry players as the other way has been a disaster.

But one thing is for sure, the real hard core united supporters aren't entitled and by far the best in the land, the away support is something else and always has been for 60years plus

• 3 weeks later...

That first ten minutes of the second half reminded me of the second half of the Barcelona game. With the obvious difference of hitting the post and fluffing a sitter, of course, LOL.

As an LFC fan, this has been a lot of fun. I'm probably repeating myself, but I'm not bothered about that too much right now.

?

• 2 weeks later...

Those supporters were outside protesting against the glazers and will be again on Saturday night..... If you lived here you'd know. Local supporters actually trying to stand up to the American parasites that have destroyed the community around this great club. Quite a sight seeing 10,000 supporters outside the ground and not inside.... Hopefully in time it will work as they've been the worse thing ever to happen to united

You have these owners because of one man and his complete lack of self awareness. Ferguson caused what you have and his belief that he was bigger than the club. Roy Keane got it spot on the the rock of Gibraltar saga. That 2h show with Neville was fantastic

and your fans outside Woodward’s house, yeah well done, actions of the intelligent mob

however you are are massive club, but some perspective from the other side, and yes we have been there an done all of it

They were quite happy to turn a blind eye to what was going on backstage when they were still winning titles. The bile is only really turning onto the owners and staff now Liverpool are trouncing them all the way back to the top of the tree. They've lost their heads after glancing down the M62 with envy. They need scapegoats now. Simple as that. 

I don't know what it is about that city, but my god, how deeply entitled they seem to feel. United fans were always a horribly entitled bunch of preening peacocs. Utterly atrocious in the 70s and 80s yet still declaring themselves ''the best''. The media fawning all over them in their abject mediocrity didn't help stem their rampant narcissism. Their pathological jealousy of LFC really kicked in back then. That's when their hatred took off bigtime. We had the success they always thought should have been theirs by right. 

Now we have Abu Dhabi joining the ranks of the grossly self-entitled. Their city seems to be full of swaggering, arrogant, self-righteous and entitled football 'fans' who have lost touch with all reality. They just expect it to simply work out for them. Others who actually earn their success via hard graft, dedication, skill, determination etc are scorned by these clowns who think what others work hard for should simply land on their laps without all the effort that goes with it. 

Facts are, United 'fans' have been indulged by their club and given what they asked for. Yes, the owners are disgusting arsewipes, but this didn't bother them when they were winning things. If they were top of the league tonight and in the CL there would be none of this stuff going on. The problem for them is that Ferguson is no more. He's gone. Their entire ethos has collapsed without him, as most of us knew full well it would. They've had their time. They've had their peak. The likes of the Ferguson era will not be repeated no matter who comes in. I suspect their more sensible ones know this anyway, but seeing Liverpool Champions elect of England and reigning European and World Champions has pushed those with the fragile mentalities right over the cliff and into emotional free-fall. 

They were ok while the going was good. Just like how the blue quarter of their city not only tolerate but actually embrace vile human rights abusers, financial fraudsters and torturers because they are delivering (albeit tainted) success. Imagine if on-field fortunes declined at the Emptyhad now their 'fans' have this mind bogglingly bloated sense of entitlement. The garbage would start flying over there too, well, if they could be arsed turning up to protest

I'm watching Spurs v Man City, find myself in the unusual position of cheering on a Mourinho managed side. LOL

Surprised Sterling wasn't sent off in the first half. That was not a good challenge, he says with understatement.

Yet united supprters didn't get everyone banned with their fans behaviour. Your rant shows to me your utter lack of awareness of what Liverpool did to our game back in the 80s. A common theme this season is that your team are brilliant yet talk about united, its been that bad for you for 30 years that the old scouse trait comes through...... Horrible Losers even worse winners. That's why most other supporters don't want you to win the title, because we'll never hear the last of it..... Ffs just enoy it as in sport it doesn't last long.

And we did care when the glazers took over and had protests while winning things so please stop making things up to try and set your agenda. And don't bother replying to me because I'm done on here, but your pathetic rant about the local united support just to whom I'm one of means I really don't care what a scouse 80s glory hunting wannabe thinks of myself.....goodbye and enjoy your life

Hiya there, I'm just apologising for the above rant. Please accept my apologies, if you can't fair enough. Lost my step dad and I'm finding it a wee bit hard the last few weeks, add brandy and I've been reacting to all sorts including banter. Been same at work so it took a little time off and it's helping.

Just read my post and I'm embarrassed by it, sorry if I've over stepped the mark and sorry again. Wish you well, ta nick

• Like 1

Condolences to you and yours, Nick.

The "losing parents" part of life is something I could have waited for myself, but it's not like they cleared it with me first...